pastebin.com/V7MzidCu

>News
Angband 4.1.0 has been released:
angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?p=122044#post122044
URR (non-)update:
ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/2017/06/24/burnout-and-the-future/

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua)

Faulted thread:

first for x0m

4th win. I'm getting better. Playing chei definitely helps with improvement, and it keeps things a little more interesting

Come play online, friend.
Chei a shit by the btw.

If ponyposter reall left and venereal disease got banned for being excessively obnoxious, who will keep /rlg/ alive now?

I will do my best, but I do have a job now.

I legit can't. My net is so terrible that I get dropped from the server, no matter which one I try. When I am connected its like 30 seconds between turns. I wish I could.

no bully pls chei is bro tier

>craft knife spear with damaged stick
>comes out undamaged
>gets damaged from use
>disassemble and get my damaged stick back
>reassemble
>perfect condition again
Magic.

God damn it. I just finished a Nemelex Wizard, I wanted to try something else (Maybe Kiku? Sif? Vehemut?)
But finding this fucker on Dungeon 2 makes it awfully tempting.
I think I might just save this file and restart, using it when I want to play another nemwiz.

found the rat

for the guy who was asking about mellis, gods in Ivan get angry based on the difference between them and the other gods you pray to, and some get angry faster than others. as long as you start them off with some offerings they tend to stay happy if you just keep praying every 2.5 hours. personally I like getting mellis Lori seges dulcis and Atavus since they tend to stay happy after the first set of offers. you're limited by the alters you find but polymorph can help make different ones
posted on my phone for you rlg

Nemelex fucking sucks.

Not in version .14 he doesn't, look at the image again.

Nemelex fucking sucked in 0.14 more than he sucks now.

Why? Please enlighten me.

What're the differences between Angband and DCSS?

Inventory-clogging sacrifice-based/piety upon exploration god which requires ?/c spam until you've memorized every card and manages to inject the """fun""" of
>you miss
>you miss
>you hit.
>you hit but do no damage
>you miss
>you hit!!!!!!
into evoking charge-based items.

Nemelex is the fucking prime case for why the
>don't remove it, just keep it in and improve it, it can't be that hard
meme is a retarded argument.

Granted: he's powerful now, because you get shitloads of summon decks and summon decks are retardedly strong, but he still fucking sucks to play.

You are incorrect.

Wrong, idiot.

No.
Play MiBe or don't play DCSS at all

Sure thing, OTabber

i can only worship xom the other gods are boring

Angband is really old-school and hard to play because there are very few quality of life improvements compared to crawl
Poschengband is a much better fork if you want to play a *band

otherwise, think of crawl as /v/ and angband as /jp/

>scroll of brand weapon turn the demon whip into a vampiric one
I'm probably winning this one

>hard to play because there are very few quality of life improvements
isn't Vainilla pretty good on this front?
it's just the variants like PCB that forked off of it a million years ago and haven't ported over any of the QOL shit since then

If Crawl is /v/ and Angband is /jp/, then what're the Veeky Forums and /m/ of roguelikes?

whoa my bad, I forgot elona is the /jp/ of roguelikes. Now I'm not sure what the board angband corresponds to? Veeky Forums? /a/?

the Veeky Forums of roguelikes is definitely dnd first edition adventure modules

Tomb of Horrors roguelike when?

incursion is Veeky Forums
gearhead is /m/

What's Caves of Qud, then? It seems pretty fun desu.

reddit

But I thought DCSS was the reddit of roguelikes?

I thought that would be Ivan
>DUDEBANANAS

All anons share the same opinions and agree with eachother, yes you are correct: it is impossible to understand how what one user says might contradict another's statement because we are all basically the same person. Fuck off you dumb cunt.

>replies without reading the reply chain

caves of qud is more popular on somethingawful than reddit tbqh

Qud is SA
Cogmind is Reddit

Qud isn't pretentious enough to be SA.

quddev is literally a goon

Qud isn't pretentious enough to be SA.

Not just a normal goon either, a moderator of several boards or something.

???? no he isn't
i think he + cogmind dev are moderators of the roguelikedev board on reddit though

Hmm.
Well I wonder how you know this.

no clue senpai

>You hear a distant screeching!

Following that logic, you must browse SA.

DESU someone posted a screen here of one of his posts and I thought I remembeted him being a mod. Agon seemed so certain though (and now we know why).

Egg on my face for giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Are spoilered bogdanoffs the new rick roll?
I think they are so epic.
Epic enough to be included as a race in slex? We must consult the amy.

the bogdanoffs are ok but not as great as masturbating to crazy frog

Welp, my razorgirl died. She survived longer than I thought she had any right to.

Even freezing and terribly wounded and with her arms broken already on day 2 (and 0 medical skill to make a splint with) she tore through a zombie soldier, a brute, and a shocker, as well as some other miscellaneous Zs, stunlocking them and slicing them to bits.
She was suffering teleport sickness from the damned Mi-go, however, and she suddenly teleported through the wall of a library I came to loot, and that's how she discovered there was a roadblock with turrets set up on the front side. Even then, she managed to run further than I expected before she died from the hail of bullets.

Apparently that razorboy/girl profession is pretty decent because she blew right through a number of nasty situations where most of my early characters would have died on the spot. That subdermal alloy armor made her hard to kill, and adding slashing damage on top of martial arts is fun.
7/10 maybe not the most optimized starting character I've played, but way fun.

Who is this guy? Can I get a quick rundown on him?

Caves of Qud is on sale. Is it fleshed out enough to be good, or would it be better to wait until it releases in full?

The latter.

Just started DCSS, going with a Gargoyle Earth Elementalist.

Anything I should know?

Walk away from monsters that look dangerous whenever possible.
Rest to recover your MP after fights.
It's important to pick up stones to fuel sandblast, a ridiculously good and mana efficient spell.
Don't use sandblast against enemies wearing heavier armour, use stone arrow or Rapid Deconstruction for that.
Eat corpses of dudes after killing them before eating your rations.
Train only earth with a tiny bit of conjurations, fighting, and dodging. Get enough spellcasting to have spell levels to memorize all your spells.
Do not underestimate passwall, it is an extremely good escape spell if you know the layout of the level.
Petrify is extremely good, either use it to escape from single foes, block corridors, or petrify a nearby monster, then when its friends come by, Rapid Deconstruction it up to hurt the friends and heavily damage the petrified guy.
Stick to armour which is lighter than ring mail, try to keep your spell failure rates lower than 10%, and ideally lower than 4%.
Pray at a vehumet or okawaru altar when you find one.

Hope that helps, good luck, don't die.

How do I tell which ones have armour?

Bad threads should die. That was a bad thread full of shitposts.

Press 'x', move your cursor over the monster, and it will list what the monster is wearing/wielding. You can also press 'v' for more information. I recommend doing this a lot if you are new. Knowing what monsters are capable of is important. Mainly only humanoids wield weapons.

Oh also, if you see an orc, try and lure it around a corner. Orcs often spawn in packs, and one early orc monster is the orc priest, who can hit you for up to 17 damage (which ignores AC and magic resistance) whenever you have him in view. This is extremely dangerous for a gargoyle who trades HP for really strong natural AC.

You want to have them in sight for as short a time as possible, and be hitting them with spells whenever that are.

Welp, just got nuked by an Orc priest, you weren't kidding haha

I told you not to die user. Why did you die?
Why did you betray me?

I did my best, I'm just bad :(

Okay, I forgive you. As long as you try your best and learn from your mistakes, I will always be here to help you out and answer your questions.

Chur, I'm trying again

Pretty good ride desu.

Are you playing online or locally?

Locally

How the hell to capture balls work in poschengband? Game is so vague I'm scared to blow all my cash just to test them out.

>tfw you accidentally download the masters of PosChengBand, GearHead 1, and GearHead 2 and have no idea how to compile them or what to do with them

wield in a weapon slot
Activate
aim at capturable monster
capture them
activate again to release

Learning to compile will be the greatest non-gameplay related decision in your entire roguelike career desu.

buying tips on how to compile

Does this make them into pets or is it just to get bounties?

Damn, I missed the fun. At least I agree with him on Snake, which is a fucking abomination and my least liked location in the game, save for extended.

Minmay seems to have a specific vision of the game and he's smart enough to provide arguments for this vision. He's also autistic enough to be completely sure that he's right and you're wrong, so there's the problem. At least his autism does some good things sometimes, like his code dives to explain some mechanics and formulas of Crawl, and the code base of Crawl isn't exactly the most readable one in the world.

How important is stealth for (octopode) casters?
I imagine being able to walk around a few corners and having enemies forget about you, letting you rest up your mana again, is pretty powerful.
But I'm a badplayer and don't know how useful stealth is in general for non-stabbers.

Stealth is equally useful for anyone. Want to avoid that adder on D:2? Here you go. Want to avoid that caustic shrike pack in Depths? Here you go. Want to avoid those two fiends over there in the random Pan level? Stealth to the rescue.

Basically, stealth is tremendously useful very early on, then its usefulness decreases for anything that isn't a stabber as the game goes (and carrying the orb halves your stealth anyway), then it's useful once again in Pan and to lesser extent in Hells.

That said, casters make a lot of noise on their own, so remember to lure things away from unexplored territory unless you want to attract more things at the same time. By the way, the noise meter is a great addition to the game.

Hexer guy from Hep is pretty rad, managed to hex even orb guardians.

Interesting tech.

oh i guess i should have taken the photograph when it was confused and not dead

What's the recommended terminal font for playing ascii roguelikes? I like the font to be somewhat good looking at big sizes

I was using DejaVu for a long time since it has outstanding unicode plane coverage, however, I am using Fira now (see ) and liking it quite a bit.
Many people go with ubuntu mono, it's a great font with good character support and comes standard on pretty much everything.

I also like Liberation, but a lot of people seem to dislike it for some reason and the character support is not great.

Easy come easy go ;_;

>die
>immediately remember i have something i could have used to avoid the situation in the first place

Amy here. What the heck is a "bogdanoff" even supposed to be? Are they special in any way? Any specific techniques, resistances or something?

Grey draconian with ring of ice in inventory in need of spell advice. Where do I go from this? I've got a lovely bunch of utility now, but I'm clueless on the effectiveness of higher level spells (because I splat around lair always)

Don't you recognize them from TV? Otherwise you should ask for a quick rundown I suppose

Ice Form is much better than people give it credit for.
- No casting penalties, and since it melds armor, you may actually get better spell chance if you wear something heavier than a robe.
- You can cast Ozocubu's Armor on top of it for some reason.
- Not just rC+, but rC+++. Also rPois, 20% HP and enough AC to not make the loss of robe + aux armor AC noticeable at all, making it possibly a defensive boost spell for casters.
- Doesn't even lower EV for large races.
- Brings your move speed to 1.0, meaning it makes frogs and nagas actually faster, like Spider Form.
- Makes you swim, deep water included, so you can kite monsters into water where they will fumble their attacks or use it to run away.
- Raw damage per aut is the same as statue form, without counting the freezing brand bonus.
- Freezing brand slows a lot of things in Lair, including hydras.

Hmm, simulacrum+bolt of cold+metabolic englaciation @1139 gold or book of undeath (simulacrum+dchan+recall) @1040 gold?
Thoughts?
Am an ogre with highest skills throwing staves necro fighting hexes and a staff a death.

I mean I could also go for invisibility, but that's a cowardly spell for tiny losers.

What books do you have?

Book of conjurations, book of minor magic, book of air, sif muna's volume of good luck.
Spells I can memorize are in the bottom right of

You want IMB and swiftness.
Throw icicle is a decent single target conjuration, but nothing special.

I'll work on getting those, thanks.
But what makes IMB more valuable than Force Lance?

Air spells are a waste because of your apt. Just get IMB or Throw Icicle (latter is better but useless against rC+ monsters) and train some fighting skills (weapon, fighting, dodging) in the meantime. Alternatively you can get neither of these and rely on Fulminant Prism while waiting for later Vehumet gifts, but if you say you're bad, you'd probably do better with switching Prism with one of those mentioned above.

>tfw nobody touched my OpEn for a month or two
Aww..

Force lance is a fun spell, but its best element is the pushback, not the damage. I'm not saying "don't get it", but if you want to do damage to dudes, you should grab IMB.

Swiftness is, no joke, one of the best spells in the game. Use it to escape from dudes, use it to reposition to a hallway or some shit, use the fuck out of it on the orb run. It's amazing. Just don't use it unless you expect most of your next 15 or so turns to be movement turns.

How come good rougelikes have odd control scemes or poor UI?

Not saying their bad, or not useable. But why not have them made easier to use?