Opinions on a weird heirloom?

Aus user here.
(All information I have about this is second hand from family.)
Recently discovered my now deceased father bought a prototype promotional Ralliart spec Magna (diamante) 15 years ago, and had since kept it drained and wrapped in storage in another state. They only made 500 of the regular Ralliart ones, but this one is meant to be 'special' because it's yellow and the seats are different or some shit.
They retailed for 50+k new, and have gone so downhill since. A good one is only about 5k second hand now, but would this be worth much more than those because it's essentially new?
I'm planning a trip to go and check it out, maybe if it is actually still pristine I'll suggest we (family) just sit on it for a while I guess?

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/QD4MxB
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

All the plastic and shit is gonna have deteriorated. It's still gonna need someone to go over it.
>Selling a prized possession of your father

Cool situation, shame the cars are such piles. You'll have the nicest Magna ever made, which is worth about as much as you'd expect, sweet FA. The only person this kind of car appeals to is a collector and i wouldn't get your hopes up about a mitsu enthusiast wanting to buy one of those POS. It's a shithouse car with an extra 10-15% power, wrong wheel drive, some ricer trash body kit and a horrible public opinion. You might be able to flog it to a P plater for 6-8k or so? It's never going to be worth much more than that and it'll cost a lot to keep.

It's not even the best magna, i'd probably just get on a mitsubishi forum and try and find a weirdo to sell it to for a bottom dollar price. Not worth wasting your time keeping maintaining or attempting to get it moving.

His prized possession he never used or checked up on. I think he was hoping they'd be the next Evo or something.

I didn't know they were even a thing until a few days ago. Now I see why. The gist of the reviews I've read said they were torque-steer heavy shitboxes because Mitsubishi thought they could make something to rival the Australian sedan market.

Good idea, thanks.
What was the best Magna? An awd?

Nothing depreciated faster in 'straya than the base models of these. Adding a bit of plastic and an evo spoiler can't save a shit fwd.

>They retailed for 50+k new

Jesus Christ what the fuck was Mitsubishi thinking

>Give it a body kit.
>Put a different badge on.
>Charge twice as much as a standard.

This. It might be worth something if there wasn't literally thousands of rare Fords and Holdens to compete with that are a million times more collectible. I'm actually impressed they managed to sell them when they were competing against vastly more powerful V8s and turbo sixes.

definitely the latest model AWD v6, but even then, not a great car.

It might be worth something someday, as its a rear collectible. If possible keep it for a while longer, seeing as you`re in `straya you might as well because at least it wont rot away, just keep it out of the sun for too long.

As far as I know, it's been drained and wrapped or boxed in one of my fathers factories since he's had it.
Not sure if 15 years of being idle would've fucked it or not.
From what I've read, the clearcoat was a massive issue on most of these cars.

Production wise, yeah. But still not as good as the rwd v8 one.

i honestly wonder where all of these badass holdens and fords were during the 90s when japan took the american auto industry and bent it over

Meanwhile I'm wondering why I'm not allowed to import certain versions of Jap cars in one piece to 'straya.

Don't quote me but I think oz emission regulations or something mean they're not allowed to be registered.
Therefore, cut it into two halves and you have 'car parts'which are allowed.

Fuarkin AU3 T3 TE50/TS50 with full options like double wishbone IRS, 4 pot Brembos, sunroof, Tickford 5.6 Stroker, T5 manual

You got me juicy now man but I'll never be able to afford one of those things.

Also HRT427 rapes everything

If it hasn't been turned over in 15 years, it's gonna be fucked. I can't even get my shitbox commodore 5ltr running after a year on blocks

Yeah for a good condition T3 TS50 you are probably looking at $50k+. There is also the super rare Fairlane based TL50 from memory only 4 were built

I think you mean 80s. The 90s and 2000s was a renaissance for the US auto industry thanks to a booming US economy, low oil prices, NAFTA and the profitable pickup truck and SUVs. Nothing of value came out of Japan after 2002.

Surely if I bleed anything left in it, clean some lines out or new injectors if they're cloggy or whatever, I reckon she'll kick over.

all your seals will be fucked for sure mate

>find a weirdo to sell it to
That could be me.
Whereabouts is it? I'll make an offer.

Guaranteed? Does that mean hoses would be shithouse too?

Qld

Contrary to what all the other ill informed faggots think, the Ralliart Magna was an exceptionally good performance sedan. Even if it was "wrong wheel drive", it still ran rings around the GM or Ford equivalents in the day, mainly due to a bespoke LSD. Biggest problem is however said LSD is irreplaceable should something go wrong. The 180ish kW V6 was alright for an atmo 6.
Only real downside of these V6 powered Mitsubishis is they wear valve stem seals prematurely, although they're not the end of the world to replace and are otherwise a solid engine. Oh, and they're completely undesirable on the used market so they're worthless as pointed out. The fact it's one of the Yellow ones with low kms may equate to a 5 figure sum? IF you find the right buyer.
The AWD Magnas were alright, but only ever auto. Manual's an easy enough swap and the fact it's a rare enough platform may make an AWD VR-X marginally more desirable? But even then I'm talking maybe a $5-6k car against an equivalent condition $3k FWD model. Good platform if you wanted to build a force fed 6G7x.
Can guarantee almost every oil retaining seal would've hardened unless it was never started. And clearcoat was pretty crap unless you waxed it religiously every 6 months and kept it under cover.
In short, to protect the domestic market. If you look up the RAWS laws in importing anything after 1989, it basically disqualifies anything that was otherwise available here. There was talks about a year ago of abolishing these import laws without a local manufacturing industry to protect, but I'd imagine this'd be a hard sell to the vehicle makes currently selling their vehicles locally.
Nah, there was more than 4. Although I have a feeling the TL50 was only introduced for the series 3 model run. Happy to be corrected on that.

Where's the fucking wrapped diamante pics op u giant cuckaroo

Good read ausnon have a invite discord.gg/QD4MxB

if its 4wd it mite be decent

All of this.^
Owner of a 'wrong wheel drive' 3.8l na manual Tl gtvi Verada.
They're a great car provided you didn't pay for one new.

There's a few rumors about the yellow Ralliart Magnas, none of which have been confirmed by anyone. The first is there were four of them, one being the showcar with a big fuck off Ralliart decal on the passenger side and the remainders going exclusively to Mitsubishi Execs.
Alternately, there was only one and it was destroyed. Which doesn't really make sense due to there being a harlequin paintjob sports station wagon build that was doing the same rounds as the fabled yellow one and was sold later as a 1/1.
Also heard that an Asian dude bought it.

When you uncover what it actually is, please report back with the build plate number on the front under the bonnet next to your left radiator support, because there's already a 001 accounted for.
You'll find someone willing to pay 20k for it if you've got next to no k's on it.

>a falcunt post
how's postie's cock taste?

The hoses will be the least of your issues

>all these fucking stupid replies
you idiots need to do some research on what vintage new cars sell for

too bad op's dad incorrectly guessed what would be a future classic - but I'm sure there are enthusiasts to be found

>I think he was hoping they'd be the next Evo or something.
Why do boomers buy brand new cars and store them for decades? I know a dude who has a miata with like 1000 miles on it stored in his garage

Damn, that thing is gonna be worth some money one day.

>Super popular shitbox, gets molested af by everyone
>All the non-molested ones dry out out of the market
>

>50k ralliart magna
did he die of stupidity?

Realistically they were reasonably priced compared to an SS or XR6T/XR8 with what ever handling and braking options applicable, even though they lacked the outright straightline speed.
Agreed. It's not particularly a wise investment unless you're lucky enough to pick the few examples that start appreciating as soon as they're sold out. I think "investment" is more a thinly disguised excuse for simply wanting to buy and own a neat car.

but magnas aren't good at handling either are they?

Yeah it hits that sweet spot of "popular enough that everyone knows about them" but also enough of a cheap shitbox that nobody ever thought about hoarding them while they were cheap

Boomers are retarded

Cheap cars are usually cheap for a reason

DON'T FUCKING SELL IT. NEVER SELL IT. EVER.
FUCKING KEEP THAT SHIT FOR YEARS.

They're actually a pretty good handler, even for a wrong wheel drive. They handled better than the equivalent AU or VT (even the IRS models, although that still wasn't saying much), and with the LSD in the RalliArt it was leagues ahead again.
At the time everyone was a little disappointed Mitsubishi didn't make it an AWD model, but that disappointment was quickly quashed when the journos testing them revealed they not only went around a corner very quickly, but was very adjustable and throttle responsive mid corner.
The only knuckle draggers that claim these thing were understeering pigs have either never driven one, or tried to drive it like a rear wheel drive and came off disappointed it wasn't a drift car.

I'll also add to that, the Magna wagons handled crap, much due to their beam axle rear design. Much the same way Falcon wagons handled like compared to their already lacklustre sedan. At least Holden was sensible enough to base their wagon closer to their sedan instead of their ute.

After all the tl,dr; I'd keep it.
They're not worth anything to sell these days, and while I'd like to think they will slowly increase in the future, even if they don't, it won't depreciate.
As long as you can keep it parked where it is without any cost, and I imagine it's not registered either so that wouldn't cost anything.
The only real shame here is its value is it its literal showroom condition and mileage, which means you can't enjoy it for the driver's car it is.

Who?

Oh that gayass from sa would not know why don't u tell me

At least have a drive of it first, magnas weren't too bad

It's probably a decent rebuild before he can drive it, and as soon as it does get driven what little value it has goes down.

Nah, he went an hero.

And I wouldn't be surprised if he pissed away far more than 50 securing it.
Silly chinese businessmen, yeah?

I remember seeing pic related being resold for $100k+ for what essentially a GT with stripes and badges..

I desperately want to know the mentality of someone during the time of 300kw Monaros, resurgent COBRA R powered FPV GTs, XR6 Turbos and even bloody supercharged V6 Commodores decides a slightly warmed Magna is the car to get

For a start, the 300kW Callaway HSVs were near $90k, the turbo XR6 and the mishmash of Cobra headed Triton V8s passed off as a "Boss" in the XR8 had either pace or sound going for them with an otherwise crap handling platform, and the supercharged V6 Holdens were not only less powerful, but slower and also auto only. The Magna was aimed more at drivers who might spectate ARC rounds instead of the V8 supercar crowd who feel traffic light acceleration is what makes a supreme road car.

Forgot to add,
What I desperately want to know is who thought an Evo 6 inspired bodykit on a Magna was a good idea?

I don't mind them, there are much worse bodykits on Magnas out there.

it's not the greatest is it.
I think something like a galant vr-4-esque body kit would've been better.
it is definitely a unique look though.

Just a VR-X esque bodykit would've sufficed IMO. Regardless I'd happily look past the horrendous bodykit for an otherwise accessible and respectable performance sedan, but I'd probably at least remove the boot spoiler if I had one...

>buy brand new car in the hopes it will go up in value so you can sell it
>"i cant sell it yet its not worth enough!"
>they die before it becomes valuable (if it ever does)

AND THEN WATCH IT NEVER GET APPRECIATED AND EVENTUALLY RUST AWAY OR GET SCRAPPED WHEN OP KICKS THE BUCKET.

At the end of the day you can't go past V8/turbo-six and RWD. Mitsi should have at least slapped a supercharger on the thing considering a bog stock Falcon six already produced 182kw

Nah, chucking in the RalliArt Mivec 3.5 from the Pajero Evo was a good move IMO, just made it a little more exclusive. They already had an in-house fitted supercharger option for the VR-X anyway, but the character of that engine wouldn't have suited the RalliArt, and dare I say it, would've made it the torque steering pig people presume them to be. While the then new twin cam Fords were 182kW, they developed that power I'm an incredibly uninspiring way.

Smart money at the time was always going to be the Monaro. A unique body at a reasonable price thanks to being a regular production model.

>RalliArt Mivec 3.5
Wasn't Mivec.
>in-house fitted supercharger option for the VR-X
...No, there wasn't. Maybe you're thinking about the run of 20 380's that came supercharged?

Ah, you're right, I had my wires crossed.
I still stand by the statement that the lack of forced induction was a good thing for the RalliArt.

Agreed, but anything fwd with more than four cylinders will start having torque steer if you treat it like a track car. The RA Magna's could've been awd and it wouldn't have been a problem, but the awd versions hadn't been engineered until afterwards, and converting them is a bitch.
The 6g7+'S are reasonably safe until 7psi, but if Mitsubishi had forced them, the extra costs in forging might've made them harder to sell.