/indie/ - Indie Games General

Last Thread : >What the fuck is this
/indie/ is the general for all indie games, such as LISA, Yume Nikki, OFF, Middens, Underrail, OneShot, Age of Decadence, Machinarium, DashBored, Vampire of the Sands, Braid, Limbo, Axiom Verge, Guacamelee, The Desolate Hope, Burrito Galaxy, Gone Home, Stardew Valley, etc. as well as other games that just don't fit in any other general such as Atelier, Rayman, Pillars Of Eternity, Rise Of Nations, and Valkyria Chronicles. Absorbed the /lite/ general some time ago.

Mobile or consoles, flash or unity, freeware or early access. This place is a home for the indie game community and indie and obscure games that don't have a home. So be free to talk and share all your hidden gems, forgotten games and starving devs here.

>Can I talk about games that already have a general?
We mostly discuss games that are not popular enough for their own threads (since they have no other home in Veeky Forums), however, all indie games are allowed. So talk about them if you want, but don't overdo it since you already have other generals for that.

>How can I contribute?
All we need right now is people to talk about their loved indie and miscellaneous games, so don't be afraid to post, bump and reply your fellow anons. Also we're looking for anons to make new pastebins/wikis/images and update the ones already made. And please give lots of feel, love, kind and nice to everyone, except namefags. And be sure to make a new thread if nobody else does.

>Recommendations
pastebin.com/ZbG0JPSn

>Booru
indiegame.booru.org

>Steam Group
steamcommunity.com/groups/indiegamesgeneral

Other urls found in this thread:

theyetee.com/cuphead/detail.php?itemid=CUPHEAD-TidingsofCuphead
store.steampowered.com/app/650670/Grimoire__Heralds_of_the_Winged_Exemplar/
youtube.com/watch?v=HM1lxVTS4hU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

first for cute niko

Help me remember the name of a game:

A bit like Rain World but it came out a few years ago, sidescroller where you control an animal with physics-based controls. Had a monochrome silhouette art style, somewhat like Knytt Underground.

have you checked out nifflas other games? guy who made knytt. he made a lot of games that are in the same style of knytt. theyre all on his website; many of them are free too.

Yeah, I know all about Nifflas games, since Within A Deep Forest. It's this one other game I'm trying to remember.

Fight Knight demo just came out. Are you enjoyng it?

I remembered it: Feist.

Where's Spiderbro?

yeah, i was suggesting maybe it was one of nifflas games. i have no idea otherwise. also bump

Saw some footage but I hope combat doesn't get tiring.

>mfw last thread's post count

That is a great image.

Interesting how Oneshot gives you the possibility to "replay" the whole game again from a fresh start after the solstice ending except Niko is only a memory which is displayed by Nikos sprite and avatar looking like a bad video recording.

Also quite interesting how the game itself is a character with the solstice content and even tamed.
The Solstice update really adds a lot to the world and game.

That picture is underrated.

Yeah but Niko's cute.

I am not sure you even read a word I wrote.

Mmmm? Sorry, I was too busy staring at niko and thinking I'd like to hug her and feed him pancakes.

theyetee.com/cuphead/detail.php?itemid=CUPHEAD-TidingsofCuphead
This christmas sweater looks iornically good. The plushies are also nice.

>Jill's cat can't actually talk, she was straight-up talking to herself

jill's lonely, okay

>her
>him
Make up your mind.

Which part would yu like to live the most?
Of course under the assumption the world was fixed.
Glen for me.

Refuge, you'd be safest from titans there

5 days until Grimoire is released

store.steampowered.com/app/650670/Grimoire__Heralds_of_the_Winged_Exemplar/

Here's a link to the superdemo (its a build from 4 years ago):

images.indiegogo.com/file_attachments/170199/files/20131101230731-GrimoireSuperDemoV15.exe?1383372451

so whats the big deal with this game?

It's the Boyhood of indie games.

Nine years in development.

so just a long development time?

What the other guys said, plus, it's a dungeon crawler of the variety I'm hungry for.

In other words: it's the Duke Nukem Forever of indie games.

Well this isn't going to end well. You could say things are going downwell if that's the case.

No, also a lot of drama around Sirotech and office orgies.

I was not expecting to like Vallhalla as much as I did. It was pretty much the first VN I ever played unless Ace Attorney counts as a VN.

Hollow Knight is pretty fun. The mantis boss fight was pretty cool.

Pretty sure AA does count. You should give 999 a try, it's a pretty cool VN that, has lots of puzzle solving and a mind bending plot.
They were indeed. Fuck the area they let you go to though.

Batter did nothing wrong

>fall asleep at an odd time
>the previous thread gets archived 10 minutes before I woke up

Damn it

youtube.com/watch?v=HM1lxVTS4hU

That ending hit certain people really hard. I can't think of another game that managed to have so definitive of an ending while also going out of its way to make sure you were incredibly attached to the main character before the ending.

It's been almost 6 weeks since I finished OneShot and I only stopped being sad about the ending a few days ago because VA-11 HALL-A drew me in. Now I'm sad because I got to the ending of that game. Not even because that game had an ending like OneShot's, but because I really wanted it to last a little longer.

At least you didn't feel the pain of coming to Veeky Forums to check out the thread and finding it as the last thread on page 10, unable to post in time to save it.

I found a OneShot thread on /v/ a few days ago and that actually happened when I tried to post in it.

If you find a thread dangerously close to death, don't waste time, bump it. You can write something better after.

Although it hurts when you arrive too late to do even that.

>I really wanted it to last a little longer.
It really felt like the game should have kept going for a little more. The rest of the world deserved at least some more closure.

If they made a sequel (and they could EASILY make a sequel due to how the story was handled) I would buy it in a heartbeat.

It was a bit different. I saw the page number was 10, but I am so used to Veeky Forums that I forgot threads go from [9->10->ded] very quickly on /v/.

I clicked refresh to confirm the thread still existed, typed a post, tried to post it, and then learned that I was seconds too late.

I was going to mash my keyboard and post to save the previous thread but captcha fucked me.
Same here. Do you know about the secret drink that gives you extra scenes? If you ever want to do a second playthrough in the future that's a little bit of encouragement

Does it involve giving the idol a tea like drink? I haven't done it, but I'll figure it out.

Nah, the Idol tea drink is something you do to get her ending I think. I was talking about a drink that you can make but isn't listed anywhere in the game. You serve it to specific people during the game and later on secret characters you've never seen before will show up at the bar. It's called the Flaming Moai

That doesn't reflect well on the actual game.

I had absolutely had no idea that the meeting with Gaby was going to end the plot right then and there until Veeky Forums for girls gave a completely out-of-character message directed towards the player. I thought the game would last for 5 chapters at the very least.

You're welcome

rotated image reuse/10

Nice.

niko has found a special spot in my heart

Apparently when asked if there were any plans for a sequel, the dev basically said "of course".

It isn't like OneShot in that it would be borderline impossible to make a direct sequel. I'm sure you'll get your Valhalla sequel eventually.

Am I a shallow cunt if the only reason I won't play Guacamelee is because of the memes?

Looking at the SGDQ run and it seems fun, but I really can't get over the memes and forced references.

>Am I a shallow cunt if the only reason I won't play Guacamelee is because of the memes?

Yes. Get over it or be a hipster

Yeah.

It's honestly not a particularly good game. It's very, very easy until the extreme lategame, the combat is shallow, so story is bleh.

The aesthetic is good and that's pretty much it.

See, I hate it too. I really, really hate how low they shot for their references.

That said, it otherwise looks like such a well-made game that I can't just hate it outright.

*the story is bleh

By "I hate it too" I mean the memes, not the game.

Cute

i bought it and plan to play soon. whats the combat like? its a metroidvania right? big map?

>i bought it
>its a metroidvania right?
Hoooly shit.

thats what i read about it here, and on steam and various other websites. is it not?

Anyone who'd purchase a game without being sure of which genre it is should be fucking gassed.

well i knew it said metroidvania on steam, and among here but genre titles on steam and the like can be misleading nowadays. anyways, it was 10 bucks so no big deal. i heard good things about it so i picked it up

It's pretty fun. Do expect to take a while to finish tho.

RIP Jerby and Hypr

None of the original colonists remain

...?
Have you modded it? I can't seem to be able to plant that much trees.

I don't think the save I'm using should be modded, but I did subscribe to a few.

Randy seems to really want me to die to animal attacks this game.

You probably have too many passive coolers. You don't need that much.
You don't have any sas anyway.

I thought I could bring the temperature down further but it seems to stay at 70, which is probably the setting. That was the first set of coolers so I'll tone it down.

Passive coolers can only lower the temperature to 15°c.
Making more of these only keeps it to 15. A shame you didn't ask you, you could have saved up some wood.

Don't hesitate to build corridors and airlocks to keep the temperature in check too. And keep using wood, stone is solid and not flammable, but takes more time to open.

Otherwise... nah, seems okay. Get yourself some food, praise the potatoes and the rice.

I put my colony pretty far from raiders, but I feel like that's my biggest problem. I'm working towards building guns and then I should be okay.
Was gonna use turrets but I don't like the idea of putting wires all the way out into the woods. Maybe I'll make limestone pathways for them.

Well, you're supposed to have pathways anyway. Both to speed up your colonists, and also to stop woodfires.

I was gonna say to make a dumping zone, but you have one.
See ya later, gonna sleep.

Thanks for the tips.

thats good, longer the better. how many hours have you put into it(assuming you play?)?

Is MidBoss any good? Worth $15?

I'm trying to help.

It wasn't sarcastic, sorry if it came off that way.

I just feel lonely. I can't talk about Seven Kingdoms 2 on /civ4xg/ because I'm just talking to myself, and while I played a lot of Rimworld, I never went really far.

Never unlocked the firearms, for example. I did unlock incinerator once, which you need, because you have a shitload of graves.

Sounds like you should pick up some new games to me.

>you have a shitload of graves
kek, I'm guessing you can't deconstruct them? I'll have more foresight for when I turn up the difficulty.

>Sounds like you should pick up some new games to me.
Yeah, but new games are all meh. Like, Oneshot is fun, but is it even a game? It feels more like an interactive book or a walking simulator than a game.
And don't get me started about strategy games.

You can deconstruct them, but your colonists are retards, so the moment you dig the body up to incinerate it, they'll immediately bury it again.

>Oneshot is fun, but is it even a game?
Ehh I wouldn't say in the traditional sense, but it's still a game to me. Try some new genres of games. I recently tried out some Cataclysm: Dark Days ahead, but that's a discussion for /rlg/.

>colonists are retards
I agree.

Oh yeah, I recommended Cataclysm Dark Days Ahead to a friend who liked Rimworld. Since he mostly played the Call of Cthulhu mod, I figured he would like it.

And colonists are so dumb it's infuriating.
I stopped counting how often I had one carry some steel to make concrete floor, fail to build it, and walk aaaaaaall the way back to the stockpile to recover one more steel while another was recovering the steel he just dropped.

I didn't like CDDA actually. Seemed lacking in depth which is what I was expecting from the genre. Then again I only played for about 5 hours and most of that was learning how to navigate the UI/checking the wiki.

Anyway I'll be off. Goodnight /indie/.

Um. If you find it light, I'm worried.
Oh well, see ya later.

Like I said, I didn't play much of it, so my experience was with the early game.

Those are not walls but mere landmasses seperated by water.

Mod the memes out with images of cats or something.
Pic NOT related

It looks really good but 15 would be too much from my view.

Yes it is definitely a game of the puzzle genre. The story it tells would also not work in any other medium but a game.

But there's not much to play. In a way, it reminds me of Ib, because while there are puzzles and riddles, they're far from being interesting.

twitch.
tv/gamesdonequick
Knytt Stories is up. Only game worth seeing.

I'll probably replay it soon. I wish it was easier to make myself forget most of it before experiencing the game again, though. Reminds me of how long I have to wait to replay Ace Attorney games.