Cheap, capable hybrid

Hi Veeky Forums im looking for your opinion on the cheapest hybrid i can get new. Requirements are that it has to not be shitty quality, comfy for road trips and not completely useless on dirt because i like camping.

Looking for hybrids because i want dat great gas milage. Also open to EV but i live in an apartment but might be moving into my gfs house.

Get a Prius, unironically they're good

Chevy volt. You can get a decent used one for 15k. You’ll use zero gas except for maintenance burn if you drive under 35 miles a day or 70 if you can charge at work.

/thread
Prius was rated the cheapest car to own over a 10 year period.

Look at a Fusion Hybrid. They're pretty comfy, especially in the titanium trim, the trunk is a bit gyped due to battery placement but I'd take one over a Prius any day.

Got it. But which one? Prime, C, V, or just the regular?

Regular Prius. Ideally the Gen III, since the current one is hideous.

Prius C = Yaris Hybrid, a cheap, nasty car with an expensive powertrain
Prius V = not unless you need a minivan for some reason

Im not too sure I'd like a sedan. Im looking for more of a hatchback since id prefer the storage to keep my gear and possibly sleep out of for car camping.

I got hybrid badges and wheels for my GFs 8th gen Civic so she can use her college's free hybrid and ev parking lol

A used adv bike with bags?
Cheap
Good mpg
Off-road capable.
Can carry all the gear you need, and go go places most 4 wheeled things can only dream of.

They’re all worse than the volt.

>burger engineering meets nigger craftsmanship
dropped.

To be honest, im a little weary of anything that isnt japanese but im going to look i to it anyway since i think the bolt is great.

How long is your commute? Lots of traffic?

>used Prius (or Auris hybrid if in EU)
>LPG trifuel conversion

UNSTOPPABLE

What's Veeky Forumss opinion on the CT200h? In my country they're more common than Prii

They're a sportier version of the Prius with more road feel and harder suspension. How the Prius should have been.

About 40 miles a day and low to moderate.

Hybrid drivetrain does nothing in those conditions.

You'll have to go at least after plugin Prius.

No LPG in my country. Shit sucks.

what the fuck? are you retarded?

Explain yoself nigga

You wouldn’t be using much gas at all with a volt

Prius only has regenerative breaking system. It works very well in heavy stop and go traffic but if your commute is just open road with very little stopping/slowing down there's nowhere to get energy from and there's very little benefit from the system.

Okay well that makes sense if thats the case. Any suggestions that still meet my criteria without necessarily being a hybrid?

An inexpensive diesel car of some sort. For the mpg.
A suburu for more off road but no mpg
Or a motorcycle as was mentioned previously.

Open to diesels.. probably gping to look into some good ones now. Any suggestions off the top? Thanks

The Volt is more efficient than the Prius only if you have somewhere to charge it. The Volt gets 37 mpg combined when using gas, compared to the 50 mpg combined the Prius gets. Used first gen Volts seem to be going for about $5,000 more than used third gen Priuses. Depending on your access to charging and how far you drive between charges, the savings might more than make up for the price difference. The Volt is rated for 38 miles on a charge and 37 mpg combined while using gas. If you drive 75 miles, you average 75 mpg for the trip.

Besides being less comfortable to drive, how is the CT200h sportier? My understanding is that its 0-60 is around 10 seconds.

>tfw unironically planning on buying a 2nd or 3rd gen Prius in the next few years
try and stop me

the Volt will do 40 miles fully electric. Great if you plug it in at home. Can be had for around $13k nowadays.

A nice gen3 prius is around $10k, but as mentioned isn't ideal for your commute. It will still get good mpg and be okay all around, but for an extra $3k up front you can essentially get rid of your daily fuel costs with the Volt.

Volts are also notoriously good in terms of battery decay. Cars with 200k+ miles have scarcely lost 1 to 2 miles of range. Some have lost none. GM also warranties the car to I believe 100k miles.

Yeah my hybrid vehicle technology professor has a Volt and swears by it. It's the only true series hybrid on the market, with the gas engine not physically connected to the wheels at all. The EV mode range is impressive