Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/tristanmpa
teoria.com/en/tutorials/
musictheory.net/
youtube.com/watch?v=Q3yqUeiMn_g&list=PLJTWoPGfHxQH5zdZN6UlMPwZerVApkqmk&index=1
youtube.com/user/havic5
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

gogot

I can write music for you if you want. What kind of game?

arise chicken

>if you override a function with no return value, it becomes an event
WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING EPIC
WHO WANTS THIS """"FEATURE""""
HOW DOES IT HELP
IT JUST MAKES THINGS MORE CLUTTERED

Why don't you just collapse it

Just some simple doors transition.

my game is collapsing

sovereign citizen simulator 1998

It will still be there on the main graph being ugly, and not in the "Functions" section of the sidebar where it belongs.

A sci-fi metroidvania set on a planet consumed by an evil nebula, reminiscent of the world of Demon's Souls. Lasers and robots and things are in full force but there are also supernatural happenings.

If it bothers you so much add an output, override it, then delete the output.

It's a weird quirk but holy shit lad.

Is this First Blood: N64 edition?

how long does it usually takes to make a simple song?

I know that works but it's still stupid.
Why is this a feature

I'd guess because functions have restrictions, unlike events. Since there is no output then it might be more useful for it to become an event.

>I'd guess because functions have restrictions
Like what?
The only real difference between them that I'm aware of is that events aren't allowed to return anything.

hopoo if you are reading this, your games are SHIT

t. me

Deadbolt was good though.

>as a shitty demo
like 30 minutes-an hour
>as a finished product
a few days or less depending on how autistic you are about your mixing

>am i being detained?
>am i free to go?

absolutely correct because a function without an assigned return value is mathematically not a function.

m8, I feel like shit.

Is like when I started to draw all over again.

Functions can't use delays, and by their nature of being 'in a box' can't as easily interact with other bits around your graph like getting the outputs of other previously executed functions, access to timelines, their use with timers, there are also some networking implications which I'd guess aren't relevant.

A function with no output is just a bad event which can have local variables (and I'd guess that adding some local variables takes it back to being a function)

I don't see a single reason to play risk of rain, deadbolt was ok though

>Functions can't use delays, and by their nature of being 'in a box' can't as easily interact with other bits around your graph like getting the outputs of other previously executed functions, access to timelines, their use with timers, there are also some networking implications which I'd guess aren't relevant.
Easily handled with futures.

So wouldn't it be bad practice to insert a delay or make it interact with the rest of the graph when it's being called like a function?

Welp, Networking in LibGdx for browsers kinda sucks. Can't really use any outside libraries without it crashing so I'm stuck with basic web sockets. I guess it'll be a nice challenge to make this work.
/blogPost

networking for browsers in general sux
webrtc is a hack and websockets are reliable-only

It's supposed to be crime investigation + survival horror sequences (kinda like deadly premonition or Mizzurna Falls ), but I might just make it pure survival horror since social interaction with multiple choices and endings might be too much of a project.

Level persistence for items is basically done.

Had not really planned it but the system could even handle items dropped by the player.
Which really only makes sense when you have some kind of inventory/weight management in place, which I personally believe is pretty much always an annoying waste of time, so I don't fuckin know.

What even speaks for inventory management?
It's not even realistic or anything.

>reliable-only

I don't understand what that means. I did my software engineering in french.

Oh cool is this Skyrim 2

Easily handled with futures.

Composer here, tell us what you're looking for/what your project is, m8

basically you can only use TCP, not UDP

What's the hard part, the writing or the production? What software are you using?

Also, now that I think about it, if a game looks lo-fi then it can probably get away with lo-fi music. I liked the music in LISA and that was just like fucking default loops he dropped in garage band on mac or whatever he used. Sounds like shit production wise but was whacky enough to be memorable.
But if I was playing a nice looking 3D game I'd expect nice sounding music. You know what I mean?

Hi
I know only the very very basics of programming

but I want to make a "game." A turn based RPG, with just about the same mechanics as Pokemon. I really enjoy competitive Pokemon but there is a lot of shit in it that I think could be fixed to make it overall more fun. I want to make my own version of that, think like the Project M but for Pokemon.

I can't imagine it would be too difficult. Its just a simple turn-based game with 5 stats. I think if I actually put in the effort I could learn how to do it. I'm just not sure where to start. What would be the best way to go about making this?

Alternatively, if there is a way to do it with gamemaker or RPGmaker without having to spend too much time on actually programming... that would be cool.

Functions can call events anyway so this doesn't introduce any new 'risks'

Hey, I'm pretty bored usually and have a bit of free time, I can write whatever you need. I think I'm a decent writer. Whats your project?

you know when someone start to draw he makes those really awfull shit drawings?

same deal but in music.

>tfw picking beggar master race

and you know how you can improve your drawing capacity much faster than normally by learning stuff like perspective or anatomy?

yeah. Go pick up a book or watch some youtube videos on music theory. Now.

Oh, yeah I knew that. I'm not making a game with hundreds of people at the same time so the overhead of tcp vs udp shouldn't be too bad, but we'll see.
Can't believe I hadn't heard of these before, will definitely come in handy thanks.

People say don't use IMGUI because it's expensive to compute layouts every frame. You are a fucking retard if your GUI layout is expensive to compute. Not talking GPU state changes and draw calls and whatnot here, you should cache and reuse as much as possible. Ideally define the types of your GUI API to forbid or at least discourage doing slow things with your GUI.

this is too much progress for me, good work my man

Yeah just keep at it my bro. I've been writing music since I was like 12 years old and I only started getting decent at it these last few couple years. But as long as you think it's fun you have the basis for getting good at it.

just pick whatever engine in the OP and start learning
you will have to spend a lot of time on programming and it will be harder than you think though, don't expect it to be easy or else you will drop it at the slightest issue, making games is not the same as playing games where things always work as intended

shilling my soundcloud:

soundcloud.com/tristanmpa

Since I'm not working on a specific project right now, I'm looking for general ideas/scenarios to write music to/for. Anyone got some suggestions?

Futures are good for pretty much any asynchronous operation you can think of. You can even use them as an API for coroutines.

>sourceposter is butthurt about Godot now
How did I know this would happen?

what do you guys produce vidya music and sound effects with?

Or he can just use blueprints like a normal human being.

I use Ableton for my own music.

because he's been doing the same thing for 2 years?

FL12.

Blueprints are also programming, but with pretty pictures instead of just text.

FL Studio master race here

Comfy.

Reaper, various VSTs & libraires, a microphone and actual musical instruments

this, if you don't know what an array is blueprints can't help you

>welp, time to watch music theory videos.

something something gamedev

no demo this month

Monomyth & Monolith /agdg/ crossover when?

For what purpose? Just practice making music. You might need tutorials for mixing but you only get good at writing by practicing.

>actual musical instruments
I like it how people always have a need to emphasize that, like they are above the others. Yeah, I also have an ACTUAL piano sitting right next to me, big deal.

I only have a PS2 Singstar microphone though, so I'm still a pleb.

where can I see more of this game

>3 days to demo day
>no game
>full tank of gas
>half a pack of cigarettes
>wearing sunglasses

>PS2 singstar microphone
those aren't too bad desu, personally I use the rock band microphone

I literally only specified it because it seems like, in amateur videogame music, being only made with synthesizers and samples is a given, so it would be interesting for the guy who asked to know that there are still people who use live instruments?

I wasn't really trying to act like it made me somehow superior, if that's how I was coming across.

fly

will you buy my game?

how much?

>found a good music theory video
>he calls the notes quaver, crotchet and minim

Do you enjoy inventory management?

1000 copies is enough

Nah, it's fine man, it's just something I see often. NHF. Agree about synths and samples.

I told you music theory is only for fags. Real musicians improvise and follow their heart.

no,

man i regret never learning theory. I'm pretty good at guitar but always just read tab

>TMPA

I don't know what it means but I would suggest using more contrast colors instead of black background and dark navy blue.

If you are looking for the basics, check out these:

teoria.com/en/tutorials/

musictheory.net/

youtube.com/watch?v=Q3yqUeiMn_g&list=PLJTWoPGfHxQH5zdZN6UlMPwZerVApkqmk&index=1

youtube.com/user/havic5

There are more resources on some reddit threads if you want, I'm too lazy to link to all of them now.

You are not going to get around programming for a game like that.

Nothing is stopping you from starting learning it right now.

Hey look it's rise of iron, raid titan armor holding the fire axe.

Hey monolithdev. I LOVE YOUR GAME, BEST GAME AGDG EVER RELEASED, RoR HAS NO SHIT ON THIS.

And I don't even play danmaku shmups, but maybe I'll try some out now

literally just my initals, haha. I know I'll have to get a better logo at some point, I'm just kinda shit at making those.

do it m8. Learning song actually goes much faster with scores (or just general music theory knowledge, ie scales, harmony etc) than it ever is with tabs.

>trying to make "simple" puzzle game about boxes with puzzles on each side
>already at a point where trying to comprehend and figure out how to make this thing is impossible.

I'm using Unreal's Blueprint system. What's a good, reliable way to get help as I make this fucking thing?

depends on the game.

im going to force my game's inventory to be small so that the player doesnt travel too far without storing.

i just find it stupid that a player can hold a billion items while walking around in a semi-realistic setting.

I also makes getting inventory slot upgrades so much more satisfying.

tl;dr, unlimited inventory is fucking stupid

Yeah i might have to once I finish all my art. Shouldn't be too hard seeing as though I can already easily arrange fingerstyle versions of songs by ear on guitar.

Oh hey, I'm making a similar design, my character is based around using a magic hammer and a magic spear. Good shit. Are you making the animations yourself or using blueprints?

How about for a game with progression similar to Souls or the earlier resident evils?

Souls games have unlimited inventory because resource scarcity is less important when opening the inventory doesn't pause the game and using an item makes you vulnerable for 5 seconds.
On top of that, healing items are usually rare so there's no need to limit your ability to carry them.

I haven't played Resident Evil but the early games were survival horror and survival horror absolutely NEEDS resource scarcity. Whether you choose to enforce that through a limited inventory or by making the most useful items rare is up to you.

A limited inventory is best used when you want to force the player to make decisions about which items to take with them.

dead thread
s to spit on grave

S

c

How's your game user?

On its steam greenlight page

f