Gonna take a road trip through Oregon, Washington, and to Vancouver, BC in the blistering cold winter...

gonna take a road trip through Oregon, Washington, and to Vancouver, BC in the blistering cold winter. what are some essential items that i should keep in the car "just in case"?

Other urls found in this thread:

bchighway.com/regulations/studded-tires.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

not op, i am driving from connecticut to michigan for christmas and am also interested.

Driving through? Chains and a tow rope to get there, charged phone and a warning triangle if you need professional recovery

Most importantly; the ability to recognize the conditions and how it limits you

Definitely a phone charger for the lighter socket. Then the obvious essentials: Ice scraper, first aid kit, sponge for wiping frosted windows, a defrosting liquid if you like, a flashlight. Maybe some 4 flares if you're planning to drive outside cities at night, a warm blanket and depending on how malfunction-prone your car is, a toolbox.
t. European living in harsh northern winters.

Blankets; the emergency survival kind that are really shiny, and the wool fire retardant ones the military use.

MREs, you can eat them cold or warm them up with body heat, they stay good for a long ass time

Flashlights-multiple

Knives-Multiple

Kitty litter or sand, itll help with traction if you get stuck

Shovel, I live in canada so i keep a bigger shovel in my truck but a bigger "e tool" should be ok for "just in case"

Fire starter, multiple

Maps, goddamn if you dont know the area well get as detailed maps as you can, if you cant ead them learn to. A GPS is should be suffice but you want hard copies "just in case"

Also this.

Change of clothes, rain gear.

Sleeping bag, phone and a joint dude and maybe a cold pizza. Then you can last the evening you're stuck in comfort.

Spare gun & shit load of ammo? J/K

Bottle opener for an emergency piss up

>Oregon, Washington, Vancouver
>blistering cold winter

Dude, the lowest ever temperature recorded in Vancouver is just -17C, don't be a pussy.

Just get decent winter tires and check the weather to avoid getting stuck in a blizzard far from populated areas.

t. Russian

>Oregon, Washington, and to Vancouver, BC
So, you'll be using the tame I-5 freeway corridor. And it is rarely blistering cold as Vancouver BC is by the ocean.

bchighway.com/regulations/studded-tires.html

Tire chains or 4x4 Incase some passes get shut down. And be prepared to either get a hotel or to camp in your vehicle for a night or two. Plan your fuel stops and don't get below a quarter tank. Blankets and protein bars. Basic jumper cables and car kit. Should be fine p

Where are you from? How cold is in your place in winter?

>calling others pussies
>ignores the fact that no matter how tough or hardcore you are that cold can be fucking dangerous if unprepared

t. leaf who nearly died in a snowstorm in the American deep south due to cockiness

i don't think it really gets that cold along the coast user.

other anons seem to have covered most of the basics. I'll add something i hear from the guru's - get a metal coffee can and a pack of tea light candles. putting the candle in the coffee can is enough to keep you from freezing to death even in harsh conditions.

OP here. thank you for all the tips. I'm renting a car, so snow tires is not an option here. it's a small Hyundai so space is also limited but i will bring at least a shovel, flashlight, tire chains, blanket, knife, firestarter, and ration.

i will probably try avoid out-of-city commute at night. i have planned the trip so that most long distance drives are happen during the day.

How did this happen leaf?

Get a phone charger for the car. You really don't want to be stranded with a dead battery in your phone.

A gallon jug or two of sand and/or grit. I have an entire chest of it next to my house, helped me up my driveway countless times.

>blistering cold
>vancouver and PNW coast

I think we might actually get more snow in Las Vegas. Bring a sweater and some jerky

You know they're calling for significantly above average temperature and below average precipitation for all of North America, right? You might have to wait a few years for your winter expedition. Oh wait you'll need to go back in time because global warming has ruined winter.

On top of what has been already mentioned. Take cat litter or sand with you. If you get stuck in snow or mud, throwing some under your tires will help you get grip.

Watch out for people in Oregon when snow hits the ground. Everyone becomes fucking retarded when it does. I swear some motherfuckers want to get stuck or slide into you. The roads aren't bad when it snows, it's the people.

>It’s important to note you can only use studded tires on the front wheels if you’re using them on rear wheels also (at least one studded tire per rear wheel). This means if you have a rear wheel drive vehicle you usually only use the studded tires on the rear wheels; however if you have a front wheel drive vehicle and use studded tires on the front wheels you must mount studded tires on the rear wheels also.

>use studs where they matter the least

Fucking hell I can see why so many people eat shit in winter. Just understeer my shit up.

Yo I'm from Oregon last year the roads we're bad. Dunno about this year it's always different supposedly it's going to be colder and shorter from El nino. Who knows though, most years we have it easy.

People are tards though.

>jump pack
>nuts, beef jerky
>a few lighters
>snow tires
>phone and charger
>tow rope or AAA membership
>patience

The last one is the most important. Don't ride peoples asses, Take your time

I live in probably the worst winter climate in the U.S.

Rural northern Michigan

I live in vancouver, I sometimes don't bother switching out the summer tires on my car

Emergency blanket(tin foil kind or at least something waterproof)
Spare wool blanket(wool retains most of it's insulating abilities even wet)
Spare sweater
Ski socks
Gloves
Hat
Lighter, matches, flint stick
Water( I had a case in my hatchback all winter here in Toronto and never had a bottle burst just by wrapping it in the blanket)
Spare fuses
Flashlight or headlamp
Crank flashlight or flashlight/radio combo
Jumper cables
Sand, kitty litter or cardboard boxes to aid traction
Shovel
Ice scrapper with brush
Extra driver side wiper blade
Tool kit (including a baseball bat or pry bar to help remove stuck on wheels)
2x4 piece of wood (to bolt the scissor jack to for greater weight distribution and stability)
1 L of oil
Rags or paper towel
Toilet paper roll(instead of facial tissues but other uses as well)
Tire pressure gauge

>everyone go check now to see if your spare tire is properly inflated

Magnesium fire starter
First aid kit
Flares
Blankets (preferably the shinny kind)
Toolkit
Lots of food you can keep for a long time
Winter clothing
Multi-tool
Knife
Tow rope
Jumper cables
Water
Entrenching tool
Ice scrapper

road trip up the I-5? you don't even need winter tires kek

A cheap pistol and one bullet

I'm also from Oregon. I'm probably just still salty from last year. I got tired of avoiding idiots getting stuck, sliding, or stopping on a hill in their 4x4 trucks and subaru's.