Favorite 4x4?

What does Veeky Forums think about 1st and 2nd gen pathfinders and 1st gen xteras? I want to pick one up to replace my wrx for daily and heavy camping and light offroad use, I just wanna be able to load up my 2 best friends and our supplies and guns and not get stuck/rip my front lip off anymore. The wrx is just too low, even with no modifications and I'm tired off it. I like the Nissans because they're pretty easy to find in manual and don't seem to carry the same tax as Toyotas here in the PNW. Also they don't seem as abused as Toyotas. What are some other good options?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TmBibFdMIRU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Geo Tracker / Suzuki Sidekick

I hear the old vg30/33 trucks get terrible gas mileage. Seems to make sense. I'd rather get the 01+ with the newer engine.

I would love one of these if they had more room, but at the same time I get the appeal of them as being super small.
Thanks for the tip man, I'd be looking to get a KA powered older one if I did just because I'm super familiar with them from years of 240 ownership.

4runners and Land Cruisers take a giant shit on the rest of the market

i mean, i agree with you, but a beat ass land cruiser will go for like 4 times the price of a clean pathfinder where I live. I just can't justify the price. And 4runners are the same except they're even more modified and abused in the PNW.

1995 isuzu trooper

4wd ranger. no contest

stay cucked with your little nipshit pieces of garbage

This. I have an FX4 Level 2. Great at offroading.

LOL did a nissan ran over your mom or something?

I have the second gen pathy from 03. Mine is fully loaded and runs like a top. Very reliable, decent highway mileage (18 generally, but that's decent for a "truck" type vehicle around here. ) And rides pretty nice for a sportier SUV. Will shit and 'git on the highway and cruises comfortably up past the speed limit. Tops out at 115mph electronically governed, but it's probably for the best. I've replaced an old battery and a camshaft position sensor since I've owned it but it seems rather easy to work on otherwise. Truck has 190k just about on her now. No major service issues reported from last owner and my mechanic says it looks great mechanically.

Just make sure there's not shit loads of rust on it my man.

For your needs? Three people and gear may push the interior cargo room slightly but there is a good roof rack on it and the ability to tow. I'm certain you could make it work. Just fold down the larger side of the split bench if needed.

4x4 prowess is to be found. Solid rear axle, IFS, I only had it stuck once when I listened to my dipshit friend and slowly drove through a mud pit (it was midnight and I couldn't see over the bluff. Asshole said he went through earlier but failed to mention that that was last week. Had street tires. Got it unstuck myself.)

I'd recommend a mechanical front locker (Lokka or Aussie Locker) first and consider an LSD or air locker in back. Also get decent tires of fucking course.

If you're interested in lifting it go with a kit from Old Man Emu or if Skyjacker has anything.

I'd also look at an OBS Tahoe late 90s. They have even more space, and mine has a story to tell. Developed a knock at 30k. Rebuilt engine. Knock was worse. Said fuck it. Truck has nearly 300k on her and the knock has vanished except for in extreme cold.

Trans still runs wonderfully after having the planetary gear chipped (gives it this awful supercharger type whine when you're in drive)

Hope this helps :)

>Ranger

enjoy your shitty, anemic V6 piece of shit engine that gets the same gas mileage as a V8 gas guzzler

I'd agree if Rangers would get out of their own way. Unfortunately though it's basically a Ford Windstar with a truck body thrown on top. Best uses I've seen them for have been part and grocery getters, instrument salesmen, and helping the occasional friend move houses. The long bed really only has that going for it though.

Absolutely adore mine, definitely get a 3.5 powered truck that engine is leaps ahead of the old VG. That thing goes just about anywhere I point it. Both the pathy and the 4runner in picrelated are mine and I always drive the pathy unless I reaaaallly wanna drive stick or I'm genuinely concerned about breaking the truck. Wouldn't trade my R50 for .

Fellow pathy owner! I've seen some people get stock R50s with just off-road tires get into some damn tricky places with the modded Jeeps gawking at them. Very satisfying vehicle I love it.

Thanks for the tips, I'm not sure how much I'd want to mod it really, I just wanna keep it as reliable as possible, aside from some tires. I don't think I'd be doing any crazy off roading, mainly just bumpy gravel roads that usually chew through my wrxs front bumper. the more I look at the 2nd gens the more I love the look of them.

How would you compare the pathfinder 4runner in terms of interior space? do you think its more reliable? 3rd gen 4runners are another one I'm looking at, but price and high mileage kind of worry me

Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0

>

>aluminum unibody

XJ would be great, honestly, but only in light trail conditions (no boulders or mud). It's lockable and you can sleep in it. Living out of one in a personal life crisis would be easy. Bikini top YJ is my favorite 4x4 but it's useless for nearly everything.

Just 5.0 swap it. It drops right in.

>Aluminum
Can't tell if "unibody is crap" comment, or just trolling. Only aluminum in an XJ is in the power train (bits)

But I think making a crawler out of one is heresey.

YJs are definitely more rugged than the TJā€”thin metal, but comfier suspension due to coils.

don't think the pathy every got the ka. AFAIK they only got the z24i in 87,88,partly 89 then vg30i in 88 and went exclusively vg30e after to 95. after that was vg33e. Don't care about the Terrano since we didn't get it. What I'm getting at is the vg is leagues superior than the z24.

forgot to add they had the vg30i since inception TO 88 then vg30e afterwards.

topkek, my little 2.9 v6 will smoke your shitbox like hiroshima and nagasaki

Land Rover D1 ('99).

$40k brand new... you can grab them with leaky head gaskets for about a grand. $3k diy head gasket, lift, tires, etc and you have the best 4x4xfar

I got an 04 4runner limited from 4.5k cad.
A bit of work but I like working on it and it drives fkn awesome.
Would do again.

B L A Z E R
L
A
Z
E
R

Favourite 4x4? Landcruiser of some description, probably an HDJ80. However, they're overpriced and I gather there's no factory turbo diesel option in OP's region.

Bang for buck? Can't go past a 2nd gen Montero. Just make sure it's one of the later 3.5L versions as the 3.0 were underpowered and had a weak drivetrain.
The 3.5 Monteros had a phenomenally overbuilt drivetrain with either the A340 automatic gearbox from a 4Runner/Soarer/Supra/JZX or V5M31 5 speed manual from a Fuso Canter. They also had an 8" diff up front and a 9.5" diff in the rear (again from a Fuso) with 31 spline axles that had a 33.5mm diameter (Landcruisers had a 33mm axle and 14 bolt GMs had a 34mm diameter axle). The 4 speed auto shared with Toyota means a 1UZ-FE is almost a bolt in job with the exception of engine mounts and engine/transmission harness fit out should the factory 6G74 expire.
On the subject of the motor, the 6G7 engines came in a few guises, but the 24V SOHC 3.5 would be the pick from the later wide body "gen 2.5".

Basically think of them as a 4runner size wagon with a Landcruiser size drivetrain.

Forgot to mention, the later gen 2.5 Monteros had either a Trutrac style Torsen LSD standard in the rear with the option of a hybrid airlocker/LSD.

bermp

I used to daily a Vulcan, and averaged 19 MPG with relaxed driving.

the 3.0s are turds. I can get about 22-23mpg with the 2.9

They do suck, I'm not saying that they don't, but to claim they get V8 mileage is ignorant. It's also just as bulletproof as the cologne

Loved rodeos as winter beaters, a shame the frames were made out of pot metal and rust from the inside out

I love these but they're all fucked to death by hicks who don't know to care for a vehicle where I live

Baby Blazer/Jimmy.

2nd gen xterra owner here. Get a 05-08 xterra, they're cheap and incredibly reliable, I'm almost at 200k miles and never had an issues other than normal maintenance. Great on the road and with 4x4 you won't get stuck. The 4.0 is way better than the 3.3 and you can get it in a 6 speed. Plenty of power and can haul like a truck.

Also favorite 4x4 is the Ford Bronco

youtube.com/watch?v=TmBibFdMIRU

Seconding. Find a manual second gen Xterra.