Best car of the 50s

Best car of the 50s

>hardmode: no imports
>extreme mode: no C1 Corvette or tri-five Chevy

Glasstop Ford Crown Victoria I'd suck 50 miles of black cocks for a mint copy.

Real hard mode would be no 59 Cadillac El Dorado 58 Impala SS or other fin era cars

>Nightmare mode: No 51' Mercury Coupe

>Oldsmobile not mentioned

'57 olds f-88 mark II

R O C K E T V 8

Nothing but normie responses so far.

Behold the 1958 Chrysler 300. Previous gen was the first American production car to make over 300hp. This one has the 392 Hemi, dual 4 barrel carbs, and set a 156mph speed record.

>skipping the glorious Futuramic body of the early 50s

Nice DeSoto, Sam, where's your rabbit-thing buddy?

>late 50s Chrysler
Enjoy your build “””””””””””””””””quality”””””””””””””””””

Every 50's car was a rust bucket. No one had magic steel or paint. The bodies changed every single year which made quality rushed for all brands.

The 1957-59 Chryslers were the cars that killed ChryCo's reputation for quality once and for all. They were, by far, the most poorly-built cars of the decade.

The 57-59 Chrysler's were by far the worst offenders though. The were considered bad even for the 50s. They literally ruined what had been Chrysler's stellar reputation for reliability

Bump

Extreme mode in this motherfucker.

Ford is best girl

1958 Chevy Impala Convertible

>First gen Impala
>One year only body style

As much as I love some of their cars, to this day I still feel like the name "Oldsmobile" is something that should have never left the boardroom and ended in someone being let go. Where did such a shitty name come from?

If you actually cared you would take the 10 seconds to google it and learn about the company

God, user, I don't know. It couldn't have been named after the founder of the company, like so many other automotive manufacturers. Clearly a bunch of suit-and-tie wearing board members back in the late 1800s decided to name it Olds Motor Works, despite 'old' at that time being seen as something worth noting, that a thing had even survived long enough to be 'old.'

The only people who have an issue with the name 'Oldsmobile' are the ones born after their last failed marketing attempt, the Not Your Father's Oldsmobile campaign, up to the current day including people who were born after their closure in '04 (terrifying thought: those 13 year old kids will be posting on Veeky Forums soon enough if not already). To everyone else, it was just another name.

>ctrl+f
>Studebaker
>0 results
> go through thread
>near unanimous shit taste
God Veeky Forums why

the only shit taste in this thread is [spoiler]the chrysler 300

You couldn’t be more wrong

shit, forgot spoilers aren't a thing on Veeky Forums, the halloween theme has been making me forget what board i'm on for the past two days

Obviously the wrong one friendo

It’s literally the founders name with -mobile stuck on. Oldsmobile’s were literally the young professionals car through the sixties. Owning an Oldsmobile meant you arrived.

Gotta post the most famous horror car

1956 Imperial or a 1956 Chrysler 300B

Fine taste

Either Edsel or Nash Metropolitan, take your pick

This, tfw no glimmer of hope of ever owning a studebaker starlight

this opinion is the correct opinion

Studebakers are fucking ugly mayne

even overshadows the whole fins and chrome awfulness of the 50s

Studebaker was on point, Commander Cody really captured my heart when I was younger. Love 'em.

D A G M A R S

best car of the 50s

not posting the superior caddy

Prove me wrong.

Protip: you can't

Literally drivable vagina

I unironically love the Edsel style

a car known as being a complete failure

overpriced
over marketed
ugly

So much American shit in this thread

Here have some more

Man, 58/59 Oldses do not look very nice compared to the previous years at all.

I know right?
Weird things were happening in the late 50's

probably because hard mode is no imports

if you start posting foreign it gets easy

everyone knows the huge chrome burger barges are awful

>early 50's: still growing out of the Futuramic Forties
>mid 50's: make it boxy
>56: make it swoopy
>57: give it wings
>58: make the wings bigger
>59: I said make them BIGGER
>60: oh god we've cocked it all up let's go back to boxy and never talk about this again

Forgot pic
When I went to classic car shows as a kid I'd see late 50's cars and was a bit turned off
40's designs were very nice imo and seeing that rub off on the early 50's cars makes me all giddy

1957 Ford Thunderbird.

At least it's prettier than a Chevy.

There's a couple good hitters of the late 50's, but I don't find them very appealing at all and I don't know if it's just overexposure turning me off from them (like tri-five Chevrolets) or if they're actually ugly. I like some weird designs, and by all means the 58/59 years introducing quad headlights and bigger fins and so on should make them really appealing to someone who likes those types of things, but for the most part they're just ehhh.

is right though that the postwar cars of the late 40's through early 50's are just fantastic.

Honestly it's one of those things where if it's done in moderation it's fine
It's just that for (seemingly) most cars that held that style did it in absurd proportions and it just doesn't look right

I like the Cadillac coupes and convertibles like the Series 62. Particularly before the mid-'50s when they still had that pre-war look to them before they became boomer mobiles.

Honorable mentions:
> '52 Cunningham C4-R
> '58 Plymouth Fury
> '53 Cunningham C3
> '53 Porsche 550
> '55 Porsche 356A
> '54 Jaguar D-Type

Easy, 1956 buick special

back to please

>hardmode: no imports
Impossible mode

"Import" is a relative term of which OP did not clarify which means pretty much anything from the '50s is fair game.

>probably because hard mode is no imports
But American cars are import.

Any love for 1950 Nash?
Probably one of the most unique designs you'll see

>Any love for 1950 Nash?

No. Their auction prices has plummeted as the boomers that would want them are dying off.

The only acceptable answer in this thread.

This car is probably the best Lincoln ever made. Every car was meticulously hand-built to great expense (Lincoln lost money on every car they sold, and these cars were the most expensive you could buy in its day), the build quality was very high in an era where cars were increasingly thought of as disposable toys, the styling was actually tasteful rather than gaudy like most other cars of that decade, and just owning one was a huge privelege, that car was in the same kind of class that high-end German luxury cars occupy today.

And sadly its the biggest symbol of how far the American Luxury car market has fallen since.

>post war yuropoors being able to afford American cars

Fun fact, in my country ALL cars were import

Stephen King pls go

>>hardmode: no imports
>TFW only 1 to chose from

That's a '59; the '58 Fury was the titular car in Christine.

In that vein, one of my favorite cars is the 1960 Fury; but they rusted so badly that I've never pursued one. The fact that there's nothing available aftermarket doesn't help, either.

Couple years too late, IIRC the car on the cover of Buick 8 (and ostensibly what the 'car' in the novel itself is modeled after' is a '53, that being the first year with a V8.

This guy gets it

>tfw you will never own a Thunderbird

What style does Edsel have, except for this hideous opening in the front?

Fuck hard mode
GAZ fucking Chaika

Only if you live in an irrelevant shithole.

>Buick
Why would they make cars, whose front end looks like nightmarish monster about to devour your living soul? Was it to intimidate other drivers? Shit, if I've seen that in my mirror, while driving on a remote forest road, I'd crap my pants.

>literally a packard clone
But yes, this is a nice car.

>clone
>USSR
NEVER

1958 Porsche 356 1500 GS Carrera
„Gran Turismo“

Because it's fucking awesome. Chevy got sideways grilles with embedded logos, Olds got gaping fish-mouth grilles once they left the two-bar split ones, Pontiac was a mishmash and Buick will EAT YOUR SOULLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.

>those chrome teeth
Why was it considered good at the time? >Honey, look at my new car's grille, isn't it cool?
>Yes, we must anoint it with the blood of innocents for the glory of Satan!

It was a different era, where men were women, women were kitchen accessories, and children beyond the second son were legally bound to Old Nick.

>not sacrificing a small creature to please the automotive gods when buying a new car

It's covered inside and out with penises and vaginas

best boat incoming

Best german aesthetic coming through

>one dent
>whole body is fucked
oops

Don't talk shit about huge chrome burger barges

whatchu gonna do about it

they big ugly slow and inefficient

>he doesn't want to drive a battleship
weak

big cars are shit to drive

I've wanted one since I was a kid. I'd prefer a replica honestly, because I WILL go 200+ MPH in one.

>Wanting to drive a hot wheels car

Really? Huh....imagine that....

I'm not gonna do anything you just hurt my feelings is all

Overstyled and gaudy.