/smtg/ - 真・女神転生/Shin Megami Tensei General

New 3DS game is called "Deep Strange Journey/Strange Journey Redux" further info and teaser:

atlus.com/strangejourney/home.html
shin-megamitensei.jp/dsj/
youtube.com/watch?v=kJ-5x5IaYFA

SMT HD Project teased at Nintendo Switch Presentation:
youtube.com/watch?v=ALfkAh4iZ6o

>Starter guide
i.imgur.com/zJcYpuE.png

>Tips and tricks
pastebin.com/J6ER3Eve

>Artbook, soundtrack, manga, and other downloads
pastebin.com/NqLRYf5n

>OST links
pastebin.com/kLbYxjFU

>Misc. translations
pastebin.com/pgEWmYfH

>Booru
smtg.booru.org/

>Recommended reading
pastebin.com/ByiXrDGX

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/RIa79bTDuV4
youtube.com/watch?v=UYs1PoodL8M
youtu.be/BuQxQMgNYpM?t=6s
dijeh.tumblr.com/tagged/deep-strange-journey
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Love that new thread smell

is there a reason why atlus dropped off so much after the ps2?

when in doubt, blame index

From last thread, Predictions for SMT Switch

Am I the only one who bought a Switch for the next SMT?

I haven't bought one yet, but I intend to get one around the holidays this year and SMT is one of the biggest reasons.

I want to high ten that cute girl.

That's a stupid fucking idea. You're like the people who bought the Gamecube for that Zelda demo, or a Wii U for BoTW.

>Am I the only one who bought a Switch for the next SMT?

i bet you bought a wii u for #fe

>You're like the people who bought the Gamecube for that Zelda demo
The GCN was a great system though.

Yes, but they never got that Zelda game they wanted, just Wind Waker.

Never buy a console until the games you actually want on it are already out; that way you get it for cheaper, there might be hardware revisions, and you know you'll actually get what you want.

I havent owned a nintendo console since Wii, try harder. Tried out BotW with basic Zelda expectations and ended up having a really nice time. I dont regret my Switch purchase.

Doesnt help that SMTxFE is the abomination that it turned out to be

EO get better at the 3DS though.

I'll get one when Xenoblade 2 comes out.

did you forget that TP was on the GCN too as well

>buying an overpriced zelda machine
>bragging about skipping a single nintendo console

wow senpai super impressive

have a Jihad you guys

>Yes, but they never got that Zelda game they wanted, just Wind Waker.
Wait, I thought you were talking about Wind Waker? What are we talking about?

Yes. In my defense, my mind categorizes that as a Wii game.

Even then, though, that was released six years later after that Spaceworld demo.

(You)

youtu.be/RIa79bTDuV4

2000 Zelda tech demo. People assumed that the next game would be like said tech demo. Wind Waker ended up being basically the polar opposite.

The Wii U and the 3DS are two console generations.
I totally forgot about this, huh.
On a positive note, Wind Waker ended up being pretty great.

After playing Devil Summoner I'm thinking of giving Soul Hackers a replay in Japanese. How much of a downgrade would the PS1 version be from the 3DS one?

>3ds
>console

hmmmmm

Personally, I think that Wind Waker would be better than whatever that demo would become if it was fleshed out into a full game.

I just like to think of it as a cautionary tale. funnily enough, they did a similar thing with a Zelda tech demo for the Wii U, although iirc it was made much clearer that that was a tech demo.

what did he mean by this?

I miss the old Titania designs.

I was too young to remember, did many people actually buy the console thinking the tech demo was a future game?

I'm personally waiting out on buying a Switch because of the hardware revisions like you've said earlier. I'm hoping they fix that apparently bending issue, and maybe give us a decent dock that doesn't scratch the damn system.
Also because I can just borrow a sibling's console for now.

seeing classic oberon and titania in p5 brought a genuine smile to my face

why would you buy a console for a game that's not coming out for another 2 years at least

Can someone give me a disappointed Decarabia?

They were always together in Mementos and they were a boss fight in Shido's ship. That was cute.

hey we didn't get Johnathan posting last time
so, we do it again

People thought it was a teaser for things to come. Hell, people probably went out to buy a Switch based entirely on the Prime 4 promo image. Despite knowing literally nothing about the game.

>people probably went out to buy a Switch based entirely on the Prime 4 promo image
While the mentality is a bit dangerous (see: SMTxFE), I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing as long as they wanted other games like Odyssey. Like a breaking point.

Not to mention that people were begging for this shit for like a decade. I'd be really tempted to buy a Switch for a new Phantasy Star, personally.

ARPG Openworld adventure with a fully talking protagonist featuring Instant noodles from the Maruchan franchise

I'm just saying I sure as hell wouldn't recommend it.

maybe people would laugh if you didn't post these in every single fucking thread

Is Maitreya any good? Love the design, but his stats and affinity seems pretty mediocre. Enlightment is a nice skill, but i doubt the AI would bother attacking him after i use it. Doesn't help that Almighty isn't that good in this game.

maybe people would laugh if SMT had MORE MEMES

meme machine broke

I hate being niche
I hate seeing those same memes over and over

We can create new memes with our own two hands.

I already get to laugh all the time because Law is such a joke

SMT worlds when?

There's a difference between tired of seeing the same memes, and some fag spamming the same memes every thread, in a row.

then where the fuck are they

You have to make them.

the people over at reddit seem like it.

how about (You) do it

(You) are the one complaining about the same memes every day.

the icbms cant come soon enough, fuck this thread

If you want new, funny memes then do them yourself you lazy fuck. Do them well. And leave something witchy.

Toot.

OH SHIT THIS NIGGA BE DABBIN

KANEKO THINK HE SLICK

truly, the quality memes that this thread needs.

where's the Krishna version of this

hey when does this play? refresh my memory
youtube.com/watch?v=UYs1PoodL8M

I remember seeing somebody on Twitter have a husbando shrine like that, except it was Raidou and it was much larger.

Sounds like they have much better taste than that Adachifag.

WE WUZ BELS AN SHIET

>naked bathhouse fight
Yakuza x Raidou when

youtu.be/BuQxQMgNYpM?t=6s

smt x homm when

Heroes of Law and Chaos.

I found this translation of Doi's comments on Amon. How popular is Akira in Japan?

dijeh.tumblr.com/tagged/deep-strange-journey

Should demons that appear in Shin Megami Tensei be drawn closer to their real world counterpart, or a stylistic interpretation of the god?

It should be a mix of the two done appropriately, with some exceptions for certain demons whose role in the plot makes them appear otherwise, like Dagda.

The thing is there are often many ways to interpret the same mythological figure, so one has to compromise certain elements.

The latter, because it allows creativity and originality. It's one of the things that the SMT franchise is known for.

Of course, not all demons are good interpretations. Incubus comes to mind, especially in comparison to Succubus. Not sure what the hell Kaneko was thinking on that one.

I don't get what real world counterpart is even supposed to imply here. They're all interpretations, even the ones in scripture and shit.

DICK SPIKES

The dick spike is the only good thing on that design

I think what he's saying is should more demons be like Ishtar, who looks straight out of her myth of origin, or something like Krishna, who looks nothing like the blue skinned half naked flute player Krishna usually is but is more a stylish interpretation.

Real World Counterpart was supposed to imply that demon being drawn closer to how they are depicted in the myths or ancient artwork.

post demons you want to see HD-fied so badly

Oh, that makes more sense.

Here's a free one I made for unrelated reasons.

>no I am fiend/demon man
aaaaaaaaa

I just copypasted the Japanese characters beside his name on the Megami Tensei Wiki so I'd have something relevant to fill in there. No one in my circle of friends (myself included) knows Japanese, so cut me some slack.

Your circle of friends is trash then, you should kill them.

kill all your friends

did you just say
friends?

Jack Frost variants like Lucifrost, Frost Five, Demonhee-ho
DeSu's Bels, or at least Baldur
IV's good demon designs such as Minotaur, Chironuppu, Krishna, etc
Mastema, Bugaboo because I want to feel awful
more husbando demons

>Mastema, Bugaboo because I want to feel awful
Only played IV, why does no one like Mastema? He seems like a chill guy.

He's manipulative and near solely responsible for painting Law as a bunch of sneaky assholes.

if Filipinos are the strongest, why are they Lawfags?

In SJ he's the demon law rep, and like most law reps what he does and intend to is a bit over the line

Jesus. Why is law more edgy than chaos? Doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose? When law in IV got to the point of "Smite those who read manga" I couldn't tell if it was some kind of satire or jab at Christianity. I know the old testament isn't all sun & roses but damn. You'd think angels would pretend to be something other than Evil Megazord.

t. Mastema

something something genocide is good if it kills people we deem as bad

Law is all about two things: peace and equality, and maximizing peace as much as possible. You'd think this would translate to the angels being very polite or well meaning but it ends up with them not believing humanity is capable of creating its own peace and more often than not slaughtering them so they can lessen the amount of humans who would refuse to listen to them.

Like in IV, Merkabah justifies his actions by claiming any outside influence, namely manga, will hurt Mikado's peace. And the thing is we're just supposed to believe him, because even though he does what he set forth to do (create eternal peace) we don't know if genociding Tokyo was the only way. That's the grand hypocrisy of Law. In extreme cases, like Mastema, they believe their way is the best at maintaining peace and all people should give up personal freedom and free will to be cogs in a well oiled machine.

Is that poster /u/bunker_man? What a fucking faggot. He honestly sounds like he dropped out of his community college's philosophy course.

That he also genuinely believes in a Law society and justifiable genocide also shows he missed the whole fucking point of the franchise, does he not get that extremism is bad?

I want more Yasuda