Why don't Roadkill like turbos?

Why don't Roadkill like turbos?

It seems like superchargers are fine, but not turbos.

Just trying to understand American car culture.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/WcjC00J8FaM
youtube.com/watch?v=y5ssRbr4bO0
speedhunters.com/2015/06/oldsmobile-jetfire-turbo/
youtube.com/user/effspot
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Just trying to understand American car culture.
Futile. It's the result of 50 years of V8 circlejerking.

These faglords are a meme
This isn’t “american car culture”

OK, sorry, I should have worded it differently.

Anyway, do you know their reason for hating on turbos?

their best car is turbo tho

yeah it makes our car culture look a lot better than it is

Turbos are a very different feel than naturally aspirated or supercharged engines.

Some people like it, some people don't. Throw in turbo complexity on enfgine swaps and it is kind of a no brainer on why they stay away.

Because turbos require a bunch of extra shit and these morons can't handle anything with an ecu.

Everything I don't like is a meme.

> these morons can't handle anything with an ecu.

That makes sense. It's not them, but their fanbase. They have to cater to their audience. If their audience doesn't like ECUs cause they don't know how to handle them, then they cannot do anything with ECUs either.

You think turbos require an ECU?

>what is the Rotsun
Supers are simpler to kludge together. Less piping. Thus, you'll see them more in a slap shit together show like Roadkill. Also they exist as bolt on applications for many American cars.
Did you miss all the parts where they run cars with standalone ECUs and even laptop tune them on the road?

No, best car has the hell cat engine.

You dont?

as a car culture, the US prefers superchargers to turbos due to a focus on 50s and 60s-era simplicity as well as a love of the drag strip, where superchargers were king for the longest time
as a show, superchargers are a simpler bolt on which is good because they never fucking finish a project in time anyways

Turbos are for faggots. They ruin the character of every car, and are only being forced down our throats now because of emissions/mileage requirements and the manufacturer's desire for planned obsolescence.

>whats blow-through

turbos make character

superchargers and all motor are basically just boring linear paths

My boss has a TA22 Celica that he rigged up with a drawthrough turbo in the 70s. The only electronics involved was a water injection systrm that activated on boost.

>TA22 Celica
fucking jealous as shit

>Having a shitty power band
>Character

Why would you make this terrible post?

>having more torque and more of it over the rpm range is a shitty power band

hot damn user 2 strokes arent that great outside of racing some of us like usable power

It's true, I doubt they are physically able to produce a video without a v8 in it

Rotsun was a V6.

and then it an hero'd so they put a proper v8 in

there was this lel

What boggles my mind about their engine choice was just putting the turbo on. 302s are super fucking cheap to hot rod with literal junkyard heads and intake manifolds.

How world shockingly different. The whole time they were probably saying, oh man to bad it's not a v8

Or you could try watching the show instead of being a steteotyping cuntnugget. They chose the engine.
youtu.be/WcjC00J8FaM

I have watched it, their videos are repetitive

jesus christ Id take an iron duke over a GM V6

they should have been like that

Then why did you say "probably" if you knew it not to be the case?

I forgot how good prime roadkill was.

I miss it too man.

The 4.3 is a good engine aside from sounding like a Porsche. Though if you go through the effort of swapping one in you might as well go all the way and go V8. Still better than the shitty stock inline 6.

I wouldn't say the stock i6 is bad, but they had a shell and were shopping for engines anyway, might as well switch to a V6.

Let me just go to the museum and find out.

This, it's another yuropors telling me about my car culture again...

thats a big discredit to Porsche cuz them V6s sound worse than any Porsche

and the damn stock 2.4-2.8 6s makes more or the same power as the 4.3

Even a minivan sounds better than a Posche. The flat six is a horrible sounding engine. And it's not like V6's sound good either.

The 2.8 is a gutless piece of shit. The cpi and even the tbi 4.3's have a decent amount of power and nice torque.

somehow a 2.8 making 170 is gutless but a 4.3 making 160 is decent

lmao

shit taste ears too

That delicious torque.

I love the Draguar and the Ranchero.

They do have a turbocharged Z tho.

They literally have a Cummins caddy.

They stuck a turbo Chevy 4.3 in a 280Z

What 2.8 makes 170?
not being a dick, genuinely curious, haven't found any in that range online.

I never thought they were against turbos remember the boost caboose episode, finnegan has a 2000hp twin turbo drag boat freiburger owns the turbocharged 1500hp f bomb camaro. this is a horrible post OP

280Z made that gross but only 135 hp for real

I was just talking as much shit as possible

Are these guys the American Mighty Car Mods?

yeah but they do everything way worse and more dangerous see this video for comparison youtube.com/watch?v=y5ssRbr4bO0

Not really comparable. Roadkill is two guys from Hot Rod magazine doing the dumb just for fun builds you want to do as a teenager on a smallish budget and ludicrous time constraints, which are then abandoned. MCM has been getting big and like to make nicer cars.

as good as they look, MCM goes out of their way to make everything look as stealth as possible to avoid cunty police

roadkill occasionally does something nice but it's very rare to see anything but mindless destruction since they got sponsored

still mcm didn't have the steering wheel held on by zipties or the radiator simply strapped in

oh, I thought you were comparing the 4.3 to the gm 2.8 v6

Finnegan actually seems to like turbos quite a bit between the Rotsun and his boats. He also likes doritos.

And what is? Civics with fart pipes

watched roadkill they're really boring compared to mcm.
MCM tries stupid fun shit.
Roadkill just puts a carb v8 in some retarded rustbucket american landbarge and goes to the dragstrip

That's just Australia man, they have no choice otherwise the nazi-esque police give them $700 tickets.

with a turbo

They're too complex for their hillbilly minds.

>Just trying to understand American car culture.
yuro here, fuck turbos. nothing will ever beat the smooth feeling of an NA carburettor engine.

imo the most recent episodes are boring as shit really whooa le crazy engine swap into a shit landyacht or some gay trackday shit

Because when you have to build a sketchy deathtrap in a small amount of time, n/a and supercharged are pretty damn easy. Besides, they don't need turbo power - most of their cars are overpowered anyways.

Both hosts own several home-tuned cars with EFI (although Freiburger has some wierd fetish with cable-operated throttles). They can handle it, the audience can't.

>the US prefers superchargers to turbos due to a focus on 50s and 60s-era
Which is exactly when US car manufacturers pioneered the use of turbo's on road cars.
> a love of the drag strip, where superchargers were king for the longest time
And where they're quickly being displaced by the more efficient compressors.

They make more power though.

Drag Beetles often use drawthrough setups -but those are terrible for the compressor blades iirc.

>2-stroke
>shitty power band
My 2-stroke has 80% torque at 3000 rpm and makes power all the way up to 8000 rpm and does not grenade untill about 13000 rpm
That is a usable rev range of 5000 rpm...

so your trying to understand the car culture of an entire country by watching 2 youtubers with less than 5,000 views on their newest video?!?!?!?!

thats like saying you want to learn about modern german culture by reading mein kamf

Last Roadkill episode already has more than a million views. What the fuck are you on about?

Only valid point is that they're two sponsored and payed journalists who can do whatever CUHRAYZZEEEE idea they come up with, which isn't representative of US car culture.

>want to learn about modern german culture by reading Mein Kampf

Actualy Hitler describes the politics of the weimar republic pretty well and modern germany is pretty close to weimar...

Also nobody formed german culture like Adolf Hitler.

Does Dulcich have his own series yet?

Roadkill is comfy as fuck. Best car show on youtube by miles

>although Freiburger has some wierd fetish with cable-operated throttles
Real Car Guys™ think they can feel the lag caused by electrical signals being sent between pedal, ecu and throttle.

>And where they're quickly being displaced by the more efficient compressors.

source on this? Every drag racer I've seen still has a roots supercharger.

I mean road kill garage is pretty damn good if you wanna pony up the money for their on demand bullshit

speedhunters.com/2015/06/oldsmobile-jetfire-turbo/

It didn't even need electric methanol injection.

Probably because they've done heads and manifolds a million times before, and already had the turbo and some parts for it lying around from the V6. What's the point of hot rodding if you do the same thing over and over?

You know a linear power band is good ri-
>tripfag
Oh nvm

>what is draw-through

Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure cable throttles have some stretch, and an electronic throttle can better prepare everything else in the ECU (injectors, ignition etc.) for a quick transition, resulting in better throttle response. The only argument against electronci throttles is''I don't trust electronics''.

Only so in heavily regulated series like Top Fuel. Truely unlimited stuff like Drag Week shows that turbo's are often the best bet for anything up to about 3000hp. Above that, there hasn't been any real testing with turbo cars AFAIK. Would be nice, seeing a 500ci twinturbo running 100PSI and nitromethanol in Top Fuel - but I think the speeds would be so ludicrous they'd switch to 1/8 mile instead of 1000ft within a very short period.

their newest video is under 10k views

their most recent video before that is a week old with 193,000 views

thats objectively trash

if you want a periscope into American car culture watch youtube.com/user/effspot he is American and pretty much has the average opinion and attitude of the regular American car guy

This post is truly awful, Jesus Christ

The powerband is always a tradeoff between usability and maximum power.

On a manual transmission commuter wi5h few gewrs or offroad vehicle a wide powerband is ususaly prefered over a high power engine.
Just like your normal commuter usually has 80% torque at 2000 rpm hand revs up to like 6500 rpm and makes about 60-70 hp/L

When it is about racing, especialy with small engines, a high power engine is usually prefered.
For example Kreidler used tu build a racing engine that made 22,5 hp out of 50 ccm, or 450 hp/L naturaly aspirated, but only made power in a narrow range of 900 rpm around 17000 rpm.
It had 12 gears and required powerclutching to get off.

Okay 90% of your post is irrelevant. Why would I ever give a shit about my engines power band if it's a commuter car? I'm talking about performance engines and a linear power band is better like you pointed out.

As we speak, the latest Roadkill episode (69 dude) is well over 1082k views.

You're talking about Freiburgers Roadkill Extra, which is a standalone series, mostly behind that damned MT Ondemand paywall. Of course it won't have views, especially considering the niche subjects they do in that shows. That other video is a teaser for MT Ondemand, still pretty good that it good just under 200K views. Still, every single Roadkill episode has over a million views, and new episodes generally reach 1 million before the next one comes out.

>Open effspot channel
>Pagani Huayra compilation
>Chiron
>Tokyo Motor Show coverage
>Japanese vanning
>Lamborghini
That sounds really representative of what an Americans can afford, and wants to buy.

>I'm talking about performance engines and a linear power band is better like you pointed out.
Except it isn't since a linear powerband means less power, wich is why racing engines usually have pretty peak powerbands and high power.

It is always a tradeoff.

aka

you cant drive and think boring engines with shit power delivery are good

>small displacement high compression memebuckets with a shit powerband are "interesting"
go ride the bus you 12 year old tripfaggot piece of shit

wut

2muchsperg in that post

motd is worth it for roadkill garage, early roadkill and roadkill daily stuff.