Was the standard of luxury up until the 80s

>was the standard of luxury up until the 80s.
>can't compete with euro brands - despite better performance, and interior build quality.
>What happened to this once great brand?

Other urls found in this thread:

caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-cadillac-cts-v-sport-tested-review
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>GM

Cadillac has been complete shit since the 70s and they were the standard for American luxury they were sub par vs European brands

GM and their nice cost cutting and mis managing every damn thing is what happened

They are still pretty much the standard in huge ass cars. Before in their 50-60s golden era, Cadillacs where known for their huge barge like designs, and comfy ride. The Escalade is the spiritual successor to the old barges. The Escalade is pretty much the nicest SUV you can get in terms of comfort, and interior build quality. They are not as fast as the euro SUVs, or as capable as land rovers off road, but they are big and comfy.

Range Rovers have much more tasteful and high quality interiors. Honestly don't know what you're on about. The only reason I can think of as to why someone would drop $100k on an escalade over a RR would be if they were very concerned about reliability.

>can't compete with euro brands - despite better performance, and interior build quality.
The fuck, they could hardly even compete with Lincoln in the 80's

They lost the way when they lost the ducks.

>better performance and interior build quality
are we still talking about cadillac here?

>got panicked by Mercedes starting to eat their lunch in the mid-1970s
>released a slightly less gigantic car, the Seville, on a Chevy platform
>it sold like hotcakes despite being the first Cadillac since 1941 that wasn't bigger than the one before, while simultaneously being the most expensive Cadillac in the lineup

>well hell let's just put every model on Chevy platforms, we'll make a fortune
>a gussied-up Cavalier you say?

And that's about it

High msrp and copying the bad part of the germans and not taking into account the shitty build quality when pricing their cars.
Also their marketing suck and they dont have enough manuals. So their cars end up being an overpriced 4 doors camaro instead of being an affordable alternative to BMW. They try to appeal to boyracers but they forget marketing and that boyracers are pretty poor.

I think their downfall has been the fact that they tried to translate their old land barge vertical headlight/taillight styling onto modern cars. It's extremely polarizing and I'd be willing to bet normies would pick a debadged BMW/Merc/Audi over a debadged ATS-V just on looks alone.

I don't really mind the modern caddy front ends, but the taillights are pretty ugly imo.

They need to move on from 1974 and get a new design language.

>they stopped making comfy land-yachts

Front looks fine

Rear is terrible. Seriously, who the hell is picking this over a Mercedes, Lexus, BMW, or Audi based on looks alone?

Why the fuck does everything have to have "Sporty" handling that just makes you feel every damn bump in the road, even though it's supposed to be a luxury car.

Just make it big and floaty, handling be damned. It's supposed to feel like a cloud, not set records on the burger ring.

Because people would rather get a mercedes if that's what they want

The problem was, in the 80s and 90s GM was so big and bloated that they moved very slowly, and as such Cadillac failed to innovate. Exacerbated by being complacent since their target demographic tended to love them. They were about classical luxury - soft cars for soft people. If you want sportiness, reliability, handling, or you know, a car that's actually nice, you would buy a European brand.

They’re interior is just Chevy shit. BMW looks way simpler and better quality.

>sportiness
>reliability
>handling
>a car that's actually nice
>European brand
pick two

>sportiness
>reliability
>handling
>a car that's actually nice
>American brand
pick one

Be serious, America makes big engines and awful cars and sometimes small engines and awful cars.

Shitty dealership experiences. Most dealers, even in major cities, are Chevy+Buick dealers. I'm sure its a turn off when someone walks into "Big Bob's car lot" to talk to some mouth breather who doesn't know the difference between a Cruz and an ATS. Also, Too many base model cars are flooding the roads that people get tired of real quick when they realize its a piece of shit only meant for rental car companies.

and unless you got a big stack of cash for maintenance costs your eurocan is gonna tumble apart in a few weeks after spraying oil all over the place.

Again, be serious, America makes terrible cars and great engines (great meaning large). As it always has.

Good read.

I actually, genuinely like the styling on the current Cadillacs. I like the style of the hard edges, and the subtle little fins.
For looks, I'd take an ATS over anything from BMW or Audi.
The problem is that Cadillacs are ridiculously expensive and have a bad reputation for build quality, reliability, and performance, so there is this stigma on them that I won't bother looking past, and I'm sure many people feel the same way.

I'll never buy a new Cadillac until they wake up from being euro trash knock-off sportscars

I'm with they need to go back to making comfy land yachts. Back to embracing what they did best, making classy comfy couches on wheels.

The only reason people buy merc/audi/bmw is the badge. Take off the badge it looks like a hyundai, kia, toyota.

Dont rule out the V's. They are reliable and have amazing performance for the price compared to other euro brands. But still have just ok build quality, and need more luxuries/amenities. But their only a small section of all cadillac so everyone overlooks them thinking their like the rest of cadillac.

If I could reasonably afford another car, I'd get a CTS-V. It and the ATS are actually kind of impressive and, again, I really like the looks on the current gen of both vehicles.

Executives didn't and don't give a fuck about the future of the company -- it was all about short term Wall Street greed. Metro Detroit execs were the dumbest, laziest, sleaziest motherfuckers around.

To this day Cadillac is run by a total fraud, Johan, who's genius idea was to move to Manhattan and suck shareholder money living it up in SoHo. The fact this huckster still has a job tells you GM is still a fucking joke.

I don't care how well the Escalade sells, the interior is an damn embarrassment. XT5 is solid. All the cars suck and nobody will ever buy them.

Like I said before, GM is turning Cadillac into something it's not. A German car.

>and interior build quality

and the wreath

there's only one car modern caddy styling worked on, and that was the XLR.

and the reason it worked was because it's design in general complimented the headlight/taillight designs, and the car was really low.

Little reminder that this car came out 1 year earlier than that article

all the baby boomers died off or are dying off so they need to try and market to young people now

>escalade
>nicest SUV

Literally just a Suburban with a different infotainment screen and cheap wood accents

>was the standard of luxury up until the 80s
>better performance and interior build quality

Two lies don't make a truth you burgerboy

Go shart your local wallmart and while you are at that, don't forget to kneel before you get shot.

You should get into the new ones they are fantastic. I did one of those product demo things they put on and got to flog the line up. Good stuff. V series is sweet

That is borderline unbelievable. They were a decade behind, at least.

M8 they've come back in a huge way post-crash, have you been paying attention?

>burger trash
>standard of luxury
Yeah no.

What faggots actually believe.

>The Cadillac CTS V-Sport has been one of our favorite sports sedans for years now, having racked up three 10Best Cars trophies since it first arrived in 2014.

caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-cadillac-cts-v-sport-tested-review

Range Rover with high quality interior? I guess compared to NA but doesn't Audi, Volvo, Lexus & BMW blow it away?

>was the standard of luxury up until the 80s.
Maybe west of the pond.

You know it's now possible to engineer cars that both absorb bumps and take turns at 10 mph without squealing every single tire and leaning like a boat? American "luxury" got btfo because European luxury was both comfortable AND reasonably agile.

>watch older American action movie as an adult
>realize the chase scenes look hectic not because they're going fast as fuck, but simply because the cars were complete crap that squealed and slid around every corner

What's a reliable European Car that isn't nice.

also the footage is sped up
that said it would take some stones to drive a land barge aggressively as it takes so long for the car to respond

It's a fantastic value especially since you can get a 2014 for $25k. I wish mine wasn't so unreliable though.

The problem is theyre trying to compete with euro brands. Cadillac fans dont give a shit how fast its Nurburgring lap time is. It should be about comfort and space and nothing else.

I miss Cadillac of old when they made huge, soft comfy suspension, unapologetically American cars. Fuck trying to appeal to the rest of the world, they dont like our cars anyway on the basis that theyre American.

hes never heard of Packard the post

American cars lost to european and jap cars during the first fuel crisis in the 70's and they never came back from that because they never made fuel efficient cars until the tesla model S which sell like crazy in europe. It is not that we hate american cars, many mustangs, vipers and such are still idolized but we cant afford the fuel consumption and the extra costs for import and such, because teslas are electric and assembled in europe, people can afford them and will buy them despite the shitty interior

You can't afford making unapologetically American cars anymore, they stem from an area when the economy boomed, fuel was a dime and there were no debts. If anything, the modern unapolitically American car is the full size SUV.

The wall fell, that's what happened.

Sorry to hear that. Mine's been rock solid. No issues.

People just buy fucking SUVs if that’s what they want. That’s why Caddy stopped making big boats and started making sporty cars.

Cadillac fell for the fwd meme. It was acceptable when everything handled like shit and fwd was a technological marvel. But luxury also started to become more about performance. Cadillac came up with some impressive cars but fwd and proprietary V8's they got outclassed and forgotten about easy. They started going rwd and are now becoming more relevant.

>because of CAFE standards ywn buy a new caddy with a 500 cubic inch V8

A lot of american cars are centered around the philosophy of : "Look what you get for your money compared to x" or "it's such good value." Which is a critical error in trying to sell an exclusive / lux brand.

>>can't compete with euro brands - despite better performance, and interior build quality.

I have a rental XTS sitting downstairs right now and honestly, the interior quality in terms of materials is actually better than the last couple of E class cars I've driven. The only car I've driven that easily exceeds it in every way was the S550, but it better for the price.

they paid rappers to put the name in music and videos and it damaged the brand beyond repair.

I have such mixed feeling about Cadillac. As an American I REALLY want them to succeed but I think not even Cadillac knows what to do with the brand. The V-Series is fucking sweet but as this user pointed out, Cadillacs were comfy land yachts with smooth as ride. Not sports car. They alienated their fan base by going away from the comfy land yachts and by trying to go after the young hip crowd that likes to go fast. They're going away from what made them good in the first place.

If I were them I would focus on making the main lineup of cars nice luxury cruisers. And then I would make a a separate v series who want to go sanic fast. I highly considered getting the cts v coupe since I loved how different it looks from anything on the road. Literally looks like something straight from a Sci fi movie.

I agree with you, they need to separate their lineups. unfortunately everyone wants sporty-econ cars from the look of it, from kia to bmw they all have sporty trims packages etc on their entry level cars and up. Yes the coupe is something different compared to other cars on the road. I get a lot of attention from mine and its a comfy daily driver.

> I get a lot of attention from mine and its a comfy daily driver.

Pics? I'm seriously considering getting one next year. It's between that or a benz. I've heard that the interior creaks and squeaks when you go past a certain speed. What are your thoughts on it? What year do you have? Any complaints?

Yeah, I probably posted what you read on this site. Not many ctsv owners on here. (On order of most to least audible) There are creaks on center console, driver side seat, (recaros) squeaks a bit, slight hardly audible tapping sound when sunroof is closed. There is some gear whine from differential its normal The sounds started happening around 50k miles (except diff that has always been there) and the hotter the outside temp is the more sensitive the car is to make sounds (85 F is a definite on mine). Also gets aggravated when driving hard, making hard turn etc. Now its not constant but you will hear a creak or squeak here and there under an optimal situation. I like a quiet car and it can annoy me a bit (I might be being a little picky no one has said anything about it), but if you turn up the sound or have your windows open a bit you wont hear it at all. Mine is a 2013 bought with 30k miles and has 60k miles now. Its my daily, I do push the car a bit almost everyday whether speed or handling. I have been to couple of meets here from Veeky Forums take that any way you want haha. Overall i love the car, no issues apart form the above mentioned. fun to drive steering feels a bit numbed but not as bad as mercedes E amg. Its heavy feels heavy specially on small tight roads. Your rear tires will wear out very quickly even with traction/stability management on no matter what unless you grandpa the throttle. Change the stock intake (its very quiet) to an airraid or something similar and you will hear the super whine and it gets addicting. Make sure to do all factory scheduled maintance. Its a bit expensive but a lot cheaper than any european car and i have not had any issues with it at all. Also change the differential oil asap and every 30k after that.

this

GM and strict emissions

>If I were them I would focus on making the main lineup of cars nice luxury cruisers

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that what they're trying to do with the escala?

the problem is that the barge crowd wasnt even boomers the guys who bought barges are from "the greatest generation" and they are kinda dead or unable to drive.
>tfw the last wwii veteran will die in a few years

This post gave me feels.

Yeah but they wont produce the escala

I wont wanna roll my car if I decide to press the pedal a little.

fpbp

there will always be old people, user.

old people who dont want to go uncontrollably fast and just want a soft seat to cushion their achy hips.

you'll be there one day, user, we all will.

old people like suvs and crossovers because its easy to get in when you got old knees.

People’s opinions

SUVs are too high up and large for them. Plenty go for the crossover though. Old people get shorter too, all the elders I knew enjoyed a mid-sized car with good adjustable seats to get them and their friends to bingo.

>Land Rover
>Off road
I have never in my life seen a newer Land Rover on a trail in person. They're Basketball American and suburban mom SUVs now

This. Old people like midsize econoboxes like Corollas. Cheap, reliable, simple, safe, comfy, good mileage, i.e. boring.