Are fuel additives a meme? are there any fuel additives you use for every tank that are actually useful?

are fuel additives a meme? are there any fuel additives you use for every tank that are actually useful?

how often do you use pic related?

Other urls found in this thread:

hildstrom.com/projects/seafoam/
seafoamsales.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Sea-Foam-Motor-Treatment-SDS-v20161205-ENG.pdf
collectioncare.org/MSDS/naphthamsds.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=WdT4DPFXIkM
youtu.be/hD10edu1ADg
youtu.be/eGK9IohEH90
redlineoil.com/content/files/tech/MSDS SI-1 6-11.PDF
amsoil.com/msds/api.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

are there PEAs in it?
>yes
then it's gud stuff
>no
it's a meme
/thread

so basically it would be useless to use any additive in every tank because there would be nothing for it to clean out?

I’ve used Seafoam to great effect several times. Dumping it in the tank cleans injectors and carbs. Made my motorcycle and chainsaw run smoother and hesitate less.
Smoothed out a rough idle on my car.
Sucking it through the manifold cleans out the valves pretty nice.

I use some enzyme additive I buy at Lowe's any time I feel like there's gunk in the fuel filter or injectors. Google it, it has great reviews. I think it's called Star something.

Additives for petrol engines are a meme because gasoline is a detergent itself.
Additives for Diesel engines are preventing soot from gas-oil combustion.
This is why I only fill my tank with premium gas-oil (like BP Ultimate).

slow down there, turbo
first off there are several types of additives
>do you pour it into gas?
>it's an additive
this includes octane boosters and fuel stabilizers that aren't designed to clean anything
and others (like seafoam) are just denatured spirits and solvents, hence why you want one with PEAs which actually do something
>or you can keep buying paint thinner for ridiculous markups

>it would be useless to use any [cleaning] additive
i just said it wasn't, PEA is a great detergent dingus
>in every tank
this is a meme,
a few treatments one after the other may improve results but not every fillup;
maybe once a year if that
>because there would be nothing to clean out?
fuel has detergents in it to prevent deposits
the cheaper the fuel the fewer detergents
so if you constantly get the cheapest gas, additives may help to remove fuel varnishes in the system and injectors
IT WILL NOT REMOVE TANK RUST or clean the tank in any way other than removing varnishes or gummy deposits from cheap or evaporated fuel

There is a whole aisle full of this type of crap at any auto parts store and I tell everyone to avoid it.

now we're getting somewhere. are octane boosters a meme?

ur a retard, srsly my dude
just use mineral spirits in ur pt cruiser and save some bucks

u too,
>To counter the problem, Czech scientist Dr. Kio Marv bio-engineers a new species of algae, OILIX, that could produce petroleum-grade hydrocarbons with little expense and effort.
what is this product called, doctor marv?

I generally use Seafoam in my gas tank and oil every time I get an oil change. I also add Lucasoil since my car burns oil.

I honestly have no idea if it's worth it to do it that much, but when I first bought my car, it was having misfires several times a day. Putting Seafoam in the gas tank helped more than using Techron by Chevron (or maybe it just cleared up what the Techron didn't finish dissolving).

>are octane booster a meme
uh, yeah
it's just methanol/ethanol
>add a pint of alcohol to a 15 gallon tank
>+1 AKI, here we come!
only good for removing water from a fuel system

seafoam fixed a misfire for me too, after two cans in one tank. ive read that youd want to use a cleaner and finish the tank before an oil change instead of after, so that no shit being cleaned out of the fuel system get into the new oil

No one knows what the fuck is in seafoam but it works too. Not really well if you just put it in your gas tank, the intake spray is good for valves though. I suppose it might clean the injectors a bit but dirty injectors are made up, they don't actually exist. They fail electronically a long time before they get "dirty".

>no one knows!
hildstrom.com/projects/seafoam/
>what is this MSDS you speak of?
seafoamsales.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Sea-Foam-Motor-Treatment-SDS-v20161205-ENG.pdf
>what do you mean, hydrocarbons?
collectioncare.org/MSDS/naphthamsds.pdf
>Hydrocarbon liquids INCLUDING THIS PRODUCT
i'm not saying it doesn't work,
i'm saying you're getting jewed and should spend money on better products

i've opened a few mitsubishi engines driven 230k and there was almost no carbon buildup. the carbon on the valves would have needed steel wool to get it off so there's no way sea foam could have taken care of it

werx gud

Every 100k miles though the break booster

>are fuel additives a meme?
Get top tier gasoline from Costco which has 5X the required minimum amount of detergent. Top Tier also has other requirements for gasoline such as a required limit on sulfur content, no metallic additives, etc.

I had an older 1994 Mazda Mx-3 and I ran some through the gas tank and intake a few times and it did wonders. It's really only effective if the car actually needs it from years of neglect.

>better products
such as?

I use 2 stroke oil in my gas (TCW-3), 1oz per 5gal

Makes the car turn over faster, run quieter, and seemingly rev easier. It only adds about 0.3% to the cost of gas so I've been using it for a long time. Engine seems to love it.

I would but they hate Mastercard for some reason. I usually buy gas from Kroger.

youtube.com/watch?v=WdT4DPFXIkM

I run two stroke oil in my old 2.5 td Pajero, 200:1 ratio, it reduces the smoke and gives a noticeable bump in power.

surely this is bait

no homo, but i find his autistic nature somewhat adorable

I definitely have improved performance using seafoam.

If you fill up with exclusively low quality haji gas and never redline the engine, they help to clean some shit out. It is pretty much a once or twice a year treatment, though. If you use them too much it is pointless because there is nothing to clean.

Do you have issues with lubricating and adding cleaning additives to your gas?

A 4L jug of TCW-3 is like $20 at Walmart and lasts over a year.

Tell me, does your exhaust spew blue smoke?

Never. Tcw-3 is made to be combusted and when added to fuel there is less black soot. If anything it can clean your exhaust of soot or at least prevent it.

Without: youtu.be/hD10edu1ADg

With: youtu.be/eGK9IohEH90

Which is burning visibilily cleaner?

I've run seafoam through carb'ed engines, and while I think it'd improved things it may be placebo.

PEA is the deal deal but $$$.

You'd end up with mega-carbon-build-up I'd assume.

Also rare terry.

waste of money. Buy beer instead. Some times seafoam works to clean carboned up intakes

I honestly don't know if it works

Only thing that will clean carbon is steam. The way to steam an engine is fill up a gallon gun of water and use a very tiny line and suck it in slowly through a vacuum port. Ever seen a piston in a cylinder from a water jacket damaged on a head gasket. It looks like new from the steam.

>I would but they hate Mastercard for some reason.
Mastercard debit cards are accepted inside the Costco warehouse. But the Costco Gas stations signed a monopoly deal with Visa to exclude Mastercard and Amex from the gas station.

In order to use the gas station with mastercard, you have to buy costco gift cards at the warehouse using your mastercard. The gas stations will accept costco gift cards as payment.

Why not use a visa gift card instead?

>wait in line for an hour to save a couple bucks

use it before oil changes makes my eyes burn on cold starts

is that a good thing

I think so

Because why do you want to reward Visa for their monopoly? Well, I suppose you can go to Target and buy Visa debit cards.

But more seriously, the costco gas station checks for a costco membership card. So if you don't have a membership card or a costco gift card, then you won't activate the pump.

i only use seafoam on long trips in the summer. First time I ever used it my chevy 2.2 went from avg 35mpg to a solid 38.8 mpg. this was the pout it in the tank can. it stayed around 38 for a year then it dropped to like 37 avg and the next summer on a long 3000 mile drive I used it again and got it to 29mpg once but avg out to 38.3 ish.

now.. this is a 2.2 with 80k90k heres the odd part.
Always used reg oil - whatever is called for , some 20w 5 stuff I think. But thsi last time I thought its time to give it some good stuff.

so I put in Mobil one synth.
Fuel mileage drops to a rock bottom 32mpg instantly. Never more never less. 32.3. plu sit used a quart for its first time. one to 5000 miles -i always changed reg oil around 3500 but since this is supposed to be some WunderOil I was going to go to 6000.
car now needs oil changed. should I standard back or redo mobil1? its not a cost thing its a I want it to not fail and live thing.

seafoam gets a thumbs up from me though and that was all unrelated to this last issue.

they're a meme
if anything to clean out your engine, put in premium fuel

i only use seafoam on long trips in the summer. First time I ever used it my chevy 2.2 it went from avg 35mpg to a solid 38.8 mpg. this was the 'put it in the tank 'can. it stayed around 38 for a year then it dropped to like 37.0 avg and the next summer on a long 3000 mile drive I used it again and got it to 39.4 mpg once but avg out to 38.3 ish.

now.. this is a 2.2 with 80k90k heres the odd part.

Always used reg oil - whatever is called for , some 20w 5 stuff I think. But thsi last time I thought its time to give it some good stuff.

so I put in Mobil one synth.
Fuel mileage drops to a rock bottom 32mpg instantly. Never more never less. 32.3. plu sit used a quart for its first time. one qt to 5000 miles
-i always changed my reg oil around 3500mi but since this is supposed to be some WunderOil I was going to go to 6000.
car now needs oil changed. should I go standard oil again or redo mobil1? its not a 'cost thing' its a 'I want it to not fail and live' thing.

seafoam gets a thumbs up from me though, and that info was all unrelated to this last issue.

Did.....did he really quote metal gear?

I only use shell premium fuel and every 6~ months or so I’ll put a bottle of Lucas in on fillup. Been doing it for a few years.

um lets see
ANYTHING WITH PEA

* Gumout Regane (30-40% PEA content based on published MSDS data; about $5 for 12oz. bottle)
* Redline SI-1 (30-50% PEA based on MSDS data; about $9 for 15oz. bottle)
* Amsoil Performance Improver (28-37% PEA based on MSDS data; $10 for 12oz. bottle)

>Snake arrives too late, unfortunately, as he finds Dr. Marv's corpse and the OILIX data

>mfw star brite
oh no, Dr. Marv

If your going to Rikerpost, at least use the good ones

neg, star commander.

I use pic related because my car is old, and the engine design is even older. The manual says to use (red) 98 octane, but since it ain't in pumps anymore I gotta just put this stuff in 95 octane.

>98 isnt in pumps anymore
time to move my guy, I would rather not drive than drive my 1.6 CVH with 95.

MSDS doesn't include everything, fucknugget. Case in point they don't include PEA anymore.

I put octane booster in because it's cheaper than getting premium and does the same thing

No it doesn't, it might get you from 87 octane rating to 87.5 at best. A cheap bottle of memeshit will not bump you anywhere near 91 or 93/94.

Stay plebeian.

>durr MSDS doesn't include everything!
>safety information for first responders and primary users
>doesn't list all components of product
what's it like to be a massive faggot?
>hurr they don't even list PEA anymore!
>case in in point
redlineoil.com/content/files/tech/MSDS SI-1 6-11.PDF
>30 - 50% PolyEther Amine
oh gee there it is right there my dude
let's try another
>amsoil.com/msds/api.pdf
>Polyether Amine, ≥25 - ≤50%
>updated march 2016
good job, you have just proven my point you fucking mong

Those MSDS sure have widely varying numbers. I guess the government allows obfuscation of data for anti-competition reasons of private formulas.

>aisle full of products

Gotta get the good shit from BEHIND the counter, son.

But it gets me the same mpg as premium I've tested it. 18 on regular, 21-22 with premium or octane booster

You don't know how octane levels work do you?

Read the bottle of octane booster you're using, it'll say how many "points" it'll boost a certain amount of fuel. 10 points is 1 octane level, meaning if your small bottle of booster boosts 10 gallons of fuel by 10 octane points, you need to use 10 bottles of it to treat 20 gallons of fuel from 87 octane to 92 octane.

I guarantee your engine is just fine with an 88-ish octane because lots of people using 91 octane cars can use 89 without knocking to be cheap.

Octane booster is sort of meant for "emergency situations" like 87 octane the only available fuel in buttfuck nowhere or the stupid-cunt-filled-with-regular-to-full-now-knocking scenario.

The amount you need to use for a full tank to get to 91 octane is retarded and autism in the worst way because you're losing money and getting lower quality fuel because 87 has ethanol and 91 generally doesn't or much less.

>it has ethanol in it, thats why it has a lower octane rating
k

also, tolulene and xylene are the best ways to increase your octane rating cheaply.

Can't you get leaded gasoline additive to boost octane?

Why would you ever want to increase the octane rating of your fuel outside of a total lack of the correct type?
Has your engine magically decidied that it's going to have a higher compression cycle today?

Fuck me, people are legitimately stupid.

Meh, Valvemaster works, as in the engine runs better, and it's pretty cheap (~20 USD for 250 ml mixed 1ml/l gas) so I'd rather not leave the country.

When my Honda tech friend went to a Honda school he said the only fuel system cleaner they would recommend was Techron

>it has ethanol in it, thats why it has a lower octane rating
No, ethanol is used to raise octane rating as it has a much higher octane rating than gasoline. For those consumers who don't want 15% ethanol 85% gasoline as their "premium" fuel blend, they should use Top Tier gasoline. That's because the top tier standard sets a maximum of 10% ethanol content.

Why is limiting the amount of ethanol good, one of the reasons is that ethanol has a lower energy content than gasoline. While it's a simplistic viewpoint, it is a valid assumption that the more energy the fuel blend has, the more mileage you'll get from that tank of fuel.

>toluene and xylene are the best ways to increase your octane rating.
The cheapskate way to raise octane is to add something like Napthalene (moth balls) that burns poor enough to lower the combustion point of the fuel.

>are fuel additives a gimmick?
Just doing my part.

>he thinks high octane gas gets him better fuel economy

They always promise amazing results and then when you see tests with an endoscope afterwards everything looks exactly the same.
A meme as far as I'm concerned. Maybe on a brand new car they could prevent carbon buildup, but I'm still skeptical until I see proofs.

>I guess
>implying any original thought has occurred
it states in the MSDS it's to protect trade formulas and to allow for variation in batches
try reading harder

Costco and Kroger both just buy gas from whoever bids the lowest that day. It's top tier, but it's not like Costco's is extra special

that depends on if your looking for mpg or performance improvements. for mpg i would agree.

>The cheapskate way to raise octane is to add something like Napthalene (moth balls) that burns poor enough to lower the combustion point of the fuel.

not quite true, xylene and tolulene are both 117aki and 114 aki respectively. adding either one of these to your fuel mix will give you a large aki increase. these two solvents are also what is usually found in "octane boosters" in very small amounts. this is great for performance, but i do not know how well they would increase fuel mileage as i dont know the specific BTU output of each one.

in general however, e15 represents a 2-3% loss in total BTU output per gallon, that being said e85 is 108-114 octane which is a godsend if you live in a commie state.