Subaru EJ205 Stroker Build

Okay b/o/ys I'm back and I wanted to have someone else "check my work".

I have a 2003 Bugeye WRX that I threw a rod bearing in. I have since decided to rebuild the engine with a stroker kit. This means a new nitrided EJ257 crankshaft, Manley H-beam forged rods, Manley or JE +0.5mm overbore forged pistons, and ACL race bearings. This will take the car up to a displacement of 2.12L
The Crank, rods and pistons will all be balanced in the block and of course the block will be honed to match the slightly oversized pistons.
So I'm looking really good on my bottom end.

I'm curious as to any ideas for the top end. I'm thinking of doing a slight PnP while I have the heads off, this will mostly be a casting cleanup as I'm no flow professional. Obviously new OEM headgaskets. But I have a question as to a few other things.
I expect my valves to be fine although I should probably reseat them? I suppose I should probably go with new valve stem seals. If my power goal is around 350-400whp should I be looking into ARP head bolts? I don't know if anyone has experience with head float on engines with high boost. I've heard the OEM fasteners are pretty good, but I wanted to hear more on this. Valve springs should be fine as the engine only has 160k on her. Also, should I go with an upgraded oil pump or will OEM be fine?

Obviously I'm going to be asking my tuner for his opinion as well but I figured Veeky Forums has some guys with some real experience that might be able to pitch in some helpful notes.

(Pic is not my car, just a fantastic picture)

Also I plan on going with a TD05-16g that I have recently rebuilt. I know this can't produce my goal power but it's a step up from the TD04 I have now and I plan to go larger in the future. I plan to port and polish my TD05 as well.
I am going with Moore Blast Plates for my 5-speed transmission. I've heard great things from multiple tuners and from other customers on forums. It's way cheaper than an STI 6-speed and I can always upgrade to the 6-speed in another 5-10 years. It's not needed right now.
To begin with, I plan to go with OEM uncapped and flow tested injectors along with an upgraded fuel pump. I plan to modify my fuel rails into paralelle to avoid the lean Cylinder 3 condition.
I plan to just go with an STI top mount IC for now. And I'm considering some water injection for extra cooling. I know meth injection could make more power but it just makes everything a little more complex and I need to make sure I always have meth and water premix with me and it's just extra hassle where water injection won't be.
Also upgrading to the GM 3-port EBC.
Already have an upgraded downpipe and uppipe although I'm considering an external wastegate. Not sure if it would be worth it though because a PnP turbo will have pretty good wastegate control.

Pic related is my car.

I also have Prodrive lowering springs that are ready to be installed that will lower the car 0.75".

I know people are going to say it too. This is a Bugeye WRX not an STI. The great USA never got the Bugeye STI and the previous had already installed a front clip from Japan and a Blobeye wing from Japan when I purchased the car. He also already installed the mud flaps. Hopefully this engine build will help to justify the STI exterior.

I did add the link Impreza badge though, which I think just looks great.

Selfbump with another picture

Keep it stock faggot. Or sell it and buy something actually good.

How much is that whole build? Why not sti swap?

You vs the guy she tells you not to worry about

OP you aren't doing anything unique or special here. Buy a car that actually does what you want with out requiring thousands and thousands of dollars to redesign.

At the end of the day it's still going to be a bugeye wrx.

this

Nah this is one of my dream cars and I love it to death.

An EJ207 engine is around $3500 right now. The parts for a stroker are under $2000. I end up with an engine that can take more power and it's more unique. Trust me, I considered a JDM EJ207 swap!

The thing is, I'll have an AWD Bugeye for under $9000 when this is all said and done. Nothing in its price range will be able to touch it. It's actually quite the deal. And it's just enough special snowflake for me.

Pic related is my other car.

Lol that's a guy at my apartment complex with a Stage 1 tune on his WRX. I had a Stage 2 on my car and I was barely quicker than him. But really cool guy, he seems excited about my build.

That's gonna be alot more in labor, I'd rather sti swap and not deal with finding the perfect tuner that won't blow your engine, you at least know you'll need a base map before you run the built engine

I'm doing the labor myself with the cousin of my girlfriend who has done numerous engine swaps from Honda 4cyls to Ford V8s in trucks. There's a great machine shop just down the road as well.

Then I'm going with a E-tune from AWD Tuning who's is know for being phenomenal. They will give me a base tune, and it'll take some emailing back and forth, but I'll eventually have a very well tuned car.

Again, I'm just looking for advice on building the engine. I've already decided what I want to do.
Like am I fine to resuse my oem valves? At what power levels should I start to be concerned about head float? Should I go with an upgraded oil pump?

Should be asking on subaru forum, very few here know subaru engine builds

Dude, weed. Lmao

>my apartment complex
Please stop
Only like 30% of Veeky Forums even owns a car and most of them don't work on it themselves. I assure you you are the most knowledgable person here in the subject of building your goal car.

I don't really smoke. Takes time and money away from doing anything productive.
I also don't vape; I don't see why would I voluntarily give myself an addiction to nicotine.

Yeah I plan to, but I always see these cancerous threads on Veeky Forums and I thought, let's have a real thread about someone actually modifying a car they own and see if I can bring out one of the few Veeky Forumstists that have experience building engines. I knew the chances weren't real good, but it's always worth a try.

Apartment complex just because I'm a college student. I'm a junior in Aerospace Engineering so I'll be gone in two years. I plan to buy a house with a 2+ car garage once I'm settled into my job.
There might be someone out there that knows more, but I know the chances are slim to none. Always worth it to ask though and figured I'd at least have a few anons interested.

Should I continue to post a thread every few weeks or month with updates?

Lol what a retard
stockfags are okay when it's rare or old cars they insist on keeping stock, but it's a fucking STI my nigga. What's the point of keeping it stock?

Why would you stroke the 2.0 liter and not the 2.5? Figured any semi closed deck design Subaru can make decent power, what's up with being half a liter down?

It's not even an STI, it's just a WRX. So literally nothing of value.

The 2.0 is actually considered the better engine in many cases. Plus I get to use the block I already own. The 2.0l actually has thicker cylinder walls than the 2.5l.
Stroking the 2.5l also means a custom crankshaft. A stroked 2.0l just uses the OEM forged 2.5l crankshaft!
The best thing is to buy a closed deck 2.5l block and stroke it with forged internals, but that's going to cost around $7000 in parts. Why do that when I'll have a 500whp capable engine? I don't plan to go after more than that because then you get into massive turbo lag anyways which isn't what I want. I don't want a drag car.

Ah understood, thanks for the clarification. I'm more of an EA series guy after my 251 blew on me.

Completely understand! People seem to encounter way more issues with the 2.5l vs the 2.0l. I think it's because the 2.5 is literally a 125% version of the 2.0 aka it was a cheap way for Subaru to meet US emissions.
It literally took years for Subaru to figure how the heck to make the 2.5l as good as the 2.0l hence why the US was the only one to get the 2.5 in the STI instead of the 2.0 for a long time.

How many different variants of the STI engine is there between 2004-2007 in america?

>Should I continue to post a thread every few weeks or month with updates?
Yeah sure, better than most shit here I guess.

It was just the EJ257 in America but small changes were made in different years as they tried to tweak the engine.
Technically it was just one engine up until the 2017 STI but there are difference every couple of years as they tried to fix different issues, like the sodium filled valves they tried. Some things are speculated like bearing clearances but aren't really well known.

That was my thought process too.

Atleast get a Semi closed block or your build will grenade itself on the first pull. Ej205s were a mistakr

>Atleast get a Semi closed block or your build will grenade itself on the first pull.
Actually no. A closed deck block shouldn't be an idea in your head until at least 500whp where you start having to worry about ovaling. The open deck of the EJ205 is known to be perfectly fine within a perfectly reasonable power range.

didn't this generation of wrx's have really weak transmissiosn?

I'd go to subaru specific forums if you want real answers. Veeky Forums is great for general discussion and shitposting but you most likely won't run across anyone knowledgeable in building a subaru here, and even if you did you'd probably want multiple second opinions before you do any sort of engine build.

That being said, good luck my dude chase your dreams and make them reality.

Dont drive like a retard and its fine

Thanks my man! I figured it was worth a shot in the dark here. Is that your ZZW30? Looks gorgeous.

The transmission housing is very thin so when you increase torque and launch the car, it wants to twist the transmission which is what ends up breaking gears because they aren't alligned right.
I plan on installing Moore Performance Blast Plates which bolts around the transmission housing and greatly strengthens the structural rigidity. Moore claims 600whp on the 5-speed with their plates and there are multiple testimonials from guys on forums running well over 400whp on the 5-speeds with the blast plates.

You'll blow gears around 350whp by just flooring it in 3rd gear on the 5-speed from the large increase in torque load. So it's fine for bolt ons as long as you aren't launching it, but build up some power and it does become a factor.

I hope not, I stalled quite tremendously today and I've been feeling awful about it ever since