Looking for lame sleeper car

So I've been looking for something to make kind of quick (notice I said quick, not fast) and have a budget of around 15k. I'm looking for something kind of ''gay'' or nerdy so I can spank these punks in their riced out civics/miatas. At first I was leaning towards the fiesta st, but recently have been thinking about getting a sonic with the 1.4 turbo motor and a 6 speed manual trans, if I get the sonic I want the sedan and plan on installing all mostly zzp parts (downpipe, catless turbo back exhaust, cold air, forged diverter valve or blowoff valve, zzp rear disk brake kit, coilovers or genuine gm sport suspension because I'm undecided) and then tuning the car accordingly so I can get the best gains out of these parts, and clear any fault codes. Was wondering what you guys think of the idea? Ive always been that guy who has a full size pickup and a somewhat sporty economy car for a cheap on gas daily, and I just sold my 2005 Saturn ion redline and looking for a fun replacement and just wanted to here if anyones had any major problems with the 1.4t in the sonic or cruze. Also I had the sonic ls sedan for a rental and thought it was a pretty damn fun car which is why ive opted to get one over the other options.

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.caranddriver.com/hellcat-powered-toyota-priusrt8-is-a-different-kind-of-prius-very-different/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Not gonna comment on the rest of your plan but a FiST is not a sleeper, it's pretty much the rice boi car of the decade.

I know its not a sleeper which is why I'm leaning towards the sonic, also when I say sleeper I just mean something that will be surprisingly fast to ricers in their Hondas and stuff, I know it will never compete with an actual performance oriented car.

bump

Check out the build import tuner magazine did on a chevy sonic, it actually turned out really fast.

90's Taurus SHO. Literally one of the shittest looking cars but theres so much potential with the engine

I actually had a sho back in the day with the 6 banger Yamaha engine and a manual trans, I would get another one if I could find one in decent shape with a manual, but at the moment 1 of the things I'm looking for is at least 30mpg, I have a Silverado with the 6.2 which is pretty damn quick for a truck, but I don't want to spend so much a week on gas. (my commute to work is about 38 miles each way)

A gm product or a Fiesta ST everyone agrees is fun and are rare as shit.

Go ST, unless you want to run the risk of owning a heavily modified GM product and a super high strung 1.4 litre.

Get a ranger and put a 5.0 in it

Saab 9-5 aero wagon. You won't be quick off the line, because lol fwd and lag. But from 30 to 155 you'll be pretty beastly with a tune.

If you could find a saab 9000 cde that would work as well, same fwd and lag issue, but the engine in the 9000 is good for about 500-600hp while the 9-5s is on borrowed time at 400hp.

Volvo 740/940 wagon with big big turbo or v8 or 2jz swap.

buy some old GM FR boat from the 80s and slap some heads and an intake on it. boom done.

Hellcat Prius.

blog.caranddriver.com/hellcat-powered-toyota-priusrt8-is-a-different-kind-of-prius-very-different/

Do the saab

could user hop up a Kcar? I'm not familiar with the Mitsuchrysler motors.

This. Had one in college. Would race everything from older z28s to brand new STis. All said the same thing, that's the best sleeper you can get.

v6 rav4 with a supercharger

Get a PT Cruiser GT manual
>SRT-4 engine
>better trans than the SRT-4
>gay/faggy/nerdy/old people
>will absolutely dust 95% of cars out there with a few simple mods™

Hyundai veloster turbo.

2009 rav4 v6

2 G R F E and supercharge it like the lotus variant lmao

1st gen Mazdaspeed 3 or Mazdaspeed 6

CTS-V

bumping this thread, lot of interesting sleepers

tl
dr

Corolla with a 2zz swap

Do an NA build and get ~250HP in a 2000lb carf

nigga there's already a Corolla with a 2zz.......

(05 xrs)

I think he means E110, not E120

Currently have a rental Cruze with the 1.4t.

Review say that it's slow as balls and lacks power, but it feels pretty peppy for what it is. It does run out of breath pretty quickly, but it's got a tiny turbo and has more torque than hp so it definitely FEELS faster than something like a Corolla or Civic.

I kind of feel like it's a horrible idea to pour all that money into parts on a total shitbox though.

If you dont mind an auto, '13/14 hyundai sonata 2.0t. Those were the years they did 270 hp, every year after they started neutering the engine gradually.

Just make sure the engine recall is serviced first.

Find dead battery non-op prius for 1,000 bucks
500 dollah LS swap
Throw in nitrous kit for another $500
Lots of money left for hookers and blow

>this

all ive done to my sanic was the trifecta toon and ill be putting some decent rubber on after this winter, anymore would feel like a massive waste of money

>500 dollah LS swap

more likely $5000

prius is fwd

Ls4 is a 5.3 ls for fwd

you are my favorite user on Veeky Forums

I drive a sonic just like yours but it's a hatchback and it's painted white, and seeing how much love you have for your sonic always puts a smile on my face. Maybe I'll start taking more pics of my car cause of you.

B5 S4 for ~10k, the rest on maintenance for half a year.

Does anyone even make cams for these? I know there's tunes from BNR, ZZP, Trifecta, and VTuner, but what about cams? The only thing valvetrain related I've seen are updated valve springs

Probably. My uncle did rally and used a Dodge Omni for the longest time. He passed away though so I can't ask him, but I would assume so.

>literally one of the few only it makes sense to buy a Ford over a Chevy

TBQH, the Sonic would meet your sleeper goals better than the ST. The ST is overall a better car though.

>Get a ranger and put a 5.3 in it

FTFY

No sense in putting a garbage engine in it when you can get an amazing engine that is far more reliable and costs less

In what fucking world does a 5.3 cost less than a 302W?

Gen 4 GTI, absolutely invisible. Avoid 2.slow, unless you don't want to go at any kind of speed.

They're absolutely fucking impossible to work on though, not just the base models. They're only God machines when they run and you have to be a genius and have otherworldly patience to get to the smallest things

>when they run
Had an '03 GT with an autostick, which you'd think would have problems and guess what, it didn't, aside from thermostats being fuckie it was perfect
Yes, if you plan on doing something to the engine you should pull it, get everything you need done and put back, but OP asked about sleepers that fit a particular imahe he was looking for and the PTGT DEFINITELY hits all marks

Get your autism checked out

>5.3
>in a RWD ford

wut

cobalt ss turbo
Just remove the ss badge and the stupid wing.