/comfy/ DD

Looking for a /comfy/ DD. I have $16k to spend on it and I'm debating between a Lincoln Town Car or a Lexus LS. Average year will be from around 2003-2009 and the must have less than 80k miles. It needs to be absolutely reliable and I would prefer for it to be simple to maintain. I would prefer autotragic since this is not a performance car and I want to relax after 12 hour shifts, but I'm open to a manual.

Price differences between comparable mileage/model years in my area is negligible.

Other urls found in this thread:

houston.craigslist.org/search/cta
houston.craigslist.org/cto/d/2002-lexus-ls430-ultra-luxury/6357763478.html
houston.craigslist.org/cto/d/2003-lexus-ls-430-ultra-luxury/6351994423.html
clublexus.com/forums/ls-3rd-gen-2001-2006/255082-how-to-tell-if-ls430-is-equpped-with-ultra-luxury-package-2.html#post4566917
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Cash or financing? Post your local craigslist.

16k can get you an ls460 which is better than the 430 in every way imaginable,esp the styling
honestly mileage shouldn't be a concern with them,just make sure it wasn't neglected

Cash.
houston.craigslist.org/search/cta
I kinda like the 430's styling, but I'm not going to put that in front of reliability. Are there other major differences? Are Lincoln Town Cars even on the same level as an LS?

houston.craigslist.org/cto/d/2002-lexus-ls430-ultra-luxury/6357763478.html

LS430's and especially LS400's are much better built than LS460's. I would personally look for a post refresh LS430 ultra luxury package which is absolutely in OP's budget. Cars are bullet proof just like the predecessor as long as they were maintained.
It's worth noting that the LS400 and LS430 were the most reliable cars in America every year that they were sold. Although th 460 is certainly not unreliable, it does not have such a distinction. I have a LS400 and I just took it across the country no problems. Very reliable and max comfy

houston.craigslist.org/cto/d/2003-lexus-ls-430-ultra-luxury/6351994423.html

Looks like a scam though. A lot of flooded cars in the area thanks to Harvey.

What exactly is included in the ultra-luxury package over a standard LS? Are the cars easy to work on?

afaik it's mostly air ride and interior trim pieces but i'm talking out of my ass

I'll also add that the reason I want a low mileage car is that I intend to keep it for quite sometime, probably 8+ years. I want as much useful life as possible out of my purchase. I'm kinda flexible on the mileage, but idk if I want to get a 150k mile car. I'd rather spend more money and/or look farther to get lower mileage.

2000 camry, keep it maintained and it'll last a lifetime, get the v6 cause they haul ass

I would avoid the 2003 as the refresh is 2004+. But it mostly boils down to looks so it's really your preference. Most prefer the updated version. It's my understanding the main draw of the ultra luxury package was for the enhanced rear seat, including rear seat recliners, improved rear air conditioning and better car security. But really, if you just want to drive (not be driven) LS's come pretty much specced out regardless of package. If you want, it's best to look for the mark levinson sound system. Only real upgrade for the driver

And yes the cars are fairly easy to work on, I do all my own maintence and I'm certainly no mechanic. But remember that if you want oem parts they will be more expensive than toyotas. So keep that in mind. However, things rarely if ever break

Ultra lux has adjustable air suspension, rear seat massagers and mini fridge, and i believe includes all the options from the lower trims (nakamichi sound, navi, etc)

Nakimichi was not an option in LS430's. They switched to mark levinson for their sound systems after the LS400

forgot pic

while i agree with you on the build quality and reliability,the 460 is good enough,as long as it's looked after it should be almost just as good as the older models
the 460 upgraded to the 1ur engines and honestly the 1/3ur series of engines are probably the tankiest modern v8s you can buy,talking from experience

the 460 got an upgraded engine and transmission,got a hybrid version,pretty good amount of new tech,never drove a 430 to know how they hold up by todays standards honestly

So the ultra-luxury is really not for the driver but more for the rear passengers? Are there any major reliability or mechanical differences between the pre-facelift 430 vs post-facelift 430?
Is the mini-fridge any good or is it just a gimmick?

Not gonna argue with you there. The 1UR is the best thing since the 1UZ. And yes the 460 is very reliable, just not as legendarily trouble free as its predecessors l. I mostly worry about modern electronics, call me an autist if you want.

No not really, no major differences. Pretty much the same car throughout its run. Subtle improvements were surely made but you may to go to a forum post about the generations or something. Too much info to list here. But basically, it was the same car yes. And for what it's worth. Any LS is better than a town car

Here I did it for you

clublexus.com/forums/ls-3rd-gen-2001-2006/255082-how-to-tell-if-ls430-is-equpped-with-ultra-luxury-package-2.html#post4566917

LS430 or 460 for sure. Focus on condition. I have an LS400 and I would trust it to last 400k miles.

A 150k car with good records is better than that 80k car. The timing belt has already been done on that one which is like 2k-2500

the ultra luxury trim comes with air suspension which is an expensive fix if it breaks, there are a lot of forum posts about the issue though..

which was good
The mark levinson systems were bars above everyone else