The /xcg/ Mandatory Read:
>pastebin.com/k9pT8zx4

/xcg/ XCOM 2 Character Pool:
>docs.google.com/document/d/12XvY-C-RoQZUexxauBXcCsw1jElq-g8TaCNpLgG2atM/edit

Image Library of /xcg/:
>imgur.com/a/S1qfx

List of compatible mods for Long War 2
>drive.google.com/file/d/0B0KYKP0J-c9vcksxLXBTUkFzdE0/view

XCOM2 modlist, updated a bunch of threads ago!
>pastebin.com/pTMatP5Z

MEGA Mod Repository, now contains all of the mods in the modlist!
>mega.nz/#F!HlgWjCqR!STJ0c0kW8Fs6jKynqKyerw

Modlist Steam Collection - Contains 99% of the mods in the modlist:
>steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=756115171

Assorted improvements (Skip intros, alleviate stuttering, multi monitor support, and resolutions past 1080p):
>steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=616682629

/xcg/'s Long War Library (New LW players read this shit or you will be ignored):
>pastebin.com/YmaXBKpN
Piratez mod for OpenXCom:
>openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,3626.0.html

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Tm0V24IEHao
youtube.com/watch?v=yRLOkk-Lhdw
xcom.com/news/entries/xcom-2-war-of-the-chosen-the-assassin
youtube.com/watch?v=xVJg_KrLzBA
xcom.com/news/entries/xcom-2-war-of-the-chosen-the-reaper
youtube.com/watch?v=CpLcPIWqK18
gamespot.com/videos/xcom-2s-new-expansion-lets-you-control-aliens-e3-2/2300-6439474/
rockpapershotgun.com/2017/06/20/xcom-2-war-of-the-chosen-preview/
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL96LzV95Nrq-Q1bR_HSj6AmwsxrlblqYC
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=957580056
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

pistols are useful

First for XCOM set up in the '60s as a force meant to keep the fabric of reality in check.
>youtube.com/watch?v=Tm0V24IEHao

Posting information released after War of the Chosen's reveal. Reply to this post with more information and I will put it in the next thread.

>Chosen factions and soldier class information

youtube.com/watch?v=yRLOkk-Lhdw - Inside Look - the Assassin
xcom.com/news/entries/xcom-2-war-of-the-chosen-the-assassin

youtube.com/watch?v=xVJg_KrLzBA - Inside Look - the Reaper
xcom.com/news/entries/xcom-2-war-of-the-chosen-the-reaper

>Other WotC stuff

youtube.com/watch?v=CpLcPIWqK18 - 112 new things in XCOM: 2 War of the Chosen - 20 minutes long
gamespot.com/videos/xcom-2s-new-expansion-lets-you-control-aliens-e3-2/2300-6439474/ - Video interview with Jake Solomon on WotC - 30 minutes long
rockpapershotgun.com/2017/06/20/xcom-2-war-of-the-chosen-preview/ - War of the Chosen’s alien champions, lost cities and soldier bonds explained

This seems really good.

I hate how AWC abilities are random and you can't predefine them for your soldiers though.

They are, but they shouldn't be.
>hurr durr let's make snipers irrelevant and make the most viable build be to just have them carry around a useless hunk of metal while they just use gun magic with their sidearm

Hey guys, just picked up xcom 2 dx edition and was wondering what are the must have mods in terms of improving gameplay? Are there more mods that are similar to raja's stop wasting my time mod?
Looking to keep this play through as vanilla as possible.
Thanks in advance for your time fellas

This isn't anything new, but it's everything in a condensed format.

youtube.com/playlist?list=PL96LzV95Nrq-Q1bR_HSj6AmwsxrlblqYC

Did they take everyone's pistol away for xcom 2 or am I just not far enough to equip them on normal soldiers?

Pistols are useful in X1 as well. I'll have none of you implications they are only now useful in X2.

snipers only in vanilla m8

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=957580056

Sparks are moderately usfeul, within reason

So, what are the chances that at least some mods don't get completely broken by the expansion release?

Customization ones at least? It's going to be weird going back to completely vanilla X-Com 2 again

Yes they were, and they fulfilled the role they were designed for which is a sidearm. Then they shat the bed in X2 and made them snipers only and making them better than a sniper rifle to boot.

Good place to start is the OP modding pastebin, which is old, but will have the core quality of life stuff. Just look in the appropriate categories.

The idea of hero units being so powerful is weird to me, since one unlucky full cover crit can trash your resource sink god unit, and you're left with nothing to show for it.

Nothing is mandatory straight away, feel free to go au natural for your first game.

I still think XCOM 2's approach to ammo management and sidearms is retarded. swords and Gremlins really didn't need to straight up replace pistols, and being able to reload then shoot feels too simplified.

I somewhat agree with the sidearms point, but I much prefer the one action for reloading.

Fuck these guys

I just started, as I bought the game today, and I installed a bunch of armor mods and a lot of the armors are missing textures, or are flat out invisible. Is it just the mods or am I fucking something up using the mod manager?

I doubt cosmetics are going to be broken, alien mods will likely work from the get go but functionality might be wonky until they get updated, things like item and weapon mods will probably also work from the get go unless they make drastic changes to the way all that stuff works, and they just might do that.

Everything else will probably break, LW2 will definitively break.

What kind of cosmetic mods exactly? Can you name some you are having trouble with. Some mods actually come with invisible pieces.
Also what are your graphic settings?

is that long war?

A lot of armor mods, especially ports are lazily made and they aren't cut up into pieces, so a lot of times it ends up with invisible arms and legs so you can just select the torso for the full armor, which is what i assume is causing your invisible issues. As for missing textures the only mod i know of that has missing textures is one of the many halo mods that are out there.

Halo Reach Marine / ODST packs and Titanfall armor packs, I'm on high the high preset.

Well that's the name of the game. But i doubt they'll be weak enough to go down in one hit from anything, maybe the Reaper but the guy can stay cloaked forever, the Advent guy looks like the "warrior" of the group so he'll probably have tons of health and armor, and the psi guy probably has some bullshit like sustain to never die.

The other super expensive "powerful" class we have right now is Sparks and i don't think they could get one shot by anything in vanilla, unless it's something like a Sectopod crit or something, i dunno.

...yes

w-why

>especially ports are lazily made
Speaking of which, a couple more bf 4 armours are on their way.

>Halo Reach Marine/ ODST Packs
If it's the helmets that are missing textures then you need the MJOLNIR variants mod too.

I just wanted to know, haven't tried it yet and haven't seen that ui

Pretty sure the Halo stuff has lots of invisible pieces, not to sure of it's overall quality. The titanfall pack should be good though.

>more tacticool options
THANK YOU

Ohh fuck you

Why is it that mods work one minute and then the next they're suddenly broken and don't work what so ever? I can't seem to understand why a few mods I use refuse to actually work anymore when they worked just fine about a week ago.

So I've been trying out this X-Comlike called Steam Squad.

The title music is very jaunty.

You're not alone. Just turn your brain off, reinstall everything and pray, I guess.

The game has lots and lots of LORE.

I read a review that said it felt like a game that came out in the middle of last decade. I would say that except I've played Matrix and Slitherine games and their presentation is significantly worse.

I guess I'll have to, I hope it'll work this time because its really annoying to go through a campaign and then get on the next day and have something crucial break

Anyway, the actual game.
It works like this. Just like Oldcom, or Xenonauts.

Actually that is a lie, and not just because I haven't played Oldcom.
The whole game feels much more... I don't know how to say it? Not really streamlined, natural maybe? Xenonauts feels quite clunky at times.

>last mission
>mind control a berserker
>use it to hit a muton in cover
>counterattack
>crit
>died

Truly, an alpha muton.

>Just want my guys to look cool
>Modding is fucking awful and half the mods break or conflict even when it makes no fucking sense, like the Debrief dropship mod and the ODST armor mod
WHY

Mutons going their own way?

Actually what it reminds me of is a real-time strategy game that runs on turns. The tutorial talks about hitting next turn to "refill" your AP, and it feels like you're doing that, like it's a resource that needs to regenerate rather than a gameplay abstraction.

It feels like Apocalypse, if Apocalypse wasn't produced by schizophrenics.

These sandbags feel very Valkyria Chronicles.

I meant to post an image with that.

>tfw reload 100 times trying to get successful hack

80% my fucking ass

You can enter fortifications and mow down enemies with machine guns. Pic related, it's why those chinks are dead.

That's the end of the tutorial. Next is the real game.

You get this little newsreel that looks like it came from the Arcanum intro.

>savescumming
>gambler's fallacy

I hope you're making fun of the faggots who do that unironically.

These letters and newsclippings remind me of Enigma Rising Tide.
At least the mission objectives are straightforward.

Well I have some good news for you then. WotC will have the AWC random perks replaced by training with points earned by doing certain actions like flanking or firing from an elevated position. You can spend these points to get extra abilities or even unlock perks that are on the same level of the perk tree.

You even get a map.

Sometimes when I get really really upset at the most bullshit things that somehow happen in this game I type in "KillAllAIs" in the command prompt and win the mission.

Fuck off, retard.

Scroll speed only bugged me in finding saves during XC1. Trying Ironman run now so I have way less saves to go through. Surprising how the scroll clunky-ness made it into the second game.
Perfect, exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much! I just want to play the game with as little "time padding" as possible. Seriously wtf is with the damn rappelling being one at a time? "quality of life" was the phrase I was brain farting on.
some things just don't feel improved to the first game, so the mod-friendly-ness of XC2 made me wonder if there were a bunch of "QOL" changes. Gameplay "feel" doesn't really feel improved at all
Damn, I thought it must've been some secret advanced warfare center stuff I haven't unlocked yet. I was really surprised playing through a mission and had an advent trooper with 1 health and the last soldier had an empty AR I totally thought I could pull out a pistol.. I don't see the purpose in taking something away that was in the first game. Maybe it was OP?

I just alt-F4

What does Muton taste like?

You a lil bitch

You a slightly larger bitch

>I don't see the purpose in taking something away that was in the first game.
They just wanted to try something different with each class having a unique secondary and perks to go with it.

salty milk and coins

>two pods open before the mission even starts

what the fuck lump

That's datatap, baby!

Fair enough, also surprised that concealment is a one gimmick. Only one ambush feels like a ripoff especially if I managed to git the pod in one turn through sheer luck but I can imagine it would get pretty OP.

Concealment becomes a more standardized mechanic once you start ranking up your ranger

Jake specifically addressed this in interviews running up to the game's release. XCOM is still primarily supposed to be about fighting, not stealth. It's mostly just to reinforce the fact that in most missions you're the one attacking the aliens, not the other way around. So unless you screw up and blunder into a patrol, you get to take the first shot.

>that last mission

how the FUCK do you do that without constant alt-f4ing?

>like 12 alien spawns per turn
>1 avatar 2 turns after 1 dies
>wanna kill an avatar? lol just teleported into 9 codices, 4 mutons and 174 mecs

Never again

Domination, mind control, grenades, hacking and psi help a lot.

I save all the consumables I can for the final room. It's a fun brawl, a great finale.

git gud
Best final xcom fight imo

Did they ever fix the fact that you can't launch grenades/mines past the two side statues?

Tend to agree, but my god was it tough on legend not knowing what I was getting into and having no psy troops. I think I lost 1 or 2 soldiers, which was rare in my campaign up til that point.

Shit was epic though.

You mean the reaching ethereals?

>Blacksite mission lays out my A team while my B team are all recovering from a mission where the only person to come away with more than one pip of health was my sniper.
>Advent VIP mission pops up immediately after, force to take the fucking dregs of my force, a rookie, a couple of squaddies and one sgt. sniper.
>Pic related.

What are some times you thought you were completely screwed only for it to all turn out ok?

Literally any mission after the first month in LW2.

Happens all the time in long war

I love it

Thinking of having a single team of 6 people, one of each of the five human classes and Spark-001. How difficult will the game be doing this?

>Single team
>Poorly optimised
>Spark

Either you haven't played the game, or a complete madman.

You should make a team of 8 sparks instead. RNG and bad aim is irrelevant with all those overdrives, heavy weapons and heavy fisting action.

I always see the Sparks treated derisively here. Are they really that bad? What are their problems?

their stats arent that great and have very little defense making them quite fragile

They just don't scale as well as your normal soldiers, if you ask me the biggest problem is their aim, they have shit aim by default and they have no ways to improve it.

That said, i never thought they were as bad as everyone seems to think they are, i like them just for the fact that they can be mobile heavy cover, i think that is incredibly useful. But they also have heavy weapons, that skill where they use their bit like a mortar and they can punch people to death and take like 4 actions in one turn with overdrive, i think they are plenty useful, especially in a vanilla.

But they get outclassed by your colonels either way in the end.

Don't they get like 4 armor by the time they're maxed and have an ability that gives them even more armor and defense?

Grenadier with Holo-Targeting is great for helping the Spark's aim, especially with their skill that targets multiple enemies in a cone. Personally I think the two classes make a devastating combo with their abilities working in synch.

the ai will still focus fire it because of the low defense making it a better target
at least in my experience when using them i have always had to be careful with LoS and after the first couple of hits they sit in the back the rest of the mission

what game is that, user?

mutton of course, user

Steam Squad as per the logos in the screenshots, user...

I know we're unlikely to get it but I'd love more of the dynamic music in the expansion.

Surely something for when the Lost or Chosen crash the party is appropriate.

>all that health
>I just got started on the second random mission that popped up
What should I shoot for? Or should I just go and learn on my first playthrough?

For LW2? Lasers. If you feel out of your element you're probably going to lose, but that's half the fun.

I'm installing the game right now, is it still terribly optimized as it was on launch or will I get a chance to actually run it normally this time around ?

It's better than it was at launch, but if you have a toaster you're probably fucked.

Ah rip, my PC can run nearly every recent game on high but with XCOM 2 at launch the framerate alone made me uninstall.
We'll see !

Are the Wraith Suit, Spider Suit, and EXO Suit worth using?

Apparently when the expansion comes out the patch that allows it to go live will confer performance improvements, as per word of god.

Definitely. Wraith suit lets you do crazy moves through ADVENT facilities and the like.

Is Assault or Scout better?

They both have roles to play. Some people don't use scouts because they consider lightning reflexes unreliable, but they work great in tandem with assaults.

In the early game I run both an assault and scout together as front liners. They make a great team.

Is the soldier unhittable while Wraithed? Would it best to give it to a Ranger since they tend to be the in-close units? What about the Spider Suit, is it best for Sharpshooters because of the grappling hook letting them go to high ground as a free move then shoot an enemy?

LW2? You can use the grappling hook to reposition your DFA sniper and keep using your stock. Also you can throw the WAR suit on a Shinobi with Phantom as a way to initiate on a 2nd pod. And phasing through walls is obviously insane. Most of these concepts carry over to vanilla.