QTDDTOT : Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads

A place to ask all your short automotive related questions.

>ProTip - Google your question first. You are in more chances of getting a detailed answer to it.

Also, please go through the thread to find questions of which you know an answer to.

Previous Thread - Have A Great Day!

Other urls found in this thread:

ericthecarguy.com/honda-abs-codes-1998-to-now
imagewheels.co.uk/f40-alloy-wheel/
imagewheels.co.uk/billet-11-alloy-wheel/
autoanything.com/car-covers/covercraft-weathershield-hd-custom-car-cover
vehiclehistory.com/paging-vin-report-data/new-report.php?vin=5N1ED28Y44C648506
vehiclehistory.com/paging-vin-report-data/new-report.php?vin=JN8DR09Y43W830728
youtu.be/4brNd2MJb8Q?t=67
youtu.be/pHhdmb1jrFo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

what should i be wary of when looking at sw20 turbos?

also, pre 93 or 93+?

Thanks for making this one OP

how do i add oil to my truck? how do i know what oil i should use?
I just paid for an oil change but my oil is still at the same spot as when i took it in to be replaced, so i don't think they did it.

gen 6 toyota pickup

your manual should have the specs in it.
you can always run your vin on MFG's website and get a manual if you dont have one.

How difficult is it to get a hold of a title for a car that doesn't have one?

not hard. price varies
you can request a title replacement at the DMV or city hall. wherever you register it.

What do you need to get one from the DMV? I read something about having to track down whoever previously owned it and get some proof of purchase from them. I live in Pennsylvania if that counts for anything

yeah i'm not entirely sure if that's needed for a title replacement.
your best bet is to go there in person and get some more info.

It's probably needed for registering the vehicle.
I'm sure there has to be a way to get around that for special circumstances.

Anyone know of a decent 12v air pump that isnt shitty chinese crap that takes half an hour to top off a single tire?
Would I be better off with a hand pump of some kind instead?

My brakes on my DD are acting up a lot recently, it's a shitty 01' honda accord.

When I drive it feels fine until about 10 min and then the brake doesn't engage until about halfway pressed down and I have to press it all the way for it to stop.

I replaced the brake shoes, wheel cylinders, brake drum, and the master cylinder(full brake fluid btw, but the brake light is always on.). desu, I have no idea what else it could be.
Please help, I don't wanna die on my next commute.

Because of the massive wheel spin when launching a FWD car, would it be faster to keep the wheels from spinning when launching?

Brake light usually means your ABS isn't working. 90% of braking is done by the front brakes, so unless you saw brake fluid leaking from the rear you really could have just left that alone. With all the shit you've done to it, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a shit-load of air in the system. Bleed that shit at all four lines from further to the master cylinder to closest.

Best NSX

How difficult or expensive is it to fix up hail damage on a car?

How bad is the damage?

thanks, will do!

I don't have a picture since it's not my car, but they're numerous yet shallow.

pull the ABS code(s)
it might give you a better idea of what is wrong
probably just bad ABS sensor or abs ring
ericthecarguy.com/honda-abs-codes-1998-to-now

Hey Veeky Forums, I'm picking up a nearly mint condition '89 RX-7 turbo II for $1000. Currently has 89k on it and doesn't run. What are the main things i should check before I teach myself to rebuild it? Owner ran it on normal unleaded, not premium.

did he tell you why it doesn't run?
are you prepared for the fact it might need a new engine and/or trans?

anyone know what wheels these are or any similar style wheels?

If I put winter tires on the front wheels of my civic, and almost bald all seasons on the rear wheels, could I get the thing sideways in a parking lot with minimal use of the handbrake?

Just bought a pretty nice car and I'm interested in keeping it safe. Anyone have any suggestions?

I have a wheel lock for it, but anything else I should get? Dash cam?

put it in your garage.

maybe these
imagewheels.co.uk/f40-alloy-wheel/

imagewheels.co.uk/billet-11-alloy-wheel/

Is there anything stopping me from removing my PCV valve and just running a tube from the crank case to the ground below my engine bay?

Catch cans are cool and all but i feel this is a simpler solution since my car is exhempt from emissions and shit.

Forgot to mention, no garage. Are there places that rent space?

you still run a PCV valve with a catch can.

would it be bad to delete it though? Its a 1.6 cvh and the PCV runs to the airbox, not to the intake manifold so I feel like the whole vaccuum aspect is even more fucked up. My carb is constantly getting coated with oil and it sucks ass.

Depends where you live. If you're driving it often it might not be good to put it in storage just because of the hassle it'd be

how high is too high a gradient? 25%?

It's not a daily...a few times a week at most. I do have covered parking but it's not exactly 'indoors.'

I'm thinking about buying a car cover, something like: autoanything.com/car-covers/covercraft-weathershield-hd-custom-car-cover

Is it worth getting a tracker off Amazon to protect from theft?

Live by the beach also, so I'm worried about the salty air and moisture.

All right lads. Found pic related (SL 350 272ps, 2007) 2 days ago in a dealership and kinda fell in love with it.
Its super clean in person.

Normally im not a fan of 2000s mercedes because they often are a mix of moden and ancient shit. Their non amg engines are also turbo slow.
However I really like this one. How are these cars? How reliable? My brother works at mercedes. We have free oil for all our cars and much cheaper parts thanks to him. Still, no matter how cheap or not I still dont want to have any problems. My brother is obviously a mercedes fanboy so of course there are no problems at all with mercedes cars.. So I dont have to ask him for that.

Has piecha exhaust too (anyone know these exhausts?). The wrapped black rearlights are sadly illegal in my country anyway so these have been taken off.

Probably gonna call today/tomorrow and ask for a drive and check it with my brother.

Another pic with roof down

He has no idea. Car has been sitting in his garage for 7 years. I'm prepared to learn how to wrench on her, but I doubt I'd afford a swap.

I recently got a valet parking job
>know very little about aut/o/'s
I want to learn the basic controls of every car, so I know where the important things are when I get into a car. Where can I learn these quickly?

Losing oil and coolant quite fast, cars drank almost a quart of oil between the dipstick after getting filled up a month ago. Coolant faster than that as it's lost almost half in a little over a month.
I regularly check my oil and no sign of coolant contamination. Coolant had turned brown but I first filled it with red and then after a couple of months I refilled it with blue.
Never had any sign of overheating.
Do those signs point to a bad head gasket? And is it worth buying a cheap compression tester to test it?

Are you sure it's not just two separate leaks, maybe a coolant hose and the sump gasket or a crack in the sump?
I'm no mechanic but I think the car would be a smoke machine if all of that got in the combustion chambers.

It's possible, although I've never seen any signs of oil on my driveway, even when I didn't have the underplate on the car
Also my smoke is pretty white on a cold start, although I think that may just be me overthinking things with it

Should I?

131,620 km

What are the different styles of decals? Especially the two in pic related.

So far I've picked up these terms from online vendors, but many don't appear to be standardized.

Strobe Stripes
Stripes
Splash
Sail
Boomerang
Feather
Lightning
Squiggles
Sickle

Why don't these niggers have a support number plastered on their page so I can blow their ears out?

Seriously I sent this water pump back because it's fucked and they sent the SAME FUCKING PUMP back like 'nah man it's good'

absolutely

Do Acura/Honda's have a problem with radiator plastic "crumbling" when they are removed? I have my TSX at the stealership because my go-to mechanics are indisposed, and they are telling me that the plastic along the top of the radiator just crumbled away when they were removing one of the condensor fans. I've looked on google, but I can't find anyone complaining about this issue at all.

Are they trying to rip me off with this (I mean other than the fact it's at the dealership already)?

How do I open my 240SX hatch? When I pull the release lever I hear something move but the hatch doesn't move and there's just a hole where the keyhole used to be. The guy who sold it to me opened it from the outside but IDK how

Would it be a good idea to buy a cheap, old piece of shit so I can learn to wrench on it during winter? Or should I just buy an engine to rebuild?

I had some hail damage fixed on the roof of a car. The small spots couldn't be fixed but the bigger more noticeable ones could. There was quite a bit and it looked way better after. Iirc it was like 800 bucks

God I miss cars that had these graphics

2005 Toyota Matrix XR

I replaced all the brakes in the car a few months ago. Disc brakes in the front, drums in the rear. It was fine for awhile but after I was forced to make a really hard stop the drums in the back started making some weird noises. It's kind of like a grinding sound but it's not constant. It kind of pulsates making the sound and not making sound relative to how fast the wheels are spinning. I took it to the mechanic three separate times. The first time they said something wasn't greased right so they re did that. The second time I think they completely replaced the drum brakes. The third time they "cut some extra metal" out of the drum brakes. This fixed the problem for awhile each time but either over time or if I have to make a hard stop the noise comes back. I also noticed the parking brake is lot looser and less effective since taking it to the mechanic. What the fuck is happening to my car?

Always include model and year senpai. Ive never seen any plastic around the radiator on my cars besides those pieces they cover modern engine bays with. Are you talking about the black plastic in the pic?

>are they trying to fuck me
Probably, my oldest car was a 91 and the radiator wasnt cracked or "crumbly". Need model and year tho so i can look at pics of the engine bay

Just found out my engine "requires" 91 octane gas. Ive been feeding it the cheap shit since i got it 4 months ago, but its an 02 car so it could of been drinking this shit for years. Im switching to 91 octane, but before i do that whats the best product to clean the whole fuel system? I was thinking seafoam to clean, and then MMO as an occasional additive

Wrenching on an engine is harder than a car IMO. If you plan on spending a lot of time researching the engine and going slow with it then sure. If you just want to start pulling parts and learn as you go, id recommend a car first.

Sounds like its an old piece of shit. My first car was the same way, the last owner had a small piece of rope tied to the lock mechanism, pulling it opened the lock. Get a light and look/feel for something like that inside the hole

My defroster only sometimes blows heat, and when it does the heat goes away after a little bit, thinking of getting like a battery blow dryer or something lol. Regular heat is the same but only worried about defogging windows. Anyone else not have heat and trying to deal with cold weather? Car is an 01 audi a4. A fix would be pretty costly I assume.

If I took a Lamborghini Huracan GT3 or Super Trofeo to Underground Racing, would they be able to do the same kind of engine upgrades they do to the street legal Huracan?

I've suddenly inherited a car, never had one before. It came with a spare tire and a jack, and I'm waiting until this weekend to get a socket set. What else should I get?

Look up what sizes it SHOULD take and make sure to get those. If its more than 10 years old and had more than a few owners chances are itll have some mismatched bolts and shit from other owners losing bolts/parts. In that case you might end up needing a metric and imperial set

Does it matter how I seal this up? Want to make sure the passenger side airbag can still deploy.

Volvo 850 '95 if it matters.

What's wrong with a 2009 Buick LaCross?

Is it normal to buy cars with paypal nowadays? I put up an $8k+ car for sale and in the span of one day I already have 3 offers to buy the car at full price and they say they'll paypal me the money, seems fishy as hell. I'm affraid that even if they do pay they'll dispute the payment afterwards or get a charge back. Looking it up however it seems car purchases aren't covered by paypal and they couldn't get a refund.

In what sense? Possible mechanical and electrical issues?

There's no VIN Check thread, anyone with an account hook me up? I'm trying to find a decent Xterra/Pathfinder.

5N1ED28Y44C648506

JN8DR09Y43W830728

Where would you guys go to look for replacement engines from used cars? I love going to the scrapyard, but would never get an engine from one.

Here's a picture of a duck for your troubles.

There's an entire industry devoted to used, imported, Japanese engines if you have one of those. Google "Japanese engines [your state here]".

If not, then best check the scrapyards/breakers. They list their actual valuable shit on car-part.com where you can search by part. Then you're just gonna have to call the various places and get quotes for it and shipping or whatever.

Horn randomly honks and it's annoying to try and get it to stop, and also dangerous. What do I do to disable it? Yes I know it could be dangerous to do, but I have no choice.

Subaru Impreza 07 btw.

Both, I guess. I brought one up as a replacement for a worn-out W-Body Impala and got told "don't go full Buick".

What ever happened to the VIN check threads and VINbro?
I found a biohazard car on copart in my city and I want to find more info about the car. A bit of morbid curiosity.

What are some tasteful mods to do to a stock WRX? No gay shit like fartcans. Just some upgrades.

Any car thats been modified is a huge red flag. how many miles are on it?

I think we BOTH know what happened in there user

how the shit can he not know?

dude, surely that wasn't done on purpose.
1-(608)
661-1376
Mon - Thur 7 to 10
Fri - 7 to 9
Sat - 7 to 6
Sun - 8 to 4

basic reports

vehiclehistory.com/paging-vin-report-data/new-report.php?vin=5N1ED28Y44C648506

vehiclehistory.com/paging-vin-report-data/new-report.php?vin=JN8DR09Y43W830728

decide which of the 2 you want more and i MIGHT
MIGHT

be able to pull a carfax
leave an email

So I'm planning to change my brake pads, and what I'm intending to do is once I've taken off the wheels and can get at it I'll check the rotor thickness to determine whether they need replacing. Thing is I suppose resurfacing rotors isn't something you can do yourself without special machinery so I'll need to call some shops and see if they'll do it/how much, take them there get it done before I can come back and continue with the brake pads. I feel like there's probably a better way to go about this?

does your car do this in first gear too?
youtu.be/4brNd2MJb8Q?t=67

Okay, I work a retail job now at American Eagle, I usually wind up bringing home $50 a week because of cut shifts and the like. The local Kia (I know) dealership is hiring sales personnel and I'm considering applying. From the add it sounds like they'll take almost anyone. My only work experience is 2+ months at American Eagle and 1 month as a car detailer at a buy here pay here place ( I was a NEET for a while). I'm looking for advice from people on here about whether or not I should apply.

So, when retiming an engine, does it matter which point on the distributor you start on, just as long as that point is cylinder 1 and the rest go in the correct firing order?

which company makes the best turbocharger for 13b?

How the fuck do stealerships get away with it? My 10 year old FWD shitboxs halfshaft they wanted 550 dollars with tax for the front left. Can get one off of rockauto from a decent brand for 80-130 dollars. Is the quality disparity really that big? It seems insane, i guess they are not called stealerships for nothing. Have got charged like 10 dollars per bolt when i really need them etc.

I'm about to get my first manual car and want to understand how rev-matching/blipping/heel-toe/all that complicated shit works for downshifting specifically. I've had like a few hours in a manual car, years ago, when I was first learning, but only learned to blip.

My understanding is this:

>Regardless of technique, the smoothest downshift will come when you clutch in, match revs for the next lower gear, then downshift

So. Does wheelspin/speed dictate revs to some degree? For ideal downshifting, do you need to have a rough mental estimate of
>How fast you're going (X)
>What RPM your engine is at in current (Y) gear
>What RPM your engine will be at while you're traveling at speed X and shift to gear Y-1 ?

I know I'm overanalyzing it and a lot of it will probably come from experience. But it seems like you have to literally do some derivative function math or some shit to recognize where you need to rev to to get the smoothest downshift.

Is it a sort of 'rough range', like 'if you're within 500 RPM or so it'll be smooth enough'? Or will a good manual driver be able to know EXACTLY what their rev count needs to be to go from gear Y to gear Y-1?

Forget the numbers, just do it by feel.

Yea, but there's no external damage or bullet holes, as well as blood all over both seat and the dash. I wanna know what really happened. Double suicide? Murder?

Look, seriously, this is what 9/10 of people say. I know that is a message in and of itself, but it seems just too simplistic.

I know, "haha so funny Veeky Forums laugh at the faggot", but to put it into perspective I actually kind of experience this in racing sim vidya. I know that's not even close to the same experience as, well, driving, but still.

Every racing game, I try to just match the sounds, for lack of a better term, and downshift when the rev count "seems right". The thing is, I always seem to damage my engine (and if I'm doing it in vidya, I sure as fuck don't want to do it to a IRL car).

Does wheel-braking (this will illustrate my complete and utter 'push pedal to go faster' autofag experience with driving) have influence on the engine? Which is to say, every driving video/show I've ever seen shows people just casually going through the gears within a few seconds of each other as they downshift, while I in a simulator seem to blow a piston after literally one downshift.

if you braking is giving you vibrations when braking they might be warped.
if not, then whether or not the rotors can be turned depends on their thickness. if too thin you can't have them turned and still be within spec.
If the rotors are pretty old they have seen alot of cycles of hot/cold, etc and you might just be better off replacing them.

>I feel like there's probably a better way to go about this?

just buy new rotors?

not really so long as you go with a reputable brand and know what the fuck you're doing and what you're replacing. then you should be ok.

you might be able to get OEM parts for cheaper online. get some part #'s and do some searching

A videogame ain't real life dude. Look up some videos on learning driving, there's a British teaching school that made a good set of videos. Let me see if I can find it.

But basically, listen to your engine and feel how it reacts. You don't need much throttle to downshift and it will take longer to let out the clutch than you think.

The worst that is going to happen in any normal car is that you might accelerate clutch wear if you don't rev match or do it poorly.

You can let the clutch out slowly as you're downshifting to avoid any jerkyness, and again you might wear your clutch slightly too fast. For the record, wear out "too fast" means 10k miles if you're fucking up badly.

Your car will not explode. Keep your eyes on the goddamn road and not your RPM.

Here's a video specifically for you vidya user
youtu.be/pHhdmb1jrFo

The rest of their videos are good too. Just browse what interests you and learn, then go practice on a real car. Get driving lessons or something.

>buy new rotors.
This. You can change rotors yourself, but only a shop could turn your warped ones. Buying new rotors can actually be significantly cheaper.

Interesting, do pursue

and save time just getting the job done in one go vs
take off rotors
take to shop to have them turned if they can be
come back and finish job

guy an hero'd via garden hose + exhaust fumes

Giulia Ti Q4
Audi A5 Sportsback
BMW 4 Series

Which one would you buy and why?

Why does the (digital) clock in my car end up 8 minutes or so faster every month after I set it?

probably leaning towards the 2018 430i gran coupe'

1. BMW
2. Audi
3. Alfa Romeo

>and why?
no

what are you comparing it with? the time on your phone?

sounds like you are comparing your dash clock to a time that includes adjustments for daylight savings. (your dash doesnt)

just a guess

If you could have any car in the world, have unlimited fuel for that said car, and have it replaced in any unfortunate event, which car would you have? Personally, I would have a Koenigsegg Agera R.

wut if you die tho

Well, I guess the car can get buried with you.

Why the R and not the RS?

Mine would be pic related