Instead of ruining cars with road salts, why not mandate winter tires instead...

Instead of ruining cars with road salts, why not mandate winter tires instead? Use the tax money spent on salting roads to give the people credit towards winter tires.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GlYEMH10Z4s
nytimes.com/2013/12/24/us/wisconsin-finds-another-role-for-cheese-de-icing-roads.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because winter tires wont do shit on ice.

Some places even use sand on the roads. Only problem with that is you get cracks in your windshield in the summer but I'd much rather have to replace a windshield than have my car rust to shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=GlYEMH10Z4s

Getting protective coatings for your windshield and fascia against rock chips is both cheaper and more effective than getting rust coatings to protect against acid. I'll take sand any day. because rust is the only thing stopping me from driving my Mustang every day of the year.

>I don't know what proper following distance is: the webm

Just another day in China.

Planned obsolescence.

That would make sense.
Where I live the government charges 15% tax on all vehicles. Even if you buy a used car you still have to pay 15% on their evaluation of how much it is worth.
Government probably makes a killing from vehicle sales.

I hope not. Money not spent on cars is money spent in other ways, I don't see the economic benefit in destroying vehicles.

>live in yuropoop
>winter tires are mandatory
>streets still resemble salt mines during the winter

Burgers btfo!

The amount of people who don't slow down during rain or snow shows how stupid most drivers are here

Post cars that normies would never consider driving in the snow, in the snow.

I would have enjoyed watching that live...I would have brought a lawn chair...and snacks...

just winter tires isn't enough
unless you're gonna make studded tires mandatory

Tell me about it
>driving in a snow storm
>4WD on, going 60 in a 100
>nearly put myself off the road once at that speed
>douche bag comes up behind me and rides my ass for a bit
>eventually pull over and let him by
>he proceeds to go 110
I'm surprised I didn't drive up to a wreck. I can't count how many times I've seen people with their cars toppled over off the road in the winter time.

How about you don't drive jap scrap rust buckets?

Modern winter tires actually outperform studded tires. Studs are a thing of the past.

Because the cost is not commensurate. It'd be way more money to buy everyone winter tires, and they wouldn't be able to employ otherwise unemployable individuals who drive snowplows.

Plus it's more effective to remove snow/ice from roads than it is to equip vehicles with snow tires. You still have to know how to drive in snowy weather when you have snow tires. If the roads aren't covered, you basically drive like your normal cunt self when it's summer/spring/fall.

But really, we all know the salting is just to further fuel the Sodium Industrial Complex.

Not nankangs or hankooks
You can't really force people to buy good tires, and even then, they aren't much help on ice.

ok that went from sad to hilarious way more quickly than it should have.

>they aren't much help on ice
I genuinely can't understand why everyone has such an issue driving on ice.
Maybe it's because I drive a truck but last year I ran all seasons in the winter (I get bad winters where I'm from) and I just turned on 4WD and I did fine. I just make sure to give myself lots of braking distance and I always pay attention to my surroundings and how my truck is reacting to the conditions.

Salting the roads forces people to buy new cars every couple of years.

Well I don't have ABS for one.

It also forces cities/governments to buy new plow equipment and maintain a bureaucracy dedicated to it. Maintenance personnel, drivers, additional admin staff, etc.

And who do you think sells them the trucks? And plow equipment? And the salt?

It's all a scam.

>Modern winter tires actually outperform studded tires

What about modern studded winter tires?

> It'd be way more money to buy everyone winter tires

nice try, Commie

I actually don't know, was just reading an article from some tire expert from BF Goodrich or some shit like that. Basically he said that studs are obsolete and that there is no need for them with the quality of winter tires today.

Studded tires aren`t necessary in most cases, but they do help on ice. Also quite a few winter tires come in both studded and studdless form. If it wasnt necessary, then why give the option? Tire chains also still exist for a reason.

It would, because you'd need to set up an entire system for regulating and administering the credit. The only way it could work is as a rebate, which means you have overpaid government employees and tons of paperwork to process all of the rebates. If you just sent people a cheque and told them to buy winter tires, maybe 5% of them would. The other 95% would be typical niggers and buy a fucking iPad or something.

wanna know how i know youve never driven on ice with studless winters?

Hey man I didn't write the article I'm just repeating what this dude said.
Maybe they are better, I don't know I'm not a tire expert.

On an unrelated note, any experts in here got a recommendation for me here. I live in a place with harsh winters and the treads on my all seasons are pretty much gone so it's time to replace. Should I go with winters and get summer tires later on or just go with all terrain tires? The all terrain option is more appealing to me than the winter option because I don't feel like having to buy tires twice in a year and I can pretty much use those anywhere.

>which means you have overpaid government employees and tons of paperwork to process all of the rebates.
>implying this isn't the case for pretty much anything else the government is involved in
Regardless, I think the best practise would be to hand out coupons or some shit. Pay a designated tire store x amount of dollars and then people bring in these coupons for their new tires. To enforce it you could just revoke the coupon in the case if they get caught with no snow tires and make them pay the balance.

Ok that's great and all, but keep in mind those test were done at like 10 mph. I dont care what kind of tire you're running, if you hit a random patch of ice on the road going at a normal speed you're gonna have a bad time.

Yeah pretty much, yet another reason why giving people winter tires instead of treating roads isnt going to solve anything.

Luckily I've never had to, because they treat the roads where I live. It suck that it eats cars alive but it's a necessary evil in my opinion.

Wasn't that from the big snowstorm down south a few years ago where they almost never get snow so they don't have any infrastructure to deal with it and people don't know how to handle it?

If you can't recognize adverse conditions simply from looking at them, and need someone to tell you to drive slower in fog and snow, then you've failed as an adult human being and frankly deserve your death. The misery is with the passengers.

Most people don't deserve a license. The amount of fucking retards on the road is unbelievable. I consistently deal with people pulling shit that causes accidents. I'm really not surprised people don't know how to slow down in shitty conditions.

As a person who changes tires twice every year (okay sometimes I get lazy and use winter tires in summer), I can't understand how burgers drive with summer or AT tires in winter.

If I had to describe the difference, with winter tires in winter you can drive like as if it was summer, just maybe a little bit more cautious. With summer tires in winter you have to be extremely cautious and drive like you're 70 year old.

Driving in the snow/winter conditions is one of my favorite things in the whole world as long as nobody else is around to make it dangerous. My WRX+snow tires is no good against retards sliding around in bro trucks on all-season tires.

so I've heard spraying the bottom of the car with oil (and I read if I don't have used oil sitting around to get chain oil) will help reduce rust and corrosion

do I need to prep the car at all to do this? think I can just buy a spray bottle bottle and use that to apply?

>be american
>no one believes me when I talk about how effective winter tires are
>not even after seeing me go through 7 inches of unplowed snow in a miata
M-MUH 4WD/AWD

Where are you from user?
I just get mine undercoated. They use a special material that protects your car from rust. You should go to a shop and inquire about it.

south east Michigan

suppose I'll look into it, previous owner already went two winters in my current daily so my Z33 is not 100% rust free

>To enforce it you could just revoke the coupon in the case if they get caught with no snow tires and make them pay the balance.

And how would they get caught with no snow tires? You're talking about instituting local rebates with provincial/state/federal level enforcement.

It's not that simple, bro. I worked for municipal government for a while, and we had a water saving rebate for "low-flow" toilets - what a fucking nightmare. Took like 6 months to get people their rebates. Government is incompetent at all levels.

Best bet is for the state to not interfere at all. If you have winter tires, awesome, you likely get a discount on your car insurance. If not, and you get in an accident, then your rates get fucked for being at-fault. On top of that, you risk me beating your nigger ass to death on the side of the road at 2am when you rear-end me because you're a cheap pajeet running bald all seasons in -30 degree weather.

Ask a sales rep and see if it can help prevent further rusting. I imagine it would.
If you care about your car it is definitely worth the investment in my opinion.

DELETE THIS

>I crashed because the government didn't tell me to slow down or stop when I can't see where the fuck I am going

You must be fucking English

>I dont care what kind of tire you're running
Backpedal harder dumb fuck

I'll remember that when I'm driving the next six months on ice

Salt won't do shit to ice either. It still gets washed off the road.

>Luckily I've never had to, because they treat the roads where I live
it must not really snow enough where you live to be relevant here then

We can wish for that together user...
I'd say something cynical like "that would make too much sense" or "that would be too sensible"
Or something sarcastic about muh freedoms and Americans refusing to accept individual responsibility even if it would cost everybody less...
But I don't have the fucking heart to get mad about stupidity anymore. Just a tired sense of disappointment fading rapidly to indifference.
Ah, fuck this internet shit, I'm gonna go outside and street drift. Bye

No they don't. They only work on hardpack/loose snow, but suck on ice.

because it would be extremely dangerous to drive highway speeds on a snowy road even if you had snow tires.
plus keeping the roads salted and plowed prevents the retards that dont follow the rules for winter tires from crashing into people

>acid
You heard it here folks. Salt is an acid.

Used oil is pretty cancerous. You want something that won't just fly off. Look into lanolin, it's extremely effective at staving off rust.

Or cosmoline. Properly applied it'll probably never rust.

Dude who has the screenshot of that guy that was talking about how you have more traction in snow. Or something along those lines. Easily one of the funniest things I've personally witnessed on this board

Somewhere in Michigan on i75. Worst pileup we had in a while, made national coverage

t. live in the mitten

Well they are both corrosive

Who said there's overall economic benefit?

You're right: it's a broken window fallacy. The auto industry doesn't care. THEY benefit. They don't care about the entire economy at large so much as their bottom line.

This happened in Raleigh with a 2 inch dusting.

Can't you just tar all the steel underneath your car?

Clearly Asia you tard

With the amount of camera cuts and over editing, this looks a lot like Top Gear. Is it?

I thought it was i94?

What about mandating stability control and traction control in every vehicle?

Literally happened an hour ago
>driving home from work on normal route, raining like a mofo
>come to long straightaway before I get to my house, doing 40 in a 45, taking it easy, look like a retard driving a MK3 supra slowly but oh well
>tailgated hardcore by some car, watch him swerve left and right to check if he can pass
>figure fuck it, here you go buddy, speed up to 55
>guy wants to go faster, as soon as he can he guns it past me doing about 75+ judging by how fast he got away from me
>watch him go for a second, just barely see him fishtail as he passes on my right front
Yup, here we go
>slow down, don't want any part of this
>guy over corrects hard, is now in a retarded angled powerslide still doing like 70
>corrects again, hits divide, does a sick flip, slides more and a pole stops him
>slowed to like 30 to watch it all, stop, calling for help as I walk to check out the car, guy and girl are rekt, car is rekt, relay story to cops for like an hour
>guy and girl get rolled out in an ambulance, did not look good
All this in a fucking hyundai elantra, jesus christ dude

shit like this is why i have chilled out driving now that i'm a little bit older. that and no use in hooning a honda corolla appliance car. i'm not even going to dignify any (You)s to the commie idiots that think the government should force them to buy winter tires. last i checked, this is america, don't tell me what to do.

WHY NOT USE PRUNE JUICE

ITS WAY MORE EFFECTIVE THAN ANY SORT OF ROAD SALT AND ITS ABOUT 1/10TH THE COST AND ON TOP OF ALL THAT FUCKING SHIT ITS 100% ENVIRONMENTALLY SAFE AND BIODEGRADABLE

ANYONE THAT CHOOSES NOT TO USE IT IS ONLY BECAUSE IT TURNS SNOW BLOOD RED

prune juice?
what kind of magic is in there other than just sugar

OH AND PRUNE JUICE DOESNT HAVE ANY EFFECT ON CARS AND IN NO WAY WHATSOEVER INCREASES RUSTING ON A CARS EXTERIOR
WAKE UP AND FUCKING OPEN YOUR EYES PEOPLE THE STUDIES ARE OUT THERE

Cheese
This month, Milwaukee began a pilot program to repurpose cheese brine for use in keeping city roads from freezing, mixing the dairy waste with traditional rock salt as a way to trim costs and ease pollution.

That's gotta be pretty salty anyway right? Would it even be that much better?

>I dont care what kind of tire you're running, if you hit a random patch of ice on the road going at a normal speed you're gonna have a bad time.
You've never driven a car with winter tires, have you?

“You want to use provolone or mozzarella,” said Jeffrey A. Tews, the fleet operations manager for the public works department, which has thrice spread the cheesy substance in Bay View, a neighborhood on Milwaukee’s south side. “Those have the best salt content. You have to do practically nothing to it.”
nytimes.com/2013/12/24/us/wisconsin-finds-another-role-for-cheese-de-icing-roads.html

Other user here, driving on backroads at moderate speeds =/ driving on multi lane high traffic areas like in the city, you don't want ice there, it would slow down traffic, especially where i live it's a very hilly. I've driven in ice storms and its not fun.

You've never taken basic physics course, have you?

A mittenfriend that didn't die that week :,)

looks like Japan (plates)

Redpill me on winter tires. Is it really worth shelling out cash for these? I live on Long Island NY.

Have you ever driven in the snow?
No: Get winter tyres.
Yes: You already know what you can get away with.

We can't even convince conservashits to get health insurance for their own good and you want to tell them what kind of tires to buy?

Depends how much snow you get, from what little I know NY doesn't get that much snow. If you feel confident and safe and they're not a requirement then don't get any. Personally living in Quebec I'd rather just have snow tires, but I know people who don't use any and seem to do fine without them. If you're on a budget, try getting some used ones in a scrape yard, or just get a cheap new set, thats what I've always done.

Why did you stop

This. Never stop. Too much liability.

because this isn't commieland china where you might get fucked into paying for someones medical bills because you took an interest another human being in need of some help.

>accident he wasn't involved in
>liability
nigga what

>norsk flagg
hæ?

Bruh, the further north you go the less salt they use. When I lived in MN my town used grit (like really fine gravel). It could have been because they were poor, but it worked really well

No, if southerners saw snow on the road they'd shit themselves and either slow down or call a cab. People up north are used to it, so it doesn't seem unusual enough for them to slow down. Out in Los Angeles I saw people going way under the speed limit because it was raining a little if you'd believe that.

What is this, a nfs cutscene?

it's just because it makes the salt stick better, and they already do it, though maybe not specifically with fruit juices. when they pre-wet the roads before a storm this is what they're putting down. a sticky liquid to help the salt from being blown off the surface.

>filming vertically
Fucking retards. I hate when people do this.

0.01cm of snow would fuck me up with my summer tires still on.

>Instead of ruining cars with road salts, why not mandate winter tires instead?
dumbest OP I've read in weeks

Its not optimal, but good tires do allow for normal speeds and driving just about anywhere. If the ice is essentially polished then studless tires will struggle a bit, but as long as some are running studs you'll rip up the ice surface and allow for more traction

It happens here that those areas do get ice where its usually salted and clear, and accidents do happen - but with people more prepared and the ice treated I see no reason why it would be unsafe

Salt creates a basic solution. Lemon juice is acidic. Both corrosive, but far from the same thing.

What are studs