Sup, Veeky Forums

Sup, Veeky Forums

Why is it not common courtesy or an unwritten rule (or ideally, the law) that if you are holding up a bunch of traffic to pull over/slow down and let drivers behind you pass? Especially if you are driving below the speed limit

I encounter this shit every fucking day driving around backwards ass single carriageway country roads and it's infuriating and I have to wait until a decent straight to overtake these fucks.

Are there any slow drivers here? If so why do you make everyone else suffer? It's not too much to just be able to go at or slightly over the speed limit.

Also, what is objectively the worst speed to be behind someone in this situation, and why is it 40mph/60kmh?

Other urls found in this thread:

leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=VEH§ionNum=21656.
youtu.be/NX16WQjIWxY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Unless there's a fucking blizzard you should be fined for going below the speed limit.

>(((minivan drivers)))

>mfw i usually go 10 under and there's nothing you can do about it

Once I made the mistake of letting my (old, slow) friend drive my car
>40mph road
>one lane per sense, double yellow line
>normal traffic does 50 +/- 2 mph
>he was doing 30-35mph
>20 cars behind us
>I never felt more scared in my life in a car

What do you have to gain from this though, what's the point?

>Why is it not common courtesy or an unwritten rule (or ideally, the law) that if you are holding up a bunch of traffic to pull over/slow down and let drivers behind you pass?

Are you literally autistic? Do you not understand basic human interactions?

Every fucking day on the road I take to work. Speed limit is 65 and there's always assholes going 55-60. I don't understand why you can't got 5 for miles per hour and at least do the speed limit.

Because it makes fags like you cry

Well I can always overtake you.

well it is common courtesy and it does happen a lot, you just only notice it when someone is being a dickhead

however, there are also a lot of entitled americans who do not have the common courtesy, they are the same people that get butthurt and pseed up when someone passes them or motorcycles lanesplitting around them

why they get so upset over these things? i have no idea

It does happen occasionally, yeah, but more often than not you're gonna be waiting until they pull off at a junction or you get a chance to overtake.

One problem I think as well is that many drivers are pretty oblivious to shit going on around them, I mean, there's lots of people you can tell they aren't looking in their mirrors like, ever, you can tell they have no idea you're even there

In california it is the law.
"On a two-lane highway where passing is unsafe because of traffic in the opposite direction or other conditions, any vehicle proceeding upon the highway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at that time, behind which five or more vehicles are formed in line, shall turn off the roadway at the nearest place designated as a turnout by signs erected by the authority having jurisdiction over the highway, or wherever sufficient area for a safe turnout exists, in order to permit the vehicles following it to proceed"

forgot source:
leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=VEH§ionNum=21656.

Nice.

I just find it really strange that this never became standard practice on roads worldwide

I once shot out a guys tires for doing this on purpose.

Every now and then California does something right.

Women

as far as i know obstructing traffic is illegal
apparently in nz we deal with these guys quite spectacularly.
>be my cousin
>on motorway
>in work ute
>70/100 because some corolla or something up ahead
>ass wipe corolla speeds up at overtaking lanes
>there's like 30 cars pilled up cause of this cunt
>enter hilux
>over landing monster truck tier mods
>puts on train horn and midnight sun trail lights
>pulls out into on coming traffic
>people just the the fuck out of his way
>speeds past everyone
>gets to corolla
>brake checks the cunt off the road
>pins him in a ditch
>massive cunt gets out and starts punching the drivers window and yelling louder than god
>cheers and toots of approval ring out as the freed commuters speed past

Floridians do this shit on mountain roads up here in SC & NC for some fucking reason.

Everybody with any sense will obey the sign that says denotes pull offs for slow moving cars.

I’ll just pass you
What are you gonna do about it then? Cry?

Why do people think the passing lane is made for them to break the law?

I'll take "Things that didn't happen" for $350

>get stuck behind slow moving traffic
>asshole in German car behind me tailgating
>move over
>he gets stuck behind the traffic
>laugh all the way home

Same rule exists in Alaska mainly because all the roads are only two lanes.

The courteous do. However, those going slow and not letting people by are probably those that don't signal or double tap the brake pedal to let you know they're stopping soon. They're those that don't flash their high beams to let tractor trailers know they're safe to get back over.

>Riding with a friend in his super shitty $400 s10
>He bought it from his buddy that wrapped it around a tree, passenger door and box have been mangled
>We're heading down M33 and some guy in a Subaru Forester won't let us pass
>He's bouncing between 40-45 in a 55, flow is usually 60-65
>Anytime my buddy tries to pass in the 4 cylinder 5 speed S10 the Forester speeds up
>Unfortunately for us the S10 just can't compete
>Friend is steaming at this point
>Starts tailgating the guy, flashing his LED light bars, honking his horn
>Forester brake checks my mate and we nearly collide
>Friend shouts out his window, "So that's how it's going to be!" and drops to either second or third
>Slams into the Forester and puts the little 2.2 to work
>I'm literally holy fucking at this point
>I always knew my mate had road rage but I've never seen anything like this
>Forester is just laying on the brakes and my mate is pumping the clutch
>The little 2.2 would bog down and then scream as he treated the clutch like an air pump
>Eventually friend turned off some side road and started hauling ass away
>We're doing 95 in a shitbox 2.2 s10 fleeing the Forester
>I'm holding on for my life as I know the condition of the tires at all four corners
>Eventually lost the Forester
>Got out and invested
>Front 32" LED bar is mangled as it protruded, but for the most part the steel bumper is in good condition
>Pieces of green paint all over the red plastic cover
>Smell of burnt clutch filled the air

You just never know when you're going to encounter someone that's willing to do extreme things when you're an asshole, user.

This shit happens because there aren't enough aggressive drivers on the road. Every time I go to college I get stuck in the fuckin parade. Someone 3 or 4 cars up is doing 10 under, yet the slow driver isn't getting tailgated, honked, flashed at, or a combination of the three. If someone doesn't respond to the aggressive maneuvers you just pass them on the double yellows. Let them call the cops, unless they got a dash cam you can't get ticked for dick.

You're a god among men

nah I was just being a wigger at the time.

I always see morons speeding up and tailgating drivers in the left lane, even though they're doing the limit and can't get over, and eventually another moron starts tailgating that moron and like a moron vacuum another moron starts tailgating that asshole, until you have 8 or so assholes bumper to bumper constantly tapping their brakes

and I just keep driving the limit

The minivan drivers around here are fucking crazy.
I cruise at 80, and there are minivans flying passed me in the morning.

It's always crossovers are there doing 10 below in the left lane.

The real moron is the guy who is just coasting in the left lane. He needs to get over.

People that drive past highway traffc jams on the damn stopping lane
i get it we are all brainlets and you are mensa tier

>I'm legally required to prevent myself from reasonably reaching my destination because I don't want to break the law

Good job California

This

>irony

You larper

Why are you here?

I hope that story is real

Fuck slow fags

>>He's bouncing between 40-45 in a 55
>>We're doing 95 in a shitbox 2.2 s10 fleeing the Forester
So you couldn't pass the Forester but you could lose it? Nice story cunt

i want to believe

>all these people that think going 10 over gets you to places faster
it fucking doesn't
whenever i'm driving home I always see fastfags overtake me, thinking they're getting to their destination quicker until I see them at the same set of lights as me a few miles down the road
and if it is effective, you're only saving yourself 5 minutes maximum

>just coasting in the left lane. He needs to get over

I go the speed limit...assholes can ride my ass all they want, it doesn't make me go any faster

why is it not common courtesy to leave a gap big enough for a car to fit into between you and the person in front?
if you're gonna be a little bitch and not overtake them, let me overtake you so I can also overtake them

You can't coast in the left lane whether you're doing the limit or not. You can't take the moral highground while still breaking the law. All that besides why the fuck are you on Veeky Forums if you drive like a gran going to get Sunday dinner from the grocer?

Some people just enjoy driving faster.

If I'm on backroads I'll pull over for someone if I'm holding them up and there is space to do so safely. If I'm in the city: fuck whoever is behind me. If I were to pull over for everyone going faster than me, I would never get to my destination.

I saved half an hour going from Dallas to Austin at 90mph most of the way.

so do I, but I know that on some roads speeding doesn't change much, so why not just chill out and relax?

"keep right except to pass"
You are breaking the law

I'm just saying, they might not be thinking they are getting to thier destination quicker.

>Why is it not common courtesy or an unwritten rule (or ideally, the law) that if you are holding up a bunch of traffic to pull over/slow down and let drivers behind you pass?

It is in Washington. Doesn't stop people from ignoring the signs and continuing to chug over the pass at 30 mph in their clapped-out Silverado towing a 40-foot trailer.

>Saving 5 minutes maximum
And thats 5 minutes I don't have to spend driving behind your slow ass, fuckstick

>tfw going 20km/h under the speed limit without letting faster vehicles pass is illegal where i live
pretty sure it is classed as careless driving so people regularly pull over and let others pass.
not doing so tends to cause dangerous situations and accidents.
the only people who don't are tourists from other states.

>riding black spur
>still learning, so not that fast yet
>car in front of me is doing a good speed, so I'm just pacing them
>they pull over to let me pass

and what ever so productive thing will you use those saved 5 minutes for? helping to cure cancer?

>Girl in highschool who drove a minivan accused three guys of rape
Are minivans a red flag?

>Drive corvette
>Love relaxing cruises down single lane roads
>Going 10 under
>Always get smart asses who try to pass me
>Floor it as they try to overtake and watch them disappear in the rear view mirror
>Coast and wait for the to catch up
They usually learn their lesson after the first time. All it takes is for them to be put in their place. I am the lion, the king of the jungle and I make the rules and you will learn some god damn respect.

Yes.

Browsing Veeky Forums, of course

No, you are, because you're preventing me from passing thus disrupting the normal flow of traffic.

>Why is it not common courtesy or an unwritten rule (or ideally, the law)
It is a rule, it is the law. It has nothing to do with the government not regulating enough, it's people who do that lack common courtesy and should not be driving you autismal jackass.

Get to work on time, instead of having to sit there for any longer than I have to or be late.

Yfw you get BTFO and overtaken by a more powerful faster car than your gm mid-life crisis boomer vehicle

>Why is it not common courtesy or an unwritten rule
It already is. It's just that there are many assholes and clueless people on the road

Checked

Holy kek I actually believe this

That's mostly because main roads in Florida are flat and have turns big enough that a top heavy semi can go through at 10 over without difficulty.

>honking the horn
>aggressive

used to live near Williamsburg Brooklyn and the Sids drive nothing but Siennas and Odysseys for their low-shekel maintenance needs and 6-kid Section 8 spawn

I dunno man, I've got a kiwi friend and they all seem mildly retarded AND insane. I could believe it happening, maybe not that dudes exact story though.

Driving a car is LARPing. Unless you're a bus/cab driver or a literal race car driver you've no excuse for driving a car in 2017. With respect to every quantifiable metric, vastly better alternatives exist.

>doesn't know you can get a ticket for reckless endangerment for driving too slow.

I don't live in america: the post.

>Driving to work on single lane highway with double lane sections every 3km or so
>Some old farmer in a beat up ute is holding up a line of about 10 cars, quite a common sight here
>Speed limit is 100km/h, old mate farmer is sitting at 80km/h for whatever godforsaken reason
>Gets to a double lane section with an overtaking lane
>Suddenly, he accelerates to 120km/h so nobody overtakes him
>Double lane section ends, lo and behold he drops his speed back to 80km/h, with the entire line of frustrated drivers behind him

Why oh why do people do this? What do you gain by having everyone behind you? This shit literally happens several times a week. These are the times that I'm glad I don't have a gun, I swear to god I would kneecap the fucking ignorant scum who do this shit.

Some people on the Ortega Highway, depsite all of its ample turn-offs, do this.

Maybe they are afraid to do 55 MPH through a windy mountain canyon road, but they leave 30 cars behind them.

Calm down mate, or else you'll end up like this cunt
youtu.be/NX16WQjIWxY

Yeah no, I can't get to work or anywhere without my car. No public transport at all and everything is far, far away

wow is california based?

Get fucked, faggot

>telling other people how to spend their time
found the hillary voter

i think in most places the police might use their discretion to say that it's dangerous or obstructive driving, even though there might not be a law stating specifically that slow driving is illegal. it's happened a few times here in englandland anyway.

When I'm in the left lane I never leave a big gap between myself and the person in front unless they're going over 75mph, especially in heavy traffic. Too many people merge and then end up going way slower than you were going. The trick is not to tailgate but be just close enough so they have to merge behind you

There is a law for that. Five cars or more behind you, you'll need to pull over and let them pass

>It is a rule, it is the law

Yeah? Well I've never heard of it being a widespread rule or law.

Prove it, faggot.

The only this actually happened was when I was doing a cross country road trip. I was a couple hours from Dallas heading east and a pickup was in the road going like 5 or 10 mph under speed limit. Actually pulled over to just let me pass, there wasn't a line of cars, just me and I wasn't tailgating either. Was so surprised considering I hear a lot of shit about TX drivers. Now if only ME and VT drivers would catch on to that courtesy.

No, you should know the laws that govern your roads. I'm not going to spoonfeed your stupid retard faggot ass

>live in MassiveJewShits
>everyone here either does not know how to drive properly or dives like a total dick
>some people ignore yield signs, others treat them as stop signs no matter what
>geezers doing 10-15 under
>boiracers and soccermoms doing 20-30 over
>brodozers with blinding light bars at eye level
>stancefags with fartcans doing 20mph everywhere
>women in giant SUVs not paying attention and crashing into shit like it’s nothing
>lifelong residents that still can’t into snow driving despite AWD and TCS
>salt will kill your car
>potholes will kill your suspension and wheels
>shit wintertime gas
>rediculous inspection laws
>gun laws shit
>high income tax

Why the fuck do I still live here?

Because americans like to pretend to be cops

>I'm doing you all a favor
>Going fast is dangerous
>I'm not going to let you break the law
>it's the speed LIMIT not the speed MINIMUM
>i feel so powerful and justified right now, this is the only time of day i feel like this, the rest is spent listening to my wife bitch or doing whatever the ugly old fuck that is my boss says

>Living in a state with salted roads, front plates, and state income tax
LMAO

it's because you are likely to accelerate like a gas sipping grandma which backs up stoplights like mad
>10 second cycle
>3 cars get through, 4 if you count the one that runs the red while tailgaiting

every time you pass someone, you are more likely to actually make it through the next light on the first cycle because NOBODY KNOWS THE GAS PEDAL GOES MORE THAN 1/4 OF THE WAY DOWN

you laugh and say "haha hi dude nice red light we're having" at first

but several lights later you wonder where the fuck they went (if they actually succeeded in passing people and didn't get boxed in by self righteous dickheads)

absolutely nobody would have a reason to drive aggressively if there was a minimum for acceleration and you could get ticketed for unreasonably slow driving

The same shit happened to me in north jersey. TX plate doing the speed limit pulled over to let me pass. I didn't even come on him that fast, he just felt the need to let me go. Maybe Texas drivers are actually decent?

>ninja rocks.

my car is procharged so fuck you cunt. ill even run you off the road.
do that shit at night to after ive had a bad day, i just might fire a few shots at you

inb4 dashcam, no you dont.

>le internet tough guy

tough in real life to fortunately

Whenever this happens, I floor it by them laying on the horn and holding up both middle fingers as I pass. Fuck those scum, they're the lowest form of life.

Fite me fgt

I pass them and brake check the entire highway lane to 15 mph. Then speed off and watch everyone over take the faggot. I put Brembos on my Camry for this.

>slow ass drivers doing 35 in 40
REEEEEEEEEEE GTFO MY WAY I NEED TO GET HOME AND SHITPOST ON Veeky Forums / P/o/L

LIVE LAUGH DRIVE MPOWER

Man, Brooklyn got weird in the last 10 years.
My cousin lives in Park Slope and it got super ritzy, and even Williamsburg has expensive stuff now...

>tfw in NH rn
2/3 is OK