1994 Accord EX

So I bought pic related yesterday locally for $850. 172k miles, has a shitty cholo paint job, but eh. Everything seems to be pretty alright, rides smooth city and highway, but it definitely needs some maintenance. It's wanting to overheat on idle sometimes, and when the AC is on (It dips back down and up) , also revs up in park, so I'm thinking air in the cooling system, IACV, fan belt, fuse, or sensor. Any input?

I also own a 94 accord ex.

Have you checked the coolant and oil? Check the reservoir for oil. if you see oil it means your head gasket is probably fucked. or the head. My car has this issue. The hid it when i bought it.

I would start by changing the thermostat. Also see if your radiator fan is functional.

That's what I thought originally, but the coolant is good, no floaties or anything. I'm planning on working on it within the next few days since I have 2 days off. I think I did pretty good for the price though.

Anything for under a grand that gets from point A to B is always a good deal

check the head gasket. i can almost guarantee it’s the problem and it cant do anything but help to replace. 172k is a lot of opportunities for overheats. make sure the head isn’t warped.

for so cheap honestly i’d just recommend getting the overheating issue fixed. honda’s will never be 100% smooth at park, you’ll never find one that isles without bouncing a little. it’s normal and it’s not gonna break anything.

I sure hope you checked for subframe rust.
Check batt terminal connections and wiring of both sides. And the main wire for the alternator. Could be vacuum leak or iacv or even egr/clogged egr ports so chrck that out too. Good thing its easy to do

>not buying a clean stock civic for 3k
>buying a car that had shitty ownerSouth
You dun goofed

3k civic meme is not the best. The car will end up having the same problems, as buying a cheap car with problems. Better to get them out of the way before daily driving.

A $800 dollar accord plus 2k in new parts is infinitely better than a "clean" 3k civic. That is bound to have things go wrong.

Parts are cheap as fuck for 90's honda. Obviously this high school shit poster doesn't know how far 2k can go. You can put all new brakes, new LED headlights, add fog lights, new tires, all new fluids + miscellaneous small parts for under 2k. even add new paint.

>fan belt

nigger, what? its electric you fucking retard

>led headlights and fog lights

what about hg, timing belt, waterpump, suspension bushings, wheel alignment

you know, shit that actually matters

The only thing that may of been done be a 3k civic owner is the timing belt. More likely than not they have no fucking clue about it. they last 90k. Most 3k civic owners dont have the car for over a couple years.

Likely going to have same risk and issues with the head gasket, bushings and alignment.

I've changed my timing belt twice and I've put 20k on my ED6 hatch

its not even interference

Check that both fans are operating when the temperature gets too high.
A thermostat not opening all the way can also give you the same symptoms.
If you want to burp the coolant system, jack up the front end while it's cold (or park on a hill), pop off the radiator cap, and let it idle, occasionally giving a light Rev. That'll make your radiator mouth the highest point in the system and the rando revs will help 'shake lose' any stuck air bubbles.

IACV is almost always the cause of idle issues in the F22 engines. From 90-2002.

>pic related, my 97 5spd wagon
>still have the 1997 window sticker & dealer delivery slip

>D15
>Not interference

Whew mate, great jokes.
Also timing belt twice in 20k is outright ridiculous unless you've owned it since new somehow.

yes, and do you think you are a good representation of 3k civic owners?

lol don't jump to conclusions about your head gasket. If its only over heating at idle, check thermostat

>implying all "d15s" are the same

most people will tell you all d series are interference; however its not really true. mine is an 8 valve head (D15b6 CRX HF)

>outright ridiculous

Well I first put a cheap belt on it, and then I decided to change it to a Gates timing belt.

>fan belt
Nope, it's probably the stupid electric fan, the thermostatic switch also goes bad on Honda's
Had to wire my electric fan to a toggle switch because the thermostatic switch was dead

As long as you're sure. I could've they generally all were but then again. The supereconomy HF is in its own world.

Garbage belt makes more sense now. I put Gates belts on everything.

The real question is, did you use the black belt of the blue belt ?

OP here, looks like radiator fan is having a tizzy, so I assume that's the issue. I let it sit after starting it, and it decides to engage after about 5 minutes.

the audacity of the fucking OP to shit on Mexican Americans when he is the loser who just SPENT $850 on a broken pos car

I'll be monitoring this thread. My gf's dad is giving me his 05 Accord 4 door manual with the 2.4 after the water pump pulley took a shit and shredded the belt.

Gonna try to have it in my garage this week but we had it running, but it surges when idling similar to what you said. Revs great but I think there's air in the system. Doesnt overheat readily but I bet there's air, want to see if yours is fixed by a flush. I got the pump, tensioner, new belt, and a rad cap (old one is leaking) in my room just gotta get the car from her place to mine. Once done I'm gonna put 2 new tires on it so they all match and a new battery and I'll have me a nice little shitbox. 154k miles on mine, seems to run great. Will pry sell in the summer or give to my dad and sell his old Civic and pocket the money.

bleed the cooling system.

Fan is electric.

small 4cyls don't make that much heat. It needs to be fully up to temp and above a threshhold before the ecu will turn the fan on.

Is the fan turning on ever? Then that system is fine.

Fan not turning on? check coolant sensors and check fan. Put 12v to it and see if the fan turns on. Fan turn on? replace whatever coolant sensor the fan runs off of.

money on air in the cooling system.

your idle is probably caused by a dirty iacv. Take it off, blast the fucker with carb cleaner, put it back on. They are known for getting carbon'd up.

If you want to keep in contact, just add me on google or email me, because I may ghost off of here. @[email protected]

Thanks for the input everyone who replied. I'm pretty much a dumbass when it comes to cars, but I try.