He has a winter beater

>he has a winter beater
>he doesn't drive his pride and joy in ALL conditions

Got a winter beater recently and I literally see zero downsides except for having to insure two cars

as long as you
-keep a trickle charge on it on very cold nights
-possibly invest in an engine block heater to dramatically reduce wear and tear from cold starts
-spray the underside with rust protection like fluid film
-get good snow tires
you can winter drive basically anything without problems. the ONLY thing that might get you is high snow banks but just hire a fuckin plow for your driveway

>winter

>hurricanes

This. Cars are meant to be enjoyed. Not locked away just because of cold weather or frozen water.

The only good reasons to have a winter beater are
>salt
>other shitty drivers users no-season tires

>he doesn't have a hurricane beater

I drive my sports car the whole year, when I'll see the first rust at the bottom I put some industry grade paint on it and finish

*gets hit by moron on summer tires*
*hits black ice and can't stop even with snow tires*
*salt gets through undercoating anyway*

>he has a pride and joy
>he doesn't just drive beaters

This is my pride and joy and i drive it every winter.

Yeah cars are meant to be enjoyed, exactly. I would like to enjoy my car for many years to come, not have it be totalled by some dumbass who can't drive in the snow.

Post you're winter beaters

>his pride and joy isn't a beater
mfw

A bike just isn't suited for snowy winters, or when there is black ice on the road.

How about you grow a pair.

Spikes are illegal here.

if i had a shitty boomer car I don't care like a memevette I'd drive it all year as well

Ausfag here

I go everywhere in this beast, floods mud dirt gravel u name it.awd is for poofs

>live in Texas
>no need for anything winter-related in my possession besides a jacket and windshield scraper

kek

It’s easy to say that when it doesn’t snow.

it does snow in Australia.
just not in places that people live because who the fucks wants to live in some sub zero hell hole?

>who the fucks wants to live in some sub zero hell hole?

The mountain ski towns here are fucking 2/3 Australian. You people love that shit. It's funny how they never go back too.

>living somewhere cold enough that it ever snows
Haha never gets below 8 degrees Celsius where I live.

Who the hell wants to live in a hell hole of the opposite temperature either?

>not wanting to beat the shit out of some cheap tin can

>tfw no good beaches

fucking oath I did not expect to see a picture of Wilson's prom when I cam into this thread

thats a cunt of a beach to get to, its like a 3 hour walk but the sand squeaks.

>impractical but really fun sports car for normal daily driving
>Less fun but extremely practical secondary vehicle for bad weather or moving larger amounts of things/people

This is the correct way to live and you all know it.

You gotta get winter mats for the carpet too. All the salty water soaks through the carpet and eats the floorboards.

absolute cunt of a hike

This
One car that is good at all of those things is going to be heavily compromised in all areas

That thing is mean to be driven in winter, you achieve maxinum /comfy/ levels that way. Take good care of it though, please.

what if my winter beater IS my pride and joy

Kak where?

fuck off sean your calais is shit

>Cars are meant to be enjoyed
and by not driving it on salty roads i can enjoy it for more years

I will be getting an E46 soon, what can I do to make it decent in the winter aside from winter tires (which are mandatory here)? Throw something heavy in the trunk and spray some kind of rust protection, I'm guessing?

Realize that you're driving a RWD car with 50/50 weight distribution. Modify your driving style according to present road conditions. Be careful.

Question for the coldfags:
You know how a intercooler cools the air (that got hot because of compression) so your engine can take in more air with the same pressure? Or in other words, hot air expands, cold air contracts.
Does a car that breathes cold air thus have more power (potential) because it can take in more air and thus can burn more fuel?
To me it feels like my car has more power in cold weather but that might be just in my head.

Yes, colder air means more air molecules per volume given volume, which means more oxygen, which means you can burn more fuel, which means bigger bang which means more power.

It's the reason for charged air coolers in the first place, and the reason some drag racing cars have ice-cooled intercoolers. It's also the reason some Subarus (and maybe other cars) once came with a water spraying system for the intercooler; water was sprayed on the intercooler which then evaporated, causing more "wind chill" on the intercooler when you needed more power. Trickle-down thing from WRC I think, completely useless in real life but a neat feature.

No u Jimmy shit spy

>3 hour walk
>he doesnt mountain bike
Poof

Yeah pretty much exactly that.

A good set of snow tires on a RWD car and you’ll be passing right by cuckovers with AWD and “all season” tires.

Europeans drove like this for years before FWD/AWD became more predominant there. Germans never bitched their w123 got stuck or slid off the road because they had quality snow tires and altered driving to suit the conditions.

I wouldn’t bother with trunk weights yet. That’s more for pickup trucks with nothing in the back.

You want a good rust proof kit. You can get a good linseed oil based solution on Amazon for $150 that will do 4 treatments with an air compressor. You need a few types of Neal nose pliers to pull the little bodywork plugs in the car. You can’t just spray it on the bottom. You have to get it into the holes of the car’s body that are made and plugged at the factory. I’m doing this to my LS430 next week. It’s not my winter beater, but I still don’t want it to rust just from incidental driving when the roads are cleared. I have an early CR-V to be my snowcuck.

Kinda, sorta. For a little while at least until the ECU figures out that the ambient is cold and powers you back a bit. Cars usually have a bit more grunt right after a temp / pressure change.

Turbo cars suffer less from heat soak.

Any gains are usually negated by less ideal gasoline mixtures that they get away with using in cooler weather. Shitty winter gas around here is gay as fuck.

>never snows where I live
I hate it

Live in the Midwest and it never gets tremendously cold. Would I still benefit from installing an engine block heater?

Mainly interested in lessening wear and getting that sweet hot air quicker on cool mornings

>getting rust on your baby

>he has a winter
Oh you poor child

>not having a summer car and a winter car
Summer should be any sports car. Convertible if you like that. Summer tires. Summer temperature fluids. Winter should be an AWD utilitybox. Well insulated. Snow tires. Winter temperature fluids.

This way you have a great car for summer and for winter instead of having to buy separate tires for your car and worrying about rust on your summer car.

>sand squeaks
Wat.

Note, I would walk 3 hours just to feel the squeaky sand.

Alberta and BC. Banff and Whistler.

Cold air is denser so your engine will operate more efficiently because the air holds more oxygen to be part of the combustion process.

t. aviationfag

Winter is pretty much the only time you can drive a Corvette without having to worry about it overheating

lool

>during summer my coolant temperature read just below 195
>it's now late into fall and my coolant temperature reads at 195
what is this trickery, GM

It's just auto manufacturers not showing you the real temp gauge readout but putting it in a "everything is okay" comfort zone. Pretty much everyone does this now.

It's a 14 year old beater. That will show higher temps during extended city traffic and idling. I doubt it's a fake readout.

That's pretty shitty though if true. Do you have proofs?

Yeah what is a winter?

It just uses the fan less

>pride and joy
>isnt his beater

Eh, I got one for the summer and one for the winter. Makes the best of both worlds.

Ford has been guilty of doing that for many years.

Your oil pressure gauge is probably fake too.
What's funny about a shitpost?

Ah lovely it's because thredbo sucks

Jokes on you, I drive my winter beater year long!

>Your oil pressure gauge is probably fake too.
Learned the hard way.

>Driving my shitbox 4.3 ZR2 hard in the trails
>Hit a few rough patches of mud & debris
>Slow down and examine gauges
>Running a little warmer, but expected as I've been romping on it
>Drove around a little bit letting it cool down
>Hear a weird noise, like a bearing running dry
>Passenger and I got out, popped the hood, and listened
>Sounds like it's coming from the idler bearing
>It's covered in mud, has made noise before
>Get back in the truck, crack a cold one
>Start romping on it through the trails again
>Noise is getting worse, truck won't idle on its own
>All gauges are good, only a couple miles from the house now
>Probably water on the plugs, has happened before
>Couple minutes later the noise is unbearable, something is seriously wrong
>Pulled off to the side of the trail, truck stalled out
>Tried restarting, turned over but had great difficulty
>Wouldn't even fire slow
>Checked dipstick, completely dry
>Had it towed home, decided I'd drain and fill
>Hardly a small stream came out
>Notice oil filter was punctured when I went to replace it

Installed a proper oil gauge afterwards, along with an oil temp gauge. Relocated the filter so it wasn't in the front of the truck protected by the penetrated plastic skid plate as well.

Tbh the 4.3 in that thing ran out of oil a few times and kept going. Traded it for a full size 1500. Don't regret anything.

its better than gibs

About to drive across country in the winter again.

My 4.3 blazer burnt a lot more oil than I thought and I ran it without oil quite often. Cruising down the highway at 100mph with and 0psi oil pressure. Good times.

*car explodes in wildfire*

>cuckifornia
I've been here 2 weeks for work, one week in LA and 1 week in San Francisco, and I have another week to go in SF. I fucking hate this state.

If that is really your car then I have to say that, that is a good looking porsche. Nice one man.

I bet driving in the cold weather feels really nice and comfy in that huh?

Thanks. At least it's AWD but the PS2s aren't that great in the snow and ice. Only got a little squirrelly a couple times. This time I won't have the car filled to brim with stuff.

>tfw winter beater is only car

is that a new winch
do you not have your name on or am i thinking of a different guy?

Sheeeit, what are you growing in the tunnel?

There is an orange Aventador in Finland and the owner has studded winter tires in it.

thanks, user. this pic makes me excited for comfy winter and the glory that my first winter with AWD will be

Quite a few people here have GTR's as winter beaters. I see lots of 911 turbo's in the snow too. Not quite the right tool for the job but why not.

Crownon is the only one here with that beat up shitbox. I bet if he used the winch, it'd rip off the frame mount, Kek

weed

was user an impostor then?

> living in Germany
> no snow
fucking sand people brining their weather with them