If oil temperature is what really matters, why don't they indicate that instead

as opposed to coolant temperature

some cars do.
i guess its easier to instrument the coolant side and its indicative of oil temperature anyway so why bother?

>have coolant and oil-gauge
>no gauge for gear or diff oil

Feels bad man.

My bmw e87 has oil gauge

My old Audi from 96 had all those things

Fucking this. My coolant gets up to temp within a few minutes but my oil takes 10+

they have no reliability so you need all that to know which 1600 dollar part on your 250 dollar piece of shit passat you need to replace

only driven jap cars, 120C seems abit high to be in the middle for oil temp

how would diff oil being too cold change how you daily drive, at least gear you can feel thru the stick

It's alright it's not like it'll ever be running anyways

120°C is about the limit for most oils, much beyond this and the oil starts to break down, lose viscosity and cylinder scuffing may become an issue.
It also depends where the temp is measured. The gallery can run hotter than the sump as the oil gets compressed in the pump and the bearings.

120°C oil sounds normal.
My bike's running temp for the oil is 130°-160°

>130°-160°
that sounds mental hot m8

Had to check it again, it's 105-150°C
It's mostly air cooled, it's hot as fuck.

is this coolant temperature normal?

i have seen that new BMW and some VAGs have 100°C normal...?

>no one uses oil temp gauges why
*posts factory oil temp gauge
>b-b-b-b-but german cars suck and smell like poop you suck your mom is fat
LOL THIS RETARD RIGHT HERE

why would you need to know the battery voltage? serious question, im trying to learn.

Because if it's charging less than 13-14V with the engine running there may be an issue with either the alternator or the battery.

probably. fuel efficiency is better at higher coolant temps.

>mfw my modern car doesn't even have a water temp gauge

>mfw my car has a coolant temp gauge but no oil temp, oil pressure, battery voltage, or tachometer

Why don't ECUs have a USB port so anyone with a laptop can get these sorts of readings without having to put them all on the dash when you're not going to really care about them while doing your daily driving?

other than security considerations I don't really see why the ECU doesn't have a USB port or at least go to the touchscreen equipped media console every new car has these days.

For every one person who would use it as intended, there are ten thousand who don't even know what an ECU is, would get confused by all the extra dials on their display, or would return to the dealership angry because the "broken" USB port won't charge their iPhone.

are there any new cars with good dash gauges?

Fucking faggot, thats what OBDII does!
You can even get bluetooth adapters that wirelessly connect to your phone.

the main reason there is a temp gauge is so if the vehicle is overheating that the drive would have a rough idea to slow down or stop depending on allowable driving conditions.

nobody wants to "download" their car's driving history once a week/month/year to find out that they overheated on Wednesday and they warped their aluminium block/head because they kept driving because no warning.

It's a diagnostic tool more than anything else. Sometimes a volt gauge or clock takes the place of a more sophisticated gauge on the higher-end models

my old shop foreman had a 335i. I've driven it a couple of times an the oil temp would hover around 100-115c during normal driving.

pic related

>hfw he's probably replying to a stupid toyotafag
don't encourage him

Cars used to come with all the gauges, then as idiots started driving them the gauges got replaced with dummy gauges, idiot lights, or being removed entirely because normies freak out at the slightest movement of a gauge.

>TFW I could have avoided blowing the engine in my first car if I had a mechanical oil pressure gauge instead of a dummy gauge
>TFW my friend's Geo Storm could have lasted longer if his coolant temp gauge showed actual temperature instead of only reading hot when it's already overheating
>TFW dad's old POS Triumph roadster has a zillion gauges and he needs every single one of them

...Are you a nigger? That's what the OBDII is in your car for.

Literally anything post 1996 has it, plug a adapter that can read the signals, download a app on your phone and presto! You can now read all informations and readings of your ECU.

My BRZ has both. I thought that was pretty common on newer cars.

>hmm theres smoke pouring out of the front of my car, i cant possibly know whats going on or that maybe i should stop without a gauge to tell me so

at the very least, why a whole gauge instead of just a warning light?

i had a vw rabbit made in the usa
it had a oil TEMPERATURE gauge in celcius. it just said CELLS
and a oil pressure dummy light.
what garbage!

i'm surprised that coolant temp is "hot/cold" whereas oil temp gives you a graduated scale with actual numbers.

>mfw will never have manifold pressure gauge

Yeah, you'd think they'd have put actual numbers on both.

Oil pressure Gauge, or oil temperature?

It's an LCD screen reads the same CAN/OBD data stream as a Scangauge

I call BS on having too many gauges to scan when your job is looking out the windscreen and driving.

stuff I need to know when driving
(A) - imminent danger to ME, i.e. loss of steering, loss of brakes, risk of fire, tire failure
(B) - imminent danger to vehicle, i.e. lubrication failure (loss of pressure, level too low), cooling failure,excessive rpm, engine/turbo bearings
(C) immediate attention - excessive speed, low fuel, battery defect, headlight/taillight failure
(D) everything else - stuff to work on when I get home

items (A) and (B) should be big-ass LIGHTS/Buzzers

items (C) and (D) can be some Nintendo-like vehicle animation with smoke, exclamation and question marks, and Mario jumping up and down with a wrench

looks like my Mark-I GTI (1983) except my speedo only went to 85 (thank you DOT)

the GTI came with an instrument pod that mounted between the dash and the gear shift console. It had VDO gauges for Oil Temp, Volts, and an analog Clock

replace battery voltage gauge with oil pressure and that cluster would be GOAT

Gaugelets, when will they learn?

New cars do. I can tell the exact oil temp

You won't get those readings with most consumer level OBD2 scanners.
Hell, you won't even get oil pressure from a lot of them.

Not really indicative at all. My car heats up to 180-200f on the coolant within 5 minutes, but the oil takes 15+ to get to the same point.