2001 f150 parking brake failure

This is the second time the parking brake failed since i got the truck. I got it used and only 3k miles of drivig the parking brake failed. I put in new parking brakes in and it failed again after 4k miles. Is there something im missing?

Are you taking the parking brake off when you drive?

I never use it

Almost certainly.
There are fucking parts missing from that photo. Show us an assembled pic.

Looks like the self adjuster barrel literally came off, fell apart, and went bouncing around inside the drum for many road miles. It's beat to shit.

um.... You did cycle it after installation until you had a consistent pedal travel though... right? ...
If you didn't, I can explain exactly how and why you fucked up and why you should feel bad...

Those are the only parts, and i laid them out how they would go together. Its a very easy install

I manually adjusted it to be snug in the drum

Do you not see how parts are super destroyed?

Why do you even need it theres a P on the selector for a reason

The parking brake is 1. A safety redundancy. Technically the park pawl should be a backup. 2. It allows immobilization while the vehicle is still running in a manual.

I want everything in working order and i go to the mountains frequently in the winter. I dont want to put too much strain on the parking pawl when i park on a slope

>Its a very easy install
And yet, you fucked it up.
>I manually adjusted it to be snug in the drum
And that's why it failed. Because that's the wrong way to do it. It wasn't adjusted properly, and the self adjuster literally fell out.
You have to cycle the parking brake after install until the travel shortens up and becomes consistent, otherwise this will happen literally every fucking time.
Also, you should continue to operate the parking brake for the first 1000 or so miles of driving as the shoes bed in, but that's not as critical if it was adjusted right in the first place.
>SNUG
>SMUG

Ok, i thought i could just do what i would do on a regular drum brake system, but ill do it the proper way and break it in. Thanks Veeky Forums

Your drums are super rusted, correct?

Its a drum rotor, i did pads and rotors after the first incident so they're newish

No prob. Don't mean to be hard on you... That F150 parking brake is an awful design... The shallow-ass little slots on the adjuster make it especially prone to failing.
Also... Adjust the nut with the brake off. You probably already know that, but you wouldn't believe some of the dumbassery I've seen.

You don't have a cable adjustment either. I think it's s equalizer that you access from the back of the backing plate.

It is. Real drum brakes that aren't on Amerishit usually have a ratcheting mechanism that adjusts that barrel/nut assembly automatically.... So they take up the slack themselves the first few times you operate them.
On those F150's, you pull out a little grommet and adjust it yourself.... Then you go back and fuck with it again, because there's always slack in the new system and you have to take it up or else it falls apart.

I had a suspicion that it was the adjuster but the first incident i had to limp it a few miles back home and it turned all the parts into destroyed bits of metal so i couldn't pin point the problem. This time it happened just down the road and i went straight home so i got a better idea of what the problem was

I'll keep that in mind

Cool.
And don't take Amerishit the wrong way.
I work on everything.
Just because I drive Weebshit, doesn't mean I hate Amerishit...

Wrong pic.

Plenty of American cars also use that, dunno why the F150 doesn't.

Cost savings, I'd imagine.
The 8.8 axle in the 10th gen was a parts bin axle...
Can't use a parts-bin part if you want to add things.
Using a parts bin part saves a shit ton of money.
...Cost goes deeper than the three little pieces of metal you would need...

These parking brakes always fail. I have an 02 Expedition, I just took mine off. One of them literally mangled itself and spat out metal pieces on the highway.

Not op, but what if mine doesnt have a self adjuster?

I use the term "self adjuster" to describe all the spur nut drum brake adjusters.
Some of them do not, in fact, self adjust - They require manual adjustment...
But it's the same part as the self-adjusting ones, and the same principle, just missing the little ratcheting mechanism that moves the adjuster automatically.

Ok, i took care of it and tightened the living shit out of the parking brakes. I hooned around a bit and there were no grinding noises