Is it true the concept of a low maintenance daily driver didn't exist until the 40s?

Is it true the concept of a low maintenance daily driver didn't exist until the 40s?

The idea of commuting daily didn't exist until the late forties when the metallurgical and engine and drivetrain design advancements we made during the war started trickling into the consumer market in America.

So hypothetically, there's no merit to 20s or 30s cars outside of museums and preservation?

Aesthetics, and the creativity and craftsmanship that went into them, and there are some real gems. but as vehicles to drive, nothing mass produced before the early fifties is worth a damn compared to what we have now. That's why so many of them were chopped up and tubbed out during the fifties and sixties, they weren't worth preserving.

Yes. Before sealed suspension joints, you had to lube the suspension every few hundred miles. High-end cars sometimes included a system of tubes and a pedal you could push to sprinkle oil onto the joints, but that was rare. Before oil filters, you had to change the oil much more frequently. Before anti-freeze and thermostats, you had to adjust the coolant mixture based on weather, or even drain the coolant after parking the car in cold weather and re-fill it before driving again. Before fuel injection systems, you had to tune the carburetor fairly often, especially if fuel quality was inconsistent. There was a shit ton of stuff owners had to do on pre-war cars.

There's a merit to 20s and 30s bodyshells for hot rod projects, but all the tech underneath is dumped for something newer for a good reason. And even the popular bodyshells exist as reproductions nowadays.

Still infinitely superior to the vessels of jew cuckery we call "cars" now.

It depends on how you use your car.
I prefer my commuter to just werk.

I like 30s boattails, but I can't find much from the 20s or earlier appealing from a design perspective.

I'd rather not get up half an hour earlier to preheat my oil, adjust my coolant, oil my springs, flush my filters and prime my watchamacallits. Even bicycling would be quicker for my commute distance.

You should have a man for that. I me damn, do you polish your own boots, press your suits or buy your own furniture? If you do not have a man for that then you should use mass transportation like the other plebs.

Oh, and all that in a relatively tame climate.
I once read a magazine article about truck drivers beyond the Arctic circle in the mid-20th century and it was just insane.
>if you have to stop the engine, you have to immediately drain all the liquids
>so better keep it running 24/7
>you gotta take the wheels off and heat them up in a tent before driving, otherwise you can destroy the rubber
>you gotta de-ice the suspension and heat up the leaf springs with a blowtorch
>and that's just at a properly equipped rest stop, on-road maintenance is basically survival horror

What year was this?

Around 1950. Basically, no one was insane enough to do this in the 30s, and in the 60s and later winter tires, low-temperature oil, better batteries and antifreeze gradually made it less painful.

Who the fuck shines their boots in 2017, ya trollface?

>paying someone to work on your car
LMAO lrn2wrench

Who doesn't?
You show up at a party with your dull looking shoes?
Leather needs to be maintained.

A rapper like me, fetty wap, would step out the foreign with my air force ones, not some fedora old-school shoe

>wearing Nike Air's under a suit

I get you consider other things a party.
Going out for a drink, or celebrating a birthday, sure wear Nike Air's or All-Stars. But I mean a proper party needs a nice suit and the shoes to match. And then also don't forget to colour match your belt and watch to those shoes

I read somewhere that tennis and suits are now acceptable together. Old men say "I would do that too, but the wife says no."

We Veeky Forums now.

there was a guy who'm daily'd a ford model A from 1930 for a full year. with proper maintenance he only had one break down which was electric.

Please define proper maintenance.

Don't forget setting points every 3k miles.

When was the concept of driving for fun introduced? The 50s?

Driving for fun was pretty much the sole purpose of cars until the 1910s

So cars weren't invented to improve upon the horse?

Rotory drivers know what thats like

Well, obviously you want to get up a half an hour earlier to preheat your oil, adjust your coolant, oil your springs, flush your filters and prime your watchamacallits.

They were but they were still impractical until the 1910s. The whole reason Kettering invented the electric starter was so people wouldn’t be killed cranking their cars.

>reduce maintenance
>more reliable
>therefore requiring less parts and less paid mechanical help
>"jewish cuckery"

if you want to own an unreliable piece of shit that you have to work on literally every single day to get it to work properly, feel free. Nobody is stopping you.

What year is roughly the cutoff year if I were to look for cars to own and drive? 1945?

Not him, by the way.

Probably 1948, when almost all of the manufacturers had put out their first postwar models.

1949 is really the first year for Ford and GM.