What does aut/o/ think of Renault Zoe?

What does aut/o/ think of Renault Zoe?

>400 kilometer (250 miles) range
>Price: €20,700 (US$27,250)
>Fast charging capability (half an hour to 80%)

Is the future already here?

Other urls found in this thread:

forbes.com/sites/peterlyon/2017/01/31/nissans-note-e-power-a-glimpse-at-the-hybrid-car-of-the-future/#1511dbdd7797
greencarreports.com/news/1110149_tesla-model-s-battery-life-what-the-data-show-so-far
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The future was here almost 20 years ago already.

Kek

>Renault Zoe
Isn't that the one where you don't actually own the battery
and are cucked into a contract where you pay monthly fees?

I mean considering how fast those batteries expire it kinda makes sense for you not to own it, makes it a lot easier for the companies to recycle them since they basically own them.

Well yes, you rent the battery. I’ve been thinking about that too and thought it was stoopid. But the more I think about it the better it sounds.

The reasons is that the batteries have developed rapidly and will continue to do so. For example. The Zoe from 2015 had a range of 210 km, then the Zoe from the first half of 2016 had the range of 250 km, and not the Zoe from second half of 2016 has the range of 400 km. So, if you would buy a car with that battery two years ago the new model would already have almost twice as long range and you’d feel pretty stupid. But if you rent it I reckon they just change it and you get the new version.

The batteries don’t really expire as much as they did. The last few gens of batteries have life expectancies well above 10 years. The reason is that we have some understanding of what was actually killing the batteries (deep discharge etc.) and now we can prevent it. This is why five year old laptops have batteries that you don’t even know if they degraded or not.

>Is the future already here?
Maybe if the future is ugly as fuck,

The actual, real world range on these is about 60% of the claimed range.
>In the summer, with enough changes to use regeneriatve braking, the 240 model will do ~130km, the 400km will actually do about 220.
>Any temeprature below 20 degrees will reduce the range further.

>And there was a software update that reduced range for another 20km for a couple of months.
>also the Zoes have proven to be very unreliable
>Which in part is due to a HORRENDOUS build qualtiy
>not sure if these a electric car problems or just that Renault is shit.

It does accelerate quickly upt to about 60km/h though. So there's that

>Old time : Buy car, insurance and fuel
>Future : Buy car, insurance, electricity and rent battery

Future seems great !

>The actual, real world range on these is about 60% of the claimed range.
Nope, rented it once and tested it. If you drive in eco-mode (there's a button with "eco" which makes the wild accelerations go away), which drives the same as my old citroen (I know most people wouldn't like that though) you could get well past 300. Tried it in cold weather so I can say from experience that the 20°C thing is BS.

>the Zoes have proven to be very unreliable
Never heard of that, but I guess it should make sense considering the low numbers and “child sickness”. Overall the electric motors are much more reliable than the internal combustion and the breakdowns that I did find out about had to do with some electronics breaking down (like a Tesla 3 lock malfunctioned and the owner couldn’t get in).

>pay for oil
>clutch
>brakes
>higher cost of gasoline over electricity by several times
>EV is charged at parking spaces
>100 to 1000 times cheaper to build chargins stations so charging stations at every parking lot

Do you really think it's possible to replace every car on earth with an electric car ?
Do you shit lithium ?

With the 119 € / month of battery rental I buy my gasoline and the maintenance of my Porsche Cayman S 987

>Have a nice short trip in your tiny car

>Lithium's gonna run out the EV will never last
>Lithium's gonna overflow the market and the prices are gonna collapse, EV will crash the global economy
I've been checking battery material scarcity too. Basically, several material alternatives exist, but none are currently attractive to the industry and so they stick with Li-ION, which coincidentally also show quick rate of improvement. Lithium was the first "scarcity" trick, but then new Lithium reserves were actually searched for. And now the scare is that Lithium prices will crash.

The next scarcity scare is Cobal, but the media analysts apply the same flawed concepts. They read how much material exists in operating mines, then they decide that that is all the material that exists in the world. Cobalt is mined almost in Congo, coincidentaly. The same flaws had media analysts reiterate that oil will only last for ten more years, every decade of the past 50 years. Or if you ever heard that uranium will run out within 50 years, it's the same.

Funny how the media analysists actually know the'yre full of shit. If you actually believe that Lithium will run out then you also expect the prices to skyrocket and you should buy a pile. But they never do that. They just make another edgy apocalyptic claim.

A friend of mine has a health care company that used 4 Zoes for home visits, so no 18YOs delivering Pizzas in dagumi mode.

Cars were very cheap because the dealer was desperate to get them of the lot, if you paid full price (very unlikely that anyone ever did) + battery fees + juice (costs between 35 and 45% of petrol per km) a regular car is likely to be cheaper, and obviously much more useful.

I test drove one of these cars out of couriousity.
And I don't belive the range you claim to have reached.
The dealer's excuse for the continuing lack of mileage (of all 4 cares, mind) was the unrealistc EU mileage testing cycle, which I think is reasonable theory.
One of the cars was replaced by a newer model because the motor kept failing, eventually the dealer provided a Twingo because one of the 4 cars being out of order was normal.

In July they ordered 4 Yaris hybrids as a replacement, despite the Renautl dealer offering 4 Twngos for the price of 3(!)

Again, I don't know if EVs in general are problematic, but Renault EVs certainly are. Only an option if you have money to burn and a proper car as backup.

There's more to car economics thoug. If you want to get a new gen battery you have to pay off something. Hint, the cost of driving most cars is not the gasoline, but the value reduction; how much does the price of your car fall for every 100 km.... This is ofc specific for the make and year.

Honestly what's the point of fully electronic vehicles anyway? I mean electric is wonderful for city driving and so on but hybrid just makes a lot more sense in general, get a bit of help from the electric motor and get up to speed and then just use a small maybe 60hp internal combustion engine to maintain speed, lots of range, the engine weigh's maybe 100kg at most. Also, internal combustion engines with the Atkinson's cycle and so on at constant rpm are very efficient machines.

i don't talk about analysists, or media, but if you think there is as much oil as lithium on the earth you have a problem

>how much does the price of your car fall for every 100 km
>Porsche
KeK

>Future is now
forbes.com/sites/peterlyon/2017/01/31/nissans-note-e-power-a-glimpse-at-the-hybrid-car-of-the-future/#1511dbdd7797

Why would that matter? You don't need a few gallons of lithium every month.
A tesla model S uses 70 kg of Lithium.......that is all the Lithium it will ever use. You don't have to refill it.

>70 kg of Lithium is like 10 000 smartphone
no problem in sight ?

this

>The e-Power has a 40kW electric motor that is exactly half as potent as the Leaf’s while the e-Power’s 1.5kWh battery pack is 1/20 the size of the Leaf.
Nah, I think that' means you pay the same as for an EV, but you're left with having to fuel it gasoline. The 2018 Leaf will be tits though. Irnoically, current leaf orders plummeted, because everybody awaits the newer version.....so the retailer slashed the price down to 10'000 $ for a new EV.

i got some

And 10'000 iphone X will cost like 13 million dollars WOAH! Really made me think about it. Almonds activated.

BMW a shit.

don't forget to add this to your Zoe

I can not wait to see the electric plane which represents 10,000 tesla and the rocket which represents 10 000 electric planes

Cars without an ICE are truly the most retarded, invention ever, i mean the thing weighs only like 80kg or something, that's a drop in the bucket considering they're all heavy as fuck anyway.

I really wish these cars would be as cheap as my civic and get as good range as my civic. My 2014 civic gets 35mpg average and can go over 400 miles on a single tank. It's more like 450 if I use nothing but highway. Few of these electric cars are even getting over 300 miles on a single charge and the few that actually do cost gobs more than my civic does

eclusive charging stations are already an idea Tesla has said they are ok with. also electric still need dif fluid, brakes, tires, brake fluid, and depending on steering system can still use hydraulic steering.

Considering the average lifetime of current EVs all you'll go through is a couple sets of tires and maybe brake pads (EVs hardly use them) before the battery is junk and the car meets the crusher anyways.

>nedc range
>400 km
Come OP don't be a nigger and subtract a third for summer range and half for winter range

false. EVs last much longer than ICE vehicles.

68% of people commute less than 30 miles a day. 1/200 commute more than 100 miles a day. Average commuting speed is 29mph. Even base 2017 LEAFs are more than adequate for most people.

not to mention, it's easy to recycle batteries. They're basically rare earth metal rich ore.

cobalt is the one interesting case; USGS says we have 7mil mT in world reserves. Assuming .2kg Co /kwh doesnt change much, that'll run out in 2040 or so. But most cobalt comes as a byproduct of nickel(?) mining, so if we actually look for it in the first place there won't be a problem.

Why would you even get a car if all you're gonna do is commute? might as well get a bus pass.

>subtract a third for summer range and half for winter range
OP here. I rented it in degrees close to 5°C. I definitely didn't see such a decrease. I reckon you could do over 400 km/h in nice conditions. NEDC standard isn't THAT shitty, but then once you're in the car it's not easy to keep yourself from trying the accelerations. But I reckon once your initial hype settles you drive it normally and do over 350 km. Like I said, I rented it and that's what I reckon it should do. I was really nervous that I was going to see the expected mileage drop faster than we were travelling but that wasn't the case.

> 1/200 commute more than 100 miles a day.
What's your point? EV is especially economic for long commuters who can then charge at work or during the night. It can do well over 100 miles daily.

>before the battery is junk and the car meets the crusher anyways.
That doesn't really happen the way its supposed to happen in the made up theoretical world of some media "analysts". Like I mentioned previously, the battery technology can be made very resiliant. You'd have a leaf who lost 50% of its battery in 7 years, but you also have a chevy Volt, who lost virtually no battery life after 300'000 miles (I know, your ICE engine wont last that long so it doesn't matter to you (because you don't think you need or deserve anything better than an ICE engine), but for sake of discussion statistics matters)

greencarreports.com/news/1110149_tesla-model-s-battery-life-what-the-data-show-so-far

What *do* you do in your car?

>ICE engine
>won't last 300,000 miles
AMC 4.0L I6 says hi.
No end of service mileage. The engine will go as long as has exists.

>le one legendary ICE engine went past 100'000 mile epic maymay

Let's be reasonable here. Even ICE cars of highest pricerange are not expected to pass the 300'000 miles.

The normal version looks like such a goofy egg on wheels, I want them to put the e-Sport into production already. Instant torque + RenaultSport chassis = yes please.

The narrower roof at the back makes it loo retard-ey. Maybe Tesla really is the only one who is serious about making EVs that arent at least a little bit ridiculous.

What is this guy doing?

Probably following the manual: never fully discharge the battery, don't leave it empty for prolonged amount of time, etc.

Basically, no fun allowed mode.

just IMO

my point was just that; even current EVs work for most people

oh, and here's that same chart with a complete y axis. Puts it into perspective; batteries are gonna last a fucking long time.

yeah. Just look at service recommended for something like the bolt - rotations every 10k or whatever, breaks every so often, perhaps a battery chemistry check or something every couple years.... that's it. Small repair shops are gonna be huge losers in the upcoming EV adoption explosion

whoops forgot image

Battery leasing costs are more than I pay for gas and taxes right now. Otherwise I would buy one. They consider everything over 75% capacity as not replaceable and who knows if the replacement battery even has more than 80%. Also battery prices are constantly going down. Your stupid Renault Bank contract is not.

in-warranty battery replacement?

I don't like it, but that's because I don't like any electric cars.

Renault = piece of shit cars, they put shit in everything they made, literary shit company

Older zoes had half the range