Does anyone drive Uber / Lyft? I'm looking for advice

Does anyone drive Uber / Lyft? I'm looking for advice.

I'm wanting to start driving to supplement my full-time job. Probably looking to be on duty for 16-20 hours / week. I don't have a life or responsibilities so hanging out at Starbucks using other people's WiFi and shitposting between fares is good with me. There is an airport with decent traffic nearby, multiple large corporations, and concert venues and a college football stadium.

Pic related is what I want to use. Bare bones base model; 5-speed and manual windows base.

Questions: how long until I can start earning? And doing it part time like I was want, is it even worth it? Keep in mind I do 12-hr shifts at my main job and only work 14 days / month, so I have a very flexible schedule and hanging out downtown all day doing fares as they come is no big for me.

My ultimate goal with supplementing my income like this is to put back everything I make so I can afford a really badass car next year, by the way.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=v8nyGzOLsdw.
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>uber
>5 speed
i honestly would not want an uber driver driving manual so my head can jerk back and forth every time you shift, launching uphill with the handbrake.

Do you already have the car? Don't buy a car for rideshare. You won't make the money back. It's really hard on your car and you have to submit taxes as an independent contractor. So yeah you make what looks like a lot but there are no taxes taken out yet, you have to do all that at the end of the year. Plus wear and tear on the car is doubled. So your clutch for example will need to be changed sooner. I think it's worth a try for the experience, but don't buy a car specifically because of it.

You're not going to make shit if you have to buy a new car first. I would suggest finding decent used car.

>manual transmission
>jerking
learn to drive

>trusting dumbshit OP to know how to drive manual decently when hes asking about buying a brand new car to thrash it on uber

If you're only planning to do it for a year get the cheapest car within the age limit and other restrictions you can find. Assuming you'd own a car and paying rego and insurance anyway the costs aren't too great. Definitely not worth getting a new car though, especially if you plan to replace it in a years time. Can't comment on how profitable it is in yankland but it's good enough for extra income, especially at peak times.

I know how to drive.

Already have car.

Nigger I took my driving test in a stick and the cop complimented me on my driving. Lrn2manual.

>plan to replace it in a year's time
No no no. I want to keep doing Uber. I want the cheap car I don't care about thrashing to commute to my wagie job and Uber with, and the badass car that I actually want for fun.

>tfw cant drive uber or uber eats because vehicle is "too old"

the cop

lol what the fuck

your police test you for a driver's license?

can you do uber eats with a two seater? I can't and wouldn't really want to do uber or lyft because I like to keep my car clean, but uber eats might be cool for some side cash

>Lrn2manual
back to the jalopnik comments section you cretin
you are not a perfect manual driver no matter how much of a takumi you think you are
I do not want to pay money for a ride sharing service if the driver is focused on having fun shifting gears rather than doing his job

I don't know how it is everywhere, but in that part of America you go to the local State Police headquarters and a cop does a rudimentary inspection on your car and rides along with you for the test, telling you where to go and having you change lanes, merge, go down different types of roads, etc.

not op but generally there is a cop at the DMV for obvious reasons

lmao the absolute police state of America

that's pathetic

i want to just blast you in the face with a Vuvuzela

idk, mines a 2+2 and its denied because 1995 model year

Tho if its a new 2 seater, I dont see why not

>you are not a perfect manual driver no matter how much of a takumi you think you are
Of course not. No one is perfect.

>I do not want to pay money for a ride sharing service if the driver is focused on having fun shifting gears rather than doing his job
You know you can choose to drive spiritedly or tamely, right? I can row through my gears like a mad cunt, and I can also shift as smooth as a baby's ass.

While I can somewhat agree with your sentiment, I hardly think that having a police officer administer driving tests is police state material.

>a police officer administer driving tests is police state material.

Yes it is. It really is. You do not need a civil servant with a gun to take you on a fucking driving test.

>I hardly think that having a police officer administer driving tests is police state material.
no wonder you want to be an uber driver
youre a fuckin masochist

By the time you pay for fuel, matainance/repairs, and tax, you aren't going to make any money doing this. You'd be better off buying a lawn mower and doing gardening for old people

Literally this. But I don't care because youtube.com/watch?v=v8nyGzOLsdw.

My best recommendation is to buy the cheapest decent looking beater you can. I don't know how your city is, but Uber completely wrecks your tires, wheels and suspension. I've had to change blown shocks twice already. I'd suggest getting a ~2007 to 2010 Corolla or Civic, don't get bigger cars because 80% of rides are with a single person only, rides with full occupancy are a minority. Manual or automatic doesn't matter really, just make sure you can drive smoothly if you pick manual. I'd also suggest also buying a toolset and a jack and learn to wrench, it will save you a shit ton of cash changing brake pads and oil.
Don't buy into the Uber XL or UberBlack/Uberwhatever meme, it's not worth it. Consider opting out of UberEats or UberPool, they're really shitty but you have to check how bad it is in your particular market.

Essentials IMO:
- Check if your insurance allows ridesharing.
- GOOD phone mount. You don't want to fiddle with it to keep it in place while driving.
- GOOD charger: get one from a place with free returns, if it doesn't charge while using GPS and screen on it's useless and try another one. Look for Fast Charge ones with at least 2A.
- Data plan, 5 GB is enough in my experience. Be sure to download the local map with Google Maps to save data.
- Dashcam isn't an essential, but it's a very good thing to have if you have a confrontation with a passenger.

Try to learn the hotspots in your city, the mayor drinking/partying hubs, the areas with the densest young to middle aged population, etc. All the areas that ensure you trips. Don't be afraid to cancel people taking longer than 5 min, don't be afraid to refuse trips to place that are too far away if you don't want to take them.

I drive Uber with manual transmission with no problems at all.

What state are you in? I've never heard of staties giving driving exams.

I'm getting mixed messages here. If I get into Uber should I use the car I have or go buy some base model 2010 Civic just for Ubering?

Tools and wrenching I'm good on. Also data, and I'll have a dashcam.

Took my exam in Arkansas.

Sorry, I didn't read the part on which you already had the car.

Ignore that part then. But do buy tools and learn to maintain your car yourself. I don't know about the Fiesta but in my Focus oil is stupid easy to change.

sign up but use a referal. i got $350 for my first 50 rides. there might be a better referal out there.

i think i make $1 per mile by the end of the day.

is it worth it? dont make it a full time job. it is tiring driving around. u get paid weekly. lyft took me 2 days to verify. uber took 2 weeks. so far i feel that the power zone/ multiplier payout is BS. u can try putting 5 hours per day.

drive nice and safe

Can you sign up using my referral code? I'm broke as shit right now, you'd greatly help me if you do

2841DCFVUE

There is no circumstance in which I would turn down wrenching on my car.

If I follow through with this, my plan is to go out every other Friday and Saturday night, try to catch some work rides early every other morning, and spend a lot of my time I'd otherwise be doing nothing productive sitting around downtown waiting for any ping.

Honestly, I'd be perfectly happy if I could net enough to pay my car payment + insurance every month.

Definitely use a civic, corolla or Camry

Camry is the new crown vic here in NYC, for good reason. They're quiet, comfortable and immortal.