/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Tourney edition
Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Standalone is out of date, use Starter Pack for 43.05):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0
github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist/releases/

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40
Modanon's Mods: dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=3558

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/yca6UsllwYs
youtube.com/watch?v=zaSZE194D4I
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12897
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I wish to eat of the forgotten beast in the future, but right now just the naked mole dog
how do I go about slaughtering/butchering non-tame animals? I have one in a cage right now.

The horn blows, and wasting no time Apollo readies and fires his crossbow in one swift movement. In vain, however, as Lava Lad, in an incredible display of skill, raises his armoured fists and deflects the bolt, letting it spin harmlessly away! Before the shocked cheetah-man can even think about firing again, the erstwhile hero expertly smashes his iron-cast fist into the cheetah-mans leg, snapping the thin bones and dropping the feline like a sack of potatoes! Apollo has barely hit the earth before a second punch flies into his nose, smearing it all over his snout and causing the cheetah-man's snarl to be cut short as his head is snapped backwards! While Apollo desperately tries to position himself in a defensive stance, Lava Lad buffets him back and forth, each strike expertly placed to cause a maximum amount of damage, and soon the silver crossbow falls from nerveless paws. The slender cheetah man is beaten viciously by his larger opponent, his bones creaking and breaking with every punch, his own attacks easily dodged. Nauseous and dizzy with pain, the poor beast mewls pitifully and tries to crawl away, but is checked and kept in place by the unrelenting barrage of Lava Lad's fists. Finally, to the relief of certain members in the audience, the unfortunate cheetah-man falls unconscious. Pausing for a moment, Lava Lad removes Apollo's helm, almost gently, and takes careful aim. One final strike is all it takes, and the cat-man's brains are smeared all over the arena.

SAVAGE

man these 2 elementals are ones to watch I think

>bringing a hub to a fist fight

Justice wins again!

looks like a shot bounced right off his chest and broke at point blank range as he ran up too. brutal

AHAHAHA!
I will purchase ALL of the TowerTech™ consumable items with this fortune I've made!

Especially this Plump-Z™ that is proven to increase muscles mass by 200%!

whoops

well, at least we stil have the battle royale. RIP

>well, at least we stil have the battle royale. RIP
29 other managers thinking exactly this in the coming days

There's also an amethyst man who will fight tomorrow I think.

I guess Apollo got a little too...hot under the collar.

I think Herne will kill him though.

any news on the new release?

next week

>Victim was found convulsing and vibrating uncontrollable before dying horrendously to a exploding hearth and bleeding glowing blood from his anus

>Towertecg refutes all claim that product was cause of death

>tfw you wait for the next thread and steal first post to get maximum exposure for your question, but tourneyanon takes second post, completely annihilating any chance people will even read yours

Well done Lava Lad! In an impressive display of skill, you have defeated the armed and dangerous Apollo with nothing but heroism and the fire in your belly. You also have 249 points to spend on your next round, may you and your manager prepare wisely! Apollo the cheetah man, you still have a chance to claw your way back to the land of the living. May the strength of your bowstring not break in the meanwhile!

For the last of today's fights, we have Dick Ass Thief, a human... thief, against Mr Worldwide, a stylish, yet controversial figure in his own right. There are rumours he moonlights as a bard under a different name, but we have yet to find conclusive evidence that this is the case.

Dick Ass Thief has already made himself fairly unpopular with both random members of the audience and the other gladiators, by stealing, cheating, lying, and generally being a dick. None have so far opposed him directly, but he's received numerous death threats and warnings. Uncaring and always ready to wield his copper dagger, this human has a nasty streak a mile wide, and is keen to indulge it.

Mr Worldwide has announced that his real reason for joining the tourney is to discover or earn a pair of artifact pants. Perhaps an amateur of the dwarven pants-making arts, or perhaps just hoping that the object of his quest will be magical, and grant him some form of power. In the meanwhile, he'll be relying on his barbed and wickedly sharp steel spear.

Place your bets folks, the fight shall begin shortly!

>not seeing this exact scenario happening
laffing at you

>literally won the fight in the first 2 punches
what the fuck

A -copper wheelbarrow- on Dick-Ass Thief!

These elementals are OP.

Well shit.
My boy did good.

We'll see. Iron men are hollow so knocking limbs off isnt actually very hard.

magma men I have no knowledge of really, but a cheetah with a xbow isnt a huge test.

Noice

fug that's nice

10/10 Not even mad my character's dead. This makes it all worth it.

haha based

Fist of the magma star

I bet two gold coins on dick ass thief simply because he's human.

>Actually planning out fort and making it comfy for the Dwarves

I have improved my architecture. That was satisfying!

I bet 5 cotton socks on Dick Ass.

absolutely amazing and brutal

all my XXleatherXX on mr. worldwide, the payout must be 10 to 1

I bet 10 barrels of dwarven rum on Mr Worldwide

1000 Γ of goblinite on Mr. Dick Ass.

A pair of lightly singed cheetahman leather trousers on the thief.

Three bins of exceptional silver trinkets on Dick Ass.

too soon

Mr Worldwide, in typical goblin fashion, wastes no time in taking the offensive by thrusting his spear at the ass-dicking thief before him. Dick-Ass thief, however, brilliantly sidesteps and scores a terrible blow against Mr Worldwide's head! His ear hanging by a thread and blood turning his green skin ochre, the goblin furiously redoubles his efforts! Laughing and taunting dickishly, DAT dodges and parries, but in an skilled reversal, he is stabbed deeply in the leg! As his hated enemy tumbles tp the floor, it is Mr Worldwide's turn to cackle, baring his pointed teeth. At least, until the laughter turns into a hiss of pain as his hand is fractured by a lightning fast blow from the prone human. The two trade blows, neither gaining an obvious advantage, but both becoming more and more bloody and worn down. It is the goblin however, who lands the more serious of blows, managing to plunge his spear into Dick-Ass Thief's neck! The tissue of his spine torn to ribbons, the mortally wounded human drops his dagger, the weapon helplessly out of reach. Cruelly, Mr Worldwide takes his time in finishing of his opponent. Stabbing him in the arms, legs, hands, stomach and all over his body. Now screaming in pain, Dick-Ass-Thief is pierced over and over, his life's essence running thickly from his body mixing with the dark, brackish goblin blood. Eventually, bored with his twisted sport, Mr Worldwide finishes off his foe with a direct strike to the base of the human's skull. Wrenching the steel free, the goblin shakes grey matter off his weapon, before raising it to the cheering and booing crowd exultantly!

It was inevitable.

Yeah, the hide hasn't even had time to cure yet.

As expected, Mr Worldwide will have his pants

Okay, I now have some silver, new trousers, goblinite, and some socks!

Holy shit.
Ya boy Mr.Worldwide doesn't fuck about.
youtu.be/yca6UsllwYs

>Urist Shoddygambles has been found dead, drowned in XXleatherXX

Shit. I liked those pants.

Goddamn goblin scum

Well it's not like DAT was a good guy, but still.

>Well it's not like DAT was a good guy, but still.
He was still a human
>2humans KOed today

The Master take you, I will have the silver back you coin-grubbing filthy sub-race.

Victory theme: youtube.com/watch?v=zaSZE194D4I

And so ends the last of today's fights. Well fought, Mr Worldwide, you have 226 points to spend on your upgrades for the next round, hopefully your quest for the artifact pants you seek shall end as judiciously as your last fight. Well, the thief got what was coming to him. His dickery is still not quite over just yet, however, as he may just yet steal the breath of life from the cold depths of death, should he prevail in the battle royale.

Tomorrow we have some very exciting matchups. Two literal animals will be competing, for whatever reason it is that motivates creatures who act more on instinct than reason. Goodnight, dear members of the audience, and sleep well, cherished gladiators for tonight may well be your last. See you all tomorrow!

500 clams on Stabo the Crabo

is it 4 more tomorrow or all of the remaining ro32?
Thanks for todays matches btw, nothing as goat as trihardin vs oleme but fun matches all.

I'LL GET MY GOBLINITE AND CIRCUS TICKET BACK.

TOMORROW I WILL SHOW THEM.

perhaps

>I...I'll win it all back
>I was just... unlucky!

My boy did it! The hunt for pants continues! Gg dickass

>order militia to kill caged mole dog
>they parade out to the entrance, shuffle around the cage in confusion for a while
>assign mole dog to pasture
>dorf comes along and starts dragging it outside
>militia follows obediently a step behind
>expedition leader-turned-bowdwarf decides this behaviour is demeaning and bashes the moledog with a bow halfway to the pasture
>all hell breaks loose, mole dog running wild, militia chasing with bows and no ammo, nearby goblin playing yakety sax on her concrete obok
this game is silly

Very nice, cant wait to see how Jackson fare on his quest for humanity and vengeance

Reposting in this thread because desperation.

I am the author of the Fantastic Races mod, shown here: dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12897

While the mod is more or less functioning, I am having trouble with two castes in the Manat race. I have given these two natural abilities, but they simply refuse to work. I have spent the last two and a half months on and off trying to solve this problem, with no results, although the natural abilities of the other races are working fine. So I've decided I'm just going to ask for help. These are my two issues:

1. The Manat fleshsmith caste from my mod has two syndrome inducing gas attacks with various symptoms. They are both nonfunctional at the moment and I do not know how to make them work.
2. The Manat face caste has an ability to transform into a fleshy cocoon using scripts ripped from the Werebeast transformation ability, as a means to regenerate limbs and recover damage, but this ability does not function and I do not know how to fix it.

Both these creatures and the non-functioning abilities added to them can be viewed simply by downloading the mod and looking in the Manat creature raws. If someone helps me with one of these problems, I will make a custom race and civ for them, within reason (IE nothing impossible with the current modding tools or something incredibly complex like a creature with dozens of castes). If one person fixes both of these problems, I will make two civs for them. The race/civ(s) can be anything you desire so long as they adhere to the qualifications described above. However, before I get to work on your reward, I will need some kind of proof that you actually have the abilities working, such as a webm of them in action (since you have no reason to trust me enough to post the raws outright, I assume).

You tame them first

Our service is 19.99 dollar an hour plus taxes, on weekend we only work half shift.

I know you're joking but I'd probably take you up on that if you weren't. You cannot comprehend how frustrated I am with this. I even have another creature with a werebeast-based ability and it works just fucking fine for him. I even took that ability and tried to reverse-engineer it to work for my Manat caste, and it didn't fucking work. I have no idea why.

>tame forgotten beasts
for real?

>not opening spoilers
Tame the mole dog.
For an FB you would need to let it out and kill it traditionally, unless I'm wrong since I've never managed to trap one.

I was thinking of normal animals, like crundles and shit. Forgotten beasts can be butchered even when killed by the military

Have these tournaments really just proven that Slashing weapons > Blunt Weapons

>"What a dick," goes through DAT's mind

Leaked photo of Wilbo training.

How did you come to that conclusion.

Nobody has fought a fully armored opponent yet, the closest one is Ulric and he doesn't have greaves and a breastplate.

Everyone in round 1 has garbage armor, of course slashing weapons have an advantage here.

>test bridge for first time
>10 second delay
>sometime crosses over just as it's brought up and breaks their legs
uh

>put bridge back down
umm

your dwarves have just inventented the atom smasher. congratz.

So I tunneled my main staircase down into the ceiling of a cave. No biggie, I thought, since you can't get into the staircase from below without an up stair down there, but now a cave spider is in my fort, so I clearly don't understand things properly. Anyway, I've been away for awhile so I've forgotten the exact solution to a problem like this. I don't think you can remove the lowermost up/down stair since remove construction doesn't work on it?

did no one tell this user that bridges are the single most deadly force in all of DF

You construct an up stair on top of the lowest up/down stair

Constructing an up stair where the bottom up/down stair is should be enough.
>not wanting comfy spiderbros in your fort
shit taste

hatch cover

>Thinking anyone on Veeky Forums would ever help someone

fuck off back to whatever normie site you came from and stop asking to be spoonfed you fucking faggot

You know, I'm starting to think that spending money on armor isn't as good as spending points on dodging or weapon skill. Getting a full suit of armor costs a lot of points, since it has to be atleast made of iron/bronze, you could buy copper armor, but if the guy you're fighting has an iron/bronze weapon you might as well just throw your armor out the window, those weapons are going to cut through your armor like butter and there is a high chance that your opponent will have a weapon of that quality. All this means that you can't upgrade your skills much since you won't have many points left, and that's pretty bad

And even if you do have a full set of armor, that won't stop all the damage, especially if you're fighting someone quite skilled and with above average strength, like a dwarf or a goblin. It is quite likely to get your muscles torn by the force of the attacks even if the attack is deflected, even copper weapons are capable of that against steel armor. Sure, a torn muscle isn't as bad as a missing limb, but that limb is still unusable, and that is fucking awful, especially if it's the arm that holds the weapon.

Oh and if you're fighting someone with a silver or steel blunt weapon, you're shit outta luck, if you get hit by that you're gonna have to say goodbye to your bones.

All in all, you're better off with a shield.

>one tile wide hallway
When did Toady introduce hobbit holes?

Yeah, shields are overpowered, but ranged users and 2 handed weapon users can't use them

Yeah, in those cases then getting armor might not be a bad idea, but I still think spending your points on something like dodging or weapon skill is better.

Honestly, if someone was small-sized or has some points in bank, they could just buy a candy sword for 240 points and go full glass cannon with a fucking lightsaber.

should armour be cheaper to make it viable?

>Cheaper armour would make people take less pure dodging/weapon skill
>Encourage blunt weapons
>Lengthen fights between people with edged weapons

Yeah, that's a possibility, shit, that's why I'm so interested in Crabo, if he wins, what happens next might be really funny.

I don't know, maybe, haven't really thought about a way to balance it.

That was pretty damn awesome, I was outside cutting some lumber for a new pair of drumsticks and missed the first few matches apparently.

I'll check it out in a sec for ya.

Well then, any predictions for tomorrow?

>Be new, really want to try out glazing
>Embark on a good location with clay identified as a bonus
>Luckily I can purchase Bituminous Coal which will help with metal and clay industry
>Buy shit ton of Bituminous Coal, two Rock Salts, a Tetrahedrite ore and one coke
>Make 3 picks and an axe
>Dig below for stone to turn into blocks and build with
>mfw I see a red floor
>mfw it is fire clay and I can entirely skip glazing
>I have learned enough from the previous nine forts, my fort design has improved, I finally feel like I can construct a well organised fort
Can't wait to actually get to the FUN

Gladiatrix, Urist McNudistm Satbo, Herne

Only 1J and 1L are in doubt

Expecting Gladiatrix, Urist, Stabo, Herne.
Hoping for Gladiatrix, Gorilla, Stabo, Purple Fist.

>tfw you aren't sure the Gladiatrix will come out on top but take pride in her being the favorite nonetheless

I gotcha bro, for the different gas attacks, you've got it declaring a material (POISON) and pointing it at a template which doesn't exist (SAPPING_VAPOR) so instead try this:
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SAPPING_VAPORS:CREATURE_EXTRACT_TEMPLATE]

2pick, Gorilla, Wilbo and P-Fist.

Double Digger, Urist McNudist, Stabo, Purple First. Except for Stabo they're practically coinflips though.

Cabinets or chests worth placing in bedrooms?
Can they also be placed next to a bed (making it so visually the dwarf has to sleep on top of the cabinet)?

>tfw Stabo wins and becomes an unstoppable killing machine
Can't wait.

If he wins I wanna see him fight against Sten.

This is my second Fort I've attempted to put some effort into. I thought that having the North side of it have the industries and the associated workers live there while having the Nobles live in the South side.

This feels strangely unaesthetic though, probably the fucked up stairs.

I want Stabo to win tournament