/CCG/ - Classic Car General

/CCG/ - Classic Car General

Sleeping Pontiac edition.

Generic copy/pasta incoming:

>Cars are considered classic at 25 years old, but a vehicle really needs that certain something, to be classic.

>Everybody has their own taste, enter if it's of age or rarity.

>Post your classic, your work on it, your hackery, and get advice.

>Any and all discussion about classics welcome, but may not necessarily generate responses, don't get butthurt.

>Any and all classics welcome regardless of nationality.

>Classic shitbox > modern shitbox.

>You will inevitably spend twice your budget, no exceptions unless you mint your own hash coins.

Other urls found in this thread:

sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/1960-ford-falcon/6369889031.html
classiccars.com/
youtu.be/94dcjJ3XJAo?t=44s
eastwood.com/eastwood-heavy-duty-anti-rust-in-black.html
dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/1962-shop-van-truck-dodge/6362027787.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Anyone want some tacos?

Started work on this '68 Mustang. Tbh I'm in over my head and I have little to no idea what I'm doing but it's incredibly fun.

>tfw your new carb cost almost half what you paid for the car
at least it runs... for now...

Anyone here have a Oldsmobile diesel?

They look like the perfect victims for restoration. Plenty of wagons with blown up 350's with low miles just sitting in storage.

I know a goodwrench 350 motor would probably work but a 6.2/6.5 is a bolt on swap and much more easily obtainable, plus dat turbo.

Update on 67 impala
>take it to a shop to have an oil leak fixed (suspecting rear main)
>after a few days i get a call from the shop
>"hey coastie, we got your engine pulled... can you come by to discuss some things?"
>pic related, mfw
>go there expecting a cracked block or something
>"hey coastie, its leaking from everywhere.. here is a list of all we suggest doing while the block is out and our price since youre a loyal customer that we know is a broke enlisted

(Continued)

-Rear main
-Front main
-oil pan gasket
-timing chain cover gasket
-intake manifold gasket
-valve cover gaskets
-front and tail transmission seals
-adjust my shift times
-tune and rebuild my carb
-replace every line and hose for the engine/trans
-paint engine and valve covers
-clean and tune carb
-new fluids
-fix speedo
-add a tach and temp guage (that i brought)

All for the total price of labor and parts for *drum rolls*

$800-900.

Pic is the impala with trans and engine on the ground

Im parting out my 89 RS to buy a new project. Ive got a 86 Camaro lined up but im starting the like the idea of putting my 454 into a 4 door Sonoma

Bumping with another classic from o'riellys.

If you ever need to find a classic, always check your parts store!

also, since im here. Does anybody know how i can get a Borg Warner T5 manual to work on said 454. I dont have much money to work with and i have this as leftover from the 89, figured i could possibly get use from it rather than throw it out

My dad had one. he bought it new (funny thing is we live in europe and he bought it in Yugoslavia inGM dealerships). Grat cars, american cars were really something else and great lovely machines, too bad in the late 90s and early 00s you produced some really shitty products and now unfortionately theres a bad rep about new american vehicles which are great again. Our ex Olds delta is still on the road today, too bad it's not in our family anymore. Anyway good luck with your future project.

Nice 67 impala.

I do dream of owning one, only for supernatural feels.

Whole reason i bought it. Once its running right (gotta fix a brake leak), its all gonna be work to get it to look like the show.

Post car or not, I'd still own. Hope to see your progress on here, I have my dream of owning a XW falcon first up so after that I'll be hunting for one of those.

That seems about right as far as costs go if not a little on the cheap side

Forgot to ask, What did you end up paying for it?

Bought it for 3850. 0 rust, but interior is kinda bad and needed new tires.

Damn, They go for 20-30k in Aus.

I might have to import one from america then.

Nice, that's not a bad deal at all coastie. Damn that car looks good!

My crusty mechanic buddy replaced all brakes and gaskets in the '65 for around $600. I rebuilt the trans, carb and replaced hoses myself to save a penny.

All in all I'm into that car less than $3k and about 3-4 hours of time if you don't count car washes and detailing. Lucky for me the interior was pristine. Just need to replace that front bumper and repaint the wheels

Here's a pic of the missus with the ride.

Soooo.... she single....?

Jk, good looking car!

Sadly im stretching myself getting this thing restored by next october

Shit i wish our parking spaces were that big at orielly's, normally I'll walk down to Napa because its on the end of the next block from my house and they dont have parking, but they know me by name and give me an employee discount.

Dangit OP you forgot
>It's perfectly acceptable to use RTV silicone, ignore the haters.

That carb is what I run in my car. Once you get it adjusted to where she likes, you'll be running great!

The carb I had before was an eddy but it was pretty beat up and after trying to get it working good for a month i gave up. The new one is running great and i haven't even adjusted it yet. Seems like it just needs a bit of fine tuning at this point

On another note, how can I keep my shiny new carb from looking like this one? Would cleaning it off every so often be enough?

Yeah, just wipe it down every so often and it should be fine. If you really want to double down on being super OCD with it and you don't mind, you can always unbolt it and soak it in warm water for a few minutes and make sure you really really dry it off, afterwards. I bought mine with the Eddy installed and the last guy treated her like shit and she was still not too bad looking, so you should be perfectly fine.

Yeah mine was beat to shit too, bunch of stripped screws and dings and stuff. I really want to keep this one in good shape so I guess I'll wipe it off whenever I get a chance

After fixing my square suburban and selling it, I said no more old cars... Fast forward 1 month, maybe should check (Insert-Craigslist-equivalent)

2 mins in, what is that thing?
5 min later, bought it.

Just spent actual money on a 30 year old 4x4 Dodge Van.

Here we go again I guess.

I feel ya. After getting out of a terrible ranchero, i said im not risking getting another classic until im financially stable enought to buy a restored one. 2 weeks later i bought my impala, and now ive sunk nearly $1400 in it in a month and i still havent regretted it.

I have 2 projects going on but I really want a Scout or a Greenbriar to go along with my other classics
Thus is life in the zone

What is that brass fitting on the fuel line between the fuel filter and the carb?

Is $4750 too much to pay for a '61 Falcon that's in perfect running/driving condition? Perfect interior too, I'm checking it out tomorrow.

Also I should probably point out in Socal so stuff tends to be a bit more expensive out here.

How retarded would it be to get an early 90s truck for a daily?
Been looking for something simple and reliable that I could learn to wrench on instead of having to take it to a dealership every time a computer tells me something's wrong.
Everyone I know is telling me it's a stupid plan and it'd be smarter to finance something a couple years old and rely on the warranty for when things inevitably break, but they're all the 'my car is an appliance, i just wanna get form A to B' types.

Do it, user. You'll save a lot by being able to fix it, yourself, and it'll be a lot of fun.

Yes, way too much for a 4 door 61. Socal is easily the cheapest place to buy good classic cars, the further East you go the more expensive it gets especially in salt/snow states.

Really, even for a mint one?

I've been hounding craigslist for a while and can't find anything this nice for the same price. There are tons of Falcons around 3500-5000 but they look like they need a significant amount of work to get to the same condition.

It takes a long time to find a specific classic. Use searchtempest and up your search to a 500mi radius. There's always tons of classics on craigs that people are asking way too much for, if you watch a certain car you'll see that all of those 4 door /2 door post 60 to 63s will be posted for months, it's not like they are being snatched up, they aren't desirable and they aren't very good cars. If you have to have that body style at least get a coupe. Here's a pristine one -
sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/1960-ford-falcon/6369889031.html

But if you really like that body and are planning on having it a long time just spend the time to find a good 63 1/2 (old body, new style roof) with a V8. A 4 door 6 cyl just isn't that enjoyable no matter how clean it is.

Thanks for the advice, I'll see what I can find using that resource. I'm not set on a Falcon, I'm more just looking for a simple 6cyl cruiser while I wrench on my '71 Challenger, which I've had a lot of setbacks on.

I actually posted last week asking how slow these things are, I'm kind of sketched out by that too since I'm in Socal and need at least some speed to survive driving on the 405.

I'm still gonna go check the car out for shits and gigs at the very least haha

Are the parts even available? I know a couple of forums users who won't touch those and the V6's because of lack of parts.

What would be the best resources to use to search for a classic car for sale cheap? Craigslist has proven pretty 'meh' thus far.

classiccars.com/

Is where i got my $2000 Duster from.

Remember, you get what you pay for.

That's for my fuel pressure gauge

saw this at a junkyard, anybody know much about these carbs? it was on a mid 70s benz if i remember right. would it be worth pulling?

Me and my dad got this last week AMA

Who the hell are you? Nice Fairlane man. I don't think I've ever seen that year on the road or even at shows.

Possum van.

Or A-10 van:
youtu.be/94dcjJ3XJAo?t=44s

>b-body
>SBC motor mounts
>4l60e bolt on
>plethora of aftermarket

maybe if like, the plastic fascia was broken it might be hard to find an oldsmobile one of the same style

they simply made too many of these cars

That's a Solex 4A1 and seems to be mostly reviled and not worth a whole lot in anything but pristine condition. Even then they're only worth a few hundred it seems because most that have cars that used it converted to easier carbs to deal with and no one is yet restoring the cars that came with them.

In another 100 years it might be another story but probably not.

I'm talking specifically about the engines.
The Olds diesels and V6s were oddballs.

>Borg Warner T5
>454

Bambi vs Godzilla there. 351's annihilate T5's with ease. Would a 454 even notice a load being applied before the T5 checked out? Well it might not be quite that bad but you'd have to baby it so much there'd be no point in the 454.

did her dad fuck a parrot?

rapist van

Not bad imo. If you really want a 6 cylinder car.
You can spend that much shining up a beater very quickly.

Does anyone know an excellent undercoat to protect my pinch welds and floor boards during the winter?

Rustoleum has a special undercoating spray

Rustoleum is about the only thing i trust. I should have realized they would have something.

So ive got a bondo patch (about 4" wide) and some scratches on my hood. No shop will touch my car unless i repaint the entirity of it. It was recently paints jet black (looks good from a few feet away), what should i use to cover that spot without it looking super obvious/shitty?

That's horrible, I find corvairs around there for way cheaper and in mint condition.

I'm back! did the user with the camaro die taking that transmission out? Hopefully not, I need some F body bros to talk about F body problems.

>easier carbs to deal with
Holley levels of shitty or what?

REAAALLLLY slow. Even the V8s are pretty slow. I have a Comet coupe with the K code hi po 289 and it's about as fast as a new Accord. The I6 ones are complete dogs, they were rated at under 100hp from the factory, they only weigh 2700 lbs but still that's less than some modern motorcycles.

eastwood.com/eastwood-heavy-duty-anti-rust-in-black.html

Rustoleum is garbage, best stuff out there that doesn't need to be activated and shot through a real gun is Eastwood or SEM (SEM better but more $). If you have access to a booth and really never want your car to rust the best stuff is Imron (can't get it from car suppliers anymore, still available for planes and heavy equipment) but it will kill you for sure if you breath too much of it and will never come off no matter what you do.

That Falcon was spitting oil out of all the spark plug holes and had a bunch of other issues; wasn't in nearly as good of condition as I thought. Also zero power. Like, I was prepared for a slow car but holy shit that thing barely moved with my foot to the floor. Also I locked all 4 brakes when some lady in a Honda Odyssey backed out right in front of me in a tight one-way street.

Neat day I guess but no car.

Just turned 25, been working for a few years now and have roughly 20k saved up. I want to get a 67-69 Camaro because in my eyes, mustangs are pretty abundant and I wouldn't be anywhere as cool as a Camaro. But why is it so hard now to find matching numbers camaros?

Baby boomers dude, they either make them SS clones, or horde them. Do yourself a favor like i did and lower expectations. You can have as much fun in a 2nd gen camaro or trans am than a first gen. Plus with all that savings you can hop your 2nd gen up or modernize stuff on it like suspension and shit like that. Sure 2nd gens are not as cool but they can be made fast and they've still got that "muscle car" feel.

but the aesthetics make me conflicted. On one hand corvette looking rear, on the other, what the fuck GM.

Curvy rear* what the fuck

The 1st gens "have the look" but The 2nd gen has wrap around rear glass plus the 2nd gen parts are a little easier to find and just now starting to become collectible

Fuck its been to long, hows everyone.
I finally got around to priming the car, and my E brake snapped, when pushing it in, go figure, would have though it would have snapped pulling it out. Anyways Fixed that, noticed the old bird, was acting funny at quarter tank, decided I needed a fuel pump, order and install new fuel pump, doesn't work, Father breaks gas pedal in fit of rage trying to get it stay alive with new pump, then, breaks ignition switch, buy new ignition switch, replace it, find out my lock cylinder only installs up side down for some reason, not sure how the fuck that happened, not sure what else to do there, still starts car, but cant pull out key without whole lock cylinder, and leaving on dash lights, i'd just unplug the battery and left it for the night. Reinstalled old pump, she runs now, better then before maybe just needed to be reseated, not sure. Still have no gas pedal, just pushing on the medal accelerator arm for now, ordering a new part, made of rubber with a steel core, looks like the original so thats nice. Of all the things ford decided, they made it plastic, fuckin plastic, everything else is metal so good going ford.

Fuck forgot the name.

A before picture.

>matching numbers
Why do you care? Unless you're going for a 100 point concours show winner just pick one that you like and enjoy.

As for why all their drivetrains have been trashed and played mix-n-match over the years is because they were never considered to be anything but disposable. Cars were cheap and the good times were never going to end so use the car up and then get something else.

This. Matching numbers is for old boomers, Just buy a clean shell and swap in a LS3/T56 and have a blast.

Going to build a lexan scoop for this using a rear facing panel filter. Can't fit the shaker with a edlebrock performer rpm. Also had a edlebrock 1910 Quadrajet 850 cfm carb. 10.0:1 compression. Planning on adding methonal due to only being able to get 91 octane.

>ls
kys

LS3 is popular for a reason. Personally i'd be going with a stroker 350 and a 6 speed but LS is a better package stock

>ctrl f AMC
>0 results

Time to change that, with a shitbox, that is by at least years a classic , tho not rare at ALLLLL

The LS3 is popular because people are almost all FOTM brainlets who instinctively follow trends.

am I classic enough? 28 yrs old e30

Hey guys, think I'm going to stop being a bum this month. Looking at a C level tech job. I'm expecting the pay to be ass, but is there anything else to look out for? I know automotive careers are not for everyone, but it's really the only job I'm qualified for that isn't flipping burgers or jockying the register. Either that or general maintenance.

Just gonna dump a few pics for now. This one's from Halloween.

From visiting my parents this week. Nice to have a big garage to park in, and also getting to drive the Celica I keep with them.

Might have posted this one already but it's my TC with the fresh paint and new wheels. Might not have any nice pics to post for a while, phone blew off the top of the car on a windy day and the fall shattered the camera lens.

Matching numbers are for collectors unless your a collector or a purist it doesn't really matter that much.
Ls's are a meme
just....why...

No thanks, I'll probably just be staying in my room.

Yeah thanks, I'm proud of it. I'm fond of that Impala of yours though. Just wish more 4doors were being treated right.

I'm sure you can get it all stitched up Coastie, or at least mostly. I mean hell man, the fairlane doesn't need much but I'm constantly finding other things to do to it.

This weekend for example. The VA has an annual car show around veteran's day and its one of the better shows in the region so I always go. After sitting around all day one crusty old bastard noticed that I had a cracked belt on the alternator.

Following that, I got the ride home and found out I've got a short in the brake lights now. Gonna have to clean the gremlins out sometime soon.

I'm "literally who". Just a dude with a car, pretty much like all the others in these threads. Thanks, I like my little car. Surprisingly no, you won't see many '65s out and about. I have no idea why because there were plenty of them made. Here in the area there are at least 3 others that I know of, all coups though in various stages. One that's been heavily resto-modded and rodded, one that's about rusted to hell and the third one I saw this weekend at this show that's another true to stock restoration like mine, but is a beautiful cherry red.

Nice nice nice! '64, right? Is it a 170 or a 260? Oh or maybe the 289?

hahhahahhhaha

this looks fun

dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/1962-shop-van-truck-dodge/6362027787.html

>captcha: Chinese TOILET

Yea 64 futura, not a sprint version, my only gripe, But last I checked futura sprints where all 2 doors.

Original 170 with a original 2 speed ford-o-matic tranny, originally a New Jersey car But has original 60s Cali black and yellow plates so, it went on one hell of a Journey to get here.

Fixed the lock cylinder problem, so thats back to normal but still have no gas pedal, just super glued the old one to gather and wrapped with duct tape for extra support till the new ones comes in.

Just noticed how many times I said "original", oh well i'm tried thats my excuse.

Also nice 65 fairlane, had the chance to get one before the falcon. But the amount of work needed and price where just not right.

There also was only one falcon in town before, this one, until recently then another 2 popped up out of nowhere. So I know how that feels to be one of the lonely ones, then suddenly have new friends around.

I'm thinking of getting a subaru outback so I can move bikes and camping gear and shit, but my friend told me to get an 1800ES instead. Is this a good idea if I can get one for $9k? I hardly commute, but want to be able to do weekend and road trips pretty regularly.

So hold up, If I get a first gen camaro and put in the current gen lt1 or lt4 engine, Im a fotm brainlet memeing faggot who should kill himself?

Get a lakewood or something

yes that would be retarded

>When your project car is hundreds of miles away and your current classic never breaks down so you have nothing interesting to ever post about.

what about an ls or lt swap in the third or fourth gen?

Sucks when you spend over a grand on repairs and the car still doesnt look better.

After 87 do what you want

if you don't chop the roof off ur a gay cunt

If you do your an even gayer cunt

nah fuck off mate that flathead morris splitwindow was literally rotting in a shed
at least we'll do something with it after we trash that shitter engine and chuck a sbc in it :v: