My Suv is over heating and and when I limped home I popped my hood to see my overflow tank was full...

My Suv is over heating and and when I limped home I popped my hood to see my overflow tank was full, pic related it has never had a heating issue and it over heated a few nights ago and i lrt it cool, popped the cap and put about a gallon and a galf if water in, I was waiting until a payday to change my coolant but it seems to be going critical. Foremost qurstions I have,
>What the fuck is going on?
>why did the coolant divert into the fill tank?
>what can I do about it right now?
I have about half a jug of concentrated coolant on hand, and help/advise greatly appriciated.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Thermocure-TC001-Coolant-System-Remover/dp/B00R74I5UY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

For the record I drive a 2000 ford explorer v6, incase its needed, the coolant hose on top feels hot and hollow.

I'll bump a bit but I dont know how fast Veeky Forums moves and I dont want to be a cunt about it.

This if from where I removed the cap the other day to add water and it burped up this shit, any help? I dont feel like I even know what exactly to google, I'm looking up for explorer coplant/heating issues but I'm hoping a persom can deduce this quickly enough

I'm going to keep this thread monitored, its not dead until it dies I'm just trying to not spam the thread but I will bump every couple of hours.

drain the coolant and flush everything out. it shouldn't look like mud. It should be clean and green. or maybe orange depending on the year/engine

flush the system, get new coolant and a new thermostat.

It might not fix the problem, but you need them replaced about now anyways.

but one other thing to check is the bottom radiator hose. Does it get hot too? If it stay cool or cold, you might have a clogged radiator from all that muck. then it's time for a new radiator too.

Pretty sure you got a blown head gasket. That looks like oil in the coolant. Do you got coolant in the oil?

Where is a gallon and a half of coolant going? do you see any leaks? If its not leaking anywhere, you're burning it. Smell the exhaust, if it smells sweet that's bad news. Check your oil and make sure its clean without any signs of coolant mixing in (however at that amount of coolant missing I doubt its in the oil, or your motor would be dead by now).

Best bet is wash everything down, fill it to the top, and figure out if its leaking internally or externally.

Dont worry about the overflow, or the color of the water from the radiator. Shit gets brown from rust in the coolant passages, no big deal.

If by some miracle after you top it off and drive it, and the system is still full and you are overheating, then your thermostat isnt opening and will need to be replaced.

Is the coolant oily? If you have an electric fan, is it turning on and trying to cool the engine? Is there anything blocking the radiator? When was the last time the thermostat was replaced? I've personally never seen a case where the coolant itself was the root cause of an overheating issue.

amazon.com/Thermocure-TC001-Coolant-System-Remover/dp/B00R74I5UY

Drain coolant
Replace with distilled water
Run engine for 10-15 min
Wait to cool and drain
fill with mix of distilled and rust remover ( it has measurements for you to follow, its different depending on your vehicles coolant capacity. )
Run the mix of rust remover and distilled water for a few days,
run and drain and refill with distilled water until what comes out is clear ( or as close as clear as you can justify continuing)
This will clean off rust from most areas if you make sure to run it long enough with the heat on to make sure anywhere coolant runs is cleaned.
Totally recommend cleaning the coolant reservoir.
If your heat/cold dial/slider sticks you could have a heater control valve issue
yup might as well
thermostat
thermostat gasket
radiator
new hoses

I drove an '01 grand prix for a couple years that did something like this to me once. I, foolishly, continued to put coolant into the overflow reservoir, not knowing at the time I should have poured it in directly through the pressure relief cap. Anyhow, the engine would overheat and I'd open the hood to see a reservoir still full of coolant. Eventually, it turned out to be a bad thermostat. You may want to check your pressure cap. Water boils, so if you filled your radiator with just water, it will eventually turn to steam and find its way out,maybe this is what could have pushed all the fluid into your reservoir.

check this first

Worth a check. If you have a blown head gasket then you should be able to detect it by pressure testing the coolant inlets on the engine block.

I looked up on doing a flush but I'm kind of in a pinch,

Thats my plan buy its a long way till next friday

Pretty sure its not a blown head, any reasons why you think so or did you think I'd squirm?

Thank you for your multiple points, i dont know wherr it could be goi g or have gone, it must have been low, Ill admit I've neglected the coolant for a couple of years but afyer I put the fresh gallon in its now low in the radiator and has filled the overflow

I'm assuming I need to and plan to do a full system change, but Im concerned as to why its filing my resivour and not cycleing through the engine, but it seems to have been answered as the thermostat buy no coolany in the oil, I appear to be a little low though..

I appriciate your story, when it first overheated I put water right into the radiator, seemed like the place to get the blood flowing again.

Check how? And no coolant in the oil or exhaust

Do a flush about 2-3x then if dit doesn't worl replace water pump

I had a blown head gasket on a 200 ford ranger, so prob a v similar engine set up. Check your oil, if it looks like a melted chocolate shake, you almost certainly have a blown head gasket and/or cracked head. Also might be worth checking your air filter, mine was soaked in cramy oil after a few hrs of driving, was a good indicator that oils leaking out around the gasket.

My coolant (when it wasnt seeping into the oil) looked normal, not like your pic. and the coolant you showed splattered all over didnt look like oil/coolant mix, looked more rusty than anything. so maybe youre good on the head gasket. If I had to guess I'd echo some other anons, maybe you got rusty coolant inlets, might have clogged somewhere and caused a leak?

water/coolant drops in your oil dipstick

I'd do a pressure test on the radiator cap or just get a new one. If the radiator cap is leaking by the cooling system won't build pressure and the coolant will boil.

forgot to say the bad cap would also send a bunch of coolant to your overflow bottle as well.

Damn near exact same engines, and my oil is clean black and for a 200 my truck has historically been sealed like a tank, I use full synthetic and I always get 5 qts out 5 qts in amd it could be a clog...

Also

Ive been pricing parts online and as I remember all of these caps are "fail safe" so ig it could be my thermostat, why? Could it be clogged or what?

What could I possibly do for the mean time? I can put whater into the radiator but where is it going and could that just kill my engine, Ive owned this thing free and clear when I was 14, I'm 25 now and I'll never ket my truck go, I just need help surviving until I have some capitol to do something about it

Is the temp gauge going up? My BILs truck sprung a rad hose leak the other day and when I went to replace it the coolant was about that color. Went HAM on it on flushed the radiator, heater core, and block out before refilling. Shit was so packed at the petcock, that I took it out and had to put compressed air on the cap to break it loose and get it to drain.

2nd on bad rad cap or thermostat if the oil isn't chocolate milk.

Yes, about a few weeks before it would spike but then level off, i assumed it was warming as normal then opening to let water in but as dirty as it is i need to flush it asap, tomorrow for sure but I have people I habe to pick up tonight. Do you think adding more water to the radiator for the time being is the best bet

Oil is fine and i think the cap is fine, it may be a clogged thermostat

maybe your radiator is rusted to fuck and clogged inside. would explain the brown rust color fluid and the fact you overheating. no flow = no cooling.

even if your thermostat or temp sensor is bad, it doesn't explain how your coolant got so contaminated.

Is your radiator getting warm? Maybe a stuck thermostat.

My mother had her thermostat stick, causing the engine to blow a piston. Good ol Ferd. Check that.

How many miles?

Open radiator cap and start the car. Do you see bubbles?

2000 model Ford's use a variant of Dexcool IIRC. It should be orange in that particular make and model.

Dexcool? More like Dexkill.

uh no they dont they use ford gold coolant like the 6.0 diesels and 6.4 diesel

> ALRIGHT JACKASS IS THAT A 3.0 OR A 4.0.

> ADDITIONALLY HOW MANY MILES ARE ON IT?

>OR ON THE COOLANT?

>IN ANY CASE YOU NEED ATLEAST 2 COOLANT CHANGES TO GET RID OF THE SCHMOO.

>AFTER THAT IS DONE PICK FORD GOLD COOLANT LIKE THE INTERNATIONAL DIESELS USED OF REGULAR GREEN COOLANT SCHMOO

> AFTER YOU RUN THAT FOR A BIT, DRAIN AND TOSS THE OLD COOLANT REPLACE THE T STAT AND RAD OR DEGAUSS BOTTLE CAP AND REFILL AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BURP THE SYSTEM.

O AND HAVE FUN WITH THE TSTAT CLAMSHELL AND SENSORS IF ITS 4.0V6

P.S. ENJOY THESE TITS

They’re not even high quality tits.

>GOODENOUGHTOTITTYFUCKFORAFEWYEARS

This is a SFW board u dunkass

>CALMYOURBALLS

>BTW Veeky Forums AT WORK REALLY?

Tell them to get an Uber.
Stop putting water, that's probably why the fluid looks so brown. If you've just been adding water all these years the inside it's probably rusted as fuck. Coolant only.

Also like everyone said flush that bad boy and change the thermostat. If the tstat is stuck closed no coolant is getting to the engine.

You have a cracked cylinder head. This is a very common problem in Ford OHV 4L V6 engines.

>Open radiator cap and start the car. Do you see bubbles?
t. boomer

But if he had to pour more than a gallon in, he probably warped the heads and blew them both already

I had a similar problem in my civic after changing the throttle body. Jack the front of the car up so that the radiator is the highest point, remove the radiator cap, turn the engine on with heat on full, and fill coolant until bubbles stop leaving the system and the coolant stops emptying from the funnel, shut the car off, , cap the radiator with fluid level flush to the neck, and this may remedy your issue like it did mine.

ahh typical ohv 4.0. Most likely blown head gasket/cracked head

Check you hoses
i had a similar problem on my subaru, where one hose was leaking so the car started sucking air through it into the car and dumped all the coolant in the filltank