/stsg/ - Starsector General

Venerable Onslaught edition

>What?
Starsector is a 2D single-player open-world RPG space combat exploration economic game thing, basically Mount & Blade but in space.
Outdated but still relevant introduction video:
youtube.com/watch?v=UTCpVY80Bpc

>Where?
Official site:
fractalsoftworks.com
Official forums:
fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php#1

>Current version
0.8.1aRC8

>List of popular mods
fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=177.0

>The performance is really bad what do I do?
Other than allocating more memory for the game to use, there isn't much you can do.
fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8726

>Previous Thread

Why does this even exist?

even flavorwise it doesn't really feel all that TT

Its funny that the luddic path one is the best out of the 3.

free SO is nice for a lot of ships

also the ammo feed.

Yea we need more luddic variants of other ships like
a luddic Vulture

I was out of the loop a couple of weeks, what was this tournament about? and I´m about to try nomads, what should I expect?

custom made fleets I think all the same faction ships/weapons, fighting each other on full AI

>luddic Vulture
>Vulture

Hello there fellow space ships.

i like birb

what do you guys think will be in the next starsector update est release 2019?

Vulture seems too high tech. The Path should be about making low tech bricks even more of a brick.

outposts

just checked the video, sounds interesting but there needs to be some kind of balance regarding factions chosen
>first fight is vanilla vs DME
Jesus, might as well throw red into the mix

was a bad vanilla fleet though
If those were SO hammerheads things woulda been different

Unless DME got nerfed to death while I wasn´t looking I don´t believe you. those little shits refuse to fucking die. 3 gauss cannons kill a vanilla cruiser sooner that a DME destroyer. and don´t get me started with that fucking capital
I have an easier time dealing with Templars than with DME

It was a not so great vanilla fleet against a properly disgusting DME fleet. Optimized way beyond what should be done out of a tournament setting.
Plus the bracket was purposely built that way: last tournament MehGamer did very well, and the following round won't be easy for DME as the other fleets built up to counter them before the finals.

>DME
It seems that no matter what game I play, I just can't escape the fucking Russian Bias.

But it's also French, how does that work then?

It's the organizer's fault for letting people use a boss faction to build their fleet. :^)

All the fights were rapes, nothing special about DME cruiser raping ships that can't match its flux

>more of a brick

is that why ludd ships have SO and degraded armor?

What's the latest crack, and where can I find it? Also, is there a starter guide or anything for this game? What should be my endgame?

BIG
bump

bump from last thread

pls more

I only saved that one because it caught my eye. I'm not sure the name of the mod, but I'm sure an user from the last thread would know.

It's from that chinese mod that never got updated because it's all in chinese

I wonder if there are more Chinese mods after playing Appro-Light. I still don't understand the fuck I was doing when I tried being friendly to them for once and helping out Origenem.

whats going on here?
does the mod work?

look at the date on that filename, it's not recent

Wish my "battle carriers" weren't fucking pussie swho sat 3000 range away from enemy ships

Guess I gotta replace them with non-carriers or carriers that aren't pussies
Maybe reckless officers would help?

Also that Maul does hella work with 3 autopulse lasers

do the "battle carriers" have the COMBAT tag? because yeah otherwise they're just gonna sit in the back

>Watch the tourney because I missed it
>Valiants instakilling a wolf

how much damage per shot do those fuckers do anyway?

Literally nothing wrong with fluxless damage on infinitely respawning fighters!

user all fighters are fluxless, deal damage, and respawn infinitely

some of them don't deal damage m8

Fake copies that orbit the real ship making electrical arcs, so bad times if you get close if I remember correctly. I kinda miss the shit I had to deal with back during 0.7.2. Dark Spire, Appro-Light and Knights Templar being dicks raping everyone in Hyperspace.

name one. vanilla.

Claw
Easy
Hit me again

claws deal 25 damage per shot, fucktard

>weapon_data
>name,"id","tier","rarity","base value","range","damage/second","damage/shot","emp","impact","turn rate","OPs","ammo","ammo/sec","reload size","type","energy/shot","energy/second","chargeup","chargedown","burst size","burst delay","min spread","max spread","spread/shot","spread decay/sec","beam speed","proj speed","launch speed","flight time","proj hitpoints","hints","tags","number"
>Cull,"diableavionics_valiantleft",,,,600,,70,,,30,,,,,"ENERGY",40,,0,0.33,,,0,5,0.5,5,,2000,,,100,"SYSTEM",,
>70 energy damage per hit
>2 guns
>.33 chargedown and 0 chargeup, 3 shots per second if I get this right
>210 energy dps per gun
>420 energy dps per fighter
>820 energy dps per LPC

So a buncha wings of them can't even overwhelm a frigates flux
gg

plus, of course, the missile and PD laser

Tip to modders: Taking a missile weapon that is superior to everything in vanilla then making it recharge as fast as it fires is NOT how you balance stuff.

kk

which one are you thinking of?

Basically all of them?

There is only one missile weapon with recharge in vanilla and it's a pile of shit

energy dps per LPC
840, how did I fuck that one up

you sound dumb and angry.

your concerns have been given due consideration.

This is a bad idea

your enforcer is overweight

it'll chew up fighters and frigates that get close i tell ya hwat

This reminded me to ask.

How the fuck do you make Enforcers work and not lag 986827364 kilometers behind the rest of the fleet once combat starts?

Reckless officers. With the burn drive, you'll have wreckages flying at the enemy at 300 speed.

>you'll have wreckages flying at the enemy at 300 speed.

I'm a noob but for some reason I'm having the feeling that I should stop recovering Enforcers altogether.

>degraded engines

vendor

Vanilla wings:
Broadswords
>300 Kinetic dps per fighter
>900 KE per wing

Gladius
>152 Energy dps + 300 Kinetic dps per fighter
>304 Energy + 600 Kinetic per wing

Thunder
> 50 HE + 200 KE + 50 Energy + 800 EMP per fighter
> 100 HE + 400 KE + 100 Energy + 1600 EMP per wing

Warthog
> 225 HE per fighter
> 675 HE per wing

Claw
> 50 Energy + 800 EMP per fighter
> 250 Energy + 4000 EMP per wing

I don't know user, it seems like every fighter wing has a lot of dps anyway.

Few things annoy me more in this game than watching simulator AI duke it out.

Some fighter wings need flux to fire their weapons so the sustained dps isnt as high as it appears

Could I please get some points on what types of missiles are best suited as secondary armament in vanilla?

Right now I'm using swarmers/salamders/pilums for the AI, and annihilator rocket launchers/pod or sabbots if I'm piloting the ship.

And so far I only had a single Venture class ship that used missiles as more of a main armament.

Haven't had yet a ship capable of mounting the large variants so I don't know much about them.

Well yes, but the Valiant too. Plus it has a shield so it can be overloaded, and unlike the vanilla wings his weapons can be disabled with damage and EMP. My point is I don't think the DPS is the issue with the Valiant, the weapons' range and the shield being OMNI would probably give better results if changed.

It's almost impossible to go wrong with slapping sabots or harpoons wherever you can fit them. Sabots rip through shields and harpoons have very nicely sized booms.
Reapers are also a good choice, and the AI is alright at deciding when to blow its load.
If you can get a critical mass of Pilums firing they'll make a ball of death that rips apart damn near anything then retargets to another hapless victim. You'd need dedicated missile boats to do that well, though.

Sabots are pretty OP, you get fucked whether you block it with armor or shields and the range at which they engage makes it hard for PD to hit it.
Salamanders are good if you have multiple launchers. A single missile is easy pickings since chances are there's nothing else for the enemy's rear facing PD to shoot at.
Annihilators are useful for applying pressure without flux costs, though the small variant isn't really worth using over Harpoons/Sabots.

post dakka

Now post the others of that thread. Mainly the TriMauler and the constant firing UHAC

oh god my dong is almost expanded to capacity
only by playing Starsector version 0.8.1aRC8 with Tiandong Heavy Industries will dong overexpansion be prevented

*destroys your armour*

Looks like you could use an extra large serving of freedom!

Tourney vid, where?

It's available on FallenShogun's twitch.

>Error: Could not find or load main class com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher
This started showing up when I changed the RAM values in vmparams, and now starsector won't launch anymore even if I change it back. God damnit.

reinstall

I did, but I cannot change the RAM values basically without the game breaking.

works on my machine™

You're sure you changed them with your system capability and that min and max is the same?

Yeah. I have 8GB of ram. Setting to any value (2048, 4096) breaks it.

10 bucks says you used notepad or wordpad instead of a proper editing software and it screwed up your file format.

I used vim, but nice try.

Such a perfect combo. playing with the range of these and vanilla/II weapons to get an almost perfect range line is amazing

That freedomship made me tear up

>that description
That sounds exactly like something out of an anime.
And i can't decide whether it is retarded or retardedly awesome.
New approlight update where in the backstory it's revealed the whole faction is the result of a Tri-Tach employee trying to make his waifu real when?

Two weapons user.
Three if you want to be precise. Salamander MRM, Salamander MRM Pod and Pilum LRM

all wings ignore weapon flux

but they also miss most of their shots/firing time because of their movement patterns. i don't think any vanilla wing reliably hits 50% of their theoretical DPS, with stuff like talons and broadswords being much lower

wanzers seem pretty good about hitting stuff otoh

>i don't think any vanilla wing reliably hits 50% of their theoretical DPS

actually i suppose wasps would be in the 70%+ category, assuming that literally nothing shoots back

but there's always something shooting back and lol wasp durability

phase drone bump

What mod is this from? I think it might be one of the most OP weapons I've used in game.

>Nemean Lion

SCY

>hey what if the HIL dealt three times as much damage?

Is the game worth running on my 2.3 GHZ AMD, 4 gigs of ram laptop?

Any decent mods that won't destroy balance or performance?

Is vanilla fleshed out enough to be fun for a couple days?

Actually, just as much as the HIL since the "939 damage" is irrelevant for that weapon.

>says Nemean Lion right in the description
nigga did you even try

i'm seeing 517 + 900 damage per burst at 109 s/m for 2500 burst DPS at a ~1:2 HE:energy mix

but hey it could be completely different since like 70% of what the gun (supposedly) does is locked up in an onhit and i'm not gonna install scy to test it

The charges only last one burst so the weapon is perpetually using the sustained dps (258+225), not the burst one.

yeah ok buddy

let's try that on a fresh target with an officer and using one HEF charge

p gud for 3,7 secs of firing

Also the scripted damage doesn't get improved with High Energy focus so that ship is probably not the best one to use it on. It also used to have a much worse armor penetration than the HIL, but the changes in armor damage calculations threw that out of the window.

lol

25k in 4 secs np

but hey maybe it's expanded mags that are causing this, they do make burst weapons even more bursty

let's test some autopulse lasers for comparison