"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."

"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."

Legitimate question:

Why do many american cars have a compass?

Is this some obscure premium feature or is there a valid reason?

It was a legit premium feature to have a digital compas in the 90s.

It's standard on most newer vehicles along with he exterior temperature. It's just nice to know and comes in handy when you get lost on backcountry roads.

Year 2022

>Open the driver side door...
>Do you read me?
>Open the driver side door...

>yeah 2022
>driver side
Good one, cuck.

I see.

Here in Europe I only saw the compass (optional) on Volvo or on Mercedes.

It's sat nav or nothing, usually.

>Here in Europe I only saw the compass (optional)

In modern European cars that compass is there for a certain purpose (take a close look). Option available in the mirror menue of the new E-Class btw.

That's the special trim for France, UK and Sweden.

Kek, this.

And Germoney most importantly.

*and Germany

It's something you'll find on like 90s Cadillacs and Lincolns.

It's a holdover from the time of roadmaps.
A digital compass was extremely useful when all you had was a map.

Now I think it's there so that the stealerships can say that the $10 dollar compass is a $250 option unless you want to go down a trim level because that all we have on the lot.

>confirmed
>t. owner of a luxury car from the last century

Jeeps and other high trim SUVs too

>yfw this only happens when you try to shift from 6th down to 1st
>yfw it's a feature built in to keep you from killing your transmission accidentally

How are you supposed to - even accidentally - shift down from fucking 6th gear to 1st on an automatic gearbox?

If there is a feature to prevent you from doing it, that means someone has done it before.

The feature is "avoid overspeeding the engine" and it doesn't happen exclusively when you shift down from 6th to 1st but when you try to shift down when the rpm are already too high to safely shift a gear down

hahahahaha I just bought 2001: A Space Odyssey about two hours ago

God this board is so Veeky Forumstist

We have a lot of Jap 4x4's and you knew you were sitting in upper trim levels when you had a compass.

During those trailblazing days a compass was absolutely necessary. Though if your car didn't have one you'd glue or mount one to the dash

>Buying movies when the maker has long died
You like supporting pedowood?

>Is this some obscure premium feature or is there a valid reason?

It's a combination of being one of those old features that used to be common in cars and the kind that cost almost nothing to add to a modern infotainment system.

>shift down from fucking 6th gear to 1st on an automatic gearbox?

On a full auto, no idea, but a tiptronic/auto box, it's easy as fuck, i've seen my mother do it.

i have a hard on for traditional ones though

Yeah it shows the mecca so what? Are you islamophobe?

islamaphobia is justifiable.
What would be weird is a fear of buddhits, they rarely if ever blow up while screaming "by the will of god"

at least they know their consumer base and audience
and all the other kaffirs that buy it get a neato moon and star on their compass
inshallah, brother

Buddhists kill people too

Except Buddhists haven't been committing mass murder consistently throughout their religions entire existence.

Yeah but they don't blow up when they do it

fucking kill yourself

>the film industry is only pedo directors

kys senpai

To be fair Buddhists have committed their fair share of genocides.

The difference is they're no threat to the West, so they're fine.

stfu tech is good

>The difference is they're no threat to the West, so they're fine.
I understand that this statement passive-aggressive irony, but that's literally true. Why should I care about some retards killing each other on the other side of the world? Islam has been trying to conquer the earth and kill everyone like me since before records began. It's at the root of their faith and always will be. They are literally the western world's bad guys.

It wasn't sarcasm at all, I'm 100% serious.

Buddhism has a history of persecuting Christians, Himdus and Muslims but ony in Buddhist homelands. Buddhism isn't expansionist amd subvertive like Islam; I couldn't give a fuck if Indonesian or Himalayan Buddhists are executing muslims because they keep it in their own countries.