What the fuck went wrong with Peugeot in early/mid 2000?

What the fuck went wrong with Peugeot in early/mid 2000?
How did they go from making good stuff like the 205 to this hideous monstrosity?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JQugEZOrZSc
youtube.com/watch?v=2g6M-IimCrc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Give it about 30 years and they'll be back in the US market pretty strong for the rest of us left on this rock. Hell, they'll probably be the next Crown Vic.

> What the fuck went wrong with Peugeot in early/mid 2000?

Like most French manufacturers they shifted their market target to european minimum wagers and emerging countries and made a shit load of money and market shares to compete with asian giants, while german manufacturers targeted the high end consumer. Now that PSA and Renault group are fucking huge they start diversifying their offerings between their brands.

Peugeots from the 90s were alright, but everything with a 7 at the end is bloated, overly complicated, looks and handles like dogshit and is terribly expensive to keep running.

I was wondering the same actually, but we were not the only ones:

If you watch the whole segment there is also an explanation for the shift.

This happened.

like all french cars, they just naturally developed into appealing to mongs

They tried to make nice cars in the early 2010s and nobody bought them, so now they're going to stick to the econohatches and crossovers.

Peugeot still knew how to design nice cars after 2000, they just knew economy cars would sell and sports cars wouldn't. So they didn't bother making more than 1 or 2 of each concept car.

>800hp V12
>fully functional, not just a rolling shell like most concept cars

this
and the 206 had a huge success so they decided base their whole design language on cartoonization of its design

205s were never good. In 5-10 years edgy memers will like the car you posted

>it's like a Maybach
>literally the engine from LMP racecar

you're retarded
205s did not wait 10 years and edgy memers to be recognised as awesome cars

>t. Edgy memer

I'm honestly wondering if you're trolling or insanely ignorant about cars

Those cars were shit and known as shit until the rust monster made some rare. We used to scrap those for fun cause they were terrible cars.

Well they shouldn't make them FWD and maybe let the world know it even exists.

still wondering, but I'm close to a conclusion

i dunno, i quite like peugeot

youtube.com/watch?v=2g6M-IimCrc

>double sided zinc coating
>rust
They're the last of the 80s hatchbacks you can buy at a reasonable price for a reason, and the reason certainly isn't "its a shit car dude get a 90s ford instead"

206cc owner. It was a choice between that and an even older ~96-98 NB. Put Advan Fleva V701s on it earlier this year, pretty fun to drive even with the 1.6 engine as it's based on the GTI.

Personally wouldn't touch any xx7 cars!

that car is shit tho.
Looks amazing but it's as much of a sportscar as audi is not a badge swapped volkswagen

are french car electrical problems a meme?

here. They are not. One problem mine has despite having less than 40k miles on the clock when I got it (around 45k now) is that the headlamps/tail lights will just come on for no apparent reason sometimes. I can live with it but sometimes I'm afraid people will think I'm flashing them to get out of the way.

you should get that fixed, brake lights coming on at random doesn't seem safe

>FWD
>Front Engine
>270 hp / 2656 lbs
>0 - 100 : 6 sec
>1.6L
>1.6L
>1.6L
>1.6L
>1.6L

COME ONNNN !!

It's meant to be like an Audi TT:

>looks nice, not factory riced like hot hatches
>good NVH and overall refinement
>enough space for 2 people and some luggage
>nice interior with leather dash, good amount of equipment
>not meant to be fast
>not meant to be a track car

So yeah it's not a "sports car" really, the FWD is enough of a give away for that. It's not the kind of car made to appeal to the people on Veeky Forums. I think they just made a TT that didn't look so damn boring.

6s from a 1.6l engine is fucking impressive

>0 - 100 : 6 sec
>1.6L

What's the problem there you mong ?

downsizing is for poor retards

>6s from a 1.6l engine is fucking impressive

no it's not

>2 L
>600+ hp
>650 NM Torque
>0-60 under 2 seconds

IT IS impressive

I own a 307 1.6. Fucking attrocious car.

>race cars are more impressive than road cars
thanks for your input m8

If you're gonna post race cars, have this:
>3.2l V6
>875hp
>0-60 in 1.8 seconds

>POOOOOOOOOOO
>JOEEEEEEEEEEE

IN THE LOOOOO

I cant believe this shitpost is finally relevant

It's just a long, expensive hatchback with three less seats then. There is literally no reason to own one.

love the ridiculous aero

The wing is literally ripped straight from their old Le Mans racer, it's great.

Peugeot started that thinking with the 205 though.
Citroen and Renault had been at it since the end of the war,

Previously Peugeot was known for reliable, comfy middle class sedans like the 404 and 505 but especially the 504.

PSA and Renault sport divisions sure know how to have fun

Arent Peugeout and Mercedes literally the same cars nowadays? Same chassis and everything

Where'd you get that from? Peugeot and Citroën use the same engines and platforms, and they've collaborated with BMW on some engines, but they have nothing to do with Mercedes as far as I know.
Renault and Mercedes do work together though, mainly for their work vans, but a few other things as well (Smart platform for the current Twingo, Renault diesel engines for the A/B/CLA-class).

post your pugs fellas

I swear the one of the new Peugeout 3xxx somethingsomething crossover is the same car as the Mercedes ML

Apart from it looking nice.
And how often do you actually use the rear seats?

>Apart from it looking nice.
and being a good handling fwd car
people spend so much time memeing on muh rwd that they forget they do exist

the retard say this mogoloid road car IS impressive, but it's not
>that's the point

and THIS too is impressive 875 hp / 875 kg IS fucking impressive, not like peugeot shit cars...
>if you see a 3.2l V6 on a French car it must be a concept
KEK

>not understanding the concept of context

PSA have technology transfer deals with Daimler if i'm not mistaken, or maybe its Renault i don't really remember but its not impossible.

dci engines in Mercedes say it's Renault.

Back on topic. Post cool Peugeots.

Postin' one that actually made production

And another that didn't because we can't have nice things