Emergency Kit

Just bought my first car and want to know what Veeky Forums includes in an emergency kit?

Some things I have considered: Jumper cables, Fire Extinguisher, Fix a Flat, First Aid kit, flares/ safety triangles etc. etc etc.

I prefer a kit that is sufficient yet minimal and low maintenance.

Car is a coupé and I plan to store everything in the trunk, which leads to second question of what are some ways to strap items into the trunk or get them to stay in place?

All advice is much appreciated

Pic unrelated... I obviously do give a fuck

Jumper cables, fire extinguishers, a breaker bar and socket for the lug nuts, motor oil, water (for the radiator) and a healthy spare are the bare minimum for me. The triangles depend on the regulations or personal preference. I use elastic straps on the trunk itself to keep lightweight stuff still like oil still. You could put the stuff in a duffel bag if you wish.

Thanks user

First aid kit, baby wipes, spare wheel and stuff to change it, binbags, bottle of water, and energy drink.
Just don't flatten the battery, or neglect maintenance until the car randomly fails.

Maybe also small portable air compressor.

Thanks

OP here Good thinking, that will help out, an alternative to this is a basic manual bike pump. Of course it will require increased physical exertion but is cheaper and smaller than a compressor and less likely to fail in a worst case scenario. And yes although not as easy as using a compressor, you can absolutely use said bike pump for car tires I've done it.

I usually keep a few bottles of water, first aid kit, 214pc socket/rachet set, tow straps, breaker bar, jumper cables, fix a flat, repair manual, flashlight w extra batteries, 5 gallons of gas, and a spare tire. Unrelated, but I also keep a good fixed blade knife as well as a 12ga shotgun with 10 shells in there as well.

honestly it depends on the vehicle, where you're driving, and how you drive.
in my truck I have a loaded down full toolbox because I'd rather have it than not and it's the biggest truck with the biggest winch when I go wheeling so I need all the help I can get.
for an average car I'd recommend fix a flat, air compressor (or bike pump), basic socket set (and other basic hand tools), wd40, water, baby wipes, jumper cables, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, and maybe a couple flares
for a classic car I'd say that plus more tools and spare fuses/bulbs.
if you're in a winter area keep handwarmers, ether, and a good jacket, and for my fellow desertfags I'd recommend a shitload of water.

Thanks
>a good fixed blade knife as well as a 12ga shotgun with 10 shells in there as well.

touché

I feel you on the water

Here's what I carry:
>Jump Cables
>Full spare with extra lugs
>Hydrolic jack
>3 road flares
>Reflective triangle
>First aid
>5 qt. Oil
>5 qt. Coolant (60/40 mix)
>Breaker bar with lug fitting and socket
>3 different multitools
>.45 cal handgun
>5 gal of gas
>Air pump with cig lighter adapter

>what are some ways to strap items into the trunk or get them to stay in place?
Any pics or Advice?

>basic manual bike pump
Most can't achieve car tire pressures. Just get a decent foot pump off Amazon if you really feel the need for one. However, your spare should be fully inflated, so you don't need to burn fuel carrying it about as long as you MAINTAIN YOUR VEHICLE in proper working condition.

>Bike pumps
>Most can't achieve car tire pressures.
Bike pumps can inflate road bike tires that are 140+ psi, car tires average 30-35 psi. The pump can absolutely handle the pressure, if there is any concern it would be with the volume of car tires, not the pressure; aka the lack of endurance of the user and not as much the strength.

Either way I already said that the air compressor, or foot pump would be easier (better) to use, the bike pump is simply a low tech alternative that does work. My point was to thank for the suggestion and add to it, not dispute it.

I got this Bridgestone kit it's got almost everything you'd want. The only thing I added to it was flares.

Forgot to add it comes with hook Velcro on the bottom to stick to the trunk carpet and has never come lose in and hard braking or turns.

Most can't. The one user will buy at walmart can't.

>adding all that weight to your car
Just carry a AAA card lol

This plus a can of fix-a-flat (only for dire emergencies), some flares, a come-along and a tow strap. Also a foldable shovel in winter.

>ctrl+f "black ice"
>0 results found

pleb thread

you're missing the point. Most bike tires have higher pressure air in them than car tires. A bike pump will absolutely handle the pressure but it would take hours to fill a car tire from flat because the volume of air is many times more. Same with the cheapo 12v walmart ones, it will (eventually) work. ...this is assuming the shitty all-plastic chinese reject motor will run for long enough to fill the tire, which I suppose is a dubious proposition.

you obviously haven't done it before, it doesn't take hours. you will get tired though, especially if you are a fucking lard ass

I haven't; I just estimated via ~15-30s for a bike tire, roughly 50-200x more volume, factor in extra time from getting tired, plus exaggeration because it's fucking fourchan.

I forgot to factor the savings you get from only having to pump to 30 psi instead of 60-100, though.

Leave

I see a lot of Jumper cables, but i still haven't seen a portable power battery jumper mentioned. OP fuck the cables they are heavy, get one of these. Look for a deal on slickdeals, they can go as low as $30 and they have more than enough charge and amperage to jump a car. I've seen it in action, and all the guys who helped me jump my shitbox from AAA had one on them. Car started first discharge everytime.
You can also charge your phone with them, they have like 9k+ mAh.

OP here
Yes this
please remember that this Thread is focused on an Emergency Kit that is
>sufficient yet minimal and low maintenance

As far as compressors go I might get one down the line. Though a manual pump would probably put me more at ease because most of the quality ones have practically no mechanical issues and simply do not break down or run out of juice.

>Most can't.
Disagree
>The one user will buy at walmart can't.
Agree; I wouldn’t trust any bullshit supplies weather mechanical or manual in an emergency kit. I choose quality I can literary depend on.

Something to keep in mind is that you would not plan to inflate a tire from empty using a bike pump.... this is what a spare is for.
So when pumping a deflated tire you could realistically expect to pump any where from 30 seconds to about 5 minutes per tire (which admittedly is kind of allot) Further in an emergency situation you do not necessarily have to pump a tire to it's full recommended pressure, getting it to just above it's minimum will help you get out of where ever you are stuck and to the nearest gas station/mechanic which is what I assume most would do anyway even with a compressor.

My Verdict:
>Both air compressors, foot pumps, and bike pumps will inflate a car tire
>Most will prefer the compressor due to ease of use which I understand and support
>Bike pumps are the most minimal and inexpensive methods and least likely to have any mechanical issues, although they require a significant amount of physical excretion,
>all aforementioned methods are appropriate for an emergency kit.

Thanks user, will definitely consider.

I like to keep a sweater in the back seat during summer and an old coat in autumn since i work night shift and drive late at night. If you live in an area that gets snow it wouldn't be a bad idea to keep traction aids and a small snow shovel as well, those helped me out of a pinch a few times.

If you get snow in the winter like the real world does, get a short shovel.

Anyone have an suv with no real hiding spaces? Where do you store your stuff?

I've got some little compartments in the rear that hold my tools and a small med kit. There's no room under the rear seats and the jack is under the passenger seat.

I should have jumper cables but I dont in my main shitbox.
Basic tools, sockets, adjustable wrench, vise grip, screwdriver, and a specialty screwdriver set because ford uses fucking torx for the goddamn brake light cover.
Fire extinguisher, some cheapo tow straps, spare tire inflated to proper PSI, some napkins, quart of oil, washer fluid, etc.

One thing I have that you might consider is a dead blow hammer.
Was stuck on side of road one time because we were able to get the lugs off of my friends car, but the wheel was seized onto the hub and we could not get it off no matter how much we kicked at it. We called AAA and the guy shows up with a big orange hammer, gives it a couple whacks, and it's off.

Oh, also I carry an old, used accessory belt that is in fair condition, in case mine were to break I could get home without worrying about depleting the battery. Also a fair condition windshield wiper blade in case one totally shreds itself for some reason. Ice scraper if you live in North-ish like me.

Also also, hose clamps and duct tape and zip ties. And a set of automotive fuses. No idea when you're going to have to either replace a blown fuse that went out randomly to limp the car home, or reattach a hose somewhere that has come loose, or repair a leak in a hose or line, or reattach your bumper or body trim to your car, there's a whole host of problems that having a couple fasteners on board solves.

First aid kit, Swiss army knife with as many functions as you feel comfortable with, bottle of water (replace that every once in a while), warm blanket, towel and maybe an old cellphone with a battery that is charged when you need it. Don't carry a bag of tools with you at all times...

Why do you shill for compressors? Are you afraid to operate a foot pump?

Also, you don't need half a ton of 'emergency' kit if you /maintain your vehicle in working condition/.