Stopping in a manual car question

Hey all I need something to be clarified for me regarding stopping in a manual transmission and my my feet are doing.
Now here is the scenario
>I see a light coming up
>Lets say I am in 2nd or 3rd
>Foot off gas
>Light braking
>Right before the engine starts to die clutch/ shift into neutral and a light coast to stop.(not to be confused with coasting from the middle of the street)
>Now I can keep my foot on the brake and release clutch and just sit in neutral.
Here is my question
I want to put it in 1st but remained stopped at light to get ready for the go
Do I
>Keep foot on clutch
>Keep foot on brake
>Keep foot on clutch and brake
??
thanks for the help

just don't. i'm guessing you've just started driving stick? you'll get better at finding first.

if you insist on doing it, clutch and brake. but don't bother.

If you took your foot off the clutch in first you'd stall. Also just keep it in neutral at lights, shift to first when the crossways light turns red, or if you're farther back in the queue, when your light turns green.

You're going to get a shit load of different answers.

My personal preference is, coming to a stop - shift into neutral and slowly stop with the brakes. I don't touch the pedal unless I'm shifting. Pressing the clutch = wear on the clutch and the pressure plate, so I don't do it.

clutch and break I guess. there's lots of ways to do shit

It's alot easier to just do it and not think about it. That being said, if youre not on an incline and arent rolling back or forward without the brakes, you really don't need to use them when taking off.

just pop it into neutral, and use your breaks. when the light goes green, depress the clutch and select first gear. don't hold the clutch down, it will wear out your throw out bearing fast.

???? do you even have a driving licence? The question you ask is absolutely basic you need to know to pass a test.

Manual isn't mandatory everywhere you stupid fucking third worlder.Op's question is valid as anybody who has ever touched a manual transmission knows starting and stopping are the hardest parts. Fuck off. People like you make people hesitant to even bother driving manual.

This makes me wonder if the light changes while coasting in neutral.Can you shift into 1st while coasting?

Clutch down with the footbrake/ Handbrake engaged

>Don't hold the clutch down
This is just bullshit. Throwout bearings are made to take that kind of use, plus many manual transmission cars are designed so that the throwout bearing always lightly touches the clutch fingers.

"Proper" technique (aka what driving schools will tell you) is to never coast in neutral in a manual car but instead engine brake at first and then come to a stop by clutching out and braking. As soon as you're stopped, put in first gear so you're ready to go immediately and wait while holding the clutch.

The last option is correct if you want to stay in 1st gear while stopped keep your foot on the clutch fully depressed and the other on brake pedal when it is time to move just take your foot off the brake to the accelerator pedal and start releasing the clutch and give gas not that hard

just shift into 2nd

>it's an American tries to drive a manual episode

This. Cept just learn doing this down hill creates engine wear.

That whole throwout bearing shit is bullshit. I know people who have put 200k ALWAYS clutching in 1st and holding it for traffic. I live somewhere where if you stopped and wanted to turn left you would have to stop at the stop light before the turn (ifs its red) and then creep up in 1st and hold 1st untill traffic is clear. Throwing it in neutral the 1ist time is fine but once you make that creep up people will FLOOR it from a block away to try to beat your turn so its good to have it in 1st so you can quickly turn in without fiddling to much

ya you right, sitting at a stop light with both of my feet pressed into the floor and wearing out my throwout bearing is the superior option :^)

Depends on the speed you're going at. I like to pay attention to what the engine rpm is at whatever speed and gear combo you are in, and shift accordingly (with some sort of rev matching if you want to be slightly more advanced).

This may be a good if you are moving really slowly, but not always.

I'm still learning since I just bought my first car, but I try to be familiar with the machinery I operate.

>implying you perfected manual in 1 day

1) Brake pedal is pushed down.
2) Push in clutch
3) Put into 1st gear.
4) Keep feet on clutch and brakes.
5) Light turns green...
6) Foot off brake and then release clutch so you are driving in 1st gear.

This is the correct answer for most situations. Unless you know it's going to be a really long red light, like 45 seconds or longer. In which case I always used to (I drive autocuck now) put it in neutral and take my foot off the clutch. In terms of pressure plate lifespan, it's best not to constantly hold the clutch pedal down, it wears out the springyness of the fingers on the plate. It might not ruin all of them, but it can weaken 1 or 2 and then they break prematurely. Then your whole plate needs replacing, and you're looking at a clutch job now.

Neutral should be renamed as 'Angel Gear'.
Because when you shift into it, you're in God's Hands.

Coming to a stop I always shift down while applying brake until i'm in first.
Better for the lifespan of your brakes bc your transmission can take it unless it's made out of paper mache.

I only shift to neutral when I'm idling or at a light that i know will take forever to change.

>until i'm in first
either you're riding the clutch for five minutes until you're in gear your you attempt to rev match and smash your face into the dash every other time

downshifting into first is fucking retarded unless you're racing

>your
or

Is it okay to shift into neut and start braking if I see the red light? Or am I wearing out the clutch

Why would you wear out the clutch while in neutral?
Where does that fucking misconception come from? A manual transmission and a clutch are not some kind of magical device that works with only love and god's blessing.

my car(golf 7) warns me to stop pressing clutch when im on neut and not pressing the clutch so i assumed neut means cars keeping clutch down?

Neutral gear, foot off the clutch while standing still. Always.
Otherwise you just wear the throwout bearing for no added benefit and at this point you could let it sit in gear too.

Heres what you actually do when stopped

>when stopped go into neutral
>stay just on brakes
>wait for green light
>react go into first and drive

Whats the procedure for being stopped in 1st and going again?
Isn't it
when in 1st but wanting to stop
>clutch in
>brake
then to get going again
>remove brakes
>clutch out slowly

sorry i meant wanting to stop in 1st but keep it in first

In my coyntry if you complete your license with an automatic you aren't allowed to drive manual unless you take the test again, this time in a manual. Makes sense really, driving a manual is a lot harder afterall.

Definite slav or some sorta arab

>tfw born in a shitty third world country where only the rick folks have automatic cars

Growing up in Brazil i really thought that automatic cars were something out of this world

but everyonere here drives manual, even 70 year old grandpas

if you're in second i would just clutch and break until stop, but if you're in third or higher i would downshift so that you can still move if you need to. just don't let the clutch out without rev matching or you'll make your transmission heave.

>probably can't drive manuals at all

>Now I can keep my foot on the brake and release clutch and just sit in neutral.
>Here is my question
>I want to put it in 1st but remained stopped at light to get ready for the go
>Do I
>>Keep foot on clutch
>>Keep foot on brake
>>Keep foot on clutch and brake
>??
>thanks for the help

My fucking dude you must be American or a retard. You should just never keep your car in neutral. Ever. Period. Not when driving and especially when parked. No. Neutral. Ever.

What you do is you clutch in the whole time you're stationary and use the brake when stationary if needed. Also if you're on a hill it's easier for people learning manuel to just hold yourself in place with the e-brake to help the hill takeoff.

i mean to say i rev match down through the gears until i'm in first

>this whole thread
jesus christ this is just embarassing... people actually discussing basic first day of driving school shit. what is it with you americans? do you not have driving schools/instructors that teach you how to operateva vehicle?
it's not that fucking hard, if you're used to driving an automatic just do the same thing but press the clutch pedal so your engine doesn't turn off. it's really not that different and you absolutely do not think about this shit beyond the first days of driving school. you just do it. stop stressing out about this.
there is no perfect way to do it. people here ride the clutch and abuse the car super hard on a daily basis and those cara go no problem for 300k km. a little hiccup one day in your car is not gonna destroy it. cars are not that fragile.

also, don't listen to this moron
I coast in neutral all the time. if i'm in third gear aand coming to a light or the traffic in front is stopped I just brake a bit, clutch in, neutral, clutch out, keep braking to full stop. if the traffic starts moving before I stop, clutch in, second gear, clutch out, accelerate.
but really, you never think about this shit, you just do it. this is literally first few days of driving school stuff when you're not yet comfortable with the car and how to operate it. you don't think about OH SHIT WHATS THE BEST WAY TO DO THIS???? when you're driving.

>why do people who aren't taught how to do something not know how to do something? why am I such a retard?