/sthg/ - Sonic The Hedgehog General

Welcome to the Sonic General. Here we talk about all things Sonic! Share art and music, talk about new developments, discuss ROM hacks, speedrunning, and more.

/sthg/ #814 - Buddy Edition.

>Link CompilationSonic News<
Sonic Mania vids:
6 Minutes of Gameplay : youtu.be/uB9RP2SV8HY
Green Hill Boss : youtu.be/X1GZbQgtGLY
Chemical Plant : youtu.be/4TX2I3iUORQ
youtu.be/52UGIIIp9WE
Pre-order Trailer: youtu.be/wvD8NZN9Zsg

Sonic Forces vids:
Sonic Forces E3 trailer:
youtu.be/dprxYd_16Ck
7 minutes of Gameplay: youtu.be/fyTzm8WgtlE
Full level Gameplay: youtu.be/6g6_rRqjlCI
Avatar Gameplay: youtu.be/TJZfptketUc
>Drawfag/Writefag Idea WallsGeneral Interest Links

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tdFq8ezm_x4
youtube.com/watch?v=Vak7Lv1fMVw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

But Egg Fleet is easily the best level in the entire game.

A date to DIE for!

Buddy is sad. Say something nice to him, /sthg/!

NERRRRRRRRRRRD

>Didn't two devs get extremely ill overworking during X-treme's development.
Yeah, Sega has a serious problem with overworking their employees, especially on Sonic Team. My friend is telling me one of them nearly died of Pneumonia and had to restart the game twice. They even tried to use the NiGHTS engine and then Naka said GET FUCKED.

Yeah, it shows that Sonic Heroes is an awesome game crafted with lots of love and labor.

Takashi "Who cares if Shadow swears?" Iizuka

Does green girl count as an animal?

I would do horrible unspeakably gay things to Buddy if i ever got my hands on him.

Some Harmonica user from earlier remind me to ask, how does one get or make a musical transcript/sheet?

Why does he look so weird?

>awesome music that can't be heard because of the constant rail grinding noise
>tons of areas that require you to beat every robot to continue
>goes on for too damn long
>good atmosphere that you can't take in because you spend most of your time in small enclosed areas beating robots to continue
>too focused on beating robots instead of platforming

this is not the best level in the game

I'll lick his glasses clean if they're dirty. For him of course

Please cease to exist.

Don't matter since I'm still callin' dibs.

Claiming best girl!

Sticks.

New episode of Sonic Unleashed.
youtube.com/watch?v=tdFq8ezm_x4

youtube.com/watch?v=Vak7Lv1fMVw

Fuck off.

I wanna be tied down and have Merlina shove her staff right up my toot-hole

I like Best Friends Play better.

And I miss Liam.

Lol butthurt.

>>>/reddit/

You really gonna be "that guy?"

Why do they sound stoned? I thought this was kids show?

It's aimed at teens and manchildren not kids.

Sonic believes in you, Buddy.

Kids do anyways. Poor things will grow up to have shit taste.

Shill somewhere else

Yeah you're right user Dan and Arin totally paid me to post that.

Either way, post that shit somewhere else

Top 10 video game bromances

Are y'all really gonna cry over game grumps?
Kek.

Thinking GG is garbage =/= crying, my man

figures walrus faggot likes gamedumps.

>types y'all unironically
>likes game grumps
Come on, Rotorfag, you're better than this.

This is Classic Sonic. Say something nice to him

Fatty Ratty

Forces would be a better game without you.

You knew how to physics

Always the cutest Sonic.

You're cute.

I'm a complete beginner to music theory and instruments in general but there's three ways that I know of to to get sheet music for video game music:
1) Figure it out by ear and use a program to make the sheet music. I imagine this isn't too hard if you've been playing for a long time but for someone like me this isn't possible
2) Look for covers on Youtube. Sometimes people post their sheet music. Alternatively, check out musescore or another sheet music site
3) Go on vgmusic.com and find a MIDI for the song you want, open it in some kind of MIDI editor, isolate the instrument that you want to learn, and generate the sheet notation for that. I'm sure I'm getting a lot of the terminology wrong in my explanation but this method almost always gives me what I need. It's tedious but it gets results. You're screwed if no one made a MIDI for the song you want though. I'm having this problem with Empire City's music from Sonic Unleashed

I'm sure there are much better ways to do this but again I'm a novice to music theory so this is just what I know

try what I wrote above. I'm also learning to play the harmonica and that's what I do to get my tabs. HarpTabs is really lacking in video game tabs so you usually have to make them yourself. Harmony Assistant on OSX works decently well for generating tabs from MIDIs. It does diatonic, chromatic, and some of the other different harps. You can also adjust the pitch of the music which is useful since harmonicas have limited ranges compared to other instruments and can't play certain notes. The interface looks like it's from 1998 but it still works. I think it's on Windows too but I'm pretty sure there are much better programs for this. HA is one of the only options on OSX so it's all I know

Pic related is how we should be handling Sonic's speed.

Thank you so much for your input, user. I wanted to give attention to that user but I was also curious myself.

Never played Spyro. How does his charge work?

STOP CALLING ME CUTE

What, that hates buddy? I'm not the only one.

Base analog movement is a much slower trot meant for platforming. Charging propels him forward automatically.

You're such a cutie.
I want to pet you and make you purr.

You're a cutie that I want to snuggle in bed like a plushie.

I too like to look up her skirt.

Why? I don't think there are any Chaos Emeralds there.

No, you stole my girl, bro. Not cool.

>tfw you're the only one that liked the insta-shield from Sonic 3 and it won't be returning in Mania

They gotta draw you in for the sequels somehow, user.

We already had that. It was the 'run' function in Lost World. And it fucking sucked.

Hell, arguably we have that now with the boost mechanic.

needs more mascot deer

also HOLY FUCK LESS THAN 3 WEEKS FOR /STHG/'S THIRD FUCKING BIRTHDAY

spyros charge is much better to control than sonic's boost

also maybe lost world could've worked but the level design didn't do much to show off the running in 3D.

>Mania sequels
h-haha, yea..

As a kid I literally never used the insta-shield because I thought it was dogshit. It was only fairly recently I was playing through it again and I realized that it was totally fucking awesome. The insta-shield and elemental shield gave Sonic so many options in S3&K, god damn, holy shit what a good game. Does anyone else in here like S3&K???

Pretty sure everyone liked the insta-shield. I'm also sad that it won't be returning, specially since the drop dash doesn't look like it'll require the same amount of skill as the insta-shield to be used or be as thrilling as the insta-shield was.

>We already had that. It was the 'run' function in Lost World. And it fucking sucked.
That's...what? That's not what the run button does, you retard. The run button in LW was like in Mario. You hold it WHILE you move. It doesn't automatically propel you. Even if it did, Sonic's base movement is way too slow, and so is his run speed. The run speed was so slow there was literally no reason you'd want to not run in the first place. Spyro wasn't like that, there were multiple situations where it wasn't wise to charge especially since you could hit your head on walls.
>Hell, arguably we have that now with the boost mechanic.
True but it makes you invulnerable and Sonic still moves like a tank down linear corridors. Sonic also instantly goes to top speed, where in reality he should slooowly reach top speed like an accelerator.

I thought everyone liked the insta-shield. That junk was wicked tight once you got the timing down

What're you talking about? There's plenty of stages to reuse.

Same here, although I never went to go back to use it properly.

2slow, and I already did it last time too.

Seriously, I had no idea someone actually disliked it.

>What're you talking about? There's plenty of stages to reuse.

I'm assuming that they don't believe that Mania is going to have a sequel because they have doubt that the creators have a plan of doing a second/third/etc rather than the amount of content, user.

I only disliked it as a kid because I was stupid and thought I should be using it defensively because, y'know, it's the insta-*shield*. And while it does have some application for shielding projectiles and shit the far better option is to use it offensively.

I know being optimistic at all ever is stupid but I have hope Mania will sell so well and somehow be reviewed well enough that they have no choice but to let them make a sequel. I have no doubt in my mind Taxman/Stealth/PW could make another Mania, there are plenty of classic levels to remake, or better yet they could make an entirely original game. I mean is there any reason to think they couldn't or wouldn't want to? The only issue is will SEGA let them.

I FINALLY GOT ALL 7 EMERALDS WITH SONIC IN ADVANCE 2, FUCK YES!

In all honesty, I can totally see a Mania 2 happening. After all, what better way to make the Sonic fanbase happy than by making games for the 2D & 3D fans, thus making more money?

I'm kind of sad that nobody thought to ask Toby to draw Bump

There's so many people that really think that there's going to be a Mania II. For some reason, I just don't feel like it's going to happen or that it's necessary.

Congrats, user.

I was being sarcastic, and even if we did get a Mania 2 Iizuka would fuck it up somehow.

Holy fuck how didn't I think of this before.

if it's popular and well received well see

there's also potential for the revived 2D game series

make a game that doesn't have recreations of old zones/bosses
try and use HD sprites

I want Mania to be a fully-fledged side-series for two reasons:

1) We haven't had a 2D side-series ever since Sega stopped giving a shit about Dimps and relegated them to "shitty bargain bin portable version of console game" duty
2) It'll hopefully finally clue Iizuka into the fact that we want actual proper classic gameplay for real and not just slapping old badnick designs and checker-pattern dirt onto bland generic 2D platformers like Sonic 4 and Classic Generations/Forces were/will be.

My bad, user. But I was considering about others who may be serious about it. Can't say how they would, but to me, the game wouldn't feel as special if there's a direct sequel; however..

It'd be interesting to see a brand new/continuation with 2D series as well. It's a good point. I just want to see "experimentation" (as in, not reusing levels for example).

I haven't thought about Dimps in awhile. It'd be nice to see handheld games every now and then again without it being a port of a major game.

I hope Mania bombs hard.

I hope Mania doesn't bomb hard.

keep hoping' kid cos' it ain't gonna happen.

If Team Dark isn't cooler and better than Team Sonic, why are they the hard mode?

0/10 busted game
before anyone starts shit, im joking

Legitimately, a game adaptation of Mega Drive would be the best idea for a hypothetical Mania 2.

>new levels already thought of
>new badniks and bosses already thought of
>possible partner mechanic already thought of
>package the collector's edition with a trade paperback of the comic issues
>already have a double dose of positive press from both Mega Drive and Mania itself
Enough new and experimental to keep things interesting while also keeping to the classic-style gameplay and designs, and most of the initial design phase is already done which would cut down on the time and budget to make it. It'd be a slam dunk instant hit.

I hope they shit all over it like they did Boom.
Fuck that game.

Exactly. Team Dark is for pros. If you don't like them, you are probably a scrub.

Even if something catastrophically bad happened to Mania, like what happened to Boom, people would still love it. They would cry over it's disfigured corpse instead of pissing on the burning remains. It would still win awards.

are they?
iirc, only their levels were changed to be hard
they as a team dont behave much differently to the others

When you say this, do you mean every single level from Sonic 1-3&K are put together and recreated?

Redpill me on 3D Blast.

They're not even that much harder, really. The stages are just longer.

I mean the comic.

Their stages are the same length as Team Sonic's.

k

screwy controls and forced retrieval missions
not much else to say about it

I was thinking about the system, my bad.

Fuck everyone, these are cute NPCs.