/ovg/ - Simgear Edition

Previous Thread: Our Wiki will answer every question you could possibly have. FUCKING READ IT FOR FUCKS SAKES unless you're a dumb American in which case you're not gonna read it, instead you're gonna go on Mumble and ask questions that are already answered there and everyone's gonna think you're a fucking moron:
>git-good.net

Swing by our Mumble server and introduce yourself!
>Mumble IP: mumble.git-good.net
>Port: 64783

Discord link:
>discord.gg/TRVUgV

Equipment Guide
>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uLKMbKwweUZ3QxFeNs8UeycZbDyo0McxGj7T6uTaTNo/edit#gid=0

We're racing ARCA and AC on Weekends! Check out our Google doc for more info.
>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R3KWTJvrlS9X2EZUNXY8KbHfsHD-t3_EU_A1n6wBBQc

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rsY1QU9lPq8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Fucking kill yourself for fucking with the OP

hot legs bby
post your kik

first

Name a better game

Play with me daddy ;P

>bare feet
You fucking savage!

Real thread

whats wrong with this thread?

haha, no

post racing

youtube.com/watch?v=rsY1QU9lPq8

posting in the better thread

>Advertising (all forms) is not welcome—this includes any type of referral linking, "offers", soliciting, begging, stream threads, etc.

Keep you shitty discord and mumble outside of ovg

So I bought Dirt Rally on sale a few days ago, it seems to be pretty good for the most part. I think it's the best rally game ever made especially considering every other modern rally game offering. Anyone else like it?

nth for RR3

>join WAT1

It really is the pinnacle of rally simulation, only downside is that you don't get to experience the real sweat and tears behind the rallying - wrenching on your own car.

My Summer Car has really grown to be one of the more fully fledged rally sims as it simulates real wear on all bolts and parts of the car. Sad that it only has one stage but currently it is the premium rally experience on the market.

updated picture

Hey look it's Quing Pang Xhing Zhou the Tencent employee upset nobody wants to freely advertise his Chinese garbage. Hosting those "free" servers for everyone getting too expensive?

>Anime picture
>too dumb to read
Checks out
I was always anti mumble. The discord fags are too pathetic to bother.

N-NANI!?
KANSEI DORIFTO!?

HAHA
OH BOY
IS THAT
LMAO
OH FUCK HAHA
AN INITIAL D REFERENCE?!

>>no car for reference

>hey I like to cherry pick the narrowest stage in the game to prove my argument
Also I can count the polygons of the stage in that webm with my fingers. So much for quality, might as well ride down the stairs on a sled to get the Poopoo2k experience.

Even the names of your webms are autistic.

these two look nothing alike, where's the water in the first one? Absolute shit game.

SVENSK SHITPOSTÅRNA
NY SKA VI BRÅNNA LAKRITS

OCH DELIVER SÜRSTRÖMMING FÖR MIN PAPPA

please no spanish, only english

>I can count the polygons of the stage in that webm with my fingers
low polycount does not exclude quality or accuracy. for what it's worth, the stages are pretty accurate

only major problem is most foliage is flattened to ground textures. 1999 hardware probably wouldn't handle 3D foliage smoothly, especially at that stage length

Wow the lights are all wrong in the car of the first video and if the game has a livery editor why doesn't it look anything like the real one?!

KEK
DOBERU CRASHU
LAMA
8-6 TURENO

sorry but i am a discord admin and anime is banned from discord
it can't be a discord person otherwise i will have to take disciplinary actions and ban their asses

It does when the stage mesh is like the surface of lego world. Many stages have their staple corners and Fake2k is unable to replicate these making it an unplayable mess. Saying the stages are pretty accurate is like saying that minecraft has realistic graphics

Instead of addressing nitpicks and shitposts how about you address a valid point?

>where's the water in the first one?
the water trap is missing, but you can still see the mud and dampness after the hairpin

could be a track artist's error or some gameplay tweak to make the hairpin more challenging (water slows down the cars a lot)

>you can still see the mud and dampness after the hairpin
more than likely just a recycled texture that happens to be there. It adds nothing as it doesn't add any real feel of danger like a real water trap. Very lazy and poor design

>more than likely just a recycled texture that happens to be there. It adds nothing as it doesn't add any real feel of danger like a real water trap.
the grip is actually very low on that hairpin, so the dampness does have physical effects. it's dangerous enough to drive that stage at night

a water trap would actually make that hairpin easier because of the stopping power

the stage straightens out in the first webm and tightens to left in the second one. How can anyone even play this unrealistic pos?

Monkey Island 2: Lechuck's Revenge

you know nothing about rallying and you are proving it with every post.
Go shill SHiT rally somewhere else.

Wait, hold on. Those two webms are from the same place in the stage?
Even ignoring the lack of water they look nothing alike.

the feel of grip in Trackmania2k is so vague and non-existent that any variations in it are just in the players head.

Tempest 2000

>rally2k having anything to do with real rallying
check'bait mate

r u ready

I want to do a 24hr but I don't want to buy Rfactor and my consistency is bad

It simulates rallying better than anything else. Feel free to prove me wrong.

Fuck yeah nigger. Is it releasing at midnight? I fuggin hope so.

>Miniclip physics
>realistic

DR is way more realistic

It simulates car flipping and changing tires.
In other aspects every other game seems to do better.

>thinking rallying is only about accurate physics.
SHiT rally doesnt have proper mechanical damage, nor you can choose the tyres of your cars. The track length and variety is a joke as well.
Now go shill somewhere else.

it makes a bigger difference in circuit racing sims where tracks have much more idealized conditions, which you can more easily simplify without as much sacrifice in fidelity.

in the case of rally, driving physics are not the only important factor in realism and immersion. unless you don't care about actual rally and just want to slide around gravel hairpins in a wide car with decals, in which case talking about realism is moot

another point is that no matter how well you model the driving physics, there will always be some error or wonkyness to it. even if you get the mathematics right, you won't get enough haptic feedback with just a wheel that can move/shake a bit by itself to make it feel real.

no game even bothers with a proper simulation of loose surface physics, it's always just a texture with a set level of grip multiplier. just modelling the car reactions at lab conditions isn't enough for a truly immersive experience

>11am tomorrow

FINE. Thanks, user!

>thinking rallying is only about accurate physics
its a big part you donkey

>thinking rallying is only about accurate physics.
Real life, admittedly no. Video games, yes.
Checkmate

>he hasn't downloaded the realism mods

this person gets it and is a certified Rally 2000 poster

/ovg/ in a nutshell.

>tfw spintires loyalty discount of 55%

>SHiT rally doesnt have proper mechanical damage
Yeah it could be better.

>nor you can choose the tyres of your cars
Fill me in here, why would you want to use sub optimal tyres? What does the option to use summer tires in winter conditions give you?

>The track length and variety is a joke as well.
The tracks are good though, the best I have seen in any rally game, it's only downside is that there isn't much of them, but I rather have this than 20km long rally stages that are bland and flat.

>in the case of rally, driving physics are not the only important factor in realism and immersion
Correct, damage model, wear and tear are important part of rally. Not saying they should be ignored. How ever you know what is more important? Driving physics and track complexity.
Who the fuck gives a shit if your car realistically handles damage and wear and tear when you are sliding a rectangle across a flat surface for 20km?

The physics and tracks actually set up situations where the damage model is important. Both are important but one is clearly higher on the priority list.

It's like worrying about condoms and lube while being a neet virgin and not actually having a woman.

>real life doesn't need accurate physics

tfw ac engine a shit

ONE
LIGHT
SOURCE

Basic rally2k shitpost logic:
Quantity over quality

>Fill me in here, why would you want to use sub optimal tyres? What does the option to use summer tires in winter conditions give you?
nice strawman there, but in case you're actually dumb and not pretending, let me explain

there are rallies where conditions can change drastically between service areas, making tire choice critical. prime example is the Monte Carlo rally: you can have sections of dry and wet asphalt, snow of various depth and ice. the driver must choose a tire that will provide optimal grip and durability in regards to the conditions, i.e. studded tires or dry grooves. it's not always an obvious choice, and in fact in WRC a right decision could turn the tables.

one game that got the variety of Monte Carlo spot on is the first Colin McRae Rally. there are actual multiple valid tire strategies that can work.

another game that has the right effects regarding tire choice is Xpand Rally. in the Swedish rally the obvious choice are snow or spiked tires, but the latter give an interesting effect when driving on paved segments - the wheels make a lot of noise and the metal studs produce spark effects, all while the car feels quite heavy to steer. the non-studded tires make the paved segments easier to drive, but lose grip on snow and ice sections. again, multiple tire strategies are valid without doing something obviously silly

we /Redline/ now

there's no dynamic weather in rallyshit2k so your point of changing sub-optimal tires is pointless.

>Getting rammed left and right by different people in every lobby today
Did i miss something today?

>but I rather have this than 20km long rally stages that are bland and flat
that's how real rally stages look like. they're actual roads that lead to places. most optimal roads are straight, not hairpins with no real direction of travel. you add bends to real roads to avoid obstacles that would be harder to drive over or through. rally stages are not some purpose-designed tracks with race engineered bends and hairpins.

if anything, SHiT Rally stages are the bland ones, having the exact same scenery textures and models through the whole length of each stage, with very repetitive corners. with Rally 2000 at least you can feel like going from one place to another

MISTA NO BREKU

did not even mention rally 2000 in that post

>there are rallies where conditions can change drastically between service areas, making tire choice critical. prime example is the Monte Carlo rally: you can have sections of dry and wet asphalt, snow of various depth and ice. the driver must choose a tire that will provide optimal grip and durability in regards to the conditions, i.e. studded tires or dry grooves. it's not always an obvious choice, and in fact in WRC a right decision could turn the tables.

Yeah but unless you simulate the weather and all the different patches of snow, ice and tarmac the choice will be exactly the same each time as to which is superior and which point you have only 1 right choice and others are sub optimal.

So explain to me how is it a big deal that players don't have an extra step of going to the menus at exactly the same time and choosing "the best tyre for conditions(that don't change)"

>but lose grip on snow and ice sections. again, multiple tire strategies are valid without doing something obviously silly
So you want variety by getting the choice of being slower on one section or the other. But that leads me back to the point that one option will be always better.

>I can't understand context
I suspect you are retarded

Whats Veeky Forums's opinion on Richard Burns Rally?

>James won't participate in leagues that use RFactor or AC
>But he participates in Forza and GT Sport leagues

Rally2k isn't a person; it's a state of mind.

because now everyone knows that James modifies game files to cherry pick the best parts of different cars in rFactor and he doesn't known enough game breaking bugs in AC to be fast.

almost like ridge racer

>Yeah but unless you simulate the weather and all the different patches of snow, ice and tarmac the choice will be exactly the same each time as to which is superior and which point you have only 1 right choice and others are sub optimal.
it's enough to have a series of stages with different road conditions/surfaces (even static) between service areas. in such case one driver will prefer tires optimal for one stage while another driver might try attacking on the other stage.

sure, dynamic weather would make it much better, but the choice can still be significant even with static weather

>that's how real rally stages look like
NIGGA the fucking tarmac roads aren't that smooth in my country let alone fucking dirt and gravel roads. Have you actually fucking driven a car in real life outside the fucking city?

what an inane and pointless thing to argue, only argument in tire choice that could be had is have tire wear and then decide what tires to use. Rally2k system is just half-assed

Pretty much any other sim. PC2 is for the arcade 5 year old Xbox racer. Not real sim racers. KYS

>Playing with assists
>Ever
What's your excuse /ovg/?

>only argument in tire choice that could be had is have tire wear and then decide what tires to use
that's what you can do in rally 2000 though

e.g. when driving Myherin - Hafren, or Hamilton's - Tyrone's, you can choose between grip and durability

because Dirt 4 wont let me change brake gamma and I have a load cell so I have to use ABS

You don't have individual tire grip or you can't rotate the tires like you'd do in a REAL rally

PCars 2 simulates more things than most sims. You're just mad your toaster can't run it.

>e.g. when driving Myherin - Hafren
Using snow tires in Myherin wears them enough that you're getting disqualified because you're tires are too worn, if you're starting with gravel tires this won't happen

would be a cool feature

also proper simulated dynamic weather in a rally game, not just random starting and ceasing of raining/snowing

didn't Grand Prix 4 have a proper simulated weather forecast?

I tried to do some neat camera trickery to spice up the usual static webms

wet gravel tires should last enough through Myherin and will provide a bit more grip on Hafren than dry gravel tires, at least until they wear down too much

This thread reminded me I bought rally championship and never played it
Now do I play it or not

list of things project cars 2 simulates that other racing simulators dont:

Very spicey indeed. My spinout looks very impressive from this angle.