Is the Miata getting Skyactiv-X? 200HP in this thing would be pretty quick

Is the Miata getting Skyactiv-X? 200HP in this thing would be pretty quick

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=589321
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Mazda
>Ever giving the MX-5 a decent engine
In your dreams.

You want 200hp? Get the 124 and tune it.

well they did have nb msm with a turbo engine

The engine is one of the most decent on the road, it's the tuning that's for the fuel economy. Do you know how to tune an engine?

>1.4 turbo
>2.0 supercharged
I'll take the one with instant response, no lag, better sound, and superior fuel economy under hard driving. Also the Miata is lighter.

i might actually buy one if they do and the engines turn out to be decent

actually that 124 engine tunes super well, and turbo swaps are easy since it's at the top of the engine.

1.4 is a great engine, for 1992

Uh, the Miata is N/A and 200hp on a 1.4 wouldn't be all that leggy. The Fiata also has a more durable gearbox and better suspension tubing off the showroom floor.

>it's not that laggy i swear it takes no time to build up 23psi of boost
>off the showroom floor.
How does it feel to be helpless and make excuses? You upgrade that turbo and you're looking at way more lag, how do you not know this? A 1.4L needs high PSI to just break even on a decent output. Plus it's a SOHC pig iron dinosaur.

read up on the engine, it has an incredibly stout block and the abarth guys take it to 250hp with a turbo swap and some intake work, they only reason they don't go past that is because the abarth's transmission shreds then

you won't take either because you're a poorfag mongrel.

>an incredibly stout block
Welcome to the NA Miata. When FCA finally makes it into the 21st century we can talk, but the Skyactiv 2.0 is the superior engine that's an objective fact. Even primitive tunes for this newer type of engine are decent in NA form, not to mention they've been turboed even without internal work.

I'll be making 65k/yr when I'm done paying for my ST, 30k for a Miata (cheapest new sports car to insure) is nothing.

excuse me, but mx5 always had decent engines
just low powered

Are aftermarket tuning companies even going to understand how this works? HCCI is super precise and finnicky, I wonder if simple bolt-ons would fuck up the entire process

eh, 30k loan on a 65k salary isn't a good idea. that's a decent chunk of your monthly income after taxes gone
stick to the 15% rule. cars (loans, insurance, maintenance, gase) as a whole should take no more than 15% of your monthly budget after takes

>B6
>decent

literally designed for a FWD car and has cooling problems in the miata. The heads fucking suck and it wants to vibrate itself apart >7k rpm

>Turbo
>Less than 100hp/l
Pretty shit, especially given how little they sold.

>The engine is one of the most gutless on the road
It's a 2L engine making 160hp/150ftlbs. YOu can get that out of an early 00's Alfa, from the factory. If you try and tune the Mazda, it quickly runs into detonation because of the ludicrous CR. By comparison, you need an exhaust, intake, and tune (3K) to get from the ND what you can get from a simple, warrantied tune on the 124, for less than 700 USD.

2L isn't supercharged though. You're delusional if you think superchargers ever get better MPG than turbo's, under any condition. Miata is lighter yet slower.

You can get 200whp on the stock turbo, you can upgrade the turbo and go for a VGT, which can actually decrease lag. Sure, old turbo's had pretty bad lag if you shoved >23PSI into them, but it's clear you haven't driven one. By using Multiair, you can severely reduce lag. Koenigsegg is doing a similar thing, but way more complicated.
>Plus it's a SOHC pig iron dinosaur.
Comfirmed for knowing nothing. I's a 16v OHC engine with more VVT/VVL than any other engine for sale. Iron blocks are good for shoving boost into.

>but the Skyactiv 2.0 is the superior engine that's an objective fact.

>Less power
>Less torque
>Half the powerband
>Slower car
Keep deluding yourself.

Also
>Turbo kits with less than 0.5 Bar
>Worthwhile
Nah. For the same amount of effort, you could have a 300hp 1.75T in the Fiata, which would be lighter than the 1.4.

>decent
>low powered
You're contradicting yourself here.

>65K
I hope you aren't the one that calls everyone else a poor fag.

>2L isn't supercharged though. You're delusional if you think superchargers ever get better MPG than turbo's, under any condition. Miata is lighter yet slower.
You know this whole thread is about the Skyactiv-x engine right?

I think this subject is going over your head

>taking out jewish loans on rapidly depreciating assets

Wew

Honda was making stronger 4pots in the 90s rofl, and gl to anyone that says the word unreliable about a 90s Honda...

I have enough savings to buy a 30k car outright.

Also, comparing the validity of a turbod car to a NA one is literally retarded. One will lag and be inferior as an actual drivers car, always.

If you want to cry about something, look at the electric steering and go from there.

great news!

Where in that post does it mention a loan?

My bad.

Anyways, a boosted production engine, to be built in 2020, making 155hp/150ftlbs out of 2L? That's American smog era tier.

Even if it gets better MPG, they should just team up with FCA and do the bottom end work. Fiat supplies a top end (with Multiair), and the turbo, and then you'd actually have a decent engine. Not one with a ridicudlously inefficient compressor from b1860.

Guys, when are you going to realize that the day of high output NA 4 cylinder engines is over? We will never have engines like the f22a again. That time has come and gone

BBR has a Super 200+ package that will get 214HP out of the ND Miata engine. A header + tune will make about the same on the FA20.

Sure, but that's partly my point. Emissions makes it almost impossible to have any 4 cylinder NA engine making more than 210hp from the factory these days.

>dropping 30k cash on a car with a 65k salary
WHEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Only thing that bothers me with these cars is they are really freaking small. You have to be under 6'1 to fit in them.

Feels good to be the height where everything in the world fits. Glorious 5'10. The only odd thing I've ever noticed were shopping racks were a bit low in S.Korea.

The decade old NA 1.6 Duratec in my Fiesta makes 135hp factory and a basic Mountune tune brings it up to 155 with no real stress on the engine.
That's pathetic

Why does Veeky Forums love the Miata but claim the BRZ / FRS is too slow?

They are nearly identical, and you get back seats and a proper roof in a toyobaru

Because back seats are useless when you have no gf, and the lack of roof is actually fun.

Convertibles are for gays.

>wanting a roof and back seats in a driver's car

Convertibles are fun, and I don't know a single gay guy that drives one.

>Because back seats are useless when you have no gf,
I guess cargo space is useless too? The Miata with a LSD is almost 30k and it doesn't even have a fucking glovebox. Not to mention its transmission is made of glass. Also, some people don't want to bolt on a roll bar to their brand new car.

I'm not saying the ND is a bad car, I just wouldn't spend 30k on one if I needed a daily driver

Stop looking at numbers and actually drive cars. You know why people say the Toyobaru lacks power? Because it feels like it does. You know why people say the Miata is fine? Because it is. Maybe it's torque dip, maybe the drivetrain is more efficient, maybe Mazda measures WHP instead of BHP, but either way, the Miata doesn't feel as lacking.

>>wanting a roof

If you want cargo space, use a cargo vehicle. Who cares about a glovebox when you can just put your laptop bag and lunch on the passenger side. You don't need much more for everyday use, unless you're a contractor, in which case you've got a van/truck for DD, and the Miata is your perfect weekend car. I ride a motorcycle, stop complaining about this so-called lack of cargo space on four wheeled convertible.
>BUT MUH REESKAR
Buy a clapped out racecar then, don't race your daily. Never drive your track vehicle to the track unless you want to sit waiting for a tow truck for hours after your precious car broke down, leaving you stranded for the rest of the week.

Transmission is currently fixed, people who don't want a rollbar on a convertible are either suicidal, stupid, or won't drive it hard.

Sure, but the miata also feels like a soggy del Sol compared the the 86. Neither car is perfect from the factory

It's a driver's car, not a crasher's car.

>I ride a motorcycle, therefore YOU should have no need to carry anything that won't fit in a small bag

If you actually have a brain, you can carry everyday belongings on a motorcycle. A car is easymode, even a small convertible like the Miata. A small station wagon with a trailer can suit 99.9% of all needs, a truck with a trailer can haul 100%.

Why would you ever want to bother a driver's vehicle with the weight needed to carry stuff? Especially so if you aren't carrying anything but the aforementioned bags.

Some people actually have other hobbies and like the idea of fitting a drum set, bicycle, or whatever in their car. That suddenly means they should spend 30k on a vert AND a dedicated cargo hauler?

Also, plenty of people drive their car to the track or autocross, it's not a crazy concept.

Like I said before, the Miata is a good car, but not everyone wants to spend that much on a 2 door vert. Why not just buy a comfy sedan and a cheap NA Miata for 4k? Isn't it the same basic experience?

>Some people actually have other hobbies and like the idea of fitting a drum set, bicycle, or whatever in their car.
Then buy a station wagon or van, or pic related. Why add weight to your fun car? Weight isn't fun.

>That suddenly means they should spend 30k on a vert AND a dedicated cargo hauler?
No, buy a cheap 3-5K van/truck, and spend the rest ona mint second hand fun car.

Driving your car to a place where it is likely to break is a stupid idea.

>Why not just buy a comfy sedan and a cheap NA Miata for 4k?
Because that wouldn't have the same utlity coverage as a wagon/crew cab truck and a Miata. NB>NA, too.

> Why add weight to your fun car? Weight isn't fun.

What if you could have a car that was 95% as fun but was also useful enough that you don't need a second car?

I was out at a flea market and bought a wine fridge. If I was on a bike what would I have done? Gone home and got a proper vehicle that isn't fucking useless and come back to pick it up?

I'll stick to wholly capable vehicular conveyances, thanks.

How about not going shopping with a useless vehicle?

You forget, it's not just a second van/truck you are buying, it's paying for insurance, registration, and maintenance costs for 2 separate vehicles also.

Also, how many times have you actually been to a track? I rarely see cars break down from a weekend of track duty. If they do, it's probably because the owner didnt maintain it well

BRZ is way heavier, doesnt matter how much more power it has.
BRZ is to the Miata what the Focus is to the Fiesta.

How about not buying, maintaining and paying insurance for a useless vehicle?

The BRZ is roughly 420lbs heavier, and there is a lot of weight that can be she'd from that number without taking away from the functionality of the car. How easy is it to remove weight from the ND Miata? Don't forget to add some weight to the Miata for a track approved roll bar.

>an engine needs power to be good
burger detected

yes the engine is from a FWD car, the same could be said for many other sports/sporty cars in a company's lineup, the cooling is fucked but even then they're still ridiculously reliable engines

>How easy is it to remove weight from the ND Miata?

pretty easy

forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=589321

It's already a great car

No, the gearbox can't handle 150hp.

How the fuck do you flip a S2K