/agdg/ - Amateur Game Development General

final hours before demoday begins
is your game ready?

> Next Demo Day 15 (LIKE ALMOST RIGHT NOW MY DUDE)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-15

> Play Monster Jam
itch.io/jam/agdg-monster-jam

> Play Demo Day 14
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-14

> Helpful links
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Steam Games: www.homph.com/steam
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

Previous Thread: Previous Demo Days: pastebin.com/JqsQerui
Previous Jams: pastebin.com/jAByvH3V

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org
UE4: unrealengine.com
Unity: unity3d.com

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
freemusicarchive.org
incompetech.com/music
fantasymusica.org

> How to Webm
obsproject.com
nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/geforce-experience/shadowplay
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter
github.com/thetarkus/WebMCam

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ge6EQHR3Xrg
bintray.com/calinou/godot/editor/2017-06-29.2e52fa7#files
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

ARISE CHICKEN

make your game, I believe in you

3rd for googum

I hope the streamers won't skip it this demo day

nth for killing myself

Throw your demos this way!

Are there any enginedevs left or are we all dead

I'd like to make a roguelite game, I have some basic ideas for it typed out, but not a clue how to start anything.
Any anons got some ideas as to where to start?
What engine would be good to use as a complete beginner?
Unity vs Unreal? Either of those VS something else?

don't make your dream game
make pong
then make slightly more complex pong
etc

Keep it in your pants, we've still got five hours.

fight knight was the straw that broke the camel's back
enginedev is no more

Here's one of your kind:

googum, what has been your biggest hit in terms of money and how much did you make?

Why are you not participating in the most important jam of our generation?

Nice.

>How to make gif
every time

That's a lot of joins.

that one guy making the space metroid game is the last one i think, but you cant even tell its engine dev, so what's the point? someone can make his game in GameMaker easily

youtube.com/watch?v=Ge6EQHR3Xrg

REEEEEEEEEEEE WHY IT DOESNT COME OUT FASTER

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe

The game was seriously a good lesson in game design. That scene with peach taking a shower was truely breathtaking and showed what a true a RPG can be.

To this day, no RPG has ever even competed with this work of art.

can you be quiet please i am trying to sleep thank you

>thinking godot 3 is going to magically make your game good

Compile the alpha or help the development. Posting frogs gets you nowhere.

Neither does posting about frog posting not being a good post.

In fact there's no post here that helps anybody, ever.

You can download nightly builds if you are feeling brave.
bintray.com/calinou/godot/editor/2017-06-29.2e52fa7#files

How was your day sunshine?

Fucking snowflake lefties mang. Stay strong.

That was like 6 month ago user, are you that triggered?

It was shit, but that's nothing new.

unity > godot 3.

Sneaking in some progress before demo day swallows everything up.
I won't have one this time, but 16 for sure.

>ongoing for 4 years
This is the first time I've seen it.

Demon Engine was the new name, right?

You think this Godot3 shit has a chance in hell at competing with Unity, THE Unity™?

You're out of your league, godot

JRPG
Get to change the names of the characters (who have set names) or lock the default names. I can see the appeal in both but which do you prefer and why.

Close, Devil Engine.
The itch.io and everything is updated but I don't have an uncompiled backup of the old demo to change the logo out.

>dedicated 2D engine
>lightweight
>open source
wow, godot wins.

I think Engine being the bigger word in the logo is kinda weird, it looks like a game engine rather than a game.

Default, naming characters isn't fun or enjoyable unless you're 8 years and name everybody poop.

>embraces OOP

Either way, I like the name, keep it up!

Default names, because personalized names are stupid if the game has a main story in which you are the protag.

Anyone who prefers the latter is a badwrongfun faggot because nothing is stopping them from leaving the default names in if they don't want them changed.

Case in point

>Functionality is not implemented yet, but you can it in the Asset store for a small fee
>Multiplayer? You can get it working for a small monthly fee
>We are proud to announce that Collaborate is out of beta. It's also now part of Unity Team, that you can get started for a small monthly fee

Unity jewness intensifies.

I don't know why so many open source projects have trash documentation. Especially ones that seem to be designed for others to use.

In anticipation for Godot 3.0, how do I become good at 3D modeling?
Is there a recommended list of things I should model as practice?

I name the main character but leave the rest of the part as their default names

I guess you could say I'm an Engine dev.
I'll see myself out

Thanks user!

So what do you name your characters user?

It's not that trash, they actually put a lot of effort into the user experience unlike most FOSS projects.

forgot i had an image for this

SIT, currently >10k
and post-ironically the shortest devtime for a game ive ever released

>embracess OOP vs biggest user base
who was dumb enough to think up that question when the answer is right there in black and white

I leave them default, I just see no reason to remove the option from the people that enjoy it.

Lads can you rec me some turn based game with different/experimental combat? I'm trying to do some research, but so far everything I tried is pretty cookie-cutter.

what turn based games do you like?

nothing personnel, kids

>different/experimental combat
?

that new game from the FTL dev

The prompt was annoying even in FF. It's a fucking story, the characters are named. Do you replace names in a book for your preferred names?

Reminder to include rebindable keys!

Not for DD15, sorry.

i just want displacement mapping+tessellation to become feasible for realtime rendering so we can do away with polygon counting fuckery.

I can't imagine how huge a bitch you'd have to be in order to be annoyed by a naming prompt. Your false equivalency is great, too. I have no control over anything that happens in a story; I have control over what happens in a game. If someone wants to make an all Black Belt party and name their characters after Fist of the North Star, more power to them because there's no reason for me to be offended by that.

I'll copy over my fancy key rebinding menu someday
not today tho

nah, I'll force you to use the terrible controls I selected.

more texture stuff
thinking about adding z axis movement. my thought process is that it'll push the adventure aspect and give agency to the players, although visually it'll be less tight

just make everything that you can see from where you're sitting, starting with the closest object

But I have a non-QWERTY layout. You could end up playing right into my hands!

Yeah, good for them. It's a one out of a million person who bothers with that shit.

Tuck it away in a menu for the autistic cunt who wants to name all the girls after his waifus. Barely anybody actually does that though.

If I had to pick top 3
Fallout 1/2--Heroes 3---XCOM old and new
but I played pretty much everything from obscure JRPGS to already mentioned mainstream turn based stuff like XCOM.

other person mentioned FTL creators and I think that FTL would be a good example of different game, not really turn based tho.

practice

only with console commands

lel you're definitely a badwrongfun faggot

I'm talking about the new turn-based game the FTL dev is doing.

Ok then, have your "game" with many so option menus that it might as well be a text editor.

I'm sure your 3 users will enjoy it.

>Heroes 3
My man.

Worms
Blood Bowl
Halcyon 6 is literally advertised as FTL+FF

Saw it man, I'm looking into it. More rec are always welcome.

whoa I hadn't heard about this, it looks pretty good. I'm always on the lookout for Advance Wars / FFT stuff.

How the heck do I even set realistic deadlines? I have zero idea of how long it takes to finish a game or learn a new skill.

Then don't.

But I want to.

Set a deadline and learn all about the pleasure of having to cancel half your game to meet it.

Sounds like a good motivation to procrastinate less.

The hardest part is that no boss is going to yell at you for failing to meet it. Future-You has no accountability with Past-You, unfortunately. And the more you practice forgiving yourself for slacking, the more you'll find it acceptable. So once you have more clear ideas of realistic deadlines, then do not disrespect your own goals and timeframes.
But for starting with no idea, just set something. If you fail the deadline, take an honest look at whether the deadline was unrealistic or if you slacked. Pick something that you think might take a week, and give yourself a week, then assess how that week went and if you failed, whether it was slack vs unrealistic.

do u guys use outline or not in pixel arts??
i feel like it looks much better without outline,
but with outline, it will have a clearer image and stand out more.

or it doesn't matter at all?

No outline is harder but can look better if you manage to isolate the characters from the background with good sense of colors and brightness.

depends a lot on the background and the contrast

There are other ways to make things stand out. Also god that fucking shit on the bottom left, what the fuck, erase it please. The other three look great though. The vehicle is better without outline. Not sure if it's your work but if it isn't oh well.

you can do half outlines

Really depends on your environment. Most of the time +outline is preferable though for readability. -outline works great for non-interactables/background.

First come up with a detailed list of tasks and throw down a rough estimate. Put your list here and we'll comment/critique it.

One thing to keep in mind is scope creep. For your first game, a finished game is more important than continually adding features or make your game 'perfect'.

i ratter put subtle swasticas in my game that nobody will notice.but will trigger people non the less

the problem with godot is shit documentation. it's like these devs don't want anyone using their engines or something.

Guys, I have a confession to make. My game? It's a furry game. And I'm pretty sure you're all furries, so you'll lap it up.

I like both of those. do both!

Something About Love did well every DD so yeah pretty much.

Did somebody say HM/AC hybrid?

Noticed some issues with the model after I recorded the gif,

Also going to redo the trunk texture completely eventually

thanks for making me aware that "lap it up" is now an unescapably furry phrase that i should never use again