twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for Me

Why aren't you making a mystery game?

Reminder

>Now the web version is completely broken
But I only reuploaded the version that was already up
What game are you playing here, itch?

I'll write the code of conduct.

But I'm here only for money, fuck off with your feel good bullshit.

You probably shouldn't be in agdg then. You should be browsing reddit articles about the best microtransactions to put in your mobile clicker game

Hey, I'm not satan.

Why aren't you making a game about fidget spinners?

>discover various amazing tools such as megascans

What the fuck, I need literally no talent to create AAA graphics and content for my shitty game idea. Time to pay some indian to program my shit and become fucking rich.

pursuing photorealism is a waste of time for this reason

Let's see your best menu sounds.

too late

I've never used one, it'd be like a virgin making a sex game :^)

>he thinks my game has any sounds

>or a menu

this is what some people actually believe

Because Mystery jam is over

you're a sad little man

i haven't been posting because i'm working on some major improvement to a lot of things, kind of uncertain about it all. wish me luck.

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Geoya
Dev: user
Tools: SFML C++ Blender
Web:
Progress:
+ bug fixes
- that's it :(

Nice

Rocket jumping when

I know literally nothing about programming. Which language should I start learning if I want to make an ASCII game? It'd be sort of tactical and Fire Emblem-y.

will you be deluded but happy or disillusioned but skilled

>not creating the next generic multiplayer early access survival fps for guaranteed, risk-less money

you do realize your shitty 2d game which takes way more effort to create will never earn you a single fucking dollar

I wish you luck

was this an inspiration?

Are any of those games even remotely polished?

They all seem janky and buggy as shit, I guess their popularity passes before they ever get finished.

nah the next guaranteed market is making something like but not quite

>feels good about his shit art
>post it on agdg
>gets surprised when everyone says it's shit

Don't fall for the trap.

No, the latest fad game of this genre looks like absolutely trash. It has literally no graphics.

They've earned $100 M I L L I O N

don't draw patterns from outliers

by the time there is a $100 million game, you're too late to market

>I hate feedback

There has been a similar game nearly every year, and they all earn between $100ks to nearly a million.

PUBG literally just changed the format just ever so slightly which made it more popular than its predecessors.

They even went with garbage graphics as tradition requires of this idiot genre, nobody cared.

whats wrong with PUBG's graphics? can you explain why its bad?

we're getting there boys
only a matter of hours now

it uses default ue4 editor settings
it's marketplace assets cobbled together
every texture is blurry and flat
lighting is horrible, looks fully bright

just google pics or watch some vids

so it's NOT a guaranteed success, then. you still have to change the formula in a clever way, which requires skill.

it's a guaranteed $100k and early access is your safety net
you can just abandon it and nobody will care

First time caller here, thought I'd bring my 2D Pixelshit Gamemaker Babby shit to the table. I've actually posted some music on a /v/ thread, but this is the first time posting it here. Its a bit of a love letter to Bubble Bobble, but with its own mechanics that aren't about popping bubbles.

The symbols on the border light up when you hit an enemy with a fireball, according to which symbol pops out of your fireball, which is based on, essentially, 30 sided die roll (As there's 30 symbols). You can get items that take out symbols you've already gotten, and there's a bonus if you get all of them, but if you game over you lose all the ones you've collected, but can start from the level you died at. The drops for items that take out symbols you've already hit increase in the later levels to balance out the later levels being harder (And there's actually a lore reason to, if that fancies you). Since there's also a low chance that you won't hit all the symbols even with item upgrades, if you go long enough without game overing, the item drops will start including unclaimed symbols themselves, so there's a ceiling to how much bad luck can prevent you from unlocking the secret.

This screenshot is only of a test level which is not going into the final product, the point font will certainly change, and I intend to do something about the background (Any good links to tutorials for background art would be nice).

I have a blog for this if you want to follow, but I intend to post here with progress too so don't worry about it. Also if you hate it don't worry about it.

tumblr.com/blog/youngcultistgame

>straight to the point
>based off those fun single screen arcade games
>shows progress
>describes gameplay mechanics fairly in depth

Continue, please. You have my attention.

>feel good about shit art
>dont post it
>still act superior
This was hard

>ASCII game
You should consider not doing that, in the year 2017. Basic tiles are worlds better than ASCII, and don't take that much skill.

To answer your question though, any language will do. Something high level like Java or C# will be more fast enough, and will help with faster dev times.

That said shitty old languages have more fleshed out console based libraries for vidya and whatnot... so you might consider that too.

What is this game about?

It's diep.io in hyperbolic space.

Uh, let's see, I'm diving into things that aren't finished except for lore shenanigans.

>The reason there's plant-like enemies in a cave setting is because the big bad uses plant matter to bind the monsters here in THE REAL WORLD. As you get into deeper levels the background will start including roots and vines and shit and plus I like the all around theme of a tree growing unnaturally through rocks. Almost every enemy has that plant theme, except two potential ones (And one of those is actually just regular ass birds who were "called" towards the center of the cave). Again, this lore stuff is more sub-surface, you'll be able to just play the game completely without knowing anything.

>Those eyeball monsters shoot shit at you, and their eyes follow you when you get close. I had a gameplay video but I'm working on an old ass Acer and it couldn't handle OBS and Gamemaker going at the same time without cutting the framerate in half, which upset the crap outta me because it runs at a sweet 60 FPS.

>I have not yet programmed it in, but you should be able to map your own keys in the final product, because I've already tied keys to variables so it shouldn't be too much of an issue for me to get right. This is something that a lot of indie devs don't think about and that bugs me.

Please consider instead of a noisy texture, using a background with more high-level structure. If you want to be realistic, something like rocks and trees would work. Or just abstract shapes. Landmarks will help people navigate, I think diep sort of does this with the collectibles that spawn in RECOGNIZABLE, NON-UNIFORM patterns.

Good man, keep it up and I want to see some gameplay footage if you can manage it in the near future.

What does /AGDG/ think of SDL2?

Valve

'salright
there's never any reason to use the builtin render API though, always spring for the opengl option

Worst-thing-under-the-sun-but-compiles-to-HTML5/10

I plan to add scenery. Getting a good background texture is hard because hyperbolic space doesn't tile the same way as euclidean space, so anything I use I have to generate it myself. Before I was considering dividing it into areas like this, but there's no way to avoid having narrow sections if I want them to be bordered by straight lines, and to do it another way would be complicated.

Which engine has the best bouyancy physics and water rendering?

Mine.

>buoyancy physics

Unity and UE4 both use the same physics engine so I would expect that you would get similar results in each.

would you make games for the switch?

sure as long as it's profitable

yeah, after it does well on steam, why not

is there any demand for a subterranean furry dating simulator?

Of course. Nintendo consoles are the only good consoles. PS4 and XBone are just worse PCs.

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Skylarks
Dev: Mako
Tools: Rust, Logic, Blender, SDL2
Web: mako.itch.io/skylarks
Progress:
+ Refactoring
+ Fleshed out some important scenes for a major storyline
- There's a bunch of zero-G sex but I'm implying it instead of describing it so I feel like a heretic

>tfw full of great ideas but most of them would require at least a small team of experienced devs so I just end up doing the small and boring ones

How do you feel about enemies that violate designated safe spaces like save rooms and such?

triggered

>no graphics

Wut game? I thought you were talking about the playerunknown thing

[meme potential increases]

I like them
the only problem I see is if the player stops playing for a minute to leave assuming they're safe and they appear
but as long as you can pause I don't see a problem

Well, you're violating a rule that you've set for the player. So the question is, do you also violate other conventions? Then you'd be setting up a meta rule that standard videogame rules don't apply, and players should expect more where that came from.

It also depends on how often you do it. Is it a one time thing, or is it a crossing of a threshold, after which no room is safe? Do you spring it on the player when they're unaware, or is it done as part of a dramatic moment in the game?

If it's a rule introduced from the beginning that no space is safe, fine, but then you're not really violating anything, you're just saying that if you want to be safe you turn off the game.

The inverted fisheye one loos like you're exploring an ocean trench

How do you feel about enemies that violate designated pause states?

How do you feel about enemies that rape you repeatedly?

>pause
furry

See , it's the exact same problem absracted one level.

What's the "easiest" 3D art style to learn so I can just make cheap shit that looks vaguely consistent for my game? Is something cartoony like vietnamese ripoff wind waker feasable?

is Spaceship Crew Self-Defense Simulator only two rooms or am I missing something

untextured memepoly
just add some lazy post-process like depth of field and chromatic aberration and enjoy your GOTY awards

youtube.com/watch?v=Vyo7mKHOerY. Make sure you don't use textures.

MAKE
A
K
E

ONLY
N
L
Y

CUBES
U
B
E
S

Just copy Killer7

Dude. Petri dish simulator

>Anyone want a writer?
I do!
are you on the Discord?

sorry, i'm already using him.

Guy who was making a roguelike in gamemaker here. I'm not dead but I have no progress.
>trying to do fov/line of sight
>really, really fucking complicated
>try to implement a simple raycasting algorithm, fuck up because my octant was 90 degrees instead of 45 degrees, don;t think I want to do raycasting anyway because of the artifacts
>think about doing it with collision detection, but gamemaker doesn't have a function that returns all objects for a given line
>try to look up other solutions so I can convert their code to gamemaker
>all of them are for languages that allow classes and have other features, porting it to my rickety setup in gamemaker would probably be harder than just figuring it out myself
>even depite all of this I have the basics of shadowcasting down now but I don't know how to iterate across all squares that a line is touching withour making artifacts or fucking it up somehow

Feel free to laugh at me, I don't even want help honestly. All I can say is holy fucking christ, I never in my wildest dreams though that this line of sight shit would be harder than doing my battle system or anything else. God I fucking hate grids.

please be shitposting

gamemaker really makes everything harder

simply code something ugly and fast so you can fix it later

>i have pokemon x fire emblem idea
>the idea is so unoriginal that i require team to work for it
>btw i don't have any skills except making pipe dream of mishmash games

sorry my friend, he is used goods. we hit it up on AOL and now he's writing my comp sci essay

>TL;DR: The Game

Does anyone know what kind of income we're talking for this kind of thing? Just out of curiosity.

It's a sequel to DBZ Legendary Super Warriors

Will move to Love 2D eventually

I'm really trying to get people here

Billions if you design it well enough to trick people out of their money and make the game addicting.