Why is this not the norm?

Why is this not the norm?

In this day and age with people that can barely control their cars, it pretty much is.

green transmissions are gay

I don't understand what is trying to be said here.

Is this picture attempting to depict that most FWD cars are front mid-engined and FWD cars should be front engined? Or is it the other way around?

If it is the former, then that is fucking stupid.

not really needed
a few cars I can recall having centred gearboxes
Datsun 100A - gearbox under engine
Morris mini - gearbox in sump - shares oil with engine
SAAB 900 - longitudinal - gearbox under engine
Honda Ascot CE - like Audi or Subaru

and at least with older cars the clutch cable can be shorter if the gearbox is on the same side as the driver

Because an engine weighs more than a transmission in FWD cars and putting the engine ahead of the front axle is pants on head retarded

Does the red transmission help you go faster?

>Why is this not the norm?
because ff is shit and FR is clearly superior.

Why isn't this the norm?

This

>Morris mini - gearbox in sump - shares oil with engine

What a retarded design holy shit.

>British Leyland

>retarded design holy shit
oil kept getting on the clutch so later versions have a baffle added between the clutch housing and sump

and it gets better
when they flipped the engine over to put the carburettor at the back to avoid icing they exposed the distributor to water
this also necessitated an idler gear before the lay shaft something like 15% efficiency loss

The point is to have a FWD transverse engine sit behind the front axle, and not in front

pwapppp

DUh ofc

That looks really nice

The Lamborghini Miura shared the same oil for the engine and the gearbox until the SV.

Why arent we putting the heaviest part as far away from the centre of gravity as possible? Hmmmmmm

> what are motorcycles

FR is shit. less weight over driven wheels, bad space efficiency, more drivetrain losses, large moment of inertia.

Why isn't THIS the norm?

What, longitudinal FWD?

Mid engine, longitudinal FWD

Chrysler did that, the LH platform cars were longitudinal FWD, kinda helped with torque steer, but still needs a LSD

>not routing the intake directly into the crankcase for blowby forced induction

classic British

why are car manufacturers so afraid to make anything FR that isn't a truck or a muscle car anymore?
it's worked fucking fine up until 10 years ago, I don't get the change

FF based designs are more ergonomically friendly compared to FR, so packing as many people and crap in is the main priority in design

I guess since there's no tranny tunnel (which really doesn't take up much room) and the given low ride height since no pinion angles to worry about, you can just make it one retarded warehouse-tier box.
how fucking depressing, just cranking out useless shitboxes with no character.

>less weight over driven wheels
Retard or good troll, you decide

having the engine behind the axle wouldn't give you much benefit and would shift the firewall back into the cabin.
instead of having more space in the cab you would have an unused void above the axle

Pretty much, when all or most of the drivetrain is contained under the hood it leaves more liberty for the design, FF platforms are popular because no matter what class of vehicle you talk about FF is more efficient when it comes to space and is marketed successfully as safer vs FR which is viewed as sports cars and high speed and crashing and overall negative perception because normies, also the FF platforms are more cost efficient than RWD

Are you retarded? Sitting an inline 4 right behind the front axle wouldn't require pushing the firewall back, most Japanese I-4 cars that are worth a shit (Honda, Mazda, Toyota) are this way

>normies fail to recognize that literally every normal domestic car was FR pre-recession
jesus christ

because the engineers that designed it are smarter than you

People born before '95 had the privilege of probably having parents that owned at least one rwd sedan/wagon and probably grew up driving it to get their license, these people are not the target audience
The target audience is younger and more than likely grew up in a household that only drove front wheel drive so they didn't care about driving

Snow handling.

t. retard

alternatively: learn how to fucking drive
eh, true. fucking depressing man.

Nice Cavalier

patrician layout coming through

Please be rear steer

Mid engine rwd is objectively the best layout. Prove me wrong, faggots.

Literally because it's cheaper to manufacture

understeer is much more controllable than oversteer
if stacy mcfuckwit gives it too much gas in a corner in a FWD car, she's just going to turn a bit more slowly than she expected, and would probably stomp on the brakes as a result, shifting weight back to the front wheels and bringing the car back in line
if she does the same thing in a RWD car she's going to go flying across the intersection backwards

Nah m8

>mid front engined read drive
The elder god
>Mid front engine symmetric AWD with rear LSD
THE NEW KING

So, a forklift then?

longer wheelbase then that though man

>he hates free skids

oh yes

Why hasn't something like this been done? I'm guessing it must not work that well irl.

arent you dead ferdinand

because the hood would either be a mile long or the engine would be in the cabin
either way is totally impractical

hallo

Really now , why isn t RWD and rear/ mid engine a thing?

They're a thing but Mid mounts are a cunt to work on and get fuck all air flow.

Literally Porsche's gimmick

This is how almost every FWD is designed; engine in front of the axle.
not that retarded. Motorcycles also bathe the clutch in engine oil for longer life and better space efficiency. Just has to be done the right way
weight moves away from the direction of travel when accelerating. Dynamic weight distribution is MUCH better in a RWD car. by your logic drag cars should be FWD.
Unless you move the wheels forward. toyotas city car (can't remeber the name) has the wheels as far forward as can be and puts the engine behind the axle. If anything it make more sense with things that way because auxilaries and things like your radiator, a/c condenser etc can sit above the axle.
nah man its been proven that around 60% of weight should be over the rear axle, and around the same percentage of torque driven to the rear. You can't think of weight distribution when a car is static it doesn't give you a proper idea of how the vcar reacts. 60% rearward puts the dynamic distribution closer to 50% when youare under brakes or turning. cars rotate around an axis that is closer to the rear of the car than the front as well so the engine is in prime position behind the driver, in front of the rear axle.
Understeer can be tuned in with suspension regardless of the layout. Manufacturers should at least give us a good chassis to modify

Porsche internet defence force detected, nah jk.

Your average driver gets better feels from FR. I personally don't really care what autists use to get 0.02 second faster burger ring lap times. The driving pleasure of FR cannot be surpassed unless traction is dubious (gravel, snow or wet conditions) where a nice balanced AWD actually feels lively as opposed to numb/understeering in high traction. Which is like 90% of the time. lol

Literally every car built from the ground up for top tier performance in every aspect of driving is rear mid engined.

FR only exists because it was the best we could do with manufacturing tech at the time and only persisted for nostalgia's sake

>i-it's the driving experience
>you're not a CAR GUY you wouldn't understand
>*drives off in grand tourer*
>*arrives at cafe*
>*calls it a sportscar*

Case in point, this guy and his "driving pleasure".

Personally I don't find driving a souped up american luxobarge pleasurable and always enjoyed gokarts more.

I agree to an extent. I've driven some pretty boring FR but on a whole FR is more predictable and able to be played with more often and within the drivers control.

And I think porsches work because porsche has done alot of work. but they could have a much better product ahem,cayman, with the engine in front of the rear wheels.