I’m thinking about buying a diesel but I don’t know which one to get...

I’m thinking about buying a diesel but I don’t know which one to get. I am a mechanic in the military that works on diesel engines all day so I can take care of it myself just Idk which one I should get.

Powerstroke is torquiest of the three if you’re buying new. After that, you really can only pick from which interior and exterior you like the most.

Do NOT get 6.0 or 6.4 powerstrokes, they have a huge list of problems, what years you looking at?

Nothing specific, my girlfriend’s dad has a 11 6.7 that I like. My brother just bought a 15 Cummins that really caught my eye too. Just looking at options right now.

The old LBZ Duramaxes are great trucks, my old man got a '17 L5P Duramax back at the beginning of the year that's been great and tows like crazy.

Literally retarded if you get the Duramax or Powerstroke over the Cummins. They're much, much more reliable and outperform the competition in sheer power. They're also the easiest and cheapest to modify by fucking far.

Additionally, RAM has the nicest interiors of all three trucks right now, the best amenities, and the best pricing. They're also on par with Ford trucks for overall reliability at the moment and leading Chevy by a huge margin.

Don't be a dipshit. Don't listen to any contrarians spouting Mopar memes.

New turbo diesel Cummins are bretty good, one thing you need to look after is the water pump since they're known to give out after a while.

Go get an old IDI Ford or a manual 12 valve Cummins. Also, the 6.0 is literally one of the best diesels money can buy, they just need a laundry list of things done to them to make them reliable
This should be /thread

>Also, the 7.0* is literally one of the best diesels money can buy,

ftfy

>Additionally, RAM has the nicest interiors of all three trucks right now

oh i am laffin

They havent been updated since 09'

Well technically 2013, but it's pretty much the same shit anyway.

Buy whatever you want. Duramaxes don't generally seem to have engine problems. Cummins occasionally have problems washing down #6 and ruining pistons.

6.0 powerstrokes are fine, despite what the internet will tell you. 6.4s are the ones to avoid. The 6.7 is a wonderful engine.

Really doesn't matter.

None of them, they're all ridiculously overpriced now since fuel is cheap and every Jethro, Bob and Cletius is looking to dump every penny they earn into one so they can ROLL COAL®

>6.0 piwerstrokes are fine despite what literally everyone who has ever had one will tell you
FTFY

Hey quit that we're all supposed to have steadfast opinions in here

>the 6.0 is literally one of the best diesels money can buy
(((you)))

>The 6.7 is a wonderful engine.

Not OP, but are they really? I'm on the fence on helping get one for dad for his company.

7.3 f250 or excursion

6 in a row, shes ready to tow. 8 in a v you probably sit when you pee

the answer to your question is obvious.

Dad has a semi built 6.0, bulletproofed of course, turbo timer, good monitoring equipment etc. I'd put it against nearly any other truck on the road. They're extremely stout with some work done to them. There's a reason they dominate diesel drag

This. You have to be doing some serious frequent towing for a diesel to be anywhere close to worth it. Have fun with injectors that are a few grand, DEF bullshit, and so on.
GASSER 4 LIFE

I have LBZ duramax, only issue I ever had with it in the last 10 years (100,000 miles) is leaking injectors.

You best start believin in Mopar memes
Ya are one

>can afford a new truck
>buy an old IDI

A 5.9 cummins 24 valve or a bulletproofed 6.0 with paperwork

Here are your real options OP:

12v Cummins
7.3L IDI/Powerstroke
Duramax LBZ

LBZ Dirtymax owner here. It the best year of Duramax to get, it comes in the 2006 and early 2007 "Classic" trucks. Last year with no emissions bullshit, and no major issues like the LB7 or LLY trucks.

Every dodge I've been in had meh interiors. My Fathers F150 lariat though has an amazing interior, like hole shit Ford did something right for once.

Now dodge exteriors.. oh boy nothing even compares, dodge just does it right. Ford is a box, chevy forgot to stop eating Twinkies for all 3 meals a day, but dodge.. nah she hit the gym, and stick to her diet. The new dakotas make me diamonds every time.

I like cummins and I dont know why

This.
It doesn't matter how much you "bulletproof" a 6.0L, their head is still only clamped by 4 studs per cylinder. This severely limits the ability to make the kind of boost a more conventional 6 stud head design can before it starts lifting cylinder heads and blowing gaskets. Sorry kid, but your "my dad's" anecdote doesn't really count for shit.
Having said all that, this is right at the higher end of the horsepower scale which in reality you're not going to see much of on the street anyway. As a strong performing street diesel the 6.0L is more than adequate with the usual EGR delete and a Provent. Good, sure. One of the best? Hardly.