Has Veeky Forums ever been caught by a fixed camera for speeding? Apparently a lot of them are inactive in bongland

Has Veeky Forums ever been caught by a fixed camera for speeding? Apparently a lot of them are inactive in bongland.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41869134

Other urls found in this thread:

ny1.com/nyc/queens/news/2017/03/7/man-gets-speeding-camera-tickets-dismissed--says-city-not-following-law-.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Apparently, although I didn't see it because it was hidden behind a sign.

Many are non operational in my city, as the city went bankrupt lol

speed cameras are a thing in the US? not just bored police

Toledo is littered with them. My lead foot (girl)friend and her step dad both got caught by one in the same week.

Can't you get speed camera tickets thrown out because they can't prove it was you driving or some shit

yes, by a fixed speed camera and then a year later by a cop in a van on the same stretch of road.
Its a unjustifiably slow speed limit for a dual carriage way (40mph) so its obvious they're just making money out of the speeders.

Nope
I think by law they have to put massive signs all over the place in my state whenever there's a speeding camera on an intersection, so you literally have to be braindead to not slow down for them
Ive seen only a couple in larger cities infested by certain minorities

If you brought up that you have a case that your car was stolen, then yea I guess. But unless that case was opened you can't fight it afaik. Then you have to explain how that cat is in your possession.

>get speed camera tickets thrown out because they can't prove it was you driving

Lol, that is not how it works. Otherwise, everyone would say "You can't tow my car because it wasn't me that parked it there" or "You can't give me a parking ticket because I didn't park it there". The owner of the car is responsible for what the car does unless there is a police report filed that the car was stolen.

iirc the law is that unless they can prove it was you behind the wheel by getting your face in the photo too, then they cant charge you
its why police are so anal about window tints as it pretty much renders the whole system even more useless

Nope. Too smart to get caught.

They use them for school zone speed enforcement here. They have flashing amber lights and 20 MPH signs when the cameras are active.

Except the really notorious ones aren't switched on when kids are going to/from school. They switch them on at random times during the day. For revenue. So you get used to watching for the lights.

>all cameras switched on in London

Yup. There's a retarded one on my old route to work where you head down a steep hill in a 60, it jumps to a 30 and there's a camera just past that.

*SCREEEEECH*

>speed cameras are a thing in the US?
Different states and different cities have their own approaches. But yes, some places have robot cameras for speed control. The classic example is the school zone. In my city, when the kids are out at school, the limit drops to 20MPH and is monitored by robot cameras. It takes pictures of suspected violators and also saves a separate video segment of suspected violators. We also have traffic light cameras at problem intersections known for having people in the intersection when the light is red against them.

People used to contest the school zone and red light citations, but some taxpayers got disgusted at the high cost of giving cheaters the benefit of the doubt. The voters basically asked why should taxpayers subsidize the legal costs of those who challenge their speeding tickets? So the city council voted to make those contesting the citation pay the fair actual cost of providing the contesting service and it withstood challenge in state court. Because challenges require the city to pay fees to the privatized company to send an expert with gear, and they stay at a hotel and rent a car, and they also bring equipment with them which they charge the city for, all those that do not have their citation completely overturned and fully expunged will therefore split the costs of the court and the visit by the expert plus documentation fees.

So, it's possible to "win" but you'll probably end up paying more than if you had never challenged the ticket in the first place. Of course, many people don't care because they need to get the ticket downgraded so it doesn't affect insurance.

>They have flashing amber lights
In my area, those are technically a courtesy warning to motoriists. There are worded signs saying when the speed enforcement is enforced and it's also published.

>courtesy warning to motoriists.
Sometimes.

The school with speed cameras, cameras, lights and speed limit signs are all wired together. A live cop _might_ stop someone for speeding if there is a kid in front of the school. But the cameras shut down when they switch the limit back up to 35 MPH. State law says to slow down when there is a kid in the school zone.

The cameras are there totally for revenue. They don't switch them on sometimes when kids are around just to generate driver complacency.

they are fucking everwhere in france

>speed cameras are a thing in the US?
It's hard to imagine any USA state that doesn't have speed cameras in school zones. In washington state, we only have cameras if there is a problem with drivers not obeying the school speed laws. Those laws are in effect at certain known times of the day OR if kids are outside the school.

Over here, teachers can complain. The general public can also give speeding complaints and video to the school and/or city government. When there are enough complaints or if a city council member personally takes up the issue, then an investigation will be done to verify speeders exist. The investigation is typically done by a 3rd party for-profit company that installs such speeding enforcement cameras all over the country. The one my city uses is based in Texas. The cameras are very accurate and trigger at 2 mph over the limit. It has photo and video and known landmarks. A car passes one landmark and then passes the 2nd landmark thus cross-checking the speed with the lidar. The city spokesperson said there has never been a proven error in speed detection. The fines are large because the money is split with the for-profit company and the city with the company taking the majority of the fine.

Challenging a ticket is expensive if you lose. The losers pay not only the fine, but the late fee because the hearing is going to be more than 45 days after the date of violation. There is the cost of airline ticket, hotel, and rental car for the legal expert the company sends from Texas to defend the evidence in your traffic court challenge. Besides their salary and corporate service fee, you also have to pay per diem and documentation fees. Furthermore, all tools and instruments the expert brings are rented from the company and you have to pay for that too. The courtroom fee is approx $93 if you win or lose.

The basic fine is a cheap $249 and goes up the faster you go. Repeat offenders pay more too.

>the law is that unless they can prove it was you behind the wheel by getting your face in the photo too, then they cant charge you
Please post a link to your law validating your sovereign citizen type rights that you can drive your car as you please if they can't prove it was you driving it.

no idea how but i have managed to never get a speeding fine in 6 years of driving and 4 years of motorcycle riding.

I have +20 years of commuter driving, shopping driving, and pleasure driving all without any speeding tickets. I do speed.

I also use turn signals courteously and well ahead of the time I make lane changes. That is probably what avoided me getting a ticket on the freeway when I was speeding quite a bit but always using turn signals well in advance. Some teens were speeding less than me but never used turn signals. I passed them and soon thereafter, a police cruiser zoomed up and got in front of me. He brake checked me without slowing to get me stop speeding. I dropped all the way down to the speed limit. He then zoomed off and pulled the teens over to give them a ticket by the side of the road.

I was the much bigger speeder. But I didn't even get pulled over. It was the discourteous much slower speeder that got pulled over for the ticket.

So that was my close call.

>Apparently a lot of them are inactive in bongland.
Inactive ones would be those owned by the city. But many are also owned and operated by private companies the city hires. Those cameras would be removed if the city no longer keeps a contract going for them.

I've almost been caught by the vans they park on the side of the road but I never speed fast enough that I don't have time to react to any fixed ones I come across

>Apparently a lot of them are inactive in bongland.
That will be most of the earlier GATSO cameras, which need actual film putting in them, and someone to be arsed regularly collecting and replacing it.
They are usually left "on" but with no film, so they still flash if they pick you up.
Don't know if this also applies to the smaller versions which are set up to catch people running reds at signalled junctions. I'd hope it doesn't, but it probably does.

The newer digital cameras are way smaller, and since they only need power in and data out you can guarantee they'll be active for as long as they keep money coming in.
Fixed single camera positions seem to be falling out of favour tho. All the new ones I've seen going up lately have been average speed gates.
Just today for instance, a new set of gates has just been activated on the Grane Road in Lancashire. A set of average speed gates over about 5 miles, which are p.much guaranteed to catch a ton of people at the Guide end doing 50 on a road which was designed to be a 50, has been 50 since forever but now has a 40 limit. Easy money.

Yeah, me on the right. In the little econobox opel.

Doing 57 km/h in a 50. Was something around the €50 mark.

If you contested it and said you weren't speeding, how could anyone ever testify or prove that the camera was functioning properly at the time of the incident? Unless a human is operating the camera real-time i don't see how they could overcome this evidentiary issue.

When a bank sues someone for unpaid debt, they have to provide the court with an affidavit that says what kind of computer system they used to calculate how much is owed on the account and state that the computer was in good working order at the moment they generated the account statement. Same goes for cops who ticket you with a radar gun, etc. How the fuck can anyone be convicted by electronic evidence that has no human monitoring?

Happens in the UK, they need a pic of your face if there is a dispute who was driving.

See what happened to Chris Huhne

kanker

>32 over

F

ja dat was echt een behoorlijke bekeuring

Dat hele kankereind staat vol met die apparaten.

Goed bezig pik

>be me, live in a city that has only one speeding camera
>they only put it there as everyone speeds past it doing 20+ over, many wrecks and deaths caused by it
>literally the city deems it illegal after having it up for 3 years straight
>they remove it
>5 deaths at said intersection ever since they removed the camera 2 years ago

G O D B L E S S A M E R I C A

My city got a few, but they were destroyed by people chucking rocks at them

>My city got a few, but they were destroyed by people chucking rocks at them
The highway speed cameras are pretty safe. But the school speed zone cameras are hittable with rocks.

For highway cams (not school ones) it would take guns here because not only are they high up on metal light poles, they are also armored. Protruding metal edges mean objects must come in at a certain angle. Only a bullet or pellet can do that because rocks not only have a trajectory when thrown, but they are also physically large. That largeness prevents them from avoiding the metal lip unless thrown from certain locations with great linear force and they cannot arc much.

In contrast, the school ones are low and can be hit if you carry a hoe. Simply chop at the lens with the hoe until it is broken. Super easy. But zero school speed cameras seem to be vandalized so far. I guess most people realize they are a necessary inconvenience.

A squirt gun with tempera paint should be able to reach the lens of school zone speed cameras. Tempera paint is too thick for toy water pistols, so it has to be those pressured squirt gun water cannons.

Can't really use a paintball gun because there is always a small finite chance of getting caught. The laws regulating paintball guns has the penalty set very high almost like for using a real firearm gun. That discouraged the use of paintball guns to vandalize things by quite a bit.

nedermeet wanneer?

CA threw those types of setups out because evidence is gathered by a for-profit company and breaks the chain of evidence. Now the only way to hhave a camera in CA is if the city pays for everything and it's done in house.

>Toledo
I'm pretty sure speed and red light cameras are banned in the state of Ohio.

>I'm pretty sure speed and red light cameras are banned in the state of Ohio.
Those cameras were legal prior to 2015 when special interest groups managed to convince ohio legislators that such cameras were unconstitutional and discriminatory. Dayton (and others) banded together in a lawsuit challenging that such laws restricting and preventing the use of robotic cameras was in itself unconstitutionally restricting the rights of municipalities. It took 2 years, but the Ohio Supreme Court finally ruled THIS SUMMER that the 2015 law restricting speed and red light cameras was unconstitutional.

And future court cases in other states can point to the Ohio Supreme Court ruling. Otherwise, since it is a state supreme court ruling, the anti-discrimination lawyers can take it to the US Supreme Court (SCOTUS) but that will cost a lot of money. However, the laws were carefully worded and camera placement selection was done to avoid creating Casus Belli with the anti-discrimination activists that usually object to all forms of increased law enforcment activity including the use of technology. All of the justices voting to strike down the law as unconstitutional are republican. The dissenters is democrat.

I always thought these were illegal in America because you had the opportunity to face your accuser in court?

I've been done by a mobile camera van. It's a fucking awful feeling.

At least with a fixed camera you know where they are.

Its a lie. They aren't inactive for the most part aside from motorways. They do this every 5 or so years to get retards speeding again and make money off their idiocy.

P.S I drove North to South in my old Focus Ghia saloon at 100MPH the ENTIRE way for about 600 miles (30mph over the limit) and never got flashed or ticketed and that was just 2 years ago.

Speed cameras in the US are a thing but their use varies by locale. In New York city they aren't that common.

Red light cameras on the other hand...more common.

Average speed is a huge crock. We have it theoretically possible on toll roads in much of the northeast as tons of people use E-ZPass electronic toll tags. But the toll authorities know everyone would throw the toll tags out if they tried to enforce average speed so they only enforce speed at the toll booth (for worker safety if it's a converted booth instead of open road tolling gantries) and to calculate an average speed of all drivers on the road (last point is kept in memory, when driver hits a new point an average speed is calculated and then the unique transponder ID immediately removed to destroy the unique record of that individual's speed).

in new york we just have warning signs generally and cops will camp out in the morning and at dismissal as a visible deterrent at least in suburbia
speed cameras are more common in the city because, you know, revenue generation. a speed camera can ticket several drivers a minute where an officer can only issue one citation every few minutes.

questionable legality at least in new york.
ny1.com/nyc/queens/news/2017/03/7/man-gets-speeding-camera-tickets-dismissed--says-city-not-following-law-.html

radar/LIDAR detection can help you out (well, for LIDAR you would need a jammer so the reading wasn't returned).

>Half of UK road speed cameras are switched off

YEAH BUT NOT THE ONES ALONG MY COMMUTE REEEEEEEEEE!!1!

>I always thought these were illegal in America
They are legal under the USA Constitution. But the USA also has strong state identity and thus state laws also must allow it.

As a result, they are not legal in all states due to those state governments choosing to not allow municipalities in those states to implement robot cameras. It is a voluntary thing and not a constitutional thing. In some cases, municipalities wanting robot cameras challenge the state and win. There would be more challenges, but local governments have politicians that are subject to anti-discrimination complaints, thus they may be forced by politics to not get such cameras. In general, activists consider robotic surveillance to negatively affect blacks and mexicans more than whites, thus it was deemed a racist approach by law enforcement to use robot cameras. If not for these activists, there probably would be a lot more states allowing robotic camera surveillance of street conditions.

>Now the only way to hhave a camera in CA is if the city pays for everything and it's done in house.
That's what you get with ultra expensive systems. Instead of having a knowledgeable company leverage its expertise (since it has many clients in many different states), that forces CA to duplicate the wheel multiple times.

>Not flooring it past the speed trap to beat your top speed and gett cool shots of your car in the mail

>cool pix
do you have any user?
i would do it but shits expensive and i don't want points on my license