What is your honest opinion on American cars?

What is your honest opinion on American cars?

I cheap like rwd v8s, so I’m a fan

dumbed down by the customers themself

Good in America.
Bad nearly everywhere else.

Not much more to say really.

Modern "American" cars are German anyway.

total garbage

Idk why this is a meme. It's like that because it lowers the price, and it's light.

No different than any other country's cars. They're all plastic cheap shit these days.

fine when r&d have an actual budget or qc.

>Modern cars
>Cheaper
Wew

>Have metal spoiler
>someone nicks it in the parking lot and takes off the paint
>can't afford to fix it straight away
>all the salt on the road rusts it off

I've rented and driven few cars in the US. All of them had no fucking engine braking (all of them were auto). It's awful.

America best fuck the rest and cuck the euro pest

u.s. cars were the best before they started making them in mexico

American cars are good only if you live in the US. parts avaliblilty makes maintaining them cheap and easy. Also I think that more people here want to do work on thier cars themselves meaning ease of repairs is a market driver, but I've never owned anything past 1995 so this may no longer be true.

Cheap versions of australian cars and any time australian cars appear in america they make them look gay to make other american cars look cool.

China tier desu

Forget price entirely. Fibreglass and other composites are god-tier body materials and I fail to see why anybody would criticise a car for using them. They dent far less easily, hold paint better in the event of a dent, are light, and don't rust.

Alpha platform=/=Zeta.
Alpha platform>Zeta.

Enjoy your camaros kangaroos.

Can someone please tell me exactly why a plastic rear bumper is bad? It's not a spot you're supposed to be touching, it's lightweight, it won't rust, it'll be cheap to replace, makes sense to me.
>hurhur da burger car squish when I press it

I dont drive them but Euros seem to like Ford and Corvette

>hold paint better in the event of a dent
No, in the event of any permanent deformation the paint splinters off.
But that's not fiber glass, that's plastic. Because that's the rear bumper. Literally every single car in the world is built with a plastic rear bumper.

I don’t like them and will never own one but they aren’t bad I guess. I’m just not really a boat guy.

It's still cheap material, and the corvette is not a cheap sports car. Look at their German competitors. A cls55 amg has no plastic anywhere, good quality paint, and won't rust unless you neglect the fuck out of it.

How the fuck is a corvette a boat??????

So it's bad because it happens to be cheaper, even though it's a better material? What the fuck kind of logic is that?

Ask yourself this, why is it only the corvette uses fiberglass? The GTR didn't, the amg GTR doesn't, the dodge viper doesn't.

>cls55 amg
>implying this doesn't weigh more than the fucking moon

they use fiberglass and carbon fiber on the corvette because it has a fully aluminum chassis underneath. this is the strongest and lightest design possible without a full carbon chassis (out of the corvette's intended price bracket). Its made to be lightweight and strong and easily enough to manufacture

it's basically like a NASCAR or something. They have a steel tube structure with a fiberglass shell

>make racecars for the street
>LOL ITS NOT MADE OUT OF STEEL

fucking eurofags

This is why I hate talking about ameican sports cars with an American. You guys get fucking booty blasted the instant anyone criticizes your cars. I can sit at a pub with some random lads and talk American sports cars and have a great conversation.

>, why is it only the corvette uses fiberglass?

nigger, most cars are made out of fiberglass.

>the GTR didn't

what is it made out of then?

protip: its fiberglass

>inb4 CARBAN FIBA

depending on the corvette you can get ones with carbon just about everything

>the Corvette is not a cheap sports car
If you compare it to a BRZ or Mustang, no. If you compare it to things it competes with in performance like 570S, Huracan, NSX, 911 Turbo, it's pretty fucking cheap. I can buy a C6 Z06 for under 40k, and have a 500hp 3000lbs sports car that will go for 300k miles with basic maintenance.

It's funny how you didn't say c7 z06.

>i can talk trash on americans with my eurofag friends and they don't even care

no shit

also way to stray completely off topic. The whole corvette made out of plastic thing is just because clarkson pointed out how flexible the cars' panels are

if you weren't choking down semen all day you might realize this is a design feature

>lighter
>keeps the weight inbound and not at the ass

1. It's not the only one, I can tell you right now the Viper' s body for at least one generation had plenty of fiberglass
2. That's the appeal to population fallacy. Look at fibreglass as a material objectively instead of following the crowd.

I never said trash talking. Just like all things in the car world, there are pro and cons. American sports cars have there ups and downs, but you cannot argue that with an American. You think your sports cars are flawless and God's gift to man, whereas the rest of the world can see your cars have flaws.

That's just silly. Every car has flaws and pros. You just chose a terrible subject, calling fiber panels bad for no reason.

I didn't say anything about the panels...

>A cls55 amg has no plastic anywhere
Except the bumpers, the door handles, the interior bits.

>flaws

this isn't a flaw though. its not even close to a flaw

in fact this chassis design is the reason the corvette is so capable

you can literally strip all the panels off a corvette and you're left with a open chassis race car

This is BY FAR the best way to mass produce a car. By far. You fail to realize the INANE cost of a full aluminum chassis; so much so that ONLY the Z06 model corvette's chassis is actually aluminum. the base-corvettes for c5/6 are made out of steel chassis.

GM first used this design on SATURN vehicles - it makes them lighter, and easier to mass produce, while making a better handling car (lighter with better weight distribution) and also it can't rust and it can't be dented (you can take a hit a corvette and the panels will just flex)

my last car was a '99 Pontiac Trans Am which uses a lot of the same tech as the corvette and it had fiberglass everything. despite being a massive car it was only 3400 lb and had near perfect weight distribution

these cars are great, you can get in a low speed collision without leaving a scratch

I dont think he is talking about corvettes specifically

I love how Veeky Forums thinks the corvette is some huge unwieldy muscle car or some shit

it's like they've never even been next to one. they're small. low to the ground. wide as fuck; "handles like a dream" and extremely capable

full-tilt sports cars made for highspeed cornering and driver enjoyment

LOL ITS A BOAT

It's mainly the ass blasted yuros.

>What is your honest opinion on American cars?
garbage. This is why they don't sell them outside of america.
They're so bad even americans dont buy them.

Corvettes have always been super cars.
I've never driven one but look at the suspension design and it's obvious.
I drive European cars, but every time I've driven an American car sports car I've absolutely loved its handling characteristics.
Straight fucking hoots to drive. I think the meme that American cars can't handle is just that, a meme.

Cheap and poorly engineered it doesn't take a genius to tell there build quality and engineering sucks.

As an American who buys exclusively American cars for 20 years plus let me tell you that the biggest problem with American cars is Quality with a capital Q meaning too much variation ("good" is geometrically better than "bad") both across make and model.

You MUST know which models are good AND be able to recognize good examples of those models, not just options packages but condition and even original assembly which tends to be much better on top trim packages but not always

Buy the right $5000 truck or pony car and you'll be fucking blown away by what you get for your money. Buy the WRONG $5000 Sebring and you'll hate American cars forever.

Hey can you tell me where the automobile was invented?

>use fiberglass bumper cover
>bad engineering

They should just use steel bump-

>oh wait

>tl;dr there's a difference between a corvette and a sebring

no shit bro dude

Even at the same price point though. Not just that, but there's an enormous difference between a good corvette and a bad corvette. However if the question is entirely about what I think of the flex in fiberglass Corvette panels, I think it's a nonissue.

Most of them pure fucking trash only bought because the US citizens are being held ransom by GM. Either they buy the shitty cars or they get branded unamerican and GM will go bankrupt and the taxpayers have to bail them out again.
Only true great american car is the fuckign snek.
It's the only car that has earned my respect and kept it through numerous real life encounters.
All muscle cars have is loud noise and great looks. They do literally fucking nothing else.

I'd rather save up and get an NSX or 911, a car without the negative boomerfag connotations that means I'm forced to go to a faggy car meet, park next to identical corvette and talk about how many aftermarket chrome painted plastic pieces I've managed to attach to my GM piece of shit this week.
porsche meets happen when they discover other 911 owners also came to the track day.

drive a jap car.
Euro and murrifat cars are both pigfat and slow

I can’t imagine being this butthurt about a corvette

the (original) NSX is my favorite car of all time but a decent Corvette will run circles around it and actually has potential

911 isn't even comparable. you can buy like 3 corvettes for one 911

>car shows
>special snowflake factor

What about actually driving the car you fucking faggot

>>a car without the negative boomerfag connotations that means I'm forced to go to a faggy car meet, park next to identical corvette and talk about how many aftermarket chrome painted plastic pieces I've managed to attach to my GM piece of shit this week
>forced
Plaster your Corvette with anime stickers and K20 swap it if you fucking feel like it, nobody is fucking forcing you to do anything.
>caring about what people think of you
Just get a silver Corolla and blend into the background, I guarantee nobody will have an opinion on you ever.

>bad corvette

as the previous owner of a beat to shit high mileage LS1 car I can say that you're wrong. there is no bad corvette

France

Good engines, shit interiors.

No that’s where the assault automobile was invented.

An LS1 or Cummins is great whatever's wrapped around it assuming you know enough about cars to do preventative maintenance but unmodified malaise era corvettes are bad.

manly rwd v8 cars that are considered "cool" by most of people, even those who arent into cars, whats not to love ? id give my virginity for a hellcat

Honestly, I think American cars have the potential to be absolutely amazing. They have some of the best ideas around traditional engines and layouts in the world.

The only problem with American cars are Americans.

They spoil them with bad taste, and lame design, and appalling workmanship. There is so much potential there, but it's all wasted. The Best American car ever, was mostly British. the AC Cobra was a work of pure art. And showed exactly what the US could achieve with a little guidance. American power and drive alongside British ingenuity and style. A match made in heaven. Too bad it was so short lived.

The AC Cobra is a bit overrated and were overshadowed by the GT40s that came afterwards. 2005 Ford GTs are basically GT40s for the modern era (fuck that numale ""GT"" ecoboost garbage it isn't even worth bringing up and is a disgrace) and showed what americans could do on their own and would easily be the best american car ever if you like Carroll Shelby's work (there is also a modern take on the AC Cobra by Carroll Shelby himself pic related)

I wouldn't even call the AC Cobra the best US/Foreign car collaboration, the New NSX should get that vote.

Honestly..

Uk here..

Always thought they have something fishy going on.

They never build for export and when they do its only the super rares..

Maybe someone could point out an example but all i can think about is rebadged deyhoo's or some sht.

Seen a few left hand drive corvettes but even then lhd.

Seen a few new 5.0 mustamgs so maybe your not all fictional internet memes.

Time will tell.

God there’s nothing on earth more insufferable than a faggot euro with his undeserved smugness.

Eat a fucking dick you faggot

What's so awful about the new GT? If anytbing it's more true to the old GT40's heritage, being designed as an actual race car first and not a nostalgia-grab first. Not a halo car, a race car.

>They never build for export and when they do its only the super rares..

Well you people kind of drive on 2000 year old cattle trails so you wouldn't have much use for a Silverado HD or a Suburban. Even the smallest car they make here (the spark or Fiesta or whatever) is still massive compared tot he average Euro car. They're market is good enough in NA that that don't need to go making pigmy versions to sell in Europe.

>They never build for export
Original explorers come to mind (i think i seen a Top Gear episode talking about them but not sure if they were originally exported), XJ Jeeps, Jeep Wranglers, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Chrysler Voyager, Chrysler 300s that were sold as Chryslers and are currently still sold as Lancias. Chrysler 200s are sold as Lancias (not sure if still being sold over there) PT Cruiser.

Camaros are gaining ground over GT86s in euro sales and the new NSX is heading towards selling better in Europe than the original.

Designing race cars around rules ensuring they are disadvantage to other road cars is the polar opposite approach to how the GT40 was done. Ford also basically wants to behave like Ferrari and even worse than Ferrari they run from comparison test in shame. the new GT in its entirety is nothing like the GT40 beyond "they both raced", even the 2005 Ford GT raced in motorsports, Dodge stratus were raced in motorsports. its just a lame symbolic gesture and nobody will treat class wins like overall wins anyway so the victory is completely hallow. the 2005 Ford GT was America's entry into the 21st century exotic world and Ford was extremely casual about letting anyone review whatever. they made a shit-ton of them (compared to the 1000 limited new ones) and of course you get the benefit of plentiful monstrous american V8 aftermarket support and its why the 2005 is a world record holder.

Most importantly Carroll Shelby is dead and didn't work on the project so most unlike the GT40 in that regard something the 2005 Ford GT benefited from. i could go on about the terrible engine choice but that ties into the before mentioned shitty motorsports that aren't worth anyone's time let alone basing an entire car around it.

"The year 1886 is regarded as the birth year of the modern car, when German inventorKarl Benzbuilt hisBenz Patent-Motorwagen."

something can be cheaply made and still be expensive, user

Jesus Christ you're a retarded. Please so posting and making the rest of us look bad.

>you're a retarded
The ironing!

anyone who thinks plastic bumpers on a car that retails for over 50k new are a bad thing are stupid as fuck

haven't been that great since the early 90's

Can you please explain perhaps why, then, Mr smartypants? Because what he posted is correct.

you would have to hold me at gunpoint before i'd buy that

Too beefy for me and thats the all I have to say honestly and as for the more sporty cars like corvets well they're neat but american cars usally have issues with meme brands like ford that brake down

Would you be calm if I started shit talking Brit cars at your pub, "lad"?

Eternal Virginity : The Post

>911
>car without boomer connotations

Maybe it's not a thing in the US, but in my country literally every 50+ year old with enough money buys a new 911. If they can't afford that they get a used one. It's known as the go-to mid life crisis car here. The Harley of automobiles.

Porsche club and Corvette club have 90% of the members wanting to meet up and park their cars and look.. Mostly boomers.

Track days for both are full of cool people.
BMW Club has the youngest demographic that I've seen. I'd bet mustang or gti is p-good.

Excellent old ones, meh new ones, and a middle ground with mine field flags.

Also, that meh is improving to a “just as good as everything else and they kinda have their own styling” tier.

Oh, also.
Fuck the “performance” style stuff.
‘Vettes and Vipers are ugly as fuck.
Get rekt bitches.

I wait tables at a nice steakhouse, and we get a lot of manufacturing firms in. I overheard some people from Michelin (french firm) say that Americans are 'undisciplined and unproductive' and i think he's right. our cars are just built to look good on paper and in reviews and realistically aren't even close to how good we could make them.

>crymore

As an Australian the Challenger is my dream daily.

>undisciplined and unproductive
Kind of true in a way.
Look at the Mustang GT and Camaro SS. Popular sports cars, but hardly anyone uses the "sport" part. It's just a glorified grocery getter. Both are in no way practical. However that being said, I do like American cars because of how impractical they are. The Dodge Demon is just stupid, buts its stupid cool.

you should go live there

I do live in Australia.

there have only been like 5 or 6 ever made actually worth owning.

Best sports cars.

...no? All of the corvettes are good except for like the first gen, objectively.