What's this type of car asthetic called?

See it on plenty of old American cars pre 2000 (while not exclusive to US cars). I've always had a soft spot for this asthetic but I can't find the name of it.
>inb4 euros start hating on it

landau

It's not even just the roof though, chrome bumper, always have hubcaps, never alloys, clean uniform design, lines of chrome or silver runing across the car.

The GrandmotherGangster look?

Malaise

the kitano

90s luxury car

>always have hubcaps, never alloys
Those are alloys on the Town Car in your image.

I don't think there's a name for it. It's simply been the popular styling for American executive cars from the late 80s and early 90s, before everything became bean shaped or started taking cues from foreign competition. At the time you could still spot remnants of the neo-brougham trend of the '70s, which in turn tried to reference the '30s. I think the vertical rear windows and landau roofs were meant to resemble pre-war cars, and it was also the latest occurence of boxy vertical grilles also dating back to the '30s and repopularized in the '70s. Some models more or less successfully tried to blend neo-classic elements with more modern styling.

Really? That's very surprising, I had always assumed they where hubcaps

>comfy
>Mustang V8 with accessible parts supply
>RWD
>IRS
What's the Cougar's catch?

Nope. Here's a higher res image where you can see them more clearly- the wheel I posted in is close but not exact, but it's difficult to find a picture of just the wheel. Typical older American land-barges almost always had steelies with hubcaps, either wire-type or dog dish, but Panthers had alloys more often than not, at least for the aero and early whale generations; everyone recognizes a Crown Vic's plain steelies with either the silver Interceptor center hub or the flat 'daisy' style civilian hubcap, but Town Cars had alloy wheels of various sorts as standard equipment and IIRC most Marquis had them as well, even if they weren't quite as fancy.

The last couple years are ugly, automatic only, and have a bunch of missing features due to Ford ending production; earlier years are nicer but not always easy to find in V8 form, with the non-supercharged 3.8 V6 being more common. I'd love to own a clean one, though. The Mark VIII is obviously even better performance-wise but the looks are really lacking compared to the VII; however the VII is still on the Fox platform so no IRS for you, not to mention the maintenance/repair costs for both with shit like four-corners air suspension and neon brakelights, and again automatic only for both.

That 302 made 100 HP on a good day

200 and some actually, iirc that gen always had a slightly differently tuned Mustang GT engine if you picked the V8.

MN12 Cougars got the 4.6 Modular in '94 through '97. Ferd used the same V8s in most of their V8-powered cars (Mustang, Thunderbird platform, Panther platform) with a couple years difference here and there and occasional updates like the 2v to 3v 4.6.

80s malaise.

Slightly different from 70s malaise.

>tfw no Mercury Cougar SVT Cobra

Malaise trash
I hate shitboxes that look like this, especially wagons

I call it "classic American car design"

i remember this exact thread with the same image
since i own a 91' dodge dynasty

if i were to get a different car, i'm getting the new yorker. the dynasty, new yorker, and imperial are all great cars. superior styling and typically come with the easy to work on bullet proof 3.3l v6.

I had a 89 dynasty and it was glorious. Body lines are beautiful and the inside retained that old American sedan openness and plush seats that got abandoned when they started trying to imitate German trash.

Water pump died on the interstate and the aluminum block didn't stand a chance rust in peace you beautiful heap.

My dad and I call those public assistance cars.

It's called a transition from 80s box to 90s bubble.