First car buyer

Hi Veeky Forums, this is my first time posting on this board. Im about to purchase my first car and my uncle has offered to sell me his japanese import AE86 gt-apex toyota sprinter for 10k AUD. Its in great condition, needs some rewiring and new computer, also probably needs a repaint, interior is okay but one back seat needs to be re-upholstered has about 110,000 kkilometers on it.

I dont have pics of the exact one but pic related is almost exactly the same.

Anything i should know or ask? What does Veeky Forums think of the 86 in general

Also general AE86 thread

Other urls found in this thread:

ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/showthread.php/80977-T50-Rebuild-Kits-Who-wants-one),
ae86boy.com/buying.html
toyota86uae.wordpress.com/2013/05/20/the-hachi-roku-flow-chart/
dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/cto/d/aeobo/6356543095.html
dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/ae86-gts/6359027040.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

meme car.
10k aud could be a decent price if its in good condition.

Your uncle is meme taxing it. New computer and rewiring definitely makes it not worth 10k not to mention the other problems.

I should have mentioned he has the new comp and will give it to me, just needs to be installed. Only reason it need rewiring is because of the lights also. I cut a bunch if shit out because im a lazy phone poster

Its in perfect condition except for the comp which has to be installed and the lights need rewiring. The paint is optional, it just needs a touch up.

10k Is very reasonable in australia

Try 30k if you're buying it from anywhere else

Woah what the fuck? Didnt realize it was that good of a deal. I've seen one of these go for 7k only two years after a rebuild, it also needed a computer and rewiring. I've seen premium AE86s sell for 30k when they're like new and modded.

Pic related is 38k at the moment.

"IntialD AE86 Trueno/Levin coupe, only 83,000kms done, full documents logbooks from Japan. Superb neat and clean inside out, 4AGE with supercharged modification professionally done in the country of Japan. Carbon interior retro with water, oil, boost, rpm gauges. Carbon gear knob, Kakimoto Catback exhaust, Cusco adjustable suspension, fully service done and fully engineered by Australia RAW can be delivered and registered in any state in Australia. Very rare car will be gone soon."

Probably is that expensive because its a remake of the one from initial D, definitely meme taxed.

The rewiring could be a bitch if you haven't done it before, but it'll be a useful learning experience. I almost wish the wiring in the one I had was in worse condition. I just kept it rigged up to function most of the time, because I was too lazy to comb over every bit. ECU is simple shit. Do it.

Did he replace the LSD at any point? Check for rust, obviously. Trunk and sunroof are what started rusting in my California specimen. Distributor O-ring will need to be replaced if it hasn't been. Take a look at exhaust manifold heat shield to see if it's been sprayed with any oil. If it's not a manual rack, check the power steering for leaks. Pop-up motors will die at some point in Truenos. My T50 needed a rebuild after 380,000 miles; there's an Australian guy I was going to order a kit from (ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/showthread.php/80977-T50-Rebuild-Kits-Who-wants-one), but I decided a new T50 was a simpler option. Might want to grab that preemptively. He had new kits in stock as of a few months ago when I emailed him. Your Toyota dealerships may still carry a lot of parts for them. I could not find a fucking any fucking countershaft bearings in the US though. That's all the shit that came up for me aside from the plastic starter wire clip disintegrating from age which is a simple, but massive pain the ass, wrist cutting, cocksucking bullshit replacement process unless you take the manifold off or have tiny hands.

Could you do the rewiring and ECU to get it into driving condition before he sells it? If you have to tow it home and don't know what you're gonna get when it starts up, get him to knock off like 500.

You'll enjoy it if it isn't your only car, but they're still reliable. I'll likely replace my 07 Civic with one again for a local DD.

Yeah, nah. 30k is for museum quality with low miles or some pro drift thing. 15k will get you a perfect AE86 in the US. I can buy AE86s in CA in DD condition for $6-8k which is around 10k AUD.

ae86boy.com/buying.html
toyota86uae.wordpress.com/2013/05/20/the-hachi-roku-flow-chart/

Also, read these. This helped me to create an autistic checklist when I went to check out an AE86 from craigslist as a complete noob to car buying in general, let alone looking at 30 year old shitboxes. I'm assuming you know your uncle well though and that he wouldn't try to hide anything from you.

Oh, and if Australian AE86s came with oil coolers, you may want to delete that unless you plan on racing the engine for long periods of time. Better yet, upgrade. OEM will eventually leak and are not very useful. Don't believe most JDM AE86s even had them.

LSD Is completely fine, not sure if it's been replaced before, but judging from the condition I'd say they have. Sun roof has a bit off rust and there was a little bit on the trunk and hood, some rust on the shell near the wheel but not very much, and its something I can fix.
Not sure about the manifold or the power steering. Motor is also fine as far as I can tell.

I could definitely fix it up before he sells it, he's been pretty nice about it, offered to help me fix it up, showed me everything that was wrong with it, he'd done quite a bit of work on it already, he's thinking about getting another car to work on and he knows I've always liked this one so he offered it to me when I brought up that I was looking for a car.

Also thanks a bunch for these links and tips I appreciate the thought out reply.

How did you like owning your AE86? Ever take it out to drift on the road or on a track? Also it will be my only car for about 8-12 months but I won't be driving every day so I dont see that as a problem. I live in in a busy city so I can pretty much just take trams, trains and buses to get to most of the places I frequent and have it be faster and more convenient than driving, and if I ever need a utility truck I can just borrow my dads truck, he doesnt drive much these days.

It's not Aussie, it was made in japan and mostly driven over there by previous owners, my uncle bought it and shipped it over in 2007 or 8 I think. I dont think it has the oil coolers in it anymore, or if it ever did have them. He's spent quite a lot of money on this thing so I'm kind of surprised he's offering it for 10k

Jason from Rolla spares was just selling his mint 86 for 30k I believe.

10k is hard to believe....

I've got an ae92 trueno,can recommend the 4age.

Great engine, you'll forget the tiny displacement with how fun it can be.

Pic related is my 92 trueno

>How did you like owning your AE86?
Every day without one is kind of shit, if that answers your question. Best part of my day was coming home and leaving again to just fucking drive it. Didn't matter if it was just to grab groceries or take it on a mini-trip. I took it to a local mountain road after midnight periodically. Handled like a dream, but my tires were too sticky and suspension setup too questionable for me to safely practice drifting up there. You can still break the tires loose fairly readily on the streets, and the handling is predictable and forgiving. Good way to learn countersteering on wet surfaces. I did some very stupid shit in the beginning since it was my first manual and first RWD car, but never got into situations I couldn't get out of.

>if I ever need a utility truck I can just borrow my dads truck, he doesnt drive much these days.
You're getting the coupe, right? The hatch felt like a mini-truck half the time. I could fit so much shit in it.

>He's spent quite a lot of money on this thing so I'm kind of surprised he's offering it for 10k
Tends to be the case. I suspect the previous two owners of mine put in $10-15k. I spent about $2.5k (bought for 6.7k). It's not common for what you'd think are decent AE86s to sell for $10k USD. You'll see those listings frequently from overzealous sellers, but most go for 2-4k less. But I think in less than 10 years they'll be selling for about $10k regularly in average condition.

Yeah its a coup. 10-15k? Thats quite a bit but for such a nice car over 30 years old thats probably worth it. You ever think of getting one again? My parents have a farm a few hours outside of Melbourne in the mountains, pretty much no one goes up there, road is in great condition, if i were to practice drifting up there what kind of things should I look for as far as wheels and how would I get the suspension adjusted? Sounds like these cars are a lot of fun, I've always loved getting to be in it with my uncle. It'll be my first anything so hopefully I can get the hang of it. Also I think you're right about its price, these things seem to be disappearing steadily, I wonder if when most of these cars are off the road toyota might rerealese it, I'm sure a lot of people would love to get their hands on one.

This one isn't mint so that would probably be the reason.

Sluts are going to think that your $10k car is 1990 holden barina tier

>110,000km
>Jap model
>GT-Apex
>$10k

... Not a terrible price, good ones are selling for about $15k at the moment. They went through a bit of tulip mania last year when nobody would list one for below $18k, suddenly people stopped giving a fuck about them and demand went down. I suspect prices will continue to slide until good ones are selling for $10k again, people who bought them for more than that got burned.

You will find that Truenos are generally more expensive than Levins.

I hate you all. This is one of the only shitboxes I'd like to own for fun, but being in the us and the absurd meme tax means I'll never find a decent one.

>tfw it will never be 2005 again with 1k 86's everywhere.

The absurd Gojira tax means I'll never find a BNR32 for less then 20k

The same goes for any movie or show related car. Like finding a mid 70’s transam for under 20k is impossible even if the cars themselves were breddy crappy

I can sell you the ecu. I have a stock gts ecu and a megasquirt pnp

Do this.

>$38k
>stupid initial d paint job
>notchback

fucking retarded

also remember the only engine a 86 should really have is a redtop 16v 4age.

why the fuck would a trueno be more expensive than a levin? Shouldn't it be the other way round?

Cheaper in the US than they are in Aus. I'm told that you can get a decent GT-S for about $6k USD or so.

Truenos are the original meme car, all the autists like me want them and pushed the prices up.

>get a decent GT-S for about $6k USD or so
Fuck no! Anytime I've ever seen a decent 86 the retards wanted 9-12k. Literal rotting heaps go for 2-4k. It's disgusting. Look at this shit.

dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/cto/d/aeobo/6356543095.html

dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/ae86-gts/6359027040.html

>dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/cto/d/aeobo/6356543095.html
>seller implies it's a JDM car
>car is LHD
nigga I'm gullible as shit but I'm not that stupid

>giving a shit about what sluts think of cars

sad!

>terrible meme car
>perfect condition
>except for the things that aren't perfect

you're fuckin dumb as hell, buy a modern not-shit car.

Yeah, I'm trying to buy back my old one right now. Friend's been working on it. I'm sure I'll eventually end up with several more in various builds. The one I had I want to restore and keep relatively stock. Can't advise you too much on suspension and wheel setup for drifting. I recommend driving it and getting used to its current state before you go down that path. Check club4ag or any of the Australian AE86 forums for massive archives of information.

Did you go talk with the 9-12k sellers? Trust me, you need a way to filter out the retards who will offer you 2k for a functional, complete GTS if you list one for 6-8k. Demand is still high as fuck for the few functional GTSs in the US. There were never many to begin with. About 6k were imported. Compare that to 20-30k AW11s.

The guy puts his thumb over the plate, there's no carpet, I'm so triggered I'm gonna email this fuck, just to say "crush this pizza shit"

t. Homosex

>Did you go talk with the 9-12k sellers?
Nah man, I never assumed someone asking that price would be willing to go down by 40-50%. I've accepted that most people have adopted the position of "I know what it's worth because kelly blue balls told me so."

hey op if u dont buy it hook me up with your uncle i might

I dunno how good it is for a first car but you may as well get it, and if you don't like it you can sell it for a bomb to some autist.

Go for it you lucky Bastard
10k aud is like nothing
In whole of Europe the cheapest ae86 for sale is a 200.000 kilometer costing FUCKING 35K EURO

t.beta-cuck

Seconding this.