Only 100hp

Why do you need more than 100hp?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KjsStMS02J8
youtube.com/watch?v=DvtEadpQekA
truckyeah.jalopnik.com/the-top-speed-of-a-mercedes-unimogs-super-crawler-gear-1797869370
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

how many torques?

>what is gearing

I can actually give a reasonable answer to this question that will leave all parties involved satisfied.

You see, to match the performance of yesteryear for a standard grocery getter, there is a higher and higher requirement for horsepower to match the increased weight of cars today.

That is why people need more than 100hp.
Look at an early 80s grocery getter, and find its present day model year. Then compare their acceleration times, curb weight, and horsepower.

This need has nothing to do with wanting to drive fast or go racing. An average 3300lb sedan today simply cannot function with 100hp. Even cars like the chevy sonic, nissan versa, or ford fiesta need more than that at their very light curb weights.

My Focus SE does to 0-60 n 7.5 seconds, back in the 80s that was sports car territory.

Enough. The power and torque ratings claimed to accomplish things in vehicles are retardedly overrated these days (muh 400 hp 800 lbft pickup truck), you can do even heavy tasks with something slightly better than a lawn tractor engine if the gear is designed for it.

youtube.com/watch?v=KjsStMS02J8

These things have like 80 hp.

>tfw no extra light car with no safety features or extra bells and whistles and a very small but efficient modern engine with the same performance of an 80s econobox but with better economy

>ecoboost TT v6 in something like a fucking omni
I support this

Sorry, you'll have to settle for your 7800lb 98hp Twin Ecoboost™ vehicle with sixty airbags

In the USA we have roads on which we tow heavy loads at speeds higher than 5mph

My prius only got 99hp

>the new models have Best In Class Visibility™
>this had to be designed in because stacy getting into rollovers because she's doing her goddamn makeup going down I40 mandated pillars thicker than goddamn frame rails

*buys flat bed cap so he can stow away groceries and uses truck for nothing but office commute*

*tries to buzz back to his house from the pension office in his 65hp egg before Abdullah impregnates his girlfriend

>trucks can't also be used for normal tasks, just have 4 different cars to fulfill all your needs

To bully

The point is that a car can do most "truck" tasks.

If your hobby involves towing a large load and/or dealing with off-road terrain the small increase in operating cost of a pickup vs a car is a decent tradeoff.

sure, if you never want to go offroad, move large materials, tow heavy shit, or even transport a goddamn dirtbike, yeah.
I guess having the ability to do cool shit just isn't for some people.

It's true, no one needs anything larger than a twingo, or a small motorbike

Dirtbike can easily be done with a hitch hauler but if your riding area has a mudpit entrance then yeah, a car will have trouble.

And how many truck owners do that? I'm not saying that no one uses their truck their truck for truck things, I'm only saying that the majority of truck owners don't.

Also stock trucks are complete fucking garbage at going offroad, and you can literally town a dirt bike behind a god damn Gold Wing or Geo Metro. It's not even as heavy as two people.

What is garbage about 4x4? Mud pits suck dude. Even just 100 yards/~100m of mud can be impossible for a car. Also who cares if normies don't use them to their full potential, it's more lightly used vehicles on the used market for us.

Who gives a shit? Oh yeah, you, so absolutely nobody

God no. You can buy Camrys today that can blow the doors off my Boxster in a straight line

You don't need that boxster either, sports cars are unpractical and wasteful

Yeah but I want one. It's as simple as that

>le 56%.jpg

for fun

Bruh, that's probably more than my 1980s chevy 305 makes now

>305
for why? if its 80s its probably making like 9:1 compression or some fucking retarded shit like that because loljimmycarter
throw a crate 350 in there and slap some vortec heads on it or something. jesus.

Leave Jimmy alone

but those things make like 370hp on the low end, and 620 on the high end.

the kubota on my farm makes 38hp though, but it's a compact tractor with only front bucket and mow deck

>tfw it's just 620 computer horsepower

shut the fuck up you fucking retard, you were wrong and you know it

Oh i'm so sorry I offended you because I don't have the facilities, money, or time to swap in a crate 350. Let alone my th200 trans won't survive a 350.

>Why do you need more than 100hp?
Because my car weighs a ton and a half. It accelerates slowly even with 130hp.

> Tractors
Because my current seeders demand 270HP to run them. Just to run the implement. Got to have more to use it uphill. Gotta have horsepowers to haul a trailer full of grain up hills, too.

>have a whopping 27hp from 250cc’s of throbbing, carbureted v-twin ‘fury’
>5 gears
>top speed of 90 mph
>~100mpg average

Meh, it’s fine for daily commuting when it’s over 35 degrees outside.

Nobody needs more than a Trabant.

But that Unimog can put out 80 HP continuously. It's shit on the on-ramp, but it just keeps going.

Horsepower = 0.746 kW

Watt = Joule / second = work / time

Work = Force × Distance

Torque = Force × Distance = Nm or lbft

Torque x rpm × (1/60) = Horsepower

Horsepower moves you forward, porportional to rpm × torque.

You need an engine that can operate efficiently at higher revs to reach higher speeds.

On large vehicles, they dont need to operate at high wheelspeeds. This means they require less power output but at a greater torque to do the same work.

Also, kinetic energy of a body:

0.5 × mass × (velocity^2)

Its more how it geared desu

video related, has "180" hp...but thats russians saying that

youtube.com/watch?v=DvtEadpQekA

Because 0.5 m V^2 is kinetic energy, the work required to increase your speed is going to be considerable.

To do that work in a short period of time takes greater horsepower

If you have the time or need to reduce the stress on large components; lower horsepower output will reduce the force per distance over time. But reducing the forces acting on the system will allow you to do more work with the same components.

Correction

Horsepower = 2pi RPM (1/60) (Torque)

Work done at horsepower:

Work = 2pi (# revolutions) Torque = Joule, calorie, btu, lbft, tonne refridgeration, etc.

truckyeah.jalopnik.com/the-top-speed-of-a-mercedes-unimogs-super-crawler-gear-1797869370
>This means the engine’s torque (700 lb-ft at 1,200 rpm) gets multiplied by that value, yielding a maximum of over 2 million lb-ft of grunt at the wheels.
Glorious.

Thats literally a Lotus Elise

But, that thing's got 600hp?

Because my car weighs 7500 lbs and I want to drive it on the highway.

"car"

van, car, same difference.

I can't make out the number on that tractor but it likely has 450 to 620 HP

Moving a load at 1mph and moving a load at 80mph are completely different things....

This 100%. Any retard like me can apply 500ft/lb of torque with a reasonable length prybar. What a retard like myself cannot do however is apply that force in full circle at 6000 times per minute.

>270hp just to run farming equipment
Okay I have to ask, what the fuck seeders are you using that it takes more horsepower to shove a rack of seeds into the ground than it takes to power an entire excavator? Are all the joints made of adhesives or something?