New or newish DD

My mr-s caught fire and exploded and I need a DD. I have been considering the focus st. Is there anything else that is in the range of $20-25k that would be better?

No. Focus st is the god machine.

what the fuck did you do to that poor machine that caused it to catch fire

Turns out the rod bearing was badly cast so it was just a matter of time before it would crack. Rod went through the block after that and the fuel line caught fire. The fuel tank burst within a minute. I hadn't installed a fire extinguisher because I'm an idiot. It was a good car while I had it, almost 2 years. A part of me died watching the best part of my life burn.

I feel like this a meme.
I don't like getting memed on.

Nah I have a 2013 st3. Find me a better hot hatch.

I'm just making sure, god machine meme is thrown around a lot sarcastically.

But I thought Toyota was supposed to be reliable???

I have bad luck. Really bad luck.

Only thing better than a focus st is a miata with 15k in it.

I'm going to get a DD now and a fun car as a secondary in spring.

>in the range of $20-25k
If you buy used your options are basically unlimited. If you buy new, a civic coupe is always nice, or a mazda3. I'm not a huge fan of miatas, or convertibles with no back seats at all.

Can get a used impreza that's not completely beat to shit for that price range as well, but my money would go to a 1.5 'turbo' civic coupe or something similar if it were me. Better as a daily driver, more comfortable, much more trunk space, and much more utility usage.

If you're looking for a replacement for the mr-s, don't bother getting an 86, fiata, or miata. There are plenty of used hot hatches (not ford) that can be had for a good price.

>Better as a daily driver, more comfortable, much more trunk space, and much more utility usage.
Than an mr-s-esque vehicle*
Subies have way more room.

Don't Toyota have a life time garuantee if a car fails because of a problem during assembly?

I dunno at least I have comprehensive insurance, but I'm not going to find an mr-s in that condition again, the used car market near me fell through the floor this last year.

>in that condition
Exploding condition?

Probably not, I'm not the original owner and Toyota guarantees for a limited amount of miles.

Well, before that.

Consider a civic(tm).
Seriously, you can get new or used in your price range and it will serve you amazingly well, whether you get a coupe, sedan, or hatch.

S2000

Get an SW20

>make engine in mexico
>it blows up
god 1zzs are shit

>$20-25k
Civic with a few simple mods?

>I hadn't installed a fire extinguisher because I'm an idiot.
Don't be so hard on yourself.

A 'standard' small fire extinguisher for a car will knock down the fire for about as long as the extinguisher lasts (30 seconds) then it will be right back where it was.
A large one, (like an industrial one) will go longer, but you still probably wont extinguish it before the extinguisher runs out.

Short story is that unless you have a fire suppression system you are probably going to lose the car before the fire department shows up. Even those are called suppression not extinguishing systems, their primary purpose is to get you enough time to get out so you don't burn to death. Saving the car is a secondary goal.

This, there are so many nooks and crannies and hidden spots in an engine bay that a regular fire extinguisher simply won't reach. Furthermore, a lot of the stuff in there will be hot as fuck already so it's difficult for a small fire extinguisher to remove enough heat to stop the fire from just reigniting.

W221 S Class.
Even the base S320 cdi model is just 1 second slower from 0-100 kph.
Apart from the fact that the Focus ST is better in corners than the W221, the W221 is a superior car in every single other way.

^these or is it this & this^

my dad was an air force firefighter and currently a professional civilian firefighter and he'd be the first to say everything listed above.
often times, when putting out fires started by fuel and shit like that, they need to be smothered with sand, dirt, or foam like the air force fire engines shoot out.
the only thing a small extinguisher would've done is buy you time to get yourself out if shit absolutely hit the fan.
ive pretty much committed myself to installing an extinguisher in any MR or RR car I get, but I know it wouldn't save the car, just me and anyone dumb enough to ride with me.

if you still want sporty you could consider a new Miata or toyobaru for RWD, but hot hatches all seem to be pretty damn good all rounders nowadays.
like when picking out a gun, find the model that is easiest to use and most comfortable for you, try and test drive a fiesta, focus, golf, civic, and maybe even a veloster and see what you like the most and whos willing to accommodate you the most.

I was actually just looking into an MRS myself and its a shame that there will be one less out there, but I know the pain of losing something you love ever since my first bike decided to kill itself.

hope the baby hedgehogs make you feel better

>op drove a toyota mrs
>he wants a sporty car, like a Focus ST
>oh I know, I'll suggest a luxobarge!

Like, does it hurt to be retarded? Or is it so natural to you at this point that you can't even notice anymore?

>RWD
>Atleast 235 bhp in the base 320 cdi (Focus has 252 bhp)
>Gets better mpg
>Much bigger
>Much comfier
>0-100 7.5 sec
>massages you
>doesn't leave you stranded in the road
>doesn't have a food blender engine with a turbo
>much better in winter due to longer wheelbase
>much better as a DD
>much better on track since everybody will yeld to you.

The S320 CDI W221 is a much better car than the Focus ST, in every way, shape or form.

>Less Power
>Worse Handling
>4,300 to 5,000 lbs (It's lightest model weighs over 1k more than a Focus)
>Costs way more to insure
>Costs way more to repair
>Worse in winter due to RWD
>Mercedes "quality"
>MPG is almost equal between the two

>doesn't leave you stranded in the road
and
>better on the track since everybody will yield to you

LMAO.

I'll give you the fact that it's more comfy, but holy shit, fuck off.

Unitonically this

You are just mad that an luxobarge with leather massage seats and voice operated controls is faster and better than a Focus ST.
Not to mention the air suspension.
If the S320 cdi (the weakest one) is close to a Focus ST, then even a mid-range S400 absolutely destroys any silly little "sports" light car.

Nigga you ever even been near a car?

I actually have driven a W221 S320 cdi and I can confirm that it is indeed the best car in the world, for under 20k euros.

>faster and better

It weighs way more. Do you not understand how weight and horsepower work in a car?
With that, it's still slower to begin with. "But the mid-range models will be faster than the ST!" And they weigh more, meaning any power gain is going towards moving that extra weight, making it still slower.
It still costs more to insure and repair, it's still worse in the winter, it's MPG is still near equal. Why are you not arguing these points any more? Oh, because all you have is "its got a nice interior xD"

>air suspension
Okay? Do you even know what air suspension is for?

Probably the same deluded mofo that tried to argue W203 are half decent cars last week lel

Something with a v8. Not a focus cuckbox.

if you're going straight for DD, and you have that amount of funds, subaru makes, in my opinion, really cool DDs. the wrx's are in that price range. also for your fun car what are you thinking of?

Subarus are shit.

idk my dad had an outback for years and it lasted him forever with routine service being the only thing he ever had to do to it. I'm more of a mazda person but i don't want to be every Veeky Forums shitposter and go
> MIATAS ARE ALWAYS THE ANSWER LUL
like if i had to recommend a mazda DD i've seen the mazda3 be really reliable/good to my friends who own them

fiesta st is better

Toyobaru is a good replacement for this thing
This guy doesnt know what he’s talking about

>take burnt boi
>replace necessary bits, leave exterior looking burnt up
>swap BEAMS 3S-GTE
>become Ghost racer
Do it

S2000 AP1

No.

Evo (pic not related)

Go with an s2000 it's a step up from the MRS and Miata

FRS/BRZ. If you already didn't really have any expectations of straight-line speed; its a perfect car.

And they both have snap oversteer memes

And when that blows up, get an AW11

>0-100 7.5 seconds
Nigga my AW11 does that 4

Fuck you, I was in a good mood today.

at least she's still smiling user... at least she's still smiling.
>"don't have long to go now, but I'm glad I spent these last couple years with user. Not a bad way to go...", she thought as the blur of firefighters around her faded into darkness..

>replace an MRS with a fwd cuckbox
LEL

OP should get a 2 year old new car.

Pic related.... same sticker price as when it was new. Dat Resale!

fuck you man

top feel ;_;

sorry nigga i made a spelling error on a feelpost

Brand reliability memes are based on percent failed not whether or not they fail ever, and how many of the failures remain in public memory

>make 10 million corollas
>500,000 fail dramatically and need to be shipped to the shop ASAP
>owners: "but the dealership fixed it", no blight on toyota's record
>9,500,000 survive without major failures
>"look at all those corollas on the road son, they last forever"
>make ten hand built ducati motorcycles
>two grenade their engines
>"it's always the same with these fucking pasta rockets"
but suddenly
>surviving ducati ten years of use and 20 valve adjustments+timing belt replacements later: running fine, looks almost brand new, 50k miles
>surviving corolla ten years later: airbag recall lol, also rust and peeling paint

... fugg...

>20 valve adjustments+timing belt replacements later: running fine, looks almost brand new, 50k miles

you dont see a problem with that?

>best part of your life is a car
heh.

I'm a lonely autist with no friends.
The mr-s made me excited to go to work
Made me excited to go home.
Not for the sake of getting there, but for enjoying the ride. The mr-s was always an escape for me and every time I got in the car I let go of my stress at least until I got out of the car. I lived 2 years of my life with the car.

The car was a part of my life, and no other car will be quite the same. I will miss every imperfection, from the squeaky throttle pedal to the drivers seat that was stuck in the perfect position for me.

Got the focus st guys.
Will post pics tomorrow when I wake up.

Buy another one, don't buy a fucking focus, buy another one.

I got one too and I can't think of any car in its price range that can come close to it.

I need a normal dd at this point and I can get another mr2 in spring as a second car. The big thing is though, even if it is the same model, every car is different.

Good lord this

>squeaky throttle pedal

I thought I was the only one with that...this post really hit me in the feels...thank you for that OP

You have this too?

yup all it needs is some elbow grease

:(

lol the mr-s is the worst of the mr2s for a reason, the 1zz fucking burns oil as if it were a rotary engine.

steaks were made user

Learn to drive and buy tires that are not made in a third world country

buy and Rx8 plus a used focus ST. you can get both under 20k

Even though the other two are "better", that car was a big part of my life for the last 2 years.

delet