ITT: Sleepers that actually work on car people

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0tBM6T27WVg
youtube.com/watch?v=Jks9ZF-YS0I&t=148
youtube.com/watch?v=_kwjzwvkf-c
youtube.com/watch?v=HHxW-NxkHRo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

How is that POS 6000 a sleeper?

A "Sleeper" is a Volvo 850R or a Ford Flex with a tune.

>being too inept to turn a lemon into a sleeper
It's almost like you have never worked on a car before.

I've owned GM shitboxes with L67, LG5 and LQ1.

I could sorta seee the buick being "sleeper-ish", but most new cars and SUV's these days will reel in one of those pretty quick even if it has pully, aftercooler, shift kit, etc.

What am I missing on the 6000? It's not even the (slower) STE model. Just a bone stock 2.8 EFI with 130hp max.

You do realize the best sleepers are cars nobody would ever expect to go fast, right? Ever heard of an engine and transmission swap?

so I guess itt you post anything you want

Getting mad on the internet

people do it no idea why

but if a sleeper is a 15 second car then just about anything is a sleeper

Is the flex really a sleeper? Would a Taurus SHO take the same mods and be just as sleeper? I miss how comfy my old Taurus was, and I would love to troll in a 400+ HP Taurus.

I dont know if this is a sleeper or not but my parents got the fully optioned out 2016 Yukon Denali XL with the 6.2l GMC engine. Its so fast my mom can't help but to race it. If you've seen one youd think it was absolute pigfat but the fucker moves

Flex does 0-60 in 5.7 and runs low 14s stock which I dont think most would ever expect

then of course you can start modding it

pic related runs low 12s

>muh LS1 swop

"Sleepers" generally are configured with an engine normally provided with a performance variant of the same (or closely related) car.

Are you suggesting putting an L67 in an old A body Pontiac 6000? Why? That wouldn't be a sleeper. That would just be an ugly, unsafe piece of shit that would be marginally faster than the Park Ave the motor came out of. Then you'd be lucky if the shitty brakes can slow you down. Thats not a sleeper. Thats a hoovies garage tier ebay poorfag swap.

A brand new V6 camry would still smoke it.

I have one of those.
Transmission is going (leaky, stopleak only helps so much), got a near-bald tire, and some rust to take care of.

Ford Flex is definitely a sleeper.

Have a friend with a lightly modified flex. I'm hammering on my LS430 with almost 300hp, and hes driving normal, trying to follow him home to make sure his wife can handle him if he gets beligerent (drunk. She was driving).

They are definitely sleepers. They are hard on their transmissions though. Thats a lot of weight and a lot of power to stress for a transmission designed for normie sedans to handle.

You upgrade the brakes too, dumbass.

Take that dangerous piece of shit off the road user.

Fucking bald tire drivers are a menace

not on one of those garbage cars youre not

That's literally the point of a sleeper, to find a way to do all that shit.

Usually it comes in the form of compatible better brakes from similar or newer models rather than gaudy aftermarket shit

Mercury Marauder

No. A sleeper is a car that looks like the slow version, but has the engine from the top car in it. Or the regular motor, but modified. Like a F-150 Ecotec with shit tons of boost, or base looking camry, but with the V6.

You are describing a frankencar shitbox. Because once you start doing bigger brakes, wider tires, different suspension, big exhaust, bigger engine sound, etc, etc. Then you start giving away that it's not a "sleeper" anymore.

You're just a busrider that was gifted a free car from your dead grand-aunt, and want to make it into something that you can laugh at the people laughing at you, but on a pittance Taco Bell job rate.

Third gen V6 Rav4. Was the fastest car Toyota produced for a time. 3.5 liter, 270 hp. 2GR-FE like the Lotus Evora with a lower redline. Learned to drive in one. My dad did not approve when I learned how sort of hektik it was. I believe Toyota didn't have a cucked engine to provide the North American market at the time to competitively tackle hills and freeways compared to its competitors, and they shoved this thing in. They quickly fixed that with the next generation, and none of the Rav4s following were interesting.

youtube.com/watch?v=0tBM6T27WVg

>Because once you start doing bigger brakes, wider tires, different suspension, big exhaust, bigger engine sound, etc, etc. Then you start giving away that it's not a "sleeper" anymore.
Well yeah, considering most of that is not performance shit.

oh, so you're going to run a L67 with 2.75" pully and other mods in a stock A-body?

have fun lighting up the right front wheel there Cletus.

Yeah, those things fucking screw.

You can get something a lot calmer than an L67 that will still surprise any stangfag who tries to race you

That's what a sleeper is

You're imparting arbitrary bullshit rules onto the definition that simply don't exist

Did that BMW even fucking move?

The Rav4 achieved relativistic velocities. How can BMW even compete?

>no need for 240 hp to surprise people

ok, now it's definitely not a sleeper. Keep having big dreams for Auntie Millie's old car.

>imblyging

What arbitrary bullshit rules dictate what trailer park mad swap make a "sleeper" at the ICP concert parking lot?

A sleeper is simply a car that nobody expects to go fast by looking at it that actually can go fast

>What arbitrary bullshit rules dictate what trailer park mad swap make a "sleeper" at the ICP concert parking lot?
That you can't really tell by looking at it (e.g. don't get the wide tires or the big exhaust silly)

If it is a factory variant intended to be a sleeper.

Dumb hillbilly OP is describing a trailer-park corner of Hot Rodding.

Then you are never going to get traction in an A body with an L67 swap. Even a stock L67. Then it's not a "sleeper" It's just a Cletus the fag pillbilly smoke show.

(pic related) is made expressly for hurting feelings in the modern age.

>If it is a factory variant intended to be a sleeper.
Nobody else but you has ever thought that

The most immaculate sleeper of the last 20 years.
Absolutely perfect.

I don't know what that means but this does 0-60 in under 6.

(pic related) is fast as balls.

Except the companies that make the cars....

S and RS audis are NOT sleepers. They are well known as fast cars. Maybe if you changed out a S4 to look like an A4 (harder than it sounds), it might be a sleeper.

Most HURR DURR MURICA trucks are pretty fucking fast, it's not really surprising

And if you want to try and rolling-race somebody on the freeway, do not let it be this guy.

It's pretty impressive to see the big suburban sized escalades move out like that, but it's really no different than any other $90-$120k luxury SUV's. If not, slower.

Nigger, nobody but car people even know what an Audi is, let alone an S or RS.
Get a grip.
Normies would line up with you in a second without thinking, and you would hurt their feelings.

No, it is.

For a long time, they were not impressive.

Recent LSx variants and Ecomeme engines changed that in regular models (excluding raptors, likghtings, SRT's etc).

So are the GM 6.2's with the 8 speed and a tune. 0-60 in the low 5's and they keep going.

Maybe you live in a poor people area?

I don't. They hand these out to kids around here as a reward for wadding up the Mustang GT they got for a 16th birthday gift.

Oldsmobile Aurora any one??

Ecoboost all day, tho.
I mean sure, they will be grenades by 60K probably, but have you driven one?
The torque is astonishing, brother.
Astonishing.

If you mean by "a poor people area" a "not silly dickwaving area" then yes, I live in a poor people area.

Slow as fuck.

leave the used GM trailerpark guy. The 90's 2000s sucked

It's like 6 feet longer and 1000's of lbs heavier. That's impressive for something that size.

Aren't most stock diesel trucks gutless on the highway? F450 box trucks sure are. I can't imagine that being any better. Now with a tune it's a little different story.

>call me dickwaver
>wants to show up other cletuses in their spurious clapped out Diesel trucks that OP is fast too with a Buick Lesabre motor stuck in a rusty Chevy Celebrity Eurosport

Haven't tried them yet but I'd still take less torque and a simpler and more reliable engine. I don't quite trust them out in the middle of nowhere. I'm sure they're nice in the city though. Id I wanted torque I'd buy one of the new diesels with almost xxxxtq.

The only reason that doesn't work on me is because I own its distant relative the Probe GT

They are gutless when pulling a load like many of them do, bobtail they are pretty god damn quick.

These people "get" what a "sleeper" is.

Why is OP insisting that his trailer-rod is a sleeper?

Camaro SS
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 10.6 sec
Ford F350
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 5.3 sec

BEASTMODE

Sorry, the SS Camaro should say
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 10 secs
Woops

Ain’t was that a 626GT?

My nigga that is a sleeper

Well done

Ford F350
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 3.9 sec

youtube.com/watch?v=Jks9ZF-YS0I&t=148

my friend used to work at toyota and said the trannies grenaded themselves past 115k since they were made for anemic 4 cylinders

I drive an Ecoboost F150 regularly and the torque really does push you back in your seat, and you can roast the tires without issue. They've also finally been proven to reach 200k reliably in fleet use, which I've been waiting to see forever.
GM's 6.2 and 6.0 are still wayyyy better engines all around.

That makes sense. Shame the shits didn't come in manual either. Wonder if there's a tranny that could replace it.

Sooooo old tho.

>brakes, suspension, exhaust, tires
>not performance shit
idiot

The premise of this thread is good because the car that became known for being a sleeper, the Regal TT, is so well known because of the Grand National and the GNX that the whole point is defeated. The regular Regal TT is still good because it's not obvious what it is if it's not in all black, but overall a sleeper does not work if you know that it's high performance like a Grand National.

tl;dr Regal TT>GNX & Grand National

Lol. No.

youtube.com/watch?v=_kwjzwvkf-c
fucking georgians man

>270hp
>sleeper

kek

2018 Toyota Camry XSE V6
/thread

Or I could just replace it, which I intend to do.

Main reason I bought my gvr4 was just because I love how subtle and sleeper they look.
Even among car guys - they might know DSM's but unless they're actually a well versed DSM enthusiast a lot of them don't even know these things exists.

If I ever had many millions of dollars in disposable cash, I would take one of these, not even the ultra, or a lesabre, and swap in the most powerful thing I could get my hands on, and endeavor to make it a quiet as possible.

>nobody but car people even know what an Audi is

That`s bullshit and you know it. Audi is the ultimate posermobile.

youtube.com/watch?v=HHxW-NxkHRo

i drive an LS430. no one expects this.

I have in car mechanic simulator 2018

yup and that appears to be the overseas version judging by those wheels which is even faster than the one Burgerland got. I can't tell but it might be the ultra-rare liftback version of which we did get in the States.

Burgerland got the F2T single cam 12-valve turbo that still did a modest 150hp and 190tq though we have found over the years they were factory underrated because they're faster than the Gen2 V6 KL and they can do 400whp on a stock bottom end with a good tune no sweat, same with the G25-H trans they come with.

The overseas version got the FE3 DOHC 2.0L turbo which had way more power and a much better head and a bulletproof truck bottom end and iron block but they are very scarce unless you can find a first-gen Kia Sportage. The whole drivetrain was out of a first-gen MX6 GT or Probe GT.

Any 80's shitbox on the road still is suspect nowadays that's the golden age of the Turbo generation even economy cars had them back then and normies don't care about old cars like that.

>this entire thread
>the staggering amount of mouthbreathers claiming they know what a sleeper is
>holy fuck the autism
>i don't even know anymore what's bait and what's genuine retardation

A sleeper is literally any shitbox modified to be fast as fugg. None of this "faster version from the same factory" or what fucking ever, you could buy a Twingo and if you manage to slap a v12 in that bitch along with the necessary mods to not fucking die (tranny, suspension, brakes etc) while from the outside it still looks like the average shitbox, that's a fucking sleeper.
What the fuck are y'all niggas even arguing about?

Butt hurt because one outran your shitstang

Whoa whoa, the first gen Kia Sportage was turbo? Not in the states it wasn't

PT Cruiser GT. A 5-speed with bolt-ons, bigger injectors, and a tune will surprise the shit out of you with an 11.2s 1/4 mile.

It wasn't turbo but the Sportage used the same or hilariously similar FE3. I don't know if the blocks are identical but I know they share a LOT of parts.

So then why not just go with the F2T? Sure it's a SOHC head, but it's a 3 valve head and has a lot more support in the NA market

overseas didnt have a turbo FE3 but just all motor

but it had the same hp as the F2T in low compression and 170hp in high compression

Kia Sportage was longitudinal and requires quite a bit of work to convert to transverse but other than that the FE3 drops right in a GC chassis

that said I still like the F2T because holy shit that torque and as you said 400whp most Ive seen was 440whp using a turbo from a Ford diesel and it only blew up after a 100shot was added

fucker would change lanes on the highway just from flooring it tho

the FE3 is a much better engine and will make much more power over a F2T when boost is applied

but its not like Kia used it in hopes of people tuning Sportages and hey its better to have a simple DOHC than an 80s tech turbo engine in your little suv

This
I'm so autistic about worn tires that my first order of business on any vehicle I buy is to put 4 new tires on it and save the best used as a spare.
Fuck used tires, ever since I had one explode on me 10 minutes after parking after I was going 75.
"Like new" my ass, I could have fucking died

Yeah. I'm sure that red RS badge isn't a giveaway.

>tfw no crazy 300+whp 4WD Sportage gf
JDIMSA

kek. I bet those 276 BHP do literally nothing in that car since it weighs more than your mum.

what is this and why have i never even heard of it? is this a US car?
what exactly makes it so special. i love boxy looking shitboxes like that

The Legacy Spec B is a pretty good factory sleeper. The only thing is the bonnet intake that makes it look a bit WRX-ish but apart from that it's very understated
Other than that, a debadged E39 M5 or Lotus Carlton (badged as an Omega in Yurop)

0-60 5.6 seconds. In a Skoda. With the same AWD system as the Golf R. They've done a pretty good job. Just a shame no one will buy it.

would b cool

its a Galant with a 4G63T and awd

define sleeper

that thing is fucking hideous, i remember my PE teacher had one.

mitusbishi galant vr4 (1st generation), or eterna for non vr-4

I know a mechanic who dailies one of these always towing a 15 ft trailer loaded with landscaping equipment That he uses for his side job.

>tfw PE teacher and own 3 PT Cruisers

>A sleeper is a car that looks like the slow version, but has the engine from the top car in it.
It's actually just a car that's significantly faster than it looks.

A newish Corolla. People expect a civic, but not the soccer mom car.

christ dude stop posting you're the fucking worst