Electric Vehicle General - /EVG/

Motor shot edition

>General EV discussion
>Hybrids and Fuel Cells welcome
>Talk about your EV, potential EV purchases, concepts, etc.

Current events of interest
>GOP Tax plan would end US federal tax incentives, could cripple stateside EV sales and push manufactures off production and R&D
usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2017/11/02/house-tax-plan-electric-car-credits/825444001/

>Tesla Model 3 still stuck in production Hell according to Musk in Q3 earnings call, several component contractors have yet to deliver among other issues jalopnik.com/teslas-hell-threatens-its-future-1819917980

>2017 Tokyo Motor Show currently underway plenty of interesting concepts, some with the potential to actually make it to market eventually but don't hold your breath.

Standouts are in my opinion
>Nissan Imx
>Suzuki e-Survivor concept
>Honda Sport EV

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZZidmj1VaFw
carmax.com/car/14984077
canev.com/conversions.php
youtu.be/Sl3cUMIX9Uo
advantagelithium.com/_resources/pdf/UBS-Article.pdf
greencarreports.com/news/1112603_2018-honda-clarity-plug-in-hybrid-rated-at-47-miles-of-range
techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/ev.html
techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>strong rumors of a second gen telsa roadster that doesn't have much range but is SCREAMING fast, weighs little, and has excellent suspension tuning

I love the Volt. It's great. Does anyone else here have one? Is anyone else here interested in buying one?

first gen volt was solid
second gen volt is a very big step up in almost every respect

wish the ELR got more love on the used market as essentially a cool looking luxury volt

Depending on work and my economic situation the Volt is pretty enticing as my sole car, though I want to see the full production Honda Clarity plug-in first since I vastly prefer the interior and exterior styling of the current all electric Clarity to the 2nd gen Volt.

I think most of the info people have on the ELR comes from Doug Demuro's video but even with it's flaws I do like it. I think if prices start to drop below $25k there will be more interest. Reminds me of that Toyota IQ Aston Martin rebadged, infinitely more popular after it's official death.

The Cadillac ELR Was a Truly Horrible Value

youtube.com/watch?v=ZZidmj1VaFw

oh yeah, brand new it was a dog turd value wise, but they rapidly went down to like 30 grand which makes a lot more sense used

I love the ELR too and wish it was less expensive new. I think a lot more would have been sold.

I hope the Honda Clarity can stay in EV mode at full acceleration and top speed. It seems like it would be bad for the engine to have to kick on suddenly and have a full load put on it immediately.

I truly hope

Honda says the 2018 Clarity plug-in will operate like the volt with a 47 mile all electric range before the range extender kicks in. That's the cool thing with these plug-in hybrids, the gas motor isn't even part of the drivetrain, it just charges the battery.

I showed my grandfather the Fit EV pictured above and he asked me why the auto companies didn't put gas generators in the back of them, and that's basically what the Plug-ins are.

oh fuck me honda PLEASE make that thing jesus christ

>and he asked me why the auto companies didn't put gas generators in the back of them
because the R&D needed for systems like that is deceptively huge. so much fucking work was put into the volt to get the gas and ev systems to play nice, how to shuttle charge around, how to deal with the gas going bad in the tank, what if you literally never need to run the gas engine etc

You and me both, Honda's claiming the Urban Hatchback which the sport is based on will actually be a real production car in Europe by at the very latest 2021 so maybe that's a good sign but damnit I want one so badly.

In other Tokyo Motor Show news meet the Suzuki E-Survivor. Hell I'd drive it for a bit of they cleaned up the dash, something minimalist.

Yea the first Gen Volt was a pipe dream for sure, I'm surprised GM bothered to keep the car alive long enough to start making money on it. They did come up with a solution, at certain times the gasoline motor will kick on just to keep the fluids from gunking up and sitting too long regardless of the battery life.

Is it just me or is Survivor kind of an intense name? How about Scrambler or something?

Like "Yeah I drive a Survivor"

>imagine a future where crash safety and emissions don't matter nearly as much and we can get all kinds of cool throwback designs and with newer batteries you can get the same power and range of a gas engine for way less drivetrain weight overall so we get lots of ultra light weight shitboxes with stupid torque

>Honda says the 2018 Clarity plug-in will operate like the volt with a 47 mile all electric range before the range extender kicks in.
Yay! :D

Might just be a thing with Japanese auto makers naming their concepts. Something a little less intense would be nicer, but sometimes bold sells. Suzuki Grid, I like how that sounds. The EV1 concept was known as the GM Impact for a while, and that name might of actually worked had they built them with the intention of not crushing them.

I have a theory that with safety and emissions pushing price points so far up we'll eventually see a wave of kit cars in the Aerial Atom sense. You're technically building it by installing the side mirrors or other minor components but you'r really purchasing a fully-functional vehicle out of the box, but skirting emissions and safety regs.

Imagine being able to buy a kit that's basically the bottom half of the car frame, electric motor, battery, and the rest of the drive train assembly.

You get an exterior shell custom made (bonus points for large scale additive manufacturing) along with all the interior and dash components, from off the shelf to completely custom. No safety and no EPA eliminates most of the regulatory and testing costs. One of the cheapest cars in the US right now is the Ford Fiesta S base mode (I know the Mirage is cheaper but fuck that car) and it still costs $13.5k USD before taxes, registration, fuel costs, etc.

it might be suzuki's only chance at survival on a global market

why does this guy keep repeating himself? does he have asperger's?

>2nd gen roadster is stupid fast
>needs to be charged for at least an hour after like 3 laps
Ebin

>tesla wants a new roadster
>they can't even deliver the model 3 like they said they would

kek

I'm hopeing they can iron out the kinks in their tooling and production line and finally get those things out the door soon. Tesla won't be making another roadster until well after the Model 3 is fully deployed and they're putting their semi in production.

I want to buy a set of track/auto-cross tires for my Fit EV to take corners better, exactly how stupid of an idea is this?

making a few expensive cars is a lot easier than making a shitload of cheap cars

hopefully they can't deliver because tesla a shit

lol no. Only reason why exotics can maintain that business model is because of rich Arabs, and they don't want a fucking Tesla. An exotic Tesla the yuppies won't buy either because it's not catering to their poor fanbase.

This, which is why the original Roadster failed. Oh wait, they sold 3k of them with a huge waitlist despite the car costing 5x more than the Lotus it was based on.

>yuppies won't buy either because it's not catering to their poor fanbase.
Yet they can't make $160k Model X P100Ds fast enough

>>GOP Tax plan would end US federal tax incentives, could cripple stateside EV sales and push manufactures off production and R&D
In other words, EV isn't competitive in the market and should die off. Good.

ayyy volt reppin'
dad liked it so much he got one too

$35k for this massive pile of shit

new ones are shit imo

How did you get the black hood?

The thing that disappointed me the most about the new Volt were the interior materials. They definitely feel cheaper than in the first generation Volt. In the first generation Volt, the upper half of the doors (including the sills), and the upper tier of the dash were padded. In the new Volt, it's all hard plastic. I think GM cut costs with the new Volt to give it a bigger battery for the same price as the old one.

Subjectively, I prefer the styling overall on the first generation Volt.

its happening

Agreed on the first volt's styling, I think it still looks damn good for being an older design, interior and all. The second gen seems like a step down to me, they had something good going with the first gen and they wanted to change it.
It's not actually a black hood, just a shitty photoshop to see if I would like how a wrapped black hood looks. It would match the roof...

carmax.com/car/14984077

Only 25k miles for $29k! :o

It's too bad they didn't evolve the current gen Volt's styling, because I think it's the second coolest looking hybrid at the moment, with the ELR being first.

ELR is just too damn squashed for me. Took a look at them and the trunk goes deep but is super small. If they made the wheelbase a bit longer then it might tickle my pickle.

A little sad they didn't go with the z-spec. But c'est la vie.

Electric cars are shit. They have worse depreciation than base BMWs.

Nice thread, EVs on Veeky Forums is comfy.

These guys make electric conversion kits, and also low-speed electric trucks.

canev.com/conversions.php

My dad drives a 2013 Volt. It's great and has surprising torque. He burns one tank of gas a year.

10/10 would drive, kei af

First gen Insights cost almost as much as a CR-Z. All I want is a hybrid with a manual transmission.

My university had a bunch as maintenance / landscaping vehicles. They were pretty neat.

Yea I like the first gen Volt way better styling wise. Those taillights were mad sexy.

Be interesting to take a bunch of super light Kei car frames and put some electric motors in them ignoring the HP limit. Though could you make a 64HP electric motor with insane torque? Hmm, probably not. Those Kei cars won't pass US crash test so the results wouldn't be pretty.

what's an EV thread without the king..

and the god king

not stupid but I'd ask /hg/ what you could also try for better cornering.

It is pretty small, but slightly longer than the Volt, I think.

They're nice, but it's too bad the inner halves are just reflectors.

> a fucking leaf

I actually really like the first gen, it's unique. The new Leaf just looks like a generic shitbox.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but personally I couldn't stand how the exterior of the 1st gen leaf looks, and it gets even worse with that front mounted charging port. Then again I kind of like the Model 3 so go figure.

The 2nd gen renders so far look pretty generic so I see your point there. I do think Electric cars have the potential for more creative design work as long as they're still just as functional if not more so.

I do think there's a market for normal looking cars that just happen to be Electric in some capacity, e-golf, Fit EV, Clarity, etc. so that might be the market Nissan wants to go after. I don't know how much your average car buyer or lease holder is put off by off-model car designs.

I do really like the Bolt's tailights, though they should of been clear. You know Honda's clarity is one of the only cars they make (that I've seen in the USDM) with clear taillights and it looks awesome and way cleaner.

With the Bolt it feels like they let the design team have all the fun they wanted, but only on that rear back hatch. The front could of been more Tron and less angry glaring but the Bolt did have one of the fastest design cycles at GM, so maybe we'll see something cool for gen 2.

This is my personal dream car, and rumor is we might be seeing a real one soon. I'll be at the SF auto show later this month, hope it's there.

If I put a forklift motor in my Vibe so that motor output goes through the transaxle; and build a mount / cooling apparatus for the batteries, will it

>be safe
>be fast enough for interstate
>have decent range

And how much would it cost?

probably not
probably not
you didn't mention where you're going to put your batteries or what type so i'm going to say no

ev conversions are pretty hard in general

my dad has had a volt since 2011. honestly, they're god-tier in the elctric car game and probably the only good thing to come out of GM in a long time. He drives 100 miles every day for work. the volt has 200,000+ miles and is still going strong and holding charge like a champ. no major mechanical or electric issues. solid cars and worth the price. some of the trim on the outside likes to pop off, though. especially if you use car washes at gas stations or whatever.

I love the torque. It's like being in the right gear and at the right RPM at all times.

Have you sat in one? If so, what do you think of the seats? Some people have said the seats are uncomfortable.

I haven't had the chance but I night see one at a dealer or the SF auto show coming up soon but I've heard they're really bad.

If I owned a Bolt and the seats were just as bad as everyone says the first mod I would do is put in some Recaros. This is anecdotal but I heard a story about the Bolt having one of the quickest design cycles of any GM car, so between the limited iteration time and the need to cut as much weight as possible they ended up with skinny seats that are at least usable unless you're really tall.

With the exception of the headrests the Bio-Fabric sugarcane based seats on my Fit EV are very nice, not a ton of bolstering but they're comfortable, though they probably weight more than the Bolt seats.

Does anyone know if Honda uses the same headrest interface on the 2nd gen fits as they do for their modern accords or civics? If they do I might get some leather accord headrests or something cause the stock ones in the Fit EV are just way too hard.

My mom wants to sell me her 2nd gen Prius next year. If I buy it my first mod will be the EV Mode button.

That let you use it in battery only mode? Never seen that before.

Talk me out getting a used leaf lads. What lvl 2 home chargers does everyone here use?

what?

isn't a range extender EV a scaled down modified version of a diesel-electric locomotive? I know in a locomotive the diesel engine drives a generator that converts mechanical energy into electricity for the traction motors and the batteries are only for starting, why hasn't something similar been implemented for EVs?

The bolt story is really interesting. Listened to a long ass interview with a guy that headed a team that tore one down. It’s 85% Chevy parts bin parts. And the drivetrain is entirely 3rd party. Practically zero R&D, compared to the zillions for the i3. Gen 2 bolt should be solid af.

You have a link to that by any chance? Sounds like a good read.

I'm hopeing the 2nd Gen Bolt get's to be it's own thing. The Bolt right now is a loss-leader, the Drive Train is made by LG last time I checked. I'm happy for it though, because it's actually selling, and selling well.

I have seen a lot of i3s driving around, but it is pricey with a short all electric range with the extender model starting at 50 grand. Don't get me wrong it looks cool but there's a lot of other, much more enticing cars for 50 grand. Wonder how many of them are leased.

youtu.be/Sl3cUMIX9Uo

>lead acid battery
why
and why aren't they small like tesla?

they're killing it in india.

Gotta still have 12v for car accessories and other stuff. Even the TM3 still has a cigarette lighter 12v plug. It’s hidden in the center console though

I bought and disassembled nhw11 and nhw20 inverters (I'm that curious), they both have fairly powerful (50-100A) 12V inverters hooked up to HV battery.

I agree. the stupid Honda trapezoid front thing and the fake grille ruin it.

Anyone know when the Honda clarity plug in comes out?

the concept scales down poorly, basically. trains have much more lax requirement on packaging and heat flow and efficiency and weight

here's a great analysis done by UBS about the Bolt and EVs in general:
advantagelithium.com/_resources/pdf/UBS-Article.pdf

Sometime for the 2018 model year. It has been through EPA testing since early September so that's a good sign.

greencarreports.com/news/1112603_2018-honda-clarity-plug-in-hybrid-rated-at-47-miles-of-range

I don't have one yet, but I plan on getting a hardwired Clipper Creek.

It looks comfy inside.

Thanks.

Generally, like in prius, 12v battery boots 12v computers and fires up all the electronics, then the inverters kick on and power everything.

Prius 12v battery failure is a very strange thing and with weird issues, one of the first recommended checks

What do you guys think of the Pacifica Hybrid?

The computer supports it but you have to add a button. I think it was stock in Europe.

You can't drive very far on the 2nd gen though.

techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/ev.html

This guy has a whole bunch of Prius info.

techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/

All the cars you like are shit. Grow up and buy a real car.

I hope to get a large, comfortable EV that can seat at least 7 some day. The Pacifica is impressive and early to the competition. If they prove to be reliable, I might get a used one in a few years.

If I ever get an electric car I will call it Jolteon (because its electric and its part of the Eevee family)

Model X 7-Seater

WICH 18650 CELL WUD U FUG?

I would greatly prefer one. Unfortunately, Teslas have crazy high resale value. I likely wouldn't be able to afford one unless the Model 3 and Model Y caused resale value to drop.

How would one navigate the electric car used market? How many miles is too much? What are the most common issues?

>How many miles is too much?
Miles don´t realy matter, remaining capacity and overall wear are more important.
>What are the most common issues?
That depends on the manufacturer and model.
With a Tesla (P100D Ludicrous mode only) for example you sometimes get snapped driveshafts due to the excessive torque these things have, but the manufacturer replaces them for free.
With a City EL you get snapping belts or worn out contacts.

Usually the drivetrain itself makes no real issues on most vehicles.

Miles really doesn’t matter. For leafs, look for at least 8 bars left.

Lots of good deals on 500e leases right now.

If you're interested in a Volt, look for a high lifetime MPG. A higher lifetime MPG means the engine was used less, and a lower lifetime MPG means the engine was used more. Anything over 100 is good, and anything over 200 is excellent. You can find the lifetime MPG by pressing the leaf button on the center cluster and selecting "Energy Info".

what is the sawdust in engine equivalent for used EVs?

Man, the used market for cars is gonna be weird in 10 years with people testing their battery chemistry and falsifying range and etc

Maybe there will be some kind of standard for measuring battery life that all cars will use. I would like that.

Who here Prius master race?

what's a good year Prius to get as my first car? 8k budget.