Sqt stupid question thread

sqt stupid question thread?

Hey Veeky Forums I'm a tourist from /g/ and didn't find a thread for this so I'm making one with a question.

I know this is some kind of amortization for the transmission cable, but don't know what's it called (English not being my native tongue)

and I'd like to know whether it can be found online.

It's for a 1994 Ford Fiesta MK3 1.8 Diesel.
Pic related, I'm pointing at it.

Other urls found in this thread:

manuals.co/workshop/ford/fiesta/ford-fiesta-1995-service-and-repair-manual/3383
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

kick-down linkage

Temperatures have been going down in my area. Every morning during a cold start as I am reversing and turning left, I hear and feel a loud pop coming from the passenger side front wheel well. What could it be?

how do I identify chassis-killing rust?
my uncle has an old S13 that I wanted to buy and fix up, but it's been sitting around for ages and I'd like to make sure it's not going to snap in half when I take it out for a spin

If you see a lot of rust, you probably have it.

Check under the car, check the side sills, wheel wells and especially where the chassis mounts to any frame work.

If there's holes around like the trailing arm mount points you'll be in for a ride.

If a car is missing a battery, I should still be able to start it by boosting the leads with a running car, right? It doesn't matter if it dies after I disconnect them, I just need to see if a car runs at all.

cv joint?

It's called the gentoo linkage, you'll have to install it again.

This, also tapping a rust spot with a hammer will give you a rough idea of how bad it is.

What kind of car should I get if I don't drive very often? I'm only planning to drive to my parent's like once every month, and to various friends houses every now and again. And that's only like an hour and a half drive. Should I get something fun? I was thinking an old used MR2.

Your thread has assaulted our board culture. There are no stupid questions here. Watch your baoard expect us dork

Should've mentioned transmission's manual? Is that a factor?

I'm looking for an OBD-II scanner. Does Veeky Forums have a recommendation jpeg, and if not, what scanner do you guys use?

Get the cheapest one on ebay that works with your phone.

I saw this pure black mercedes 2007 sl350 (r230) yesterday and i fell in love with it lads.
I dont really like mid 2000 mercedes because they try to look modern but are ancient in and out. And non amg engines are always super fucking weak.
This one however looks damn good i forget about engine and shit.
It has an amg body kit and huge niggerish black 20" wheels but it fits.
Also showed it to some girls and it seems like a potential virginity breaker.

Hows the relability? My brother works at mercedes so oil changes are free and replacing shit will obviously be cheaper.

I actually wanted to go for an 2018 mustang but depending on relability (no matter the cheap costs, i still dont want to deal with problems) and stuff i might bite.

When timing an engine, does it matter which point the rotor on the distributor is on, as long as that's the one you hook up to cylinder 1 and you go in the correct firing order? Bumped the starter by accident on my truck with the distributor out so now I gotta re-time the engine.

So I don't need something expensive? I've just heard stories that if you go too cheap on a scanner, they can actually create faults that can't be fixed unless you buy a better scanner.

I know next to nothing about cars so be nice.

I drive my car probably a maximum of twice a week for about half an hour max. Is this increasing my chances of a flat battery?

My retarded friend who knows nothing of automobiles inherited among other things, a heated 2-bay garage with a lift on a main highway in bfe. He's had his own vehicles in there but has never opened for business (I should clarify here that he had someone else put a lift on his truck, him and the "mechanic" didn't do it themselves). He knows he wants to open for business and wants me to be a partner.

I don't want to work on cars for money, I do all the work to my own and my projects but have no formal auto training except for a body class in college about 8 years ago. Working on cars is fun for me right now and I don't want that to change. I own a computer business that I'm committed to working at 5 days a week that makes great money, but I wouldn't mind some diversification. He understands this and is fine with it. My main short-term job would be to get this place cleaned up and painted, apply for a business license in that county (it's about 40 min away from my place), and stock it. Besides oil, filters, plugs, wires, a computer, and some basic oilchange hand tools, what else would I need to get? I figured we'd start with oil changes, air filters, and plugs/wires, maybe some batteries thrown in.

How hard is it to educate someone on basic maintenance? We have a welder/"mechanic" but he doesn't seem too bright and I really just think he's on drugs. Not someone who I'd want working for me when there's possibility of a lawsuit for shit being not done right.

I have a login for alldata, but is there anything else I'll need besides basic receipt printing software? Where can I learn about setting up a service shop?

Pic not related, a project I'm working on

My car is barely less than half a ton, and I doubt I'll need to go under it often.

Bottle, trolley or floor jack?

OP, get an owner's manual for your car. And then look in the engine/drivetrain section for that part.

That's my quick advice since I believe you're not going to get an answer soon.

Look, I found a link. The search function is useless, though. You have to guess or go one by one.

manuals.co/workshop/ford/fiesta/ford-fiesta-1995-service-and-repair-manual/3383

Just get a cheap trolley jack, but make sure the min retracted height is less than the lowest jacking point on your car.

It depends on the car. I've known Mazda 6's to be pretty harsh on batteries if left for a week, sometimes a battery every year for them isn't unheard of.

If it cranks strongly when you use it, don't worry about it.

Oh and for christs sakes get jack stands. Do not get under a car without two.

Yeah, I'll make sure of that. While we're on the subject, are unijacks acceptable, or nah?

Are at-home air compressors worth it, or should I just continue using gas station compressors?

What does "blown engine" mean? Is it using forced induction or what?

I'm working on a 2005 F650 with a Powerstroke and a manual. it will pop into gear just fine, but I have to yank that cunt out of gear. it doesn't grind going into gear from a stop, but it does grind if you managed to yank it out of gear while moving and try to shift, but I'm sure that's just because I was granny shifting rather than double clutching like I should to get it into the shop.
I'm going to check the tranny oil, but other than that what are some possible reasons it doesn't like to come out of gear?

just go to home Depot and get a $20 12v inflator. gas station air won't help in the middle of nowhere.

blown = supercharged with a roots (aka blower)
blown = destroyed and non functional engine

>blown = supercharged with a roots (aka blower)
This is what i was talking about. Thanks senpai.

What are the different styles of decals?

So far I've picked up these terms from online vendors, but many don't appear to be standardized.

Strobe Stripes
Stripes
Splash
Sail
Boomerang
Feather
Lightning
Squiggles
Sickle